A Suggestion for the Thom Hartmann Message Boards

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Choco
Choco's picture

I suggest that Thom consider pinning a thread, much like the bumper music thread, that allows participants on these message boards to recommend a guest for Thom to interview and for the submitter to provide the reasons why we need to hear from this person. I've thought about this for awhile, but Thom's recent interview with Chris Hedges was very popular and the interview may or may not have stemmed from the interest in Hedges on this board. For instance, I just copied this from .ren;

.ren wrote:

Antifascist wrote:
Thom is the greatest. Thom had Chris Hedges on for an interview  " Death of the Liberal Class" in early November and is one of Thom's best interviews. And I detect that Thom knows there is a gold vein of insights in Hedges' method and critique of our society.

Several threads cropped up related to that interview. 

Thom - more extended guest segments!

Chris Hedges on Thom Hartmann, my favorite quote

GOD that was a great show today

It would appear Chris on Thom's show was a big hit with those who are listening to Thom.  I don't recall any other guests getting that much notice on this board.

There are many ways to format this and I trust the TH crew would figure out how to do it and maybe even include a poll (if this site has that capability?) to priortize the guests. I think we all have a lot of people in mind, but for this experiment, perhaps we should limit our submissions to one or two each until the backlog clears.

In any case, I will go first. I would like to hear from and have the public hear from Janine R. WedeL, the author of the 2009 book: Shadow Elite: How the World's New Power Brokers Undermine Democracy, Government, and the Free Market

From the back jacket leaf: ". . . Wedel is a professor in the School of Public Policy at George Mason U and a fellow at the New America Foundation. Her previous books include Collision and Collusion. She lives in Washington, DC."

She is a social anthropologist. A refreshing change from the sociopath apologists we normally are forced to endure by the MSM.

My Reasons: I've maintained that much of politics is theater, that presidents are front men doing the bidding of the globalist billionaires, power brokers, money masters, PNAC NeoCons, neoliberals, banksters, insert your favorite description here. This vagueness of who is really screwing up America and the world does not help us to properly identify the culprits and work on solutions. We are basically reduced to bitchin' about the corrupt billionaires and unequitable systems, not that all billionaires are corrupt.

Wedel digs into the NeoCons, into the Soviet demise and the birth of Russian crony capitalism, uncovers disturbing conflicts of interests and gives us some new words to add to our political/social lexicon.

She talks about "flexians," "flex networks," as people and networks of people who are ever at the nexus of state and corporate power. These people move in and out of state jobs and corporate jobs and form counsuting firms and advise govt. and media outlets in which ever way suits their ambitions.

For instance, she points out that a lot of streamlining, (read: deregulation) of govt contracts to private corporations came about under Clinton. She seems to deal in facts and is not overtly partisan, but her facts lead her more often than not to America's No 1 corporate party, the republicans. In any case, she's alerted me to Federal Acquisition Streamlining Act (FASA)  of 1994 and the Federal Acquisition Reform Act (FARA) of 1996.

She explains how these two acts removed many of the traditional competition and oversight mechanisms that had been in place for decades. And she gives another insidious acronym to chew on: Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) system, under which an estimated 40 percent of all fed govt. contracts are now awarded. This IDIQ is essentialy a mechanism that assures that favored contractors get perpetual and first right of refusal consideration for govt. contracts. Maybe this is what she means in her subtitle by undermining the free market.

I've actually just got into the book since yesterday, but it is full of substance and validates my view that we need to shine the light of truth on the parasitic organisms that are leaching this country of its economic and social life blood.

Comments

Choco
Choco's picture
Bump, got to try again. I

Bump, got to try again. I still think it's a good idea.

.ren
.ren's picture
I agree.

I agree.

Choco
Choco's picture
.ren wrote: I agree. Since

.ren wrote:

I agree.

Since Hedges has been cleared, who would be your first choice and why?

.ren
.ren's picture
I think Richard Heinberg

I think Richard Heinberg would complement Thom's latest book.  They could have a synergistic discussion, building deeply on points instead of trivializing each other with a superficial antagonistic disagreement.

DanP
DanP's picture
There is an inventor,

There is an inventor, featured in the film, "Who Killed the Electric Car" named Stan Ovshinsky.  I think he would make an interesting interview.  Another interesting interview, though I know he has fallen out with the "green" crowd...if Thomm could get him, that is...is James Lovelock.  I have only read two of his books, but I found them both pretty interesting, and I agree with much of what he has to say.  Just two ideas on who may make good interviews.....................................................