Top ten favorite progressive voices

9 posts / 0 new

It is the time of year for this kind of shit, so I thought I would throw my top ten living progressive voices out there. In no particular order

Thom Hartman

Chris Hedges

Noam Chomsky

Michael Hudson

Naomi Klien

Jeremy Scahill

Ralph Nader

Slavoy Zizek

Raj Patel

Paul Stamets

Yes the list is a bit predictable perhaps, and Paul is probably a Northern California kind of thing. Chomsky has violated my sense of progressive values with his stands on several issues, but it would be tough to leave him out. If others want to throw just a name ot two and forgo the somewhat hokey nature of top ten lists feel free.

mattnapa's picture
mattnapa

Comments

I would throw in some guys on main stream television too.. Ed Shultz, Keith Olberman, Chris Matthews, John Stewart, the writers of Saturday Night Live.

They are more centrist than your list but also have a much bigger audience, and they're putting bits and pieces of the liberal story out there and fighting for them via powerful soundbites. T.V. really can't go deep into an issue because time on T.V. is too valuable, but the auditory/visual combo is a super stimuli that is hard to beat with a book or radio.. in terms of changing minds.

Progressives who have been/are senators/congressmen:

Bernie Sanders
Nanci Pelosi
Russ Fiengold
Alan Grayson

Liberals who have passed on:
FDR, Thomas Jefferson, Albert Einstein, Martin Luther King Jr, Jesus, The Buddha, Da Vinci, Gandhi.

Also living spiritual leaders...
The Dali Lama

That said, my top 10 are definitely the dead ones...

makuck's picture
makuck

I really like Randi Rhodes too.

JeffMia's picture
JeffMia

Amy Goodman would certainly be on the list if it was a top ten of those who are helping the progressive cause. But I do not consider here as voice for the progressive cause unless you consider her talent for questioning guests, in a sense, a voice

mattnapa's picture
mattnapa

Paul Krugman, and Brad DeLong, liberal economics professors.

Markos of DailyKos.

Jon Stewart

Rep. Anthony Weiner

Rep Barney Frank

Keith Olberman

Thom Hartmann

Sen Sherrod Brown

and 10- Stephie and the Mooks

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Jim Hightower! and the late great Howard Zinn and Molly Ivins.. gee, I miss Molly Ivins!

harry ashburn

I like listening to Karel on Green960. He takes no prisoners and can be very funny sometimes. In the same way I also like Mike Malloy. I think we have a mix here of pundits and talk hosts. I also like Peter B. Also I sense that some more moderate hosts are swinging more to the left given the right of center course by the Obama administration.

BTW, I was on my way to relatives for Xmas Eve and listening to Karel. He read a Sears spot. I wonder how soon Thom will be reading a Walmart spot?

captbebops's picture
captbebops

I nominate JOHN TRUDELL

he is truly from the LEFT - or BEYOND the left - not a mainstream supposed left -

"We've been Given an Opportunity"

http://www.youtube.com/user/mothersworldmedia#p/a/96A51042594C116D/1/w-V...

mtdon's picture
mtdon

Sheldon Wollin, Princeton Univ.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.