The Big Picture and the "Seven words you can't say on TV"

1 post / 0 new

I was curious as to Free Speech TVs, The Thom Hartmann Show, and the Big Picture standings with the FCC and Standards and Practices.

Since the Thom Hartmann show is also on the radio, I understand that there is no swearing.

Does this apply to The Big Picture? Or does that show still fall under the FCC?

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking someone like Abbie Hoffman wouldn't be allowed on Free Speech TV (!) becuase he liked to lace in a few "mutha f*s" in his well informed political speeches. He even had the F-Word written on his forehead in Chicago '68. (this is my first post on this site, can I swear?)

Not that swearing makes or breaks a political argument or "rumble", but how is it that someone advancing an argument for policies in which more poor people must suffer and die with a calm voice, is described as "civil", yet calling that hypothetical person out as a SOB... we (American mainstream) are still programmed to react like aghast prudish Victorians dropping their monocles in shock, "I say, how vulgar!"

How do people feel about tone policing, and censorship therein?

Ergoat's picture
Ergoat

Currently Chatting

Can Democrats Set Out a New Path?

Democrats must embrace a pro-government platform, not run away from it.

Those were the sentiments of Senator Chuck Schumer today, in a speech given at the National Press Club. Talking about the reasons for Democrats’ losses on Election Day, Schumer said that those losses were proof that the American people and middle-class want a government that will work more effectively for them.