CONservative propaganda/rhetoric: List & Links please!

13 posts / 0 new

Yesterday (1/10/11) morning, Thom had a wonderful "montage" illustrating the various violent speech perpetuated by CONservative politicians and media personalities.

Is this clip available in totality for Progressives to share with the world? Or just a list of the examples (with links to the actual clips too?)?

Thank you!

bjdzyak's picture
bjdzyak

Comments

Yup, a collection of violent and hateful speech can be found in this link

Paleo-con

There are people spewing so-called "Hate speech" on both sides of the aisle, but you wouldn't know it from the Thom Hartmann show. On the other hand, I hear Thom using terms like "war criminals," "banksters" and "really really mind-numbingly ugly" along with lots of other provocative phrases. Thom also has a habit of shouting down and ridiculing guests and callers who don't happen to agree with him- he has the right to do this but its not very respectful. I also recall seeing a post on this board a few days ago calling Republicans "terrorists" for not supporting the Obama health care plan. I can't seem to find that post now but I know it was here; was it taken down? The fact is that all these statements, on both sides, are protected by the First Amendment. The First Amendment is there to protect all kinds of speech but especially the controversial speech. We don't need the First Amendment to protect Sesame Street or Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood- we need it to protect the controversial statements that come from the entire political spectrum.

Thanks for posting this link, Paleo-con. Maybe this will help people who follow this website to see that this is not a one-sided issue, and also to stop blaming Sarah Palin or the Tea Party for the actions of an insane lunatic.

Openminded neocon's picture
Openminded neocon

A list of many other violent incidents and incitement to violence titled Insurrectionism Timeline from the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. Loughner is at the bottom - it's shot full of Republican, Tea Party and further right-wing-nut rhetoric espousing gun violence and actual incidents over just the last 2 years. It includes a double homicide at a church by a man who complained that he couldn't shoot 100 Congressmen so... he 'symbolically' killed people at church. Language of murder, actual murders and murdering the language too...

Again, the US hanged the Nazis as war criminals for starting the war, and the US hanged Japanese generals for torture including waterboarding - known as torture since the Spanish Inquisition (before Columbus landed in America). Former President George Bush is quite proud of his actions in starting the war and in ordering torture. Starting a war is the source of ALL war crimes and ALL deaths in the war. So .... war criminal is an accurate term. Furthermore, it is not a call for vigilante justice but a call for repudiation as the instigator of well over 100 times as many deaths as 9-11. Read the Declaration of Independence: it was self-evident to the Founders that ALL people have a right to life - there is no surer abrogation of the right to life than starting a war.

LeMoyne's picture
LeMoyne

Wow. It just goes on and on, doesn't it?

Art's picture
Art

The wars go on and on alright.... the death toll piles up.

There is no greater incitement to violence than starting a war.

LeMoyne's picture
LeMoyne
Quote Paleo-con:

Yup, a collection of violent and hateful speech can be found in this link

Nice try, and this IS a good collection of LW "hate speech" but to me there's a difference between the ignorants and peons of both sides making this speech and the actions and speech of their leaders. In my estimation, and this is my opinion only, there is much more incendiary rhetoric coming from the RW leadership establishment, including politicians. Joe Wilson, who shouted down the President on National TV, now has a special edition "You Lie!" rifle on sale in S.C.???? This is over the top. Come on.

It's one thing for punditry of both sides to spew vitriolic rhetoric. I guess it's part of their industry. But elected politicians are another matter. This gives such virtiol and actions legitimacy.

The LW, as usual, is missing the point in arguing "battle of the quotes." What's inarguable is that the Republican BRAND increasingly includes guns, gun imagery, and revolutionary imagery. Because they are so good at branding, they can't run from that. It's like that big ugly tatoo that you can't hide on prom night. It's the BRAND stupid.

Of course it didn't cause this nut case to shoot up everybody. But when you have a BRAND such as this, there are risks and the finger will point your way when a nut job strikes. In my estimation, this shows the bad judgement made by the Republican leadership to allow such people like Palin, Bachman, Joe Wilson, "Baby killer" Neugabarger, Steve King, etc. etc. etc. run wild with the vitriol with no restraint. And it's the reason I abandoned the Republicans and now a Dem supporter.

You can cite as many references of illegal immigrant or black rallies, or war protesters as you want - but I still don't see as much vitriol coming from Democratic or LW leadership. What would be the true equivalent would be someone like Raul Grialva using his bully pulpit to incite illegal immigrants to storm the border or urban Rep. Danny Davis to stoke the New Black Panthers.....If someone can supply any reliable sources of Dem pols doing that kind of stuff, then I'll reconsider my position.

al3's picture
al3
there's a difference between the ignorants and peons of both sides making this speech and the actions and speech of their leaders.
That really is what we're talking about.

Nope, I thought about it for a while, and I think it is the punditry. These are the opinion makers. The differences in the rhetoric are marked. After all. Limbaugh/et al are the leaders of the right wing.

Art's picture
Art

Speech cannot be violent. What happened to free will? How can anyone but the actor be responsible?

FrankChodorov's picture
FrankChodorov

Really, but don't you love to watch the Hitler Channel films of the speeches that got those crowds going! You can feel the power flowing and you know how well they scripted the PR and framed the messages, so it is amazing to see it work.

Was Hitler violent in his speech? Oh yeah, big time, red hot stuff.

Did German people have free will or were they in some compromised condition beyond responsibility?

Sorry Frank, you are wrong on every point here, even down to "the actor" being the only one with moral responsibility. The law may not be able to do more, but to claim that speech is just intellectual communication, that people are not seduced, persuaded and manipulated, or that those who practice these arts are not complicit is not true.

They are not absolved of responsibility by the fact of being seduced by pros; but restorative justice appreciates that being fooled is not the same sin as doing the fooling. It is much easier to have the victims 'repent' in the spirit of fooled me once than it is to get the criminals to face their guilt. They tend to be more careful for having been fooled. The criminals are another matter, but there are much fewer of them.

The Right has a history of rhetorical attacks on any sociological or psychological analysis of a crime if it appears to qualify "guilt" and threaten the ability to extract max punishment. I find their thinking highly ritualistic in demanding human sacrifice instead of pardon where we ought to be able to see with the eyes of grace. We avoid taking vengeance because it eats our souls, not just because it conflicts with "idealism." We do not hold the mentally ill "guilty" of crimes they do not understand; and we could learn to avoid repeating the story of Oliver Twist if we did not consider "stealing for bread to eat" a serious felony.

DRC's picture
DRC

How can the General of an army be responsible for what the Infantrymen do?

Art's picture
Art

Here's the leader of the Democratic party:

"I need you to go out and talk to your friends and talk to your neighbors. I want you to talk to them whether they are independent or whether they are Republican. I want you to argue with them and get in their face."
Barack Obama
September 18, 2008

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,”
Sen. Barack Obama
Radnor Middle School in Wayne, Pa., Saturday, June 14, 2008. (AP)

“A Republican majority in Congress would mean “hand-to-hand combat” on Capitol Hill for the next two years, threatening policies Democrats have enacted to stabilize the economy,”
President Barack Obama, October 6, 2010

“We’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us.”
President Barack Obama to Latinos, October 2010

“I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!”
President Barack Obama March 2010

“We talk to these folks… so I know whose *** to kick.“
President Barack Obama
June 2010

“Punish your enemies”
President Barack Obama
October 26, 2010

"I’m itching for a fight"
President Barack Obama
December 7, 2010

“It’s time to Fight for it.”
President Barack Obama
October 19, 2010

pwestwood's picture
pwestwood

PaleoCon's Malkin list of leftist badness contains alot of antiwar protests, thrown tomatoes, cream pies, shoes and goes back a decade. And this: Jared Loughner is a product of Sheriff Dupnik’s office

and a link to this:

Fear And Empathy - Barack Obama's Arizona Publicity Stunt Reichstag Fire

There is a concerted attempt by Barack Obama and his Hopium Guzzling Big Blog Boy allies to politically prop up Barack Obama using 6 corpses from Arizona.

Just can't talk about our President without making a Nazi reference? The whole site tries to prove Obama is bad because he is George Bush III? The headline backfires on the leftist hate speech thing and just who is trying to score political points on the tragedy?

The later list shows since becoming president (or nominee) Obama has said two angrys, a hand-to-hand combat (if Rs take Congress), two 'punish your enemies', two fights and a looking for an ass to kick.

But wait, one of the angrys and the kick ass is about the oil spill not directed at a Republican - and didn't the 11 dead people there make you a little upset? Please note that he hasn't kicked any ass over tri-corporate greed that killled more people than the assassination attempt and created an environmental disaster that will actually take away the livelihood of many Gulf Coast residents for years to come. Though the left truly wishes he would.

Take away the duplicate 'punish your enemies' and you are left with angry, hand-to-hand, combat, fight, punish our enemies. Pretty tepid compared with "If ballots don't work bullets will", Beck's assertion he could murder Michael Moore with his bare hands (despite Jesus telling him not to) and his nationwide bloodbath fantasies, the mob on the Capitol steps chanting the imperative form of kill thousands of times reaching a howling wordless crescendo when black Congressmen try to walk up the steps...

There are actual truck bombs, cop killings, killings in church and foiled assassination attempts in with the hate speech in the Insurrectionism Timeline. Exactly one environmental extremist on that list.

C'mon righties anything from a Dem politician to match this?

Quote CSGV Timeline:Rick Barber, a Tea Party candidate seeking the Republican nomination in Alabama's Second Congressional District, runs a campaign ad in which he compares taxation and "the tyrannical health care bill" to slavery and the extermination of Jews in Nazi Germany.

It was considered over the top for the left to compare Bush's wars of aggression, indefinite detention and torture to the analogous behavior of the Nazis but trying to get healthcare to everyone is like the Holocaust? Equivalent?!? Really!?!

Or anything like this from a Dem?

Quote Pima Cty Republican website:Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office

Shoot a fully automatic M16 with Jesse Kelly

Mr Kelly now offers his prayers ...

A gas line cut with small children in the home, multiple cop killings (law and order?), people killed in church because the right-wing-nut couldn't get to "all the Democrats in Congress" ... You probably didn't know that Giffords herself used to be a Republican ... I think she swiched because she got sick of the intolerance and hate.

Finally, there is the case of a Republican leaders in Arizona who resigned this week. Fearing violence from tea party activists, Arizona Legislative District 20 Republican Chairman Anthony Miller resigned from his position. "I don't want to take a bullet for anyone," says Miller, who cites verbal attacks and threatening blog posts and emails. He is a former campaign worker for U.S. Sen. John McCain (R-AZ). Miller also reports an incident in which a detractor made his hand into the shape of a gun and pointed it at him. Secretary Sophia Johnson, First Vice Chairman Roger Dickinson, and former district spokesman Jeff Kolb also resigned in fear &/or solidarity. Miller is black and was called "McCain's boy" by his detractors.

From before 9/11 to today the right has fostered fear and spewed hate until the demon of rage has been well raised. Now it is eating the Republican party out from the inside. Only the corporations are served by this discord, venom and denigration of our government of the people. The right will not dispel the demon by blaming the left. The only question is will the right own up to it or let it continue to drag US all over the cliff.

LeMoyne's picture
LeMoyne

Currently Chatting

We Need to Stop Worshipping Cops

If you protest police brutality and you don’t protest police deaths, then you’re a hypocrite.

That’s what conservatives have been saying ever since two New York City cops were murdered Saturday in an apparent revenge attack for the killings of Michael Brown and Eric Garner.