The Big Picture - tech problem - anyone else experiencing this

7 posts / 0 new

Other video podcasts play just fine and your old episodes still play fine. Here's what happens: About a third into the show, the video takes off as if I'm fast forwarding to the end of the show, while the audio is fine. But when the video gets to the end of the show it all stops. They play fine in my iTunes, but I'm just wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this problem.

dstack's picture
dstack

Comments

(I hit something on the keyboard that prematurely published my comment before I had a chance to edit it.)

I want to clarify that this a technical problem on my iPod (Classic). I believe that my iPod has little tolerance for the way The Big Picture is being encoded. The first few episodes played fine.

I re-encoded the podcast titled "Professor Harvey Kaye, Big Picture R" in Sony Vegas Pro 10.0. While the original version I downloaded does not work as previously discribed, my re-encoded version works great on my iPod.

I understand I may be the only person who's brought this up, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who's having this problem.

dstack's picture
dstack

Hello

We had one other report about this last week, that has been the only one so far.

We think it is something to do with specific versions of the iTunes/iPod software, but we have been unable to re-create the problem. The fact it plays OK in iTunes leads us to the conclusion that this is specific to the odd individual machine.

Not sure what help we can offer on this - sorry.

-Nigel- Webmaster

webmaster's picture
webmaster

I have exactly the same problem with my iPod Nano 8gb that dstack reports. My iPod is running the current version and no updates are available. I have been hoping the issue would go away, but finally decided to check the site and see that only one other person reported the problem.

Imaskeptic

I would also like to report; I am experiencing the same problem with my 5th generation Ipod Nano.

dwashjr's picture
dwashjr

DStack

I restored my iPod 5th Gen Nano to original and it still had the problem, went back to the current updates and it makes no difference. It behaves just as you describe.

I downloaded Vegas Pro 10 (trial) but don't know how you re-encode the video. Can you please give a quick overview? I'm tired of having to wait until I get home to pull up The Big Picture because I can't do streaming video at work.

Thanks,
Jim (Imaskeptic)

Imaskeptic

My classic pod is not accepting the show either. Is it possible you guys could add an audio only option for The Big Picture in itunes?

VJ's picture
VJ

Currently Chatting

The world we're leaving for today's teens...

Without immediate global action on climate change, today's teenagers will be forced to live with the consequences of our inaction. The World Bank has issued their third report of climate change, and it says that global temperatures could rise by as much as 4 degrees Celsius by the time today's teens hit their 80th birthday.