Did Superman Send Senator McCain to the Shadow Zone?

2 posts / 0 new

On the series, Smallville, Clark Kent ( The Blur/Superman) and friends battled a military commander who was based on the comic villain, Slade. In the comic version Slade wears a half mask that conceals most of his face, he is agile, devious, and a formidable adversary for the Teen Titan's, and related DC characters.

The Smallville version of Slade is played by an older actor, with a weak, yet raspy voice. He is introduced in one episode, and after suffering an explosion and anatomical reconstructions, appears in a later episode where he kills Hawkman and is consequently sent to the Shadow Zone by Clark Kent.

While I watched last episode with Slade, I couldn't figure out why they cast the actor who played Slade. I can't think of his name off hand, but there was something strangely familiar about him. After a while it started to bug me. I knew I have never seen that actor before, and he didn't look like the comic Slade, but he looked so familiar....then it came to me: Senator John McCain.

If you watch the episodes you will see what I mean. I have to wonder if the casting was intentional, or if it was merely a coincidence, but the actor moves, looks, and sounds just like McCain.

Has anyone seen these episodes, and what do you think?

Do you think it was meant as a political statement, a comic reference, or a coincidence?

Pathos's picture
Pathos

Comments

Here is a link to the episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiZJLCVweCY&feature=related

Pathos's picture
Pathos

Currently Chatting

The world we're leaving for today's teens...

Without immediate global action on climate change, today's teenagers will be forced to live with the consequences of our inaction. The World Bank has issued their third report of climate change, and it says that global temperatures could rise by as much as 4 degrees Celsius by the time today's teens hit their 80th birthday.