Inspired to work towards building a community

5 posts / 0 new

I am new to the community boards but I wanted to post a new topic here because I don't see anyone talking about it. Granted, I have not read through the whole site but either way, this is a good place to bring up my topic.

I heard about Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight in an ad during Thom's afternoon radio program. I am at a point in my life where I am trying to decide which way I'd like to go as far as education and eventually career. I have been having trouble deciding exactly what I wanted to do but knew I wanted to make a difference. I had a feeling that this book would help give me some direction and I was right. I was really inspired when reading about self sustaining communities and it got me thinking of all the people I know who are already doing DiY type things like brewing their own beer, or knitting or podcasting etc. I think I would like to take some classes in business, start with my own, I'm thinking of herbs and teas to start and then, when I have learned enough, start my own self sustaining community. I am thinking I might even like to start consulting for others who want to do the same. I'm not sure how I will pursue all of this so if anyone is doing something similar and would like to share ideas or resourses and of course hear opinions, I think this would be a great place to discuss it. Thank you!

HeatherWelliver's picture
HeatherWelliver

Comments

You might perhaps find some useful information and contacts here:

http://www.yesmagazine.org/

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Thanks, I'll check it out!

HeatherWelliver's picture
HeatherWelliver

EAT GREEN

One of the most important things that we can do is stop eating meat unless you have the resources to raise your own organic chics.

When I first heard Thom talking about The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight it was during the gulf oil spill. Since then my entire family, 2 adults and 4 children have all become ovo-lacto vegetarians. We eat all whole foods, nothing processed and no sugar. We are eating very low on the food chain. This helps the earth and makes living in a sustainable community that closer of a goal. We actually moved to Colorado where we have access to one of the largest organic CSA's in the rockies.

I am also teaching my daughters bread making skills. We make naan every day out of whole wheat flour which we buy in bulk. It's amazing how much less you consume when you have to make everything from scratch.

Our next step is to build our next home with all solar. We are hoping to be off the grid entirely with the obvious exception of internet access and we are also hoping to convert a diesel vehicle to an SVO ASAP as we have now a 20 mile commute round trip to work in Ft. Collins unlike Portalnd where we basically lived without a car and used the Max.

Just some of my ideas....

I have to say, a community of like minded people would be so much healthier for the children. Being interested in this stuff now in the beginning it can cause one to feel very isolated.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/feb/24/vegetaria...

PDXMAMA's picture
PDXMAMA

Heather, I do all of that, and it's a joy! I live in a very small community and sell my wares :) locally such as at two of our many Farmer's Markets. In doing such I am MEETING THE KIND OF PEOPLE THAT I WANT TO MEET--caps for emphasis, not yelling:) You know--other DIY people, earthy old farmers, grass fed beef people, beekeepers, etc. I make soaps, lotions, balms, tinctures, tea blends, herbs,(been doing such for 10+ years) and sell the excess from the garden. There's no time to start than like the present. Blessings, joy, if I can help in any way, holler!

Kanza Beth's picture
Kanza Beth

Currently Chatting

Our kids are counting on us to reverse austerity.

According to UNICEF, even in the world's richest countires, children remain “the most enduring victims” of the recession. In the last six years, 2.6 million more kids have fallen below the poverty line, and more than half of them live right here in the United States.