Is our military using mind control on US senators and other government officials?

7 posts / 0 new

Is our military using mind control on US senators and other government officials? According to a new article in Rolling Stone…yes. Army Lt. General William Caldwell instructed his “psychological operations” team – soldiers who are trained in using propaganda to win a hearts and minds struggle in Afghanistan – to use their training to manipulate high-profile visitors to Afghanistan like Senators John McCain and Joe Lieberman – not sure why they would need to “brains wash” those guys – and also people like Admiral Mike Mullen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff – and a number of foreign ministers.

The point was to use tactics on the men that would encourage them to support additional troops and funding for the Afghanistan war – a war that has steadily been decreasing in popularity. Lt. Colonel Michael Holmes expressed his reservations about the psy-ops operation on US leaders to a superior officer – and was later reprimanded on trumped up charges by the Chief of Staff to Lt. Gen. Caldwell – he was basically silenced and punished for speaking out against the operation. Not only is this a waste of military resources it’s against federal law.

Psy-ops are operations are illegal on US citizens. Still judging by how the Afghanistan War is still raging – and will likely continue to be fought for another 4 years – it looks like the Army was successful in wining the hearts and minds of US lawmakers…whether they did it honestly – or through manipulation.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/another-runaway-general-army-deploys-psy-ops-on-u-s-senators-20110223

Quote Michael Hastings for Rolling Stone:FEBRUARY 23, 2011 11:55 PM ET

The U.S. Army illegally ordered a team of soldiers specializing in "psychological operations" to manipulate visiting American senators into providing more troops and funding for the war, Rolling Stone has learned – and when an officer tried to stop the operation, he was railroaded by military investigators.

The Runaway General: The Rolling Stone Profile of Stanley McChrystal That Changed History

The orders came from the command of Lt. Gen. William Caldwell, a three-star general in charge of training Afghan troops – the linchpin of U.S. strategy in the war. Over a four-month period last year, a military cell devoted to what is known as "information operations" at Camp Eggers in Kabul was repeatedly pressured to target visiting senators and other VIPs who met with Caldwell. When the unit resisted the order, arguing that it violated U.S. laws prohibiting the use of propaganda against American citizens, it was subjected to a campaign of retaliation.

"My job in psy-ops is to play with people’s heads, to get the enemy to behave the way we want them to behave," says Lt. Colonel Michael Holmes, the leader of the IO unit, who received an official reprimand after bucking orders. "I’m prohibited from doing that to our own people. When you ask me to try to use these skills on senators and congressman, you’re crossing a line."

Whenever one of these military misconduct stories comes to light, I like to remind myself that the very fact that I know about it at all means that at least one brave soldier did the right thing, in spite of orders from somebody more powerful who, by the nature of the orders, is committing a criminal act and has a criminal character.

So my hat's off to Lt. Colonel Michael Holmes.

Reed.Young's picture
Reed.Young

Now that these things are coming out how do people feel about people who they've accused of being "conspiracy nuts" who have been claiming this has been going on for sometime often with early government documents pointing to such programs? "Conspiracy nuts, eh?" Maybe someday soon the government will tell us who was really behind 9-11 probably when it's too late and doesn't matter.

But then "ignorance is bliss" when it comes to the sheeple and a favored public attitude the tyrants like.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

No matter what our crazy country does will ever surprise me. GARBAGE IN AND GARBAGE OUT!!!

gerald's picture
gerald

All empires are evil. "Propaganda" was originally an evangelical approach to spreading "the truth," and the rhetoric of persuasion was not trying to analyze from all points of view. It hardly surprises me that the military would believe in its mission and try to convince others. Not believing in the mission makes it very hard to continue, so the price of not believing becomes more than doubt.

Every so often, an actual military professional reminds us what honor means. Col. Holmes is one. The politics of war are what is wrong here.

DRC's picture
DRC

I don't know... ...I could very well be wrong but the way I see it is - one man's mind control is another man's neuro linguistic programming, (NLP).

bonnie

OK Linkto...

Aside from the 4X link to the exact same advertisement...(thanks BTW for somewhat proving my point), ...what can you tell me about the well calculated use of "words" to manipulate others' perceptions, observations, behaviors, and/or belief systems?

bonnie

Currently Chatting

The world we're leaving for today's teens...

Without immediate global action on climate change, today's teenagers will be forced to live with the consequences of our inaction. The World Bank has issued their third report of climate change, and it says that global temperatures could rise by as much as 4 degrees Celsius by the time today's teens hit their 80th birthday.