Oysters going extinct

10 posts / 0 new

The vast majority of the earth's oxygen comes from ocean borne algae not forests.

The fact that ocean ecosystems are already failing to support some life forms needs to be taken seriously.

This is one situation where we cannot cry “Fix It!, Fix It!, Fix It!” after it happens and expect to then resume our lives after a brief curative month or year like nothing is wrong.

Make a choice.

(If you want the source article on oysters just yahoo or google)

telliottmbamsc's picture
telliottmbamsc

Comments

Quote telliottmbamsc:

The vast majority of the earth's oxygen comes from ocean borne algae not forests.

The fact that ocean ecosystems are already failing to support some life forms needs to be taken seriously.

This is one situation where we cannot cry “Fix It!, Fix It!, Fix It!” after it happens and expect to then resume our lives after a brief curative month or year like nothing is wrong.

Make a choice.

(If you want the source article on oysters just yahoo or google)

I did search your article.

"The declines are in most cases a result of over-harvesting of wild populations and disease, often exacerbated by the introduction of non-native species."

Doesn't mention the failing ocean ecosystem

Al'Thor's picture
Al'Thor

well,its no open-and-shut case! Look for pearls of wisdom.

harry ashburn

Al'Thor are you daft?

You don't think "The fact that ocean ecosystems are already failing to support some life forms needs to be taken seriously." can be substantiated by legitimate research?!

Wow.

Ok, since it’s the environment I’m going to be patient with ya because it is important that you understand.

You realize of course that the reason you gave negates your assertion. And I suspect that stems from a poor understanding of the concept of “ecosystem”. Start by researching “ecosystem” (and I don’t mean simply looking up its definition in a dictionary, even though that would be a great start for a person like you.)

Let me repeat, oxygen deprived zones in the ocean support less (way WAY less) life than those areas of the ocean that contain "normal" levels of oxygen. This is the same as saying that those missing life forms making up the difference are locally extinct in the oxygen deprived zones of the ocean. Complete extinction is achieved by joining together areas of local extinction.

All for not though, as I suspect your original response was motivated by an unrelated political reason.

I’d ask that you please not post on any further commonts on my sciency or environmental topics, however you can do what you want. But lets be clear, I consider you are so far "out there" that I don't even know what the hell you are.

telliottmbamsc's picture
telliottmbamsc

Tellio, Al'Thor doesn't do science,his response is from guess where?

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/03/oysters-vanishing-oceans-worldwide-report-says/

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote douglaslee:

Tellio, Al'Thor doesn't do science,his response is from guess where?

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/03/oysters-vanishing-oceans-worldwide-report-says/

Interesting..... Comes up on
Realclearscience
Sciencedaily
greenpeoplenews
AIBS Bioscience

But even the Fox News source says:
"The wide-ranging survey, published in BioScience, the journal of the American Institute of Biological Sciences, "

Tellio... that you dismiss science by who's reporting it.

Telara
Quote telliottmbamsc:

Al'Thor are you daft
>

Frankly, I'd edit your snarky response to him. You are coming off as a dumbass.

Your first post you specfically point to oysters.

Since you seem to not know the words needed to descibe what it is your are trying to say. It's Call a Ocean Dead Zone. Hypoxic areas in the ocean. or in your terminolgy "oxygen deprived zones of the ocean"

Telara

http://www.naturalnews.com/026137_extinction_risks_ocean_acidification.html

jelly fish are doing fine, and the dead zones have some other unedible life forms that survive without oxygen, diseases do fine. Republicans ARE protecting life though, they are working to save e-coli.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

/e-coli-most-likely-engineered-bioweapon/

who do you think will hold the patent to the only super antibiotic that can knock out the new super e-coli? and who will be held hostage?

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Well, forests in Colorado are dying from "natural" disease and a rampage of "natural" beetles.

However, the underlying cause, it seems, is global warming. Stresses on the trees and a beetle population out of control because of warmer winters that don't kill them off.

Oceans are experiencing the same sort of thing. Eco-systems thrown out of balance. Forests are dying. I suppose oceans are undergoing the same process.

"When you have cut down the last tree, eaten the last fish, and poisoned the last stream, only then will you understand that you can't eat your money." - Cree prophesy.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.