Republicans introduce legistlation to shut down Internet in USA

11 posts / 0 new

This tid bit of info gathered today from media blog Cynthia Turner should scare you .....this is what China does - are we headed into a Oligarchy Tolatarian State - and I don't care what you're politics are but this ain't good - we have been hit with Cyber attacks before and we have dealt with it so, this makes no sense unless someone wants to really control what you watch, read and listen to - this is not, in my opinion, good for Democracy and it is another attempt to strip your freedom away a little bit at a time - be afraid - very afraid ........ Cynopsis: DIGITAL
02/04/11
Sens. Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.), Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Tom Carper (D-Del.) introduced legislation that would authorize the President to shut down the internet (like the Egyptian government did last week - PS,...they did it to keep their people from communicating with each other and to sending and receiving news and information from inside and outside the country) to protect the U.S. from "cyber attacks." The President must notify Congress of his intention to do so, and the emergency measures cannot be continued beyond 120 days without congressional approval.

David Toma

Comments

Perhaps the fools aren't fools after all. Maybe they are anticipating the results of government run by a financial oligarchy and a few transnationals..

From their perspective, the ability to quickly shut down communications could make absolute sense.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Start researching how to make your own HAM radio, and digital transceivers. The air waves are the commons, and although they are federally regulated there are short wave devices that are mobile, and therefore harder or impossible to pinpoint. For example the FCC can't track an illegal copyrighted download if it is done through a McDonald's WiFi connection.. not that WiFi would exist if the government shut down the internet, and not that I am condoning illegal activity, but what I'm saying is there are many ways to broadcast digital data. It can be done through phone lines, radio waves -am-fm/other, wireless networks, satellite-foreign/domestic, etc... but there are only a few pipes that come into the US from the global internet that the government would be easily capable of shutting down. But we would still be able to communicate amongst ourselves.

makuck's picture
makuck

Perhaps people are just far too dependent on the internet for information (which in itself is a bit scary). Maybe it's time more people stepped away from the screen and picked up a book.

meljomur's picture
meljomur

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/26614998/detail.html by shutting it down you can help the banks and insurance companies. Unless you can prove you're insured, or paid the mortgage, you get foreclosed, or denied reimbursement. Then by the time you prove you are covered or that you are indeed the owner of your house, your house is foreclosed, procedured denied [hopefully dead as far as insurance company]. It also helps the banks claim you are overdrawn, because your direct deposit paycheck or social security check has not been electronically recorded. Fraud is good business practice in the states. Those fans at the superbowl that paid thousands for seats and got nothing didn't realize they were buying virtual seats.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

It helped undermine the image of Corporate, and the response of the NFL was ignorant of the actual expenses, not to mention the emotional aspects of going to Dallas for the game instead of staying home. How hard is it to have the seating set for an event like this?

The game was very good. It would have been a lot better without all the phony wrapping and light shows. Bling and blam spectacle, and the ads become a separate show. Forget the bathroom breaks, you go during the game to see what will be hot and what not. OMG, the Tibet food discount coupons, I thought it was the Onion pulling a fast one, but NO.

And while chilling out to a Bud and Tiny Dancer turned the thirsty killer gunman scene into something very different from its start, the idea that someone had not put this psycho down for threatening the dispenser of drink is disturbing. There was lots of superior video graphic design, and the hypnotic rhythm and mantra stuff was very advanced. The money went for something in writing and design.

And what with the Black dude getting attacked by his Black Woman for noticing that a cute White jogger has taken a seat on the next bench? Not only does she reach back to Klan attitudes about Black guys looking at White women, she throws a full Pepsi can at him, he ducks, the white chick is left lying in the road while they cut and run.

OK, some things are not good for you, but where is the personal responsibility?

Rick Steves' radio show yesterday was on pubs and cafes in Europe. He had a large section on the Celts of Wales, Ireland and Scotland and their singing. Conquered peoples turn to music to retain and assert their identity under the rule of the conqueror. They can sing about things they cannot say in prose or conversation. They can use imagery that is meaningful in the narrative of their people to undermine the authority of the imperial oppressors. Black people in the South also used music, as we know.

I think part of our answer is to get real about music like we should about food. Our internet could be the drum. It once was. The point is to connect and be in space and time together instead of in fragmentation and isolation.

DRC's picture
DRC

After thinking about it for a while, I have decided that there is little to be concerned about here. The Government already has substantial control over communications media. The bill would only be window dressing to make such a move appear legitimate. Thanks to the Patriot Act, they can capture our emails and phone calls en masse and do what they want. Virtually everything in our lives can be construed as a threat to national security, so warrants are obsolete. Presidents are going to do what Presidents want to do. We learned that from Bush.

Art's picture
Art

President my *ss.. Who "really" controls the on/off switch; the gubmnt? Or big business?

Quote Art:

After thinking about it for a while, I have decided that there is little to be concerned about here. The Government already has substantial control over communications media. The bill would only be window dressing to make such a move appear legitimate. Thanks to the Patriot Act, they can capture our emails and phone calls en masse and do what they want. Virtually everything in our lives can be construed as a threat to national security, so warrants are obsolete. Presidents are going to do what Presidents want to do. We learned that from Bush.

bobbler's picture
bobbler

Big Gubness.

Art's picture
Art
Quote David Toma:

Sens. Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.), Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Tom Carper (D-Del.)

Any chance you could amend the Title from "republicans introduce" to "Democrats introduce". 2 Democrats and a RINO is hardly "republicans"

Al'Thor's picture
Al'Thor

Right the NWO is using Egypt as a beta-test for shutting down the internet in America.

The NWO knows that America is on to them. Their days are numbered.

Rebelitarian's picture
Rebelitarian

Currently Chatting

What will it take to go green?

In the wake of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami that devastated the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan, that nation embraced more solar and wind and took a hard look at nuclear power. Apparently, it's going to take a similar disaster in our nation to get the United States to make the switch to green energy.