TIME FOR ALL AMERICANS TO MARCH ON WASHINGTON …..

8 posts / 0 new

TIME FOR ALL AMERICANS TO MARCH ON WASHINGTON …..

From Priscilla in Delavan, WI …..

Now is the time to go with the momentum of our civil unrest in America. We need to look beyond the highlighted issues here in Wisconsin in order to cure the core problems. Two things: WE MUST ADDRESS THE NATIONAL BUDGETING CRISIS & END OUR CORRUPT ELECTION SYSTEM.

We have become a CORPORATE NATION, and the politicians will NEVER do away with the corrupt election system. They CANNOT go against what is keeping them in power.

It is up to us, the American public, to DEMAND the changes. Here are the things we need to highlight by marching and fighting for, as a nation, in Washington:

1.) ELECTION REFORM – Candidates will use reasonably low EQUAL amounts of funding (by law) to run for office, thereby ending the sick custom of millions and billions needed for one person.

2.) MAKE LOBBYING ILLEGAL – Influencing politicians will be a thing of the past. No more Koch brothers, et al, having unfair power

We need to refund our Treasury and take care of America by:

3.) Demanding the non-funding of these illegal wars

4.) Requiring corporations and billionaires to pay their fair share of taxes – No more breaks and loop-holes.

5.) Re-visit the “Fair” Trade Agreement, and resume some of our protective

tariffs to reflect what our Founding Fathers described

I have a strong feeling we Democrats will have the support of many Republicans, Libertarians, Tea-Partiers, the Green Party, etc., if we fight for these changes. We will again be THE LAND OF THE FREE AND THE HOME OF THE BRAVE.

I am sending this letter to my favorite people involved in the media. Please help me to bring these possibilities to the hearts and minds of all Americans. Plant the seed.

Come Together to Heal Together…..love,

Priscilla

Citizen of the United States of America

priscillazilla's picture
priscillazilla

Comments

WE must raise our voices and tell everyone that this governor is following the path recently worn out by autocratic regimes in the Middle East.

We are the same as other workers in other countries. We are fighting for our livelihoods and freedoms that the wealthy would deny us.

I can hear 2012 Republican Presidential candidates licking their chops and lining up to support Wisconsins heartless governor.

Diva's picture
Diva

Wouldn't marching on Wall Street be more effective? After all they own our government and run it. Everything else is just an illusion. Wall Street screwed up an lost a lot of money and they are handing us the bill. We should just laugh in their face and tell what they can do with themselves. Don't pay their debt!

captbebops's picture
captbebops

I agree in part with Priscilla. Here is the idea that I have been trying to promote.

Campaign reform: Limit campaigns to 60 days for local elections, 90 days for state and congressional, and 120 days for presidential/national elections.

In congressional and presidential elections, the application for candidate should have a standardized number of supporters--say 1,000. Each supporter would be allowed to make a one-time donation up to a maximum of $25.00. The candidate can use no more than $250.00 of personal or family funds towards the filing fee. Once the application has been accepted and the individual is declared a candidate, s/he received a fixed amount from the public trust.

Radio and TV stations utilize the public airwaves. They should be required to donate 15 minutes of air time to each candidate.

Abolish PACs and 527s.

Establish term limits. Maximum of 12 years in office: Two six-year terms for the US Senate; Six two-year terms for the House. If a person serves two, four, or six-years in the House, they can only serve one term in the Senate.

Congressional/Presidential pensions are abolished. They continue to pay into social security and receive it at age 65, just like the rest of us.

No more government funded health care. They purchase health insurance just like the majority of us do. They get Medicare at age 65, like the rest of us.

Pay raises: They get the modified CPI or 3%, just like the majority of us.

Bottom line, we get money out of the political equation. No more buying a seat in Congress, or Corporations or the wealthy buying a elected representative.

Navy_Chief's picture
Navy_Chief

I like your idea, too. The traders have turned Wall Street into Vegas. Their "work" needs to be monitored and regulated. I know it seems like government intrusion, but they have proven they can't be trusted as they influence our economy big-time.

priscillazilla's picture
priscillazilla

Navy Chief, you have elaborated brilliantly on an important part of my my simplistic proposal. We need to keep highlighting these ideas, to help our country get back to stability.

priscillazilla's picture
priscillazilla

Huge march and demonstration in D.C.!!!Yes!! ... Let's celebrate spring and May Day--and honor Martin Luther King, Jr.'s desire to expand his hard-won civil rights law into the realm of economic justice for all--which includes ecology or its just not dealing with true costs--eg, see NY Times and poisoning by so-called 'natural' gas profiteers using 'fracking.'

No reason not to include Wall Street too! I hear public transit makes them easily accessible either before or after our march on/in DC.

I would like the issue of clean sustainable energy and jobs to be a focus; reading R. Reich and P. Krugman regularly, another stimulus focussed on this does not add to the deficit like the Reagon/Bush tax cuts for the filthy rich. (And, yes, sadly, extended by the current admin.'s caving in.) Not only is it cleaner in everyway literally and figuratively, but it actually gives us hope and joy as well as material necessities. Hi speed rail is intelligent; rejection of it for political reasons like WI and i just heard FLA govs is as short-sighted as +-25 states rejected what they stupidly call 'O'Bama Care.'

On the subject of having gov. officials 'have to pay for the same health care'--that sounds like what Thom calls 'a race to the bottom'...I would want everyone in the US of A to have the health insurance and high quality of healthY REAL CARE that currently only high officials and the filthy rich get. Medicare for all, not private for-profiteer inadequate care!

Please just re-think that. Please? Have you researched and/or spoken to people from Canada, France, Denmark, Germany about how much they value their shared public health care programs? Let's discuss this...

Mostly, though, I do agree with the above comments and really, really, really dream of and hope for-- and am willing to fight for-- individuals--whether writers, plumbers, poets..--to stand where Martin Luther King,Jr gave his ...'I have a dream' speech and speak from their own hearts and minds of our dreams going forward..I think there are those yet to be known who have the eloquence to speak of our higher aspirations. I have heard no Republicans do so. There are too few Dems that have spoken of necessities in the light of dreams and values.

Bernie Sanders, however, leaps into my mind and lightens my heart as I recall his hours and hours he defended the rights and dreams of the US in America--Only Robert Byrd's passionate outcry against the Iraq War comes close in my memory of recent political heroics.

---------------

. I heard Jesse Jackson allude to a march to/in D.C. in the near future when he was in Wisconsin... I would appreciate the bridge to history he would symbolize, but I would like we citizens speaking to each other to form bridges with each other and link with groups like Workers for America; the group the Dean brothers have formed; the newer one Russ Feingold calls Proressives United--the unions, of course, etc. Sure Tea Partiers might agree, as Thom also has mentioned...but I personally have been at their rallies here in Bloomington, IN and they really really love Limbaugh (limbo lower now--how low can he go)--I also monitored the Hannity radio show last summer (I dislike it so much , monitoring was a job I gave myself) and his slimy talks with Newt G--they fomented very nasty thoughts that too many Tea Partiers parrot because, apparently, most of it comes from the darker, selfish parts of their being. Sorry; just my own observations.

On Liberterians I've met and observed..I think Rand Paul was named after their 'goddess' (of selfishness--somuch so, she wrote a book with that title--to honor selfishness!) Ayn Rand. Though Alan Greenspan confessed her philosophy--and trickle down voodoo--was totally erroneous...Liberterians carry on and cite her with alacrity and regularity...

I'm sorry for taking so much space here. I can't seem to shut up. Forgive me.

As I've said elsewhere--I just have wanted for a very long time that the murderer of Martin Luther King, Jr. not succeed in killing his dream to expand his spiritual, activist work-- and political philosophy-- to encompass all citizens' human and civil rights for economic justice and rights to food , housing and a living, not merely 'minimum', wage. Please listen to his speech in Memphis supporting the striking workers that he expressed with deep eloquence the day before his murder.

I need to stop here..for a while...I hope to be able to share in others' thoughts and actions on this site and in many other ways for actions and marches and messages to our so-called representatives--They must be told what to 'represent'--and it's not taking money from the Kochs; neither is it raising tuition; cutting the 'safety net' to shreds; taking heating from poor families...or milk from babies by cutting the WIC program--and cutting PLANNED Parenthood.

I said I'd stop. OK. Thanks for speaking up, everyone. It's great to know I'm in good company here.

ese

If, and when, we DO march (and I hope this means WHEN), we must carefully request the public's demands as precisely and concisely as possible. There are several issues to highlight.

I'd like to add: Media Reform. Bring back the power of "Fourth Estate" (the Founding Father's provision for truth in news reporting, and the availability to everyone). It is necessary in order for true democracy to work (the first three are the 3 branches of government). The media is badly tainted, and (since being grouped together with entertainment by the corporations) needs to be released from the grips of the few corps (six?) which control huge empires in America. It is unfair to the public. We are being misled. And now the possibility of broadband for all is threatened. That, along with a sneaking strangle-hold by corps over the internet since net neutrality has waned, will cripple our freedom in that area.

As Rome fell, the public was deliberately distracted and artificially indulged by the rulers as one of them described in the phrase, "Give the bread and circuses." Must history repeat itself?

priscillazilla's picture
priscillazilla

Currently Chatting

Has Kansas Found the Cure for the Reaganomics Disease?

Reaganomics is like a bad disease; It just keeps on spreading. Thanks to 34 years of failed Reaganomics, the gap between the wealthy elite in America and everyone else is at an all-time high.