Yummy! Ammonia-Treated Pink Slime Now in Most U.S. Ground Beef

11 posts / 0 new

You're not going to believe what millions of Americans have been eating the last few years (Thanks, Bush! Thanks meat industry lobbyists!

Pink Slime

ABCee's picture
ABCee

Comments

If you know a good butcher, or grind your own, it will be safer, and taste better. I used to live with a deli on the corner, adnd the owner always corrected me

"It's NOT hamburger, it's ground beef!" and he was right, because I saw him grind a pound for me. He weighed it before he ground it.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote douglaslee:

If you know a good butcher, or grind your own, it will be safer, and taste better. I used to live with a deli on the corner, adnd the owner always corrected me

"It's NOT hamburger, it's ground beef!" and he was right, because I saw him grind a pound for me. He weighed it before he ground it.

Always the way to do it, or if your local grocer grinds their own as mine does.

downix's picture
downix

An even better suggestion is to go Vegetarian -

It is the single biggest thing someone can do in their lives to lessen global warming and lessen the Misery that is created in the Meat Industry -

as Bruce Freidrich says "If I can choose between Mercy and Misery - every time I'll choose Mercy, If I can choose between Compassion or Cruelty every time I'll choose Compassion, If I can choose between the Oppressed or the Oppressors every single time I choose the Oppressed......

seems like a good question......

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-friedrich/an-advent-reflection-on-g_...

mtdon's picture
mtdon
Quote ABCee:

You're not going to believe what millions of Americans have been eating the last few years (Thanks, Bush! Thanks meat industry lobbyists!

Pink Slime

However, on the bright side, at Taco Bell, you only get 20% of the amonia-treated pink slime that you get at other establishments.

D_NATURED's picture
D_NATURED
Quote D_NATURED:
Quote ABCee:

Pink Slime

However, on the bright side, at Taco Bell, you only get 20% of the amonia-treated pink slime that you get at other establishments.

Hey now, that is a lie!

It's 12%:

http://www.tacobell.com/BeefIngredientFAQs 8)

downix's picture
downix

In order to simultaneously eliminate Union meatcutter/wrapper jobs while keeping wrapped meat salable longer, here's what's being done nationwide. (I know this because one of my three careers before retirement was in the Unionized retail supermarket industry.)

Until a few years ago, a meat department in a normal sized supermarket had a department manager, assistant manager, two to four or more meatcutters and two to four or five meat wrappers, depending upon average sales. In order to eliminate over half of those jobs and thus avoid wages and benefits, the chain supermarkets have gone to a central cutting model.

Under central cutting, they lay off half or more store-level meat department employees. They open up a centrally located cutting and wrapping warehouse which is as equidistant as they can make it from all of their stores in that particular corporate district. In that warehouse, they cut and wrap all the meat and then truck it out to the stores from there.

To keep supermarket meat from turning brown, they gas pack it by injecting nitrogen gas into the trays after wrapping, and then seal the injection or put a second, outside wrapper over it, so that it takes the nitrogen a long time to escape. This makes all red meat, especially hamburger, stay red longer and thus look a lot more viable than it often is, for a longer shelf life. Sometimes you can buy a package of hamburger with a red surface that looks freshly packed while the inside of it is already brown or starting to smell overly ripe, so that you have to throw it away.

This, then, is the current corporate supermarket chain meat scam. Get rid of good Union jobs by central cutting and sell the public meat that looks cosmetically a lot fresher than it actually is.

Hungry?

Ulysses's picture
Ulysses

I worked as a supermarket meatcutter as well, I remember when that began happening, after Hanniford joined with the guys behind Food Lion. I left shortly after the merger.

downix's picture
downix

After high school I worked at Iowa Beef Packers in amarillo. The pay, about 5.75 was good for the time (1977-78) because of the Teamsters (although I was fired when my foreman found out I was gay). The trimmings in the hamburger conveyor belt contained a small amount of spinal cord tissue as an artifact of processing. Unfortunately for humans it only takes consumption of a small amount of prion infected tissue to cause BSE. BSE remains latent for a long period; however probably no one under the age of 40 should eat hamburger which is not ground by someone they trust from chunks of whole meat. Ironically even ammonia is unlikely to kill prions.

markincorsicana

Seems to me the questions that are not answered are: Is the 'slime' nutritious? Is the 'slime' toxic? Does the 'slime' taste bad? If these issues are not addressed, it just sounds like vegetarian propaganda. Are there real issues, or are you just working the 'ick' factor.

OldLarry's picture
OldLarry

I posted this topic one year ago. It semed shocking at the time. It is disgusting. But it is nothing compared to the extreme aerosol spray operations being perpetrated against us every day.

ABCee's picture
ABCee

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.