Adult ADD NEED HELP

6 posts / 0 new

Hello
I am a middle aged man diagnosed with ADD. I could use some on where to start with
Helping myself. I has been many frustrating years as well as becoming burned out. Any help would be appreciated

Thx

John Aiki 999's picture
John Aiki 999

Comments

I am also a middle-aged ADDer. Though I was first diagnosed at age 5, and rediagnosed about 12 years ago, it;s still been a huge struggle for me. I am really feeling a lot of hopelessness, now being unemployed again after screwing up yet another job.

HOWEVER, there have been some things that have helped.

FInd a good psychiatrist (with good ADD experience) to prescribe and monitor any meds (stimulants, anti-depressants, etc.). Some regular physicians are willing to prescribe these, but I want to see someone who specializes in ADD.

Everything you can learn about lifestyle changes, skills for coping and compensating, are worthwhile. There are tons of books and online resources for these.

Support groups can be very helpful. Check with the CHADD website to find a local chapter. It's a huge boost to realize that you're not alone.

Various types of psychotherapy can also be very helpful. Folks in support groups are often great sources of info about who's good, what kinds of therapy worked for them, etc.

One of the BEST things I ever found is neurotherapy. This is EEG biofeedback where you learn to control computer games using your brainwaves, which enhances your brain functioning. Neurotherapy is usually provided by licensed, PhD-level psychologists and is becoming more widely available. However, as it is a relatively new treatment, it is not widely considered mainstream yet. But it promises to produce permanent improvements to brain functioning (versus temporary effects of medications). It is still not a CURE for ADD but it holds the most promise, I believe.

Figure out if you have any "comorbid" conditions, such as auditory processing disorder (which I have). These can be as significant as the ADD and there are treatments available. It's possible you don't have ADD, but some other disabilities that require a different approach. And you may need to pursue these on your own, unless you happen to find a good psychiatrist or psychologist who can help. In other words, they may correctly catch the ADD but not the auditory processing disorder. Or if they catch the APD as well, they only know how to treat the ADD. For example, treatment for APD is mostly found among audiologists, who do not always have many overlaps with psychiatry or psychology.

Be very careful about disclosing your ADD at work. Even with ADA protections, it can be as easily harmful as helpful. There's info about this on the internet, but it's a tricky subject. Toleration for learning disabilities is not at the same level as it is for physical disabilities.

daj100's picture
daj100

you could try Dick sutphen dvds or cds or just down load his mp3s.he has a web site so you can have a look.
He does alot of selfhelp hypnosis stuff and they are really good, you have to keep using them over and over to benifit, it's like anything else the more you do it the better you are at it.
I have used them for 30 years and I have learnt to relax and focus my mind on different things,
I might do everything at warp speed but it's controlled and exact now,
Meditation has helped me alot as well
His stuff worked for me, I hope if you give it a try it will work for you.
Good luck

sheild

Hi John,

I'm a retired psychotherapist and I also have ADD. I'd like to rsuggest a book entitled, Driven to Distraction by Edward M. Hallowell, M.D. and John J. Ratey, M.D. This book is published by Simon and Schuster. These doctors both have ADD. Contact me after you've read the book and I'll be glad to offer assistance gratis. My e-mail is: drmelvinredfern@comcast.net.

Mel

drmelvinredfern's picture
drmelvinredfern

Hi John,

I'm a retired psychotherapist and I also have ADD. I'd like to suggest that you buy the book, Driven to Distraction by Edward M. Halliowell, M.D. and John J. Ratey, M.D. Both of these doctors have ADD. I'll be happy to offer advice gratis after you have lread the book. My e-mail is: drmelvinredfern@comcast.net. Take care.

Mel

drmelvinredfern's picture
drmelvinredfern

I am in the same boat ... 54, ADD, no job. I know Thom Hartmann has written several books on ADD, but I don't know which would be best for somebody like me. I can't really afford one book on ADD, never mind several by Thom or others trying to figure out which is right for me.

The book "Driven to Distraction" sounds familiar ... I've recorded (but of course not watched) a couple of PBS shows on ADD, one of them may have been based on that book (or one that sounds like it).

miksilvr

Currently Chatting

It’s Time for Bill O’Reilly to Get Real about White Privilege

It’s time for white America to get real about white privilege. Last night, Bill O’Reilly came from back vacation early to host a special edition of “The Factor”, one that he said would “tell the truth” about what’s going on in Ferguson, Missouri.