Another Republican who read the story of Robin Hood backwards

18 posts / 0 new

Michigan residents are getting screwed over by their governor. Yesterday - Republican Rick Snyder signed into law legislation that would cut 6 weeks from unemployment benefits. Every state in the country currently pays out 26 weeks of benefits – but now Michigan will lead the way in paying out only 20 weeks – and that’s a state that’s had higher than a 10% unemployment rate for longer than any other state in the country. In other words, the state with the worst unemployment numbers – also treats the unemployed the worst.

As U.S. Congressman Sander Levin said about the move, “It turns the clock back 50 years at a time when unemployment is at historic highs since the Depression.” Not only does Governor Snyder’s bill amount to nothing less than a war against poor people – he also fails to realize that paying out unemployment benefits help boost economic activity and get people back to work. This isn’t just heartless – it’s bad economic policy. But I get it – Governor Snyder has to take money out of some place – like poor people’s pockets – in order to pay for his $200 million tax cut for big corporations and their CEOs.

Another Republican who read the story of Robin Hood backwards.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

Actually, if you wish to be technical about it, Robin Hood took money from the Government and returned it to the over taxed poor of the lands. The "rich" in Robin Hood were the faux King and his Governors who taxed the poor dry and returned nothing in Government services.

Sticking a finger in the eye of an over powerful Government... Returning tax money to the citizens... That would make Robin Hood a Republican.

Paleo-con

And Little Red Riding Hood had it coming to her for being so gullible. Are the Republicans the wolf or the grandmother in that one?

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood
Quote Laborisgood:

And Little Red Riding Hood had it coming to her for being so gullible. Are the Republicans the wolf or the grandmother in that one?

Neither. They would be the huntsman who stepped in and stopped the wolf from getting an ill-gotten free meal by eating Little Red Riding Hood.

Paleo-con

I forgot about the huntsman. And I suppose Little Red Riding Hood represents the gullible Democrats in your version of the story ..... she is wearing red you know.

And what about Humpty Dumpty? I believe we can put him back together again. You'd prefer a nice omelette I suppose?

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

"Reverse class warfare" seems to be taking on different forms in different states. The first requirement to set the process in motion is a G.O.P. governor. Where Republicans control the legislature as well, either with super-majorities or without the need for one, they try to drain a major reservoir of working-class and middle-class strength by means of union-busting bills (as in Wisconsin). With 58% of his Senate and 57% of the House, Snyder probably lacks the juice to pull a Walker - or perhaps the nerve, after all the fallout he has observed from across Lake Michigan!

Good heavens, Thom, no one can accuse the G.O.P. guvs of letting the grass grow under their feet after last November's elections - especially regarding unionized labor! The Wisconsin bill as well as Kasich's, Daniels' and Christie's anti-union posturing are all in the first wave of Republican "payback" for what they perceive as labor's role in producing the 2008 Obama landslide. They vowed to prevent those forces from wielding such electoral influence the next time around. (or ever again!) Having spent two years amassing their "troops" in the House, Senate and throughout the individual state governments, they are feverishly working against a very important deadline - Nov. 6, 2012, for an equally important goal - the White House! I consider the unofficial start of their teacher campaign to be Dole's acceptance speech in 1996, "And to the teachers unions I say, when I am president, I will disregard your political power, for the sake of the parents, the children, the schools and the nation." In that sentence he forfeited my vote to Clinton. But, hey, the current gang is Dole on steroids!

BrooklynMike's picture
BrooklynMike

While the cons justify the wolf because he needed to eat to live, let us leave the fairy tale world for the fiction of Charles Dickens. It is here that the Republican rewrite squad is busily at work. There is a new twist in Oliver Twist, and Great Expectations is now Biz School theories on derivatives. Bleak House describes the GOP housing plan, and we all know what they did to A Christmas Carol last year.

Think of the possibilities for reviving Dickens street theater in GOP America. I am practicing the humility of Uriah Heep.

DRC's picture
DRC

Well at least housing is dirt cheap in Michigan. But then again if you have no income, it needs to be free at some point. Where do all these people go, when they can no longer afford to keep a roof over their heads? Michigan doesn't exactly have the best climate for Tent Cities, does it.

These stories are very sad. But again, just another example of the GOP's race to the bottom.

meljomur's picture
meljomur

DRC, probably the humility of Che Guevara is more in order. That would shake up the GOP a bit.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

w/ all due respect paleo-con is delusional if he thinks that Robin Hood was a republican -

the republican model is Tax the Poor and give to the rich -

The latest extension of the tax cuts raised taxes on the Poor - and gave it to the rich - at the same time cutting services for the poor -

reagan's tax cuts raised taxes on the poor - while cutting services for the poor - and double dipped into the Social Security Trust fund - which if it is really gone as righties like to say means the poor and middle class just paid a 7.65% higher rate than the wealthy.....

BUT of course the righties want it both ways -

twist history all you want but just know you are WRONG - either thru deceit or lack of knowledge -

mtdon's picture
mtdon

Thom, next time you get Jennifer Granholm as a guest on your RT show, ask her about Rick Snyder if you could. I suppose though she might be wanting to avoid questions on her feelings about him, though I wonder what she might say... Ask her if she ran again for governor if he were to be ousted earlier through a recall (or impeachment for some of his very questionable legal actions) if she would make a good campaign issue of telling Michigan that she wouldn't be double-dipping on a pension for her earlier stint as governor (though I'm guessing she's not old enough yet to collect one) like Terry Branstadt is doing in his second stint as governor of Iowa.

calipendence's picture
calipendence

Could you be a revolting revolutionary? Please see the following.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/story/print?guid=CA183FE6-5966-11E0-9F0...

Yammerman

the author of the marketwatch article is correct - a coming crash is baked in the cake -

During the last Depression the USA is lucky it got a FDR - this time I'm not sure it'll happen - ......

What is interesting in that article is that a big warning was issued by a Council of Foreign Relations researcher - the CFR is one of the main proponents of the current system - the warning they are issuing is a "hide what you can for the coming crash"

we should also remember that when Obama was asked about the extremely high bonuses paid out by the bailed out banksters he replied: "we can't disparage these people their wage - they earned it - they are savvy businessmen"

and when asked about helping out people faced w/ foreclosures - most because they LOST THEIR JOBS due to the overarching greed of Obama's buddies - the Savvy Businessmen - Obama replied "I'm not going to let some "House Flipper" get away w/ ill gotten gains".....

A house flipper - who maybe makes maybe 20,000 on a house sale along w/ all the innocent victims of the economic crash - VS the greedy billionaire banksters..... Obama sides w/ the banksters!

AND to hit that house flipper Obama was more than willing to throw the ENTIRE housing market and foreclosure process into the gutter -

At the very same time Protect the true predators and fraudsters......

Jesus Democrats WAKE UP - when are you going to realize OBAMA IS NOT ON YOUR SIDE!

Someone answer me how we can come out of this bad economy without Housing making a comeback?

And we have a mortgage market that was BASED on fraud- (MERS top of the list) -

a housing market that can't establish a Chain of Title -

a mortgage market that allows fraudulent numbers to be on their books for meaningless mortgage notes -

Ever wonder why so many houses sit VACANT? Because the banksters can put non-existent house payments on their books as having been received when in fact they WERE NOT - and the only time they have to write off this loss is when it sells at AUCTION -

So don't have an auction - let the house sit vacant and then the banks can show NON-EXISTANT income as having been received - when in fact they haven't received a payment for YEARS -

Hey but they get to pay out bonuses AS IF the payment had been received.

The recovery and our financial system is FRAUDULENT and ILLUSIONARY.

Austerity here we come!

Pay down your debts, walk out of that underwater house or simply quit paying( many morgages get 18 months before eviction) and SAVE CASH! Buy a pressure cooker and some canning jars w/ lids, Grow a garden and learn to CAN food!

These vampires and predators are coming for your last nickle!

mtdon's picture
mtdon

John Nichols was on Thom's show today and mentioned that recall efforts to fire new Governor Rick Snyder are underway in Michigan. True. Michigan Citizens United has just been formed to oust Snide Snyder. The group is also going after several state senators as per Wisconsin. The movement is in the process of creating the recall petitions. The problem is - in Michigan, if the recall succeeds, Snyder's lieutenant governor takes over for the rest of his term. The Lt. Governor - Brian Calley - is as radical or moreso than Snyder.

joanofarc's picture
joanofarc

Federal Republicans and Federal Democrats are Globalist traitors who get their money from the Globalist Bank called the Federal-Reserve. They have theirs, so America can just suck it.

Volitzer's picture
Volitzer

http://www.believeinamerica.com/index.php
http://www.constitutionparty.org

[img]https://secure.giftwrapplus.org/cpnc/DonorImages/Email/logo.png[/img]

Constitution Party Promotional Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_SobkISNrY

Volitzer's picture
Volitzer
Quote joanofarc:

John Nichols was on Thom's show today and mentioned that recall efforts to fire new Governor Rick Snyder are underway in Michigan. True. Michigan Citizens United has just been formed to oust Snide Snyder. The group is also going after several state senators as per Wisconsin. The movement is in the process of creating the recall petitions. The problem is - in Michigan, if the recall succeeds, Snyder's lieutenant governor takes over for the rest of his term. The Lt. Governor - Brian Calley - is as radical or moreso than Snyder.

If he does the same things that Snyder does, then couldn't he also be recalled as well? Who's next in line after he is?

calipendence's picture
calipendence
Quote Thom Hartmann Administrator:

Michigan residents are getting screwed over by their governor. Yesterday - Republican Rick Snyder signed into law legislation that would cut 6 weeks from unemployment benefits. Every state in the country currently pays out 26 weeks of benefits – but now Michigan will lead the way in paying out only 20 weeks – and that’s a state that’s had higher than a 10% unemployment rate for longer than any other state in the country. In other words, the state with the worst unemployment numbers – also treats the unemployed the worst.

As U.S. Congressman Sander Levin said about the move, “It turns the clock back 50 years at a time when unemployment is at historic highs since the Depression.” Not only does Governor Snyder’s bill amount to nothing less than a war against poor people – he also fails to realize that paying out unemployment benefits help boost economic activity and get people back to work. This isn’t just heartless – it’s bad economic policy. But I get it – Governor Snyder has to take money out of some place – like poor people’s pockets – in order to pay for his $200 million tax cut for big corporations and their CEOs.

Another Republican who read the story of Robin Hood backwards.

It is amazing to me that a Federal Government, that is basically insolvent, can lob million dollar Tomahawks missiles and multi-billion dollar campaigns against Libya (and Yemen, and Syria, and Pakistan, and Somalia, and Afghanistan, and Iraq, and Oman, and Djibouti, and…) but can’t finance its own states that are in fiscal trouble. The Democrats squeal “democracy” and “liberty” as yet another foreign civil war is sparked/financed; thousands will die. The Republicans tout “might makes right” as the US (who has been involved in more wars than any other G20 country) follows its aggressive antics.

Rick Snyder wouldn’t be going down this painful road if the state had budget choices. U6 in Michigan is over 25%. Detroit has lost 25% of it population in ten years. The state is looking at closing 38% of it schools. The bottom line is, the current Federal Government structure will never invest in domestic human capital. The US will continue to fall in education ranking, production capacity, skills availability, civil liberties and financial opportunities. But, we’ll continue to bomb the dog sh!t out of other countries. It's great to be an American!

Logic_it_exists's picture
Logic_it_exists

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.