Cracking the Code?

3 posts / 0 new

I like the show, I listen when I can. I particularly like catching the Friday show when Senator Sanders is on.

That being said, I have a pet peeve over Senator Sanders' use of the word "earn". He frequently uses "earn" when referring the the disparity in wealth, saying the top 1% "earn" their pay. To me "earn" is one of those validating words, like "justice". Regardless of how they are defined they have trump card quality. If the money is earned then how can it be disputed? If it is earned then it is justified.

I know he can't go as far as to say "steal" nor would I suggest it. Maybe "take" would be OK.

I just think using "earn" strikes the wrong chord.

OK, maybe it's just me.

BShorts

Comments

"Earn" is a perfectly fine word to describe income made by any legal means. It's the obscene additional "earnings" they get from our tax policies that needs to be criminalized.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

"Legal" is another word that falls into the trump category. Clearly, it is dangerous to assign too much power to a word as well as overly devalue it.

Even when what they doing is legal, the big issue is what does someone do to validate that level of pay?. If I made ~30,000 a year and the CEO made 'only' ~1million a year(seems low by today's standards), by the end on the first day they have made ~my years pay...and they'll do it tomorrw and the day after that, etc. While I am still inching along at 1/365th of 1/365th of that. Now double their pay, They've made my year's pay by lunch. And so on. It's legal, but what are they doing to earn it?

BShorts

Currently Chatting

Politifact left the house without their pants on

Liar liar pants on fire…or are they?