Don't Want To Pick a Fight with Big Oil

14 posts / 0 new

We are wasting our oil resources on transportation. We need to develop bio-diesel for our transportation needs. How to do that? Well, you can take off on building a national industrial hemp industry. Meanwhile, I want to talk about building a national oil storage facility. We can employ thousands of geologist, petroleum engineers and laborers to build an oil storage facility 4 or 5 times as large as the one currently have. The one we have now was developed as a "lessons learned" response to the shortages we faced during WW II. Now, we need a bigger one to fend off price spikes and other calamities like going to war for oil.

We can drill on our own land. There are at least 10 states which have oil. We have federally owned land in those states, too. In a combined effort with the Department of Energy and the EPA, we can extract oil safely and not harm the environment. We can store the oil in railroad cars, or the way we do it now, underground. To pay for this, we sell some of it on the world market. We keep the rest.

We can continue to buy foreign oil at reasonable prices for all our non-transportaion needs. Plastics, fertilizer and many other industries need to use cheap oil. We can't go without it in those industries.

But, if there are interruptions in that supply, we have our own oil to use, thus, opting out of all the bullshit that goes on there. I don't wan't a war with big oil. I just want to become independent of them. I want to employ our steel industry and our engineers and our laborers to do it. We, the people, hire all those people away from big oil. They will work for us instead. They will comply with all the rules. We will take back our country.

idiut's picture
idiut

Comments

Supply does not solve the problem.....

the usa is already the 3rd largest producer in the world..... we use 20 mil barrels a day - the top producer - russia has an output of around 10 mil - saudi at #2 is around 9 mil a day and the us is at 8 mil a day -

we can't drill our way out of the problem due to main factor -

PEAK OIL - we've probably already reached it - many oil fields that are dying - mexico's in particular -

add in a rise in demand as Indi, china grow and the prices will not go down -

even if the gas was prodcued for a nickle a gal - the companies would still charge you 4 a gal if they can - and will -

I do agree that using oil to power autos in crazy and shortsighted....

there are many uses for oil besides gasoline....

imagine in 50 years when oil is really expensive - maybe we'll wish we would have saved this mprecious commodity when it really became rare...

it doesn't help that we've had oil man after oil man in 4 out of the last 5 presidental admin's.

I'd like to have that fight though - start w/ breaking up exxon-mobile w/ the Sherman Act -

then go for collusion in the refinement industry -

take away thier tax breaks and use them instead on green energy -

then end the offshoring of tax evasion

hey one can always dream..........

mtdon's picture
mtdon

I am generally entertained by the quandary of the environmental movement. O how they loath oil. So they want Bio Diesel, the unfortunate side effect of bio diesel is starvation. So No bio diesel. Electric cars. Great Idea.. Except we don’t have the power to charge all those batteries. So no Electric. Hydrogen. Same problem, requires too much energy to function. 2 out of the three ideas are workable if you can find enough energy. So they look to the Sun. Execpt, it’s not always sunny everywhere and when you need it. No Solar, so they look to Wind, Except it’s not always Windy everywhere and when you need it. No Wind. So look to Hydroelectric. Except we already use it and expanding it is harmful to the fish. So no Hydroelectric. So there they sit. Confused and befuddled even though the answer to their problems sits right in from of them. There is only one source of energy that is big enough to power the alternative engines to replace a fossil fuel economy and they just can’t bring themselves to accept it. So here we sit and complain about $3 gas.

Al'Thor's picture
Al'Thor

Bio-diesel can be made with industrial hemp, not food. The trick is having huge tracts of federal land to grow the hemp.

idiut's picture
idiut

I want to use foreign oil until the very last drop. Then, we can start using our own (but not for gasoline). I just want independence from it all. As long as we don't have to fight wars and pay throught the nose for it, let's use their oil! But let's use our bio-diesel for transportation!

idiut's picture
idiut

Independence comes from having your own stash when times get rough.

idiut's picture
idiut

Let the oil companies do what they want. Our oil stash will not belong to them. Our oil belongs to the government, or in other words, We The People. It will be saved for our children.

idiut's picture
idiut
Quote idiut:

Bio-diesel can be made with industrial hemp, not food. The trick is having huge tracts of federal land to grow the hemp.

Does industrial hemp grow in the woods, if not. it will displace agriculture.

Since I don't know the conversion of soybean biodiesel and Hemp Biodiesel. Prehaps you know the Gallons per acre. Soy beans is 50gal/per acre. To transform the national transportation form fossil fuel to biodiesel would require 2.8bil arces. sad to say. The Whole Agriculture industry of the US only covers 302 million acres. Maybe now you see the problem.

Al'Thor's picture
Al'Thor

Hemp is far more productive. It grows 15 to 17 feet high! It uses less water! It needs no insecticide!

idiut's picture
idiut

We need jobs! I want to work on a hemp farm and I want to plant trees, too!

Both will reduce CO2 in the atmosphere. Why not employ us to make the country work!

idiut's picture
idiut
Quote idiut:

We need jobs! I want to work on a hemp farm and I want to plant trees, too!

Well of course you do, who wouldn't

Al'Thor's picture
Al'Thor

Your great expense at making a silly "oil reserve" will last us about 20-30 years, and would be wasted money that should be spent on solar and wind technology. Germany now makes half of it's energy through alternative sources, and we should too (and Germany doesn't have any greater winds than the US per capita - they're just smart in using it). We wouldn't be wasting time or money on oil, a product that has already hit peak production, when we more smartly use alternatives. Oil isn't going to last much past our generation of not the next. We'll still have some, but we better save as much as we can to make roads and plastic with.

And use up the Middle East's oil first? What in hell for? Just to mess them up? Why not encourage them to stop pollution too? DOH!

A point made by someone else about hemp not being good for agriculture if it isn't grown in the woods makes no sense. Hemp IS agriculture, which can make salad sprouts, clothing, towels, paper, canvas, paint and rope at cheaper costs than conventional production at half the pollution (if not clearner). PLUS, it can replace diesel and gasoline! And it grows faster than any other plant with an absolute higher yield. It would be a boon to agriculture, significantly, not a bane.

jim of Binghamton's picture
jim of Binghamton

Yes, I want to use their oil for our non-transportation needs. I don't want to burn it as fuel. I want to go with electric cars and bio-diesel trains and trucks. For everything else solar and wind, like Germany.

I want to store oil to hedge against price speculation and wars. And I mean store a whole hell of a lot of it. I want to obtain it using our people using our environmental rules. I want to save it for our kids, not for us, except to pay for the costs to obtain it.

As far as bio-diesel fuel, I thought industrial hemp was able to become bio-diesel. Was I mistaken?

idiut's picture
idiut

we could drill baby drill in ANWAR and it'll provide us with about a years worth of oil max.....

at great expense to the government coffers as we provide the infrastructure and the oil co's get the profits.....

and it's We the People's Oil only until we give away the rights for basically free nad then the oil co's will turn around and charge us market level prices"

simply another boondoggle for the oil industry - an industry which thrives on corporate welfare....

No Free Market in the oil industry - just more giveaways and tax evasion.

AS I've said give ther solar industry 10% of what the oil industry receives and we'd have plenty of solar power to go around -

And while no one(except those pesky environmentalists) likes to point out the handouts and subsidies to the oil industry ANY subsidies given to the solar industry would be on the front page above the fold........

mtdon's picture
mtdon

Currently Chatting

Is George Zimmerman Right?

It's time to listen to George Zimmerman. Seriously, and I'll explain in a minute.