Paul Ryan went to college on Social Security money!

15 posts / 0 new

Paul Ryan went to college on Social Security money!

How dare he deny others the same saving grace?!

From NPR Report of April 8th 2011:
http://www.npr.org/2011/04/08/135247470/paul-ryan-father-fitness-buff-zeppelin-fan

...He was born and still lives in Janesville, Wisconsin. When Paul Ryan was 16, his father died of a heart attack. He saved up the Social Security benefits he received up to his 18th birthday and used the money to help pay for college....
....He is such a passionate fan of the dystopian writer Ayn Rand that he requires staff members to read her 1,200-page novel "Atlas Shrugged."

----- AND YET "AYN RAND" (HER PSEUDONYM) ALSO DEPENDED ON SOCIAL SECURITY AT THE END OF HER LIFE:

TEA PARTY AND THE RIGHT
AlterNet / By Joshua Holland:
http://www.alternet.org/teaparty/149721

....In the real world, however, Rand herself received Social Security payments and Medicare benefits under the name of Ann O'Connor (her husband was Frank O'Connor).

.. SEE ALSO:
Huffington Post
By Michael Ford
Posted: December 5, 2010 10:35 AM
Ayn Rand and the VIP-DIPers
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-ford/ayn-rand-and-the-vip-dipe_b_792184.html

....A heavy smoker who refused to believe that smoking causes cancer brings to mind those today who are equally certain there is no such thing as global warming. Unfortunately, Miss Rand was a fatal victim of lung cancer....

However, it was revealed in the recent "Oral History of Ayn Rand" by Scott McConnell (founder of the media department at the Ayn Rand Institute) that in the end Ayn was a vip-dipper as well. An interview with Evva Pryror, a social worker and consultant to Miss Rand's law firm of Ernst, Cane, Gitlin and Winick verified that on Miss Rand's behalf she secured Rand's Social Security and Medicare payments which Ayn received under the name of Ann O'Connor (husband Frank O'Connor).

Are these facts not enough to prove once and for all that their arguments are false? Where are the Congress members with the guts to confront this giant lie that we all exist on tiny separate selfish islands, hording and hating? We are a community! We are human! The air, water, and natural world are in common trust and are to be protected. Our taxes are for the common good. Government's purpose is to promote the common good. No orphan should walk the streets alone --- no fatherless son should be denied help from the community: Paul Ryan was not. No dying, elderly, ill woman should be left to suffer unattended: Ayn Rand was not.

Further, having just mailed my enormous social security tax payment: These systems belong to us! We paid for them --- we paid for social security and medicare and have every paycheck, in every tax return! They are NOT entitlements. They are sane solutions as even the arrogant among us have often come to learn....

j.sea's picture
j.sea

Comments

Point to me where Ryan said that we should not have social security.

Mr.Burns's picture
Mr.Burns

If you look up Paul Ryan's bio it points it out in his ROADMAP FOR AMERICA plan that he wants to privatize Social Security amonst other things. We all know what privatizing leads to, where profit now becomes the number one priority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ryan

journeyman63's picture
journeyman63

Time for aging boomers to show that stuff we did back in the 1960's and scare they hell out of scumbags like Ryan.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

We all know what happens when you snort too much Koch.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote journeyman63:

If you look up Paul Ryan's bio it points it out in his ROADMAP FOR AMERICA plan that he wants to privatize Social Security amonst other things. We all know what privatizing leads to, where profit now becomes the number one priority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ryan

It actually doesn't say that.

Road Map - Social Security

•Preserves the existing Social Security program for those 55 or older.

•Offers workers under 55 the option of investing over one third of their current Social Security taxes into personal retirement accounts, similar to the Thrift Savings Plan available to Federal employees. Includes a property right so they can pass on these assets to their heirs, and a guarantee that individuals will not lose a dollar they contribute to their accounts, even after inflation.

•Makes the program permanently solvent – according to the Congressional Budget Office [CBO] – by combining a more realistic measure of growth in Social Security’s initial benefits, with an eventual modernization of the retirement age.

only 1/3

Merrilin's picture
Merrilin

The whole Ryan Roadmap to the Plantation of the 19th Century is built on failed ideology. Again, you have to stop doing so many lines of Koch.

DRC's picture
DRC

Just curious Mr. Burns and Merrillin, which institutions of the right wing machine do you guys work for and how much do they pay you to hang out here and spread your twisted worldview? Just asking......

journeyman63's picture
journeyman63
Quote journeyman63:

Just curious Mr. Burns and Merrillin, which institutions of the right wing machine do you guys work for and how much do they pay you to hang out here and spread your twisted worldview? Just asking......

Please do not question my sincerity, you may think me an idiot as long as you think of me as a sincere idiot. :)

Mr.Burns's picture
Mr.Burns

I didn't call you an idiot, you yourself implied it. I asked a valid question and you side stepped it.

journeyman63's picture
journeyman63
Quote journeyman63:

I didn't call you an idiot, you yourself implied it. I asked a valid question and you side stepped it.

I post here because I enjoy talking to other people of different viewpoints, not because of your silly suggestion. There are only a handful of active people here after all.

What is so twisted with the idea that Government should be as small as reasonably possible?

Mr.Burns's picture
Mr.Burns
Quote journeyman63:

This... This I do for free.

Merrilin's picture
Merrilin

[quote=Merrilin]

[quote=journeyman63]

I have been accused of this same thing in other politics forums and chat rooms but so far not in here. I always take this accusation as a huge compliment though. Tells me I must be presenting my arguments very effectively, professionally even, LOL. In fact now that I think about it I’m a bit depressed nobody here has said that to me, maybe I’m slipping. Actually people in this forum have been very polite to me and I try to act in kind and am enjoying the level of conversation, polite debate is very hard to find. I am impressed with Thom’s listeners; I see a lot of intelligence to work with in here and there’s hope that in time I can turn them into good conservatives. Like Mick Jagger said “time is on my side”.

snowmaniac's picture
snowmaniac

I keep waiting for Ryan to put on his long black cape.

Erik300's picture
Erik300

I hope Ryan runs for president. It would be a clear choice for voters on which way the think this country should go. That was the problem with Mc Cain. He was somewhere between dem and rep, no real differences to define him and Obama. Lots of conservatives just threw up their hands and stayed home election day.

snowmaniac's picture
snowmaniac

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.