Vermont makes 7

12 posts / 0 new

/vermont-will-become-seventh-state-to-adopt-national-popular-vote/ pretty radical, allowing your vote to count. One day we just might be a representative democratic republic, and people knowing their vote will be counted will learn the substance of the issues and the position of the candidates competing for their vote. Other countries will look at US as standard bearer for how it's done.....NAH!

Cato debate, horrors a third party candidate might have a chance.

I watched the debate, Dr Koza vs Tara valley girl Texan... whatever. An audience member from fair vote is also better informed.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Comments

Interesting. Tyranny of the majority. The Electoral College was set up to counterbalance the high population states is it fair, is it any more fair than allowing a dozen states to effect national policy by virtue of their populations.

In Oregon, ¾ of the state is powerless against the three main population centers. I am sure that is not how the founders intended it.

W.P's picture
W.P
n Oregon, ¾ of the state is powerless against the three main population centers.
No, that's pretty misleading. In Oregon, ¾ of the acres of land in the state is powerless against the areas where all the people are. I don't think it was intended to be "one acre, one vote"

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:
n Oregon, ¾ of the state is powerless against the three main population centers.
No, that's pretty misleading. In Oregon, ¾ of the acres of land in the state is powerless against the areas where all the people are. I don't think it was intended to be "one acre, one vote"

Actually, it is intended to be one acre one vote when those acres have political boundaries.

If we shoot all the way to the bottom line… Having the people in four or five cities deciding the representation for the entire country may make liberals salivate, but it falls flat as a Republic. Mob rule democracy cannot sustain itself.

Paleo-con
Actually, it is intended to be one acre one vote when those acres have political boundaries.
I think you're saying that that one American Nazi Party guy who owns 8,000 acres of desert land should have as much political say as all the Democrats who share 8,000 acres of urban land. You really think that's how it's intended?

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:
I think you're saying that that one American Nazi Party guy who owns 8,000 acres of desert land should have as much political say as all the Democrats who share 8,000 acres of urban land. You really think that's how it's intended?

Your game seems a little goofy, but let me try anyway...

I think you are saying that a few thousand city gangsters who occupy 100 acres can tell the few farmers on 100 acres that they are not allowed to grow food. Do you really intend to let children starve without food?

Nope, your "insert outlandish misrepresentations" game still looks goofy when I do it. On the off-hand chance that you actually want to discuss the issue seriously, the point is that different geographical localities have different needs. People on the coast have different needs than people on the plains, those in arid areas have different needs than those in swamps, and those in cities have different life styles than those in rural areas. To suggest that only those that live in a few cites know what’s best for the entire population regardless of geography, is a suggestion that mob rule has merits. I don't believe mob rule has merits; if fact I believe mobs are self defeating.

Paleo-con

What in the World are you guys talking about.

I am sure you know this. I meant 3/4 of the area of the State is dictated to by the 1/4 because they hold the majority of population.

I say this becuase of a couple bill recently regarding cougers and wolves. Where in the rest of the state, cougers and wolfs are destroying livestock at an alarming rate and threatening people. In the city, they think they are just cute little kitty cats and little puppies. So they got together and passed a bill restricting hunting. Now we have more cougers and wolves, causing more damage.

W.P's picture
W.P

The original voting rights were only for property owners, so the one acre one vote may be the intent, but progress granted others the right to determine their future, first non-landowners, then women, then racial minorities. Though with the killing off of ACORN the latter is questionable, and of course the homeless are disenfranchised, so we made a perfect circle. Maybe next we can deny the elderly after a certain age, like we do children...another life circle. Progress in America is defined as giving the cannibals a fork.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
I meant 3/4 of the area of the State is dictated to by the 1/4 because they hold the majority of population.
Yes, that is true. At the federal level, the method of allocating electoral votes is specified by the Constitution.
Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress
How would you like to see that done at the state level?

Art's picture
Art

Only in America can one person's vote be equal to ten other individual's votes, and then teach in school that all men are created equal. Some are more equal than others, in their hearts and minds, the defenders of this wretched excuse for representative government really believe they are better.

They demean the intelligence of the majority of their countrymen. The country knew 'w' should never be in a position of responsilbility. The people were right, and are paying the price, and their children are paying, for the fetishes of the minority.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/04/oregon_house_votes_to_expand_c.html

Cougar hunting in Oregon is not outlawed, per se. See link above.

I understand the argument for local control over certain issues. That's why we have local governments.

But that's a separate issue from the electoral college. The vote of an individual in Wyoming shouldn't carry more weight than the vote of an individual in Texas.

Of course, both major political parties are part of the corporatocracy/plutocracy, so I don't think it makes a whole hell of a lot of difference.

Garrett78's picture
Garrett78

The latest GOP stategy: Steal the elections, squash the voter registration drives, close the democrat poll stations.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.