What will the world be like WITHOUT America the economic superpower?

118 posts / 0 new

Comments

You have a point Cheesebone, but I am going to be calm about it. I think that China has it's world priorities straight, regardless of communism or no communism. I once skimmed through a book called "The Art of War." The thing about it is that its' advice can be used for many purposes, economic and political. The Chinese are not destroying their manufacturing or educational infrastructure. The Chinese are making investments based on cold and hard analysis, not sentimental favoritism. The Chinese are not afraid to go through uncomfortable short periods of time in their economy to adjust to new strategies. Cheesebone, you should read "The Art of War." I'm going to read it again. Scary stuff...

micahjr34

Actually,it's a pretty good work. Know the thinking of your enemy,and a few can conquor the many...

Add modern propoganda techniques to control their thinking,and it makes it all the easier.

“There’s class warfare, all right,” Mr. Buffett said, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/business/yourmoney/26every.html

Sun Tzu's ancient masterpiece has many applicatons.

On-line copy: http://www.chinapage.com/sunzi-e.html

As to military applications, we should probaby take heed to this: "There is no instance of a country having benefited. from prolonged warfare."

Retired Monk -"Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

My question is why does the Supreme Court get elected and serve for life? Why not have them serve a term of 12 years? They should be forced to retire after that term but continue to collect a pension that is the same as their salary. They are free to consult, write books etc for extra income and we would have a fresh turn over of talented and diverse people.

We should start in 5 years. The longest serving judge goes first and every 2 years another judge is replace. I could take the politics out of the appointment process. Senior Judge acts as Chief Justice, which would only be a 2 year term once the program has been underway for a few years. Resignations and the death of a judge is handled immediately with a replacement. 60 day time limit with a simple majority.

A steady turnover with also televised hearings. That would get rid of clowns like Thomas.

J.A.Hurley's picture
J.A.Hurley
Quote Thom Hartmann Administrator:China’s economy will be bigger than ours in just 5 years according to a new IMF analysis. By the year 2016, the purchasing power of the US economy will be $18.8 trillion – and China’s will be $19 trillion. Our reign as an economic powerhouse will end sooner than any of us predicted. The downward spiral starting with Reaganomics in 1981 and the explosion of free trade in the 1990’s has now reached terminal velocity today.

We need to start asking ourselves the tough questions, “What will the world be like WITHOUT America the economic superpower?” or "How do we get rid of Reaganomics?"

A better question is why would anybody want the United States to be "the" economic superpower? So that America can finance its global empire? Count me out on that.

Fear not, Sinophobes, Brazil and India are snapping at China's heels, even as China nips at America's heels today.

Ixtelan's picture
Ixtelan

Ixtelan wrote: A better question is why would anybody want the United States to be "the" economic superpower? So that America can finance its global empire? Count me out on that.

poly replies: It depends on what an economic super-power government run by an elite does with its super power status, doesn't it?

It can be used for good or ill just as an economic backwater government run by an elite can used for good or ill..Most seem to turn on their own majorities to maintain their own privilege by force.. I expect that's what will happen here when the rest of the world is no longer their oyster and the U.S. plunges into complete undeveloping nation status..

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage." - John Kenneth Gailbraith

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

History, so far, doesn't give one much hope, does it? It is hard for me to think of a benevolent super-anything.

Ixtelan's picture
Ixtelan

Oh, I don't know. At one time the Iroguois Confederation was the super-power in what is now the U.S. Four hundred+ years without war is a pretty good record..

A differing world view in what is now the U.S. didn't seem to produce a whole lot of Genghis Kahns, or Feudal Lords.

polycarp2

I think Thom's heart was in the right place about this issue, but the issue is not really 'who is the world's economic superpower', it's 'how do we get the US back on track'?

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

I don't understand what you mean by "back on track." If that means economic and political domination and exploitation of others, then count me out.

Ixtelan's picture
Ixtelan
Quote polycarp2:At one time the Iroguois Confederation was the super-power in what is now the U.S. Four hundred+ years without war is a pretty good record..

Iroquois. Okay.

Ixtelan's picture
Ixtelan

Would it really be so bad to accept being 3rd or 4th on the economic superpower list?

China and India will end up ahead of us sooner or later based upon their abundant supply of cheap labor and their new found ability and willingness to exploit it in the global market place. We can fight it out and hold our own with the EU (or some of it's individual members), Japan, Brazil, etc. But to continue the fantasy of staying number one forever by perpetuating bad economic policy runs the risk of spiraling us downward at a much faster pace that can land us way down at number 20 on the list. The ship has already sailed for us staying #1 forever. Is that really so bad?

Even drastic sound economic policy changes implemented immediately will never be able to fend off the 2 countries (China and India) that possess almost 40% of the most valuable resource needed in this economic race ..... CHEAP LABOR!!!

We can settle in to a nice comfortable place if we are reasonable.

Our new slogan: "We're number 3! We're number 3! We're number 3!"

3 is a much nicer number than 20.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood
Quote Laborisgood:We can settle in to a nice comfortable place if we are reasonable.

I agree completely.

Ixtelan's picture
Ixtelan

Protectionism will be our only saviour, but it will NOT keep us at #1 so much as postpone when we become #2 or 3 and/or keeps us far above #20.

God help us all if the GOP starts using protectionism as their new "God, Guns and Gays" scam while finding a way to bastardize protectionism to suit their selfish needs.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

All America need do is become a good global citizen, not a world overlord.

Ixtelan's picture
Ixtelan

Wow, Im loving the conversations.... does anyone have a clear understanding about Thom's response to Robert Wiedemer's book Aftershock?.. ( and the accompanying videos on the web predicting a major recession crash in the next two years???

...just wondering if Robert's economic ideas hold up to good critical analysis?

thanks !

salamandersound's picture
salamandersound
Quote salamandersound:

Wow, Im loving the conversations.... does anyone have a clear understanding about Thom's response to Robert Wiedemer's book Aftershock?.. ( and the accompanying videos on the web predicting a major recession crash in the next two years???

...just wondering if Robert's economic ideas hold up to good critical analysis?

thanks !

poly replies: Sure. Just go back and look at the results of those ideas from the late 40's to the early 70's. The U.S. developed the largest middle class and the highest living standards the world had ever seen. We threw away those ideas...some nations adopted them.

Now the Germans have wages double ours and the Danes a min. wage 2 1/2 times ours. A German auto worker union scale is $60 an hour. U.S. union scale is $30, etc. .

Additional compensation is in the form of health care, free univ. education, etc.

Germany produces and exports high-tech goods. The U.S. more and more is exporting raw materials. We can't even produce light rail transist systems. They are imported from high tech nations like Germany or Switzerland...countries that invested heavily in education. 1/3 of German homes produce solar power. What's the rate in the U.S.?

polycarp2

The economic recovery of our World War II enemies was inevitable. Their watime devastation dealth the Americans a good hand. Today, we get a better sense of what international economic relations would have been like without the war.

Today's economic conditions are normal, not abnormal.

Ixtelan's picture
Ixtelan

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.