I believe Comcast is purposely blocking RT News channel on certain days recently, so I can't see your shows

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shane76
Shane76's picture

Hello my name is Shane McClellan, and I am a Comcast Cable TV subscriber.

Since early last year, Comcast has been carrying the RT news network which has your show, The Big Picture, in the Chicago area.  I live in Naperville, Illinois in the USA.  RT news network is on channel 103, also known as Leased Access 103 (shows up as "LA103" on the digital guide) in our area.

In the past 2 weeks, the network has been replaced by American infomercials (all day commercials) on at least 3 occasions.  On the 3rd occasion (May 3, 2011, yesterday), I called Comcast and asked them why this is happening, and the customer service representative put me on hold for at least 15 minutes while she talked to a supervisor about the matter.  She told me that part of RT's lease agreement with Comcast requires that they allow the channel to run these American commercials all day once in a while.  I do not believe this to be true.  I think Comcast is purposely blocking the broadcasts, perhaps to block things that contradict what the mainstream media wants to propagate.  Comcast now owns NBC and MSNBC, so this is why I am thinking they are purposely blocking RT News channel.

This is really starting to get under my skin, since RT News is all I really watch anymore.  I know you (Thom) and Alyona have both mentioned Comcast's and AT&T's practices on RT before, and I have also emailed RT directly about the matter.  I am hoping my voice will be heard, and that the matter will be looked into and resolved.  I have looked elsewhere on the internet for other people having this issue, and so far to no avail.

Tag.  You're It.

Edit- I've also sent you a personal email under the name "John Doe", so don't ignore that please.  I was having trouble with my email account settings but now I figured them out.  Usually I use that email for anonymous purposes but to hell with it.  I don't know if anyone pays attention to everything posted on this site so i am assuring myself that my message gets through to the proper people.

Comments

captbebops
captbebops's picture
About two weeks ago they did

About two weeks ago they did seem to be down with a message that they were performing "maintenance".  A little odd but then it is really just a low quality video feed like a YouTube stream.  I often record Thom's show and also get much news off RT.  I would suspect that such open press is making the US ministry of propaganda very nervous.

louisehartmann
louisehartmann's picture
Shane. Thanks for pointing

Shane. Thanks for pointing this out - it was an error and it is either fixed now or will be shortly. Let me know if it continues.

Yammerman
May it be that the PTB, will

May it be that the PTB, will jack the progressive programing around, just to get, and asses the reaction. If so, then it will bode well for the The Big Picture, if when TBP is supplanted, the PTB's hear a clamor of outrage.

criminey
criminey's picture
I live in the West Chicago

I live in the West Chicago suburbs, like the original poster. I have noticed that RT is subject to an inordinate amount of outages and incidences of the screen "freezing" for prolonged periods. Right now the sound has been cut for almost 12 hours. I have to think this problem is created by Comcast.

david765
david765's picture
  Same here. The audio has

Same here. The audio has been out for hours on at least two occaisions. I'm a regular RT viewer. I suspect The Big Picture and other programs make the MSM more than nervous. It's the only unvarnished news source on cable that I know of.

Bob1492
Bob1492's picture
I just started having some

I just started having some problems, too, also with RT on Comcast. I watched RT this morning before I went to work but when I got home this afternoon the RT channel (103) has a blank screen. I still get all the other channels only 103 (RT) is affected. I called Comcast technical assistance call center (It's in the Phillipines I think) and the woman there did all the things they normally do for a reception problem but the RT channel (and only that channel) is still blank. 

Hope it comes back on because I watch it all the time. If anyone knows what's going on let me know. Thanks...

edbucci
edbucci's picture
I've been noticing RT in

I've been noticing RT in Philadelphia, PA has been down more and more and it seems to be specific shows.  At first I just thought it was RT and today came to the realization that it must be comcast.  And boom I ask the question in google and a number of blogs pop up with the same issue and same dates I have noticed the issue.This company has no respect for real news or anything that goes against corporate agendas that is why RT is blocked and at the same time I also suspect that Comcast is blocking RT because of some imbargo's the US is putting on Russia because of Ukraine.  So take your pick but to me blocking any news stations is a 1st amendment violation no matter the country it comes from.  I can't stand US news stations because they are not news just corporate propaganda machines that have no real journalism and parrot weekly agandas or celebrity bull crap, no real fact reporting news stations left in the US except HBO and PBS (which is kind of sketchy at best but to me still legitimate for now.)  Comcast is in bed with the government and is also trying to get a merger deal through to become an even bigger monopoly and I believe this is their way of sucking up to lawmakers so the deal goes through.