Republicans are undermining public education in America

6 posts / 0 new

Students are screwed. Republicans are undermining public education in America. All around the country – Republican governors are pillaging their state’s education budgets – syphoning off hundreds of millions of dollars from public education and moving that money into voucher programs. These voucher programs even give corporations dollar-for-dollar tax breaks to give families a voucher to send their student to a charter school or a private religious school.

So the government – through corporate middlemen – is funding religious schools. In Wisconsin – Governor Scott Walker is slashing $900 million out of his education budget and adding $750 million to a school voucher program. Likewise – in New Jersey – Governor Chris Christie cut $820 million out of his education budget last year – then created an $825 million school voucher program this year. Since Reagan – Republicans have been trying to kneecap public education in America – just so corporate CEOs and churches can turn education into a big business.

Thomas Jefferson devoted his life to free, public education available to everyone in America rich or poor. But today – Republicans are turning their back on our most influential founding father.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

I wonder what Republicans would say if some vouchers went for a fundamentalist Wahabi Muslim school

Erik300's picture
Erik300

If the education dollars go to the child and that child parents choose what school the child gos to is that still not public education?

WorkerBee's picture
WorkerBee

If you want a religious based education.... that is your personal choice and on your dollar.

Everyone benefits from public education..... the entire society benefits from an educated public.

delete jan in iowa

Thom talks about how great public education was from the 1950's to the 1970's... but adults educated in those schools have been electing our politicians for the last 30 years. If someone entered kindergarten in 1982, they probably turned 18 in 1995... I don't think they're the ones who tipped the scales in favor of people like Mitch McConnell and George W. Bush.

chilidog

Thom is right about Reagan changing the education system. I saw it first hand when I was in the third grade during Reagan's first term. We skipped learning the metric system. It was in the text book and the kids the year before had to learn it. I remember the teacher telling us that is was no longer required and we would be skipping that chapter. It seemed to me weird since it was in the book and I think that is why I have such a strong memory of it. Everytime I hear Thom talk about Reagan removing the solar panels off of the White House roof, I think of being told that we do not have to learn the metric system.

spicoli's picture
spicoli

Currently Chatting

How Global Warming Harms Your Health...

Most Americans understand the basic ways that global warming is damaging our planet. They recognize that warmer temperatures mean bigger storms, longer droughts, and higher sea levels, but they don't realize the ways that climate change impacts their personal health.