Republicans hate Democracy

27 posts / 0 new

The Republicans are trying to repeal Oregon's vote by mail law which increases voter participation. Proof that they hate Democracy.

http://www.facebook.com/restorepollvotinginoregon

Other states need to adopt Vote by Mail.

Erik300's picture
Erik300

Comments

I think that republicans base their concept of democracy on property rights, that is the notion that personal freedoms and social liberties are based on the concept of what you own and how much money a person has in the bank. Progressives base their concept of democracy on living people and the inherent worth of being human. A strict Randian Objectivist would call this "irrational" or "subjective." However, there are shades of gray to this. Most Republicans don't directly associate with Rand's ideas. Also, some progressives are less into "people" than others. Also, many republicans subscxribe to the notion of "if you are not with me you are against me," whereas the democracy values of Progressives tend to encourage variety and acceptance of differences (but not always).

micahjr34

On the flip side. Wisconsin democrat representatives fleeing their state so they don't have to vote and grinding the legislative wheels to a halt is the epitome of democracy.

Calperson's picture
Calperson

Are you joking? Not funny, but thanks for being honest...

micahjr34
Quote micahjr34:

I think that republicans base their concept of democracy on property rights, that is the notion that personal freedoms and social liberties are based on the concept of what you own and how much money a person has in the bank. Progressives base their concept of democracy on living people and the inherent worth of being human. A strict Randian Objectivist would call this "irrational" or "subjective." However, there are shades of gray to this. Most Republicans don't directly associate with Rand's ideas. Also, some progressives are less into "people" than others. Also, many republicans subscxribe to the notion of "if you are not with me you are against me," whereas the democracy values of Progressives tend to encourage variety and acceptance of differences (but not always).

Well the whole point as Thom often says is that the less people vote the better for Republicans. They KNOW that poll voting on weekdays is going to keep a lot working people out of the vote leaving the older voters who are retired with all day to vote and are usually Republican and vote much more frequently.

Vote by Mail works fantastically and is much more convenient. I filled out my ballot a couple nights ago in the comfort of my living room carefully going through the voter's pamphlet for each measure and person. I, like millions of others, dont have the time to stand in a line at the polls on a workday.

Erik300's picture
Erik300

"I just hand it over to my Husband, & He does it".
Overheard from the line to check-out at the market.
So, vote by mail has some trouble with it.
I say, Election day should be, Election Weekend, from Tuesday, to Sunday; 20:00 hours.
The ballots are to be paper, and be marked by hand.
At the end of voting, Sunday Evening, all of the poll watchers are to attend their duty, and look over the opening of the ballot box's. The ballots are then to be counted, and the tallies recorded in a highly public manner, with big dry erase boards, chalk boards, or old time over-head projectors. Then, the counted ballots are to be gathered and sent on to The County election authority.
An ambiance of patriotic celebration is to pervade the proceedings, with Independence day decor, bunting, and so on. As schools & churches, equipped with kitchens, are commonly polling places, the provision of food; cake, pies, cookies, hot dishes, will be desired. Coffee, Tea, and other beverages, of course.

Yammerman
Quote Calperson:

On the flip side. Wisconsin democrat representatives fleeing their state so they don't have to vote and grinding the legislative wheels to a halt is the epitome of democracy.

Are you serious?

Pure Hypocrisy.

The Republican Congressional minority in 2009 and 2010 used or threatened to use procedures to prevent bills coming up for vote more than any other 2 consecutive legislative years in the history of America.

Only a hypocrite, a manipulator, or ignoramus would make such a suggestion.

Jah's picture
Jah

Voter suppression is a standard GOP tactic, and the corruption of the process by corporate cash is about the Supremely Anti-Democratic theology of property rights as political rights. The idea that money equals speech embraces the problem as if it were the solution. Free speech gets drowned out by the power of money. If you want free speech, you have to protect it from the sound distortion and access issues run by money. The Supremes hate democracy even more than the Republicans.

They like the idea of free speech and equal protection. Gay Marriage as equal human and civil rights does not conflict with the power of money in plutocracy. They can follow the nation culturally and allow what the public wants where ending racism, sexism and homophobia is concerned. The Supremes have never led the way and have steadfastly stood in the way of progress until they had to give way. Small wonder that they have endorsed Corporate Domination under the rhetoric of personal freedom.

The GOPimps in Congress serve their plutocratic masters slavishly. Democracy always gets in the way of the CEO culture of ruling. The point of "management" is to cut through the ambiguities and complexities of workers and citizens to make decisions efficiently. That these decisions serve owners and investors instead of workers and citizens is the point, of course. People would never vote for this crap were it presented honestly. The job of the Pimps is to act out and distract so democracy never makes it to the game board. We get screwed and they keep the cash from the Corporate Johns. And they call it democracy. Thanks Bruce.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote Yammerman:"I just hand it over to my Husband, & He does it". Overheard from the line to check-out at the market. So, vote by mail has some trouble with it. I say, Election day should be, Election Weekend, from Tuesday, to Sunday; 20:00 hours. The ballots are to be paper, and be marked by hand. At the end of voting, Sunday Evening, all of the poll watchers are to attend their duty, and look over the opening of the ballot box's. The ballots are then to be counted, and the tallies recorded in a highly public manner, with big dry erase boards, chalk boards, or old time over-head projectors. Then, the counted ballots are to be gathered and sent on to The County election authority. An ambiance of patriotic celebration is to pervade the proceedings, with Independence day decor, bunting, and so on. As schools & churches, equipped with kitchens, are commonly polling places, the provision of food; cake, pies, cookies, hot dishes, will be desired. Coffee, Tea, and other beverages, of course.

"I just hand it over to my Husband, & He does it". Did YOU hear that personally or is that some Reichwing propaganda you heard somewhere? Because I've never heard of that here. I think that would be highly illegal. And your grand election day might be good every 2 or 4 years but we have a few local elections all the time like this one next Tuesday for school levies and a few other things.

Erik300's picture
Erik300

Many couples agree politically, and when one does the research it could easily result in "I just let him fill it out." The prospect of independent wife voting in highly patriarchal social settings is not great even with a "secret" ballot. Buying into the legitimacy of "Him" being the head of the family has little to do with how elections are held.

What I can be certain about is that the likelihood of a Left leaning woman to give up her choices to her husband is near to zero while it fits the model of the Right. If anyone is letting her husband do it without knowing what he is doing, it would be the subservient ones.

DRC's picture
DRC

I'm sure the helpful folks at ACORN will be happy to go to the nursing home and "help" people fill out thier ballots.

PeeWee Returns's picture
PeeWee Returns

Republicans are just the living dead anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo2iaR-TwRE

Let's hope they run Romney in 2012 because the country won't vote for a member of a cult.

captbebops's picture
captbebops
Quote PeeWee Returns:I'm sure the helpful folks at ACORN will be happy to go to the nursing home and "help" people fill out thier ballots.

You realize, of course, that ACORN employees didn't engage in such practices, right?

Voter registration fraud, which some ACORN employees did engage in, is a minor crime that was blown way out of proportion (for obvious reasons). Paying people to register voters is clearly not a good idea. But Mickey Mouse isn't going to show up to vote on election day, so the fact that Mickey Mouse was registered doesn't have much impact.

Garrett78's picture
Garrett78

PeeWee, you really have to keep up. The ACORN references just make you look ignorant and passe. ACORN was exonerated and the FAUX liars exposed, and voter suppression is the problem, not the registration of false voters. ACORN followed the law, noted the irregular voter forms, and turned them into the authorities. That was what the law said they should do. The Liars made it sound as if they tried to get the false forms accepted.

When you have Liars caught red handed and you keep referring to their lies, you do not sound as if you are paying attention and appear to have your talking point implant functioning.

What I find interesting is how regularly what the Republicans accuse Democrats of doing is what the Republicans are doing at much more intense levels. Is it just the projection of guilt, or something worse?

DRC's picture
DRC

I agree with DRC. Those who turn over their ballot to a spouse are more than likely going to vote the same way as their spouse even if voting inside of a private booth. And this is more likely to happen amongst the authoritarian-minded (right wing) segment of the population.

I wonder what percentage of couples have differing registrations.

Garrett78's picture
Garrett78
Quote DRC:What I find interesting is how regularly what the Republicans accuse Democrats of doing is what the Republicans are doing at much more intense levels. Is it just the projection of guilt, or something worse?

What I find interesting is how much stuff is simply made up out of thin air. There are so many legitimate reasons to be pissed off at the Democratic Party as a whole (including Obama), and yet so many of the attacks are nonsensical (such as those that keep Snopes in business).

I think that's because the legitimate reasons to be pissed off at Dems are the same as the legitimate reasons to be pissed off at Repubs. And those who plant the seeds for these nonsensical, baseless attacks are desperate to maintain the illusion that the 2 parties are far apart, even polar opposites. They also like to place an over-emphasis on social, wedge issues that are ultimately determined by cultural shifts and not 1 political party or another.

Garrett78's picture
Garrett78

"I think that's because the legitimate reasons to be pissed off at Dems are the same as the legitimate reasons to be pissed off at Repubs." Garrett

Much easier and ultimately beneficial to criticize Obama for where he was born or for being a Muslim than acting as a right wing "conservative." Obama is the best corporate candidate to come along in some time.

norske's picture
norske

Yep, it's one big show. It's a game. Distract, distract, distract.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."

As Hedges states, Obama is a brand.

Garrett78's picture
Garrett78
Quote DRC:

PeeWee, you really have to keep up. The ACORN references just make you look ignorant and passe. ACORN was exonerated and the FAUX liars exposed, and voter suppression is the problem, not the registration of false voters. ACORN followed the law, noted the irregular voter forms, and turned them into the authorities. That was what the law said they should do. The Liars made it sound as if they tried to get the false forms accepted.

When you have Liars caught red handed and you keep referring to their lies, you do not sound as if you are paying attention and appear to have your talking point implant functioning.

What I find interesting is how regularly what the Republicans accuse Democrats of doing is what the Republicans are doing at much more intense levels. Is it just the projection of guilt, or something worse?

The rightwing propagandists latch onto anything they possibly can to demonize the leftwing. The joke is if Obama walked on water they would accuse him of not being able to swim, or if he turned water into wine they would accuse him of being alcoholic. Go to Foxnation.com to see what I mean. Baseless and Pathetic stuff.

They propagate and perpetuate the Culture Wars to divide and conquer the middle class as much as possible. They use racist dog whistles like ACORN, food stamps and the CRA ( Community Reinvest aCT) to blame the left for everything.

Erik300's picture
Erik300
Quote DRC:

Of course you're right DRC; I'm hasty in judging ACORN. They're just regular folks trying to help "get out the vote". The news media is just trying to smear their efforts to help the people.

Don't be such a sanctimonious fool. Loosening up voting requirements makes it easier for crooks in both parties to cook the books.

PeeWee Returns's picture
PeeWee Returns
Quote PeeWee Returns:
Quote DRC:

Of course you're right DRC; I'm hasty in judging ACORN. They're just regular folks trying to help "get out the vote". The news media is just trying to smear their efforts to help the people.

Don't be such a sanctimonious fool. Loosening up voting requirements makes it easier for crooks in both parties to cook the books.

The Brad Blog specializes in election fraud. Here's a great story how Okeefe's partner in the ACORN hoax threw him under the bus when she was slapped with a $75,000 lawsuit. http://www.bradblog.com/?p=8373

Erik300's picture
Erik300

Let's be sure to not confuse election fraud and voter fraud, as the corporate media would like us to. There's a world of difference between the two. The former, which ACORN did not engage in, is far more serious.

Examples of election fraud include disenfranchisement of eligible voters, voting machine irregularities, the absence of voting machines in urban precincts, etc. All of which and then some has taken place in recent years.

Garrett78's picture
Garrett78
Quote Garrett78:

Let's be sure to not confuse election fraud and voter fraud, as the corporate media would like us to. There's a world of difference between the two. The former, which ACORN did not engage in, is far more serious.

Examples of election fraud include disenfranchisement of eligible voters, voting machine irregularities, the absence of voting machines in urban precincts, etc. All of which and then some has taken place in recent years.

Dont worry, Brad covers it all. And your examples of election fraud are all Republican standard practices. They hate democracy. In Wisconsin I heard they are trying to keep the college students from voting as well. The voting machines are owned by Republicans who keep the software proprietary and now in Oregon they are trying to outlaw our very popular Vote by Mail.

And if Republicans hate democracy, they must hate America. Ironic, since Thom had a RWinger on this morning claiming that Liberals hate America.

Erik300's picture
Erik300

Vote caging is the republican tactic of stripping people already registered from the roles. If you are black, and you go to vote, your name is gone, your registration card in your pocket doesn't matter.

Vote caging is an illegal trick to suppress minority voters (who tend to vote Democrat) by getting them knocked off the voter rolls if they fail to answer registered mail sent to homes they aren't living at (because they are, say, at college or at war). The Republican National Committee reportedly stopped the practice following a consent decree in a 1986 case. Google the term and you'll quickly arrive at the Wizard of Oz of caging, Greg Palast, investigative reporter and author of the wickedly funny Armed Madhouse: From Baghdad to New Orleans—Sordid Secrets and Strange Tales of a White House Gone Wild. Palast started reporting allegations of Republican vote caging for the BBC's Newsnight in 2004. He's been almost alone on the story since then. Palast contends, both in Armed Madhouse and widely through the liberal blogosphere, that vote caging, an illegal voter-suppression scheme, happened in Florida in 2004 this way:

The Bush-Cheney operatives sent hundreds of thousands of letters marked "Do not forward" to voters' homes. Letters returned ("caged") were used as evidence to block these voters' right to cast a ballot on grounds they were registered at phony addresses. Who were the evil fakers? Homeless men, students on vacation and—you got to love this—American soldiers. Oh yeah: most of them are Black voters.

Why weren't these African-American voters home when the Republican letters arrived? The homeless men were on park benches, the students were on vacation—and the soldiers were overseas.

Palast supplies evidence linking Tim Griffin, then-research director for the RNC, to this caging plot; specifically, a series of confidential e-mails to Republican Party muckety-mucks with the suggestive heading "RE: caging." The e-mails were accidentally sent to a George Bush parody site. They also contained suggestively named spreadsheets, headed "caging" as well. The names on the lists are what Palast's researchers deemed to be homeless men and soldiers deployed in Iraq. Here are the e-mails.

As Palast points out—and Griffin himself has observed—the American media barely touched this story, and Griffin has yet to explain the e-mails or the lists. He did tell The New Yorker's Jane Mayer last March that "caging is not a derogatory term. ... [I]t's a direct-mail term. It derives from caging categories of mail in steel shelves and files." Still, that hardly explains why he was allegedly caging only transient African-American voters in those shelves or files, which would likely violate the Voting Rights Act.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

PeeWee, your response is still pitiful. "Sanctimonious fool" is a lovely insult, but WTF are you talking about? What I said is that ACORN engaged in legal and legitimate voter registration and did not try to cheat. If they focus on demographics likely to be Liberal instead of Conservative, OMG what at terrible thing that would be! If large parts of the poorer demographics are not voting, is it wrong to try to register them? Is that some deck stacking strategy or just the expansion of the franchise and of participation in democracy?

The problem with the ACORN meme is that it reveals how nasty and corrupt the GOPimps are and what they will tolerate in terms of conduct from their creeps. Republicans do not like democracy and are doing everything they can to consolidate power in authoritarian ruling elites. The Koch Bros. and Ilk are enemies of America whose money does not translate into civic vision or social morality. It is not the first time that too much money has gone to the heads of the wealthy elites. I give you the French Aristocracy whose neglect of the people sets a pattern for stupidity. I think the present GOPimps are about that wise.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote DRC:

PeeWee, your response is still pitiful. "Sanctimonious fool" is a lovely insult, but WTF are you talking about? What I said is that ACORN engaged in legal and legitimate voter registration and did not try to cheat.

So, I am just wondering how your statement reconciles over the fact that over 18 ACORN employees were convicted. If you can answer a direct question, why do people "engaged in legal and legitimate voter registration" have to spend time in jail for violating voter registration laws?

So here we have a clear case of democracy being protected (by Democrat IG’s and prosecutors none the less) from those that would undermine it, yet you side with the perpetrators; why is that? You always seemed to be a strong supporter of democracy. Could this be a case of partisanship blindness?

Paleo-con

Probably since the head of Enron was thrown in the pokey, the rest of Enron's employees are guilty of something as well. Revoke the corporate charter.and bury the company.

What's fair treatment for ACORN is fair treatment for corporate America, as well, isn't it?

Republicans in general don't like large voter turnouts. There are more poor and middle classes seeking redress for grievances than the wealthy.

Getting rid of the mail-in ballot will eliminate a lot of disabled voters who can't afford a cab or retain a chauffeur. Most living on Disabiityly Income can't afford either one.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Currently Chatting

GOP Blocks Equal Pay...again.

Just in time for election season, Senate Republicans blocked legislation aimed at closing the gender pay gap. For the third time since 2012, Republicans refused to allow debate on the Paycheck Fairness Act, and reminded women that the GOP doesn't believe in equal pay for equal work.