Sick society

4 posts / 0 new

consuming-kids covers a lot of the current societal ills.

ADHD, & childhood obesity, the need to buy your identity.....

@ about 48 minutes you get GW Bush pronouncing the success of creating future republicans, and 3 minutes later you get to see the cost of this crap and the true scam. One thing about engineering the future generation to die earlier, it makes the pension shortfall less problematic.

Once again it is traced back to Reagan, FTC and FCC are privatised so you're on your own.

Thom, Sue, Louise, some of the figures in the film would be great guests for Big Picture, radio, or Great minds interviews.

Juliet Schor has written 'Born to Buy'

Maybe some parents like to raise consumers, or kids that surreptitiously lead their friends to a consumer path, that they get points for, or bounty,or as the GIA tells it 'bling'.Using your friends is a new american standard, it's how you win.

How to commodify children.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Comments

Hey now, are you trying to knock capitalism? Isn't our current economic mantra, "make it, make them want it, and they will buy it"?

OK - enough with the tongue in cheek stuff. One of my long standing questions is this - where does the tipping point of consumption vs. waste lie? At what point does a person say, "I'm storing and/or throwing away more crap than I can even keep track of... ...yet, I still feel a need/impulse to buy more crap I really don't need. Enough is enough - I don't NEED to keep consuming."

This leads to my next question - what might happen to our consumer based, "capitalist" economy if people began to realize, "Who I truly am is not based on the things I purchase to present my self to others. Who I truly am is based on my character; how I actually interact with others."

bonnie

Jedis make great shoplifters.

I know people in their 30's that show up to work in Spunjbub pajamas. I think they're on welfare.

nimblecivet's picture
nimblecivet

Scalia says videos are alright for kids as long as there are no nipples[ scroll to about 17:00 mortal combat]

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Currently Chatting

GOP Blocks Equal Pay...again.

Just in time for election season, Senate Republicans blocked legislation aimed at closing the gender pay gap. For the third time since 2012, Republicans refused to allow debate on the Paycheck Fairness Act, and reminded women that the GOP doesn't believe in equal pay for equal work.