The Big Picture & The Thom Hartmann Program "On Air" Questions or Comments for Thom?

678 posts / 0 new
Last post

Comments

hodenkat
hodenkat's picture
What is the Democratic

What is the Democratic equivelant response to "FreedomWorks"  and "Americans for Prosperity" and if there aren't any why not?

BlueinIdaho
BlueinIdaho's picture
Hi Thom, I listen to you all

Hi Thom,

I listen to you all the time. You are brilliant. You mentioned today the Aden Forcast alert you received. I wondered if I could get a copy of that. I went to their website and signed up to be contacted but would love to know what it said about stocks today 8/4/11. Thanks for your incredible hard work, I've learned so much from you. Can you post it or send me an email?

Thanks,

Mary in Idaho

alan2a
alan2a's picture
I listen to the show, but

I listen to the show, but lately I have found that the arrogance and self aggrandisement is really off putting. Mr. Hartman consistently apologizes and rationalizes Obama's failing which to put it bluntly are that he has turned out to be basically a Republican. Maybe not a crazed fall of the right sid e of the earth Republican but a person with consistent policies that are more right wing than even middle of the road. But the bottom line is that Mr. Hartman argues over and over again that the answer is not to whine but to get active. What I'd like to remind Mr. Hartman and his listeners is we were active, very active in the 60's. Didn't change the party one iota. And in the end there was a backlash against anything liberal. Further we like good Democrats elected a Democratic congress in 06 and repeated in 08 along with a Democratic President. In 06 the cry was to end the wars. In 08 it was not only to end the wars but to change the regressive illegal policies of the last 8 years. And what did we get? Now there are four or five wars going on and GW's policies have been faithfully carried on and in many instances enhanced. If GW and his Administration were war criminals, I don't see how this Administration isn't also. So I would argue that Mr. Hartman's strategy has been tried numerous times and is an abysmal failure. Either we get some sort of progressive third party or we have to refuse to return any of these frauds to office. Otherwise there simply are no consequences for the myriad failures and sprint to the right of both the Party and Obama. Seems to me and a lot of other people that it doesn't take a Republican being elected in 2012 for it to be a disaster. Unless ones head is in the sand, the 60 or so tea party Republicans in the house are already running the country and in effect, if not in reality have taken over the role of the Presidency. If we progressives and liberals remain in the party's back pocket there is simply no reason for the Party or the putative Democrtic President to change a blessed thing.

Jimmijet
Jimmijet's picture
Hi Thom;  I know you don't

Hi Thom;

I know you don't necessarily think starting a third party is the way for progressives to express their frustration with the Democrat party. The problem I have with trying to reform the Democrat party is that's exactly what Howard Dean has been trying to do through Democracy for America. As a  matter of fact, so has Moveon.com, PCCC and several other progressive organizations. One or all of the organization mentioned have been trying to reform the Democrat party since Howard ran for the presidency, the debt ceiling debate just demonstrated how successful they have been.

howie
howie's picture
I don't post here to be

I don't post here to be discouraging; just trying to keep history from repeating.

When I worked in the anti war movement oh so long ago, a number of my fellow conspirators had worked through the local Democratic Party apparatus to be on the county central committee and the state central committee.  At one point the CDCs had a majority of anti-war activests on the state committee.  President Johnson was truely upset about this and sent Pat Brown in to clean it up, which he did despite the anti war majority among the party rank and file.  There have been other attempts over the years.  The idea of organizing through this mechanism is not new.  It seems to work better in the Republican Party, ironically enough.  The Democratic Party appears to be less democratic than that other one!  Central idealogical control has been strong and is currently the province of the DLC.  The religious right and now the teabaggers have made it work on the other side.  I hope someone can figure out how to make it work for the Democrats.

Jimmijet
Jimmijet's picture
Hi Thom; I sent the below

Hi Thom;

I sent the below email first to my Senators, and then to Ed Shultz. My intention in doing so was simply to seek clarification and understanding of the situation that I describe in the body of the email to the Senators. Perhaps you can address this issue on your show, because I'm certainly hardly anyone has thought about this and they need to start doing so. Like me, they have probably lived most of their life assuming that the status qua was just supposed to be that way. Thanks very much in advance, and by the way, you do a great job.  

"Ed; 

Below is an e-mail that I sent to both of my us senators from the state of California. I'm asking them to explain how oil companies get to treat a natural resource, that we all own as their own. Perhaps this is an issue that you need to discuss on your show, as opposed to just complaining about how the oil companies are ripping us off at the pumps, because the rip off starts way before the pumps. 

Thanks, 

James Townsend. "

" Senators; Feinstein and Boxer 

Please explain to me and the rest of the American public how private energy companies have been able in the past, and continue to have access to public land and resources, and are able to treat such resources as their own? The natural resources on public land and in the gulf of Mexico are public resources and as such are owned by all American citizens, yet Oil companies have been allowed to treat such resources as if they were the owners, and not the general public. Early oil wildcatters purchase land to drill on, or negotiated with the owners of property to allow them to drill for a negotiated share of the production. This relationship doesn't exist where public property and resources are concerned. How is it that we are the owners of the resources, yet have to pay profit to oil companies at the pumps, after paying them an upfront subsidy to produce, refine and deliver the finished product, that we own to us. Since we the people are the true owners, the money being paid at the pumps should be going to our federal treasury, as opposed to some oil company who had at best a very small ownership interest, which can be figured out. The relationship that oil companies have been able to arrange for themselves, and of course also for the politicians who make all such thievery possible, is tantamount to hiring a contractor to build a house for you, then paying the contractor rent so that you can reside in the home you paid to have built."

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something, but this relationship just doesn't sound right or feel very good.

gord-i
gord-i's picture
With more people dying from

With more people dying from poisonous food, shouldn't we beef up FDA regulations? 

Thom,

When I was a kid (way back in the Dark Ages) in Hawai'i, my 7th Grade Science teacher played this song to our class. It really struck a chord with me (oops) and I have been doing my part for the "Commons" ever since. I'm surprised you haven't used it (or, I've missed it on your show) whenever you talk about regulations and regulatory agencies.

http://youtu.be/nz_-KNNl-no

Jeff Thirtyacre
Jeff Thirtyacre's picture
                Why haven't

Why haven't politicians talked about getting rid of NAFTA and re-instating import taxes.

Discuss why Republicans are trying to kill off our population by cutting inspectors and cutting medical coverage for people on medicare and medicaid.  I guess they can't get elected so that is their next attempt to change the number of Democrats.

wtsmith09
wtsmith09's picture
Thom & Bernie, the

Thom & Bernie, the Republicants and their Lobbyist handlers are very creative in manipulating the system for the benefit of the rich.  I would suggest that the Administration get creative and direct the Attorney General to charge McConnel, Boner (Boehner) & Cantor with High Crimes and Misdemeanors.  They have violated their pledge to uphold the Constitution.  They do not represent their constituents that elected them, but rather the interests of rich lobbies.  It is what they would do, oh wait a minute, they did do it back in the nineties with Bill Clinton,  Get CREATIVE.

Thank you both for all you do!

Jgmdesign
Jgmdesign's picture
Give kudos to John Kerry for 

Give kudos to John Kerry for  saying today on Morning Joe that the media, in it's efforts to report "both sides", is failing the American public by giving equal weight to insane ultra right ideology.

rchiodo
rchiodo's picture
What % of Americans would

What % of Americans would agree to repealing the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy only, taking that $700 billion in revenue and earmarking it for infrastructure projects?

I wrote a petition today for just this that I would like to deliver to Bernie Sanders so he can use it as leverage to FORCE a national debate about our screwed up priorities and how simple many of our economic problems are to fix. It can be found at http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sensible-solution.html

Fogyreef
Fogyreef's picture
Can you work this blog post

Can you work this blog post into a segment to refocus the debate towards what matters and not what's mythology, vis a vis gay marriage?  I believe it stops 99% of defense of marriage arguments in their tracks.

"Marriage" isn't about love.
You can be in love and not be married.
You can be married and not be in love.

"Marriage" isn't about sex.
You can have sex and not be married.
You can be married and not have sex.

"Marriage" isn't about children.
You can have children and not be married.
You can be married and not have children.

"Marriage" isn't about religion.
You can be religious and not be married.
You can be married and not be religious.

"Marriage" isn't about vows.
You can make vows without being married.
You can be married without vows, only an affirmation; "I do".

"Marriage" isn't about rings.
You can wear rings without being married.
You can be married without exchanging rings.

Supporters and non-supporters both need to learn what marriage ISN'T before trying to argue what it IS.

Marriage is legally only about property, citizenship, kinship and inheritance. The marriage license is an application for State and Federal benefits granted a specific class of people. All arguments about love, romance, reproduction, religious dogma, tradition and family values are CULTURAL MYTHOLOGY and display ignorance of the legal fiction called marriage.

Denying US Citizens benefits granted others on the basis of their sexual orientation is unconstitutional. Denying gays benefits because they offend the sensibilities of bigots is no more valid than denying the bigots the same benefits because I am offended by them.

Fogyreef
Fogyreef's picture
Can you endeavor to focus all

Can you endeavor to focus all debates on the topic of raising corporate taxes away from

"can't tax the job creators"

to "If you raise taxes on corporate profits you disincentivise CEO's hoarding profits to buy toys and instead make it prudent to reinvest money into the company."

If you stick to the mantra that higher corporate taxes = fewer yachts and more jobs we'll win the debate.

billmillerhomes
On your anything goes show 5

On your anything goes show 5 aug, you stated that Keynesian economics did not suggest tax cuts at all.  The msnbc guy sitting in for Martin Bashir (Ezra Klein) today suggested the opposite along with Boring Joe.  Needless to say, I'm truly dissapointed with G.E. and msnbc.  They aren't the mirror of fixed noise (FOX), but they hold their own corporate line by ommitting so much relavant news.  They flushed Kieth and Cenk and I'm sure Rachel is waiting for the other shoe to drop.  So as far as I'm concerned they're done, or I take them with a grain of salt(as I do with all coporate media).  I get better news from non american sources.  Where can I go short of reading the entire history of J.M. Keyne to verify his true position on taxes.

Caesar Honeybee
Caesar Honeybee's picture
Thom, as I posted on your

Thom, as I posted on your facebook page, I am now going to go out and join the democratic party! I am a working class single dad who was in Madison, One Nation DC rally, and many anit war protests but I was never a member of the Democratic Party. I only voted for them if it was a close election, but I voted "green" if the election was "sewn" for the Dem. Your last two previous shows have inspired me to take back the Democratic Party. Thanks for the motivation.

P.S. Have you heard of the "Free Hugs" rallies around the world. If not, a group of people just walk around cities with a handmade "FREE HUG" sign and just gives hugs to those who want one. Powerful stuff. I am organizing a Chicago rally in the next week!

Bubba G
Bubba G's picture
I heard Austan Goolsbee on

I heard Austan Goolsbee on MSNBC this morning promoting more free trade agreements to help our economy.  The truth is that our chronic and massive trade imbalance is a main contributor to our status as a net debtor nation.  The facts show that promoting a trade agreement is nothing more than promoting a trade deficit.  It is a shame President Obama is getting advice from economists like Austan Goolsbee.  If our elected leaders are so concerned about our debt limit Thom, why do they not mention anything about our chronic trade deficit?

Rihter
Hi Thom, I am curious if you

Hi Thom,

I am curious if you are aware of Richard Heindenberg and his work with The Post Carbon Institute. I deeply respect both his, and your work. However, I can't remember you addressing how peak resource production will impact the traditional economic models that depend on economic growth. It seems to me, with my limited understanding, that whether you follow Keynes, Hayek, Friedman, Marx, or Adam Smith's economic theories you are still restrained to growth, and limited by available resources. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And if I'm not...how can we possibly prosper if we don't completely break from current economic theory?

miksilvr
Wisconsin, take a step

Wisconsin, take a step towards putting Scott Walker and his Trojan Horse out to pasture ! This Trojan Horse was filled with the Koch brothers and members of ALEC who have been exposed. Vote for the Democratic party candidates in the state senate recall election on Tuesday August the 9th. You have the chance to start taking back control of Wisconsin from the corporate self-serving interests that own Scott Walker and his pals. Show the rest of the country that the phrase "We the people" and "We the corporations" are not one and the same.

Mike

netwerkjim
netwerkjim's picture
Dear Thom, you were talking

Dear Thom, you were talking about how to become a precinct committee person. I want to do this in my area but have run into a roadblock.

First I typed in on Google, how I become a precinct committee person in La Mesa Ca. Then San Diego which is my county, then I tried just California. What came up was all information on how the Tea Party can do this, not a thing on how to do this in California.

So then I tried to go to the Democrat website to ask the same question and all I got was a website that wanted my donation and links for paid jobs with them.

Nowhere was there a link to send them an email to get some more information so I can become a committee person.

This is an example of why the Republicans are doing so well and the Democrats are not.

Who do I contact to do this?

Thank you,

Jim O'Fallin
 La Mesa, Ca.

mr.bill
mr.bill's picture
http://classicliberal.tripod.

http://classicliberal.tripod.com/cato/letter017.html

How does this Cato letter compare to what is going today?

My jaw hit the floor when I read this. I believe this reads like a play book for the Bush presidency.

j.sea
j.sea's picture
340 Thousand Children Face

340 Thousand Children Face imminent death by starvation in Somalia and refugee camps in Kenya -- slow and painful death -- and meanwhile we here in Washington DC have made war and protecting the the wealth of billionaires our national priority. How can we have a national referendum on what our national and global priorities should be?

loomis53
loomis53's picture
Where can one find raw data

Where can one find raw data about the taxes paid by the top 1%, top .01%, etc.  You hear these figures thrown out all the time in aggregate, but direct sources are rarely provided. Do you know of where these can be obtained? I've looked at irs.gov and have only found data that lumps the top elite into a much broader category.

Sailorman
Sailorman's picture
  The Wisconsin Recall

The Wisconsin Recall Election has brought me to a moment of reflection of why there is such a national (even international), highly organized and brutal attack on Unions by the Corporate Culture.  The Marshal Plan after WW II got it right in their fight against fascism by stipulating that a board of directors for any company had to be composed of half labor and half ownership/management.  Cooperation was and is mandatory if the common purpose of survival and growth are to be obtained. 

I have a Masters in Industrial Management and another in Industrial Education.  I have taught high school shop, Industrial Management in China and I am currently an Engineer designing cheese manufacturing equipment outside Madison, Wisconsin that is shipped around the world.   Remember when high school shop classes meant a middle class future in manufacturing…The  “Old Middle Class” where a father could pay a mortgage, raise a family, pay home, health and life insurance, and have a new car every few years and a vacation every year.   These non-college bound yet highly productive and motivated kids still exist and now have a future in Obama’s Chicago School of Economics as a servant at Walmart.  But I regress…..

The reason there is such a Corporate hatred of Unions in America is 40years ago they were as un-yielding, non-cooperative and un-American and as powerful as the Walker government is today.   The union steward could stop a shop the moment a “white hat” came onto the floor by just raising his hand.  Those days still exist in Australia where I had to redesign a shield/door that was an arm’s length from the actual machine and no higher than 8in off the floor because somebody might crawl on their back, reach under the door and if they purposely worked at it, get their finger caught.  I was not only designing ‘idiot proof’, but ‘sabotage proof”.   People that purposely ignored safety and operational instructions could not be disciplined or fired.  The Union would close down the plant.  It was that Union Culture that drove Corporate Ownership/Management crazy and is the reason for Walker’s support and success.

My question is, if the Democrats and Unions win today, will there be a future of cooperation, or, as many of the interviewee’s on the Ed Shultz Show suggested last night on the telecast, to the victor go the spoils because “our side has won”.  I am a Progressive that realizes that labor and management must work in cooperation, as in Germany.   Corporatist’s that support ‘for profit health insurance’ and all the business cost that entails because they are on ‘our’ side is just as toxic as labor’s blind vote for Democratic candidates because they are on ‘our side” without realizing the need for a symbiotic relationship.  Obama is right about one thing, it is not red states and blue states, it is The United States.

Andy

Rodger97321
Rodger97321's picture
I was running errands today

I was running errands today and caught only portions of your radio show, so excuse me if you later clarified your statement about the U.S. being the only country that allows it's govt. to purchase goods from other countries.

The Buy American Act, which was passed by Congress in 1933 and signed by President Roosevelt - is still on the books - but is not being enforced.

While reviewing this year's H.R.1 (Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011 passed this Spring) I was surprised to see that the Secretary of Defense has given a blanket waiver to the provisions of the Buy American Act.

See Sections 8028 & 8029 which are on pages 61 & 62 on my copy.

So it seems, like in so many other instances this past decade, we need only enforce the rules thoughtfully and carefully put in place before.

And high Income folks should be happy to pay tax at whatever the rate was when they were born.

tayl44
tayl44's picture
Thom, THANK YOU Very Much for

Thom, THANK YOU Very Much for your "Give & Take" part of program and your Truman vs republicans message to Obama.Please keep it up,lets hope others will fellow your lead.Please try to do something on progressives people/groups not being united on one or two issues like in the 60s & 70s? Also,can you pick a "courageous progressive person/group" of the day/week/month/yr? Also a poll for solutions,example,"what`s the best way to prevent abortion" or the best way to prevent election fraud? Or replacing capilalism?  Thanks Again!  PS the public is more than hungry for "wisdom"!

kevin baggese
kevin baggese's picture
thom after having watched the

thom after having watched the big picture and the morning show on fstv for the last few months and listening to peter ferrera on quite a few occasions i would say that outside of some political and history re-edjumication i think one thing old peter should try is -DECAFF!!!!!!!!!he seems to go wonky whenever you ask him one of your typically calm and lucid questions.maybe thats it-lucidity!!it drives him bonkers-keep it up cause when he goes on a rambling shrill rampage it actually is quite amazing!!

kevin baggese
kevin baggese's picture
very good thoughts.i to think

very good thoughts.i to think labor and business can and should work in a symbiotic relationship.the problem now is this-while organized labor does not dispute the right of existence of corporate management-corporate America and the politicians in their pockets do in fact dispute the right of existance of organized labor and are willing to go to extremes to achieve that end.

Political_Paul
Political_Paul's picture
Thom, The Big Picture is a

Thom,

The Big Picture is a corporate/company and like entities coup d' etat upon our government in all three branches. The answer is two-pronged: 1- Corporations/companies, and like entities, are not a person, artificial or otherwise, but rather the property of individuals, acts at the direction of individuals, is assets of individuals, the directing individuals are responsible for the conduct of the corporation/company and like entities. 2- Corporations/companies, and like entities, are prohibited from any influence in the electoral/political system of these United States, including financial.

Everything negative that is happening, and has happened, is the result of a failure to have the above as the 28th Amendment to our Constitution. You really need me as a guest on your show because a 30 second call-in simply is not enough time. I was a union elected lobbyist in D.C. for a number of years, I know what I'm talking about!

Louise, an internet radio show is requesting Thom Hartmann as a guest. The site is called The Blitz, Revolution Now. Thom would do well on that program.

Paul Winger

Bruce Killingsworth
Bruce Killingsworth's picture
Yesterday, when speaking

Yesterday, when speaking about the riots in England, Thom used the phrase "when despair turns to rage". A somber but very accurate phrase. In our 'capitalist democracy' democracy has become a commodity, and it appears that the excercise of our democratic forms and rituals cannot meaningfully change our lives or our society; money and the media it controls does change our lives through a charade, a pretence of democracy. This is leading those of us who have not been lobotomized by Rupert Murdoch to a sense of profound despair. Communicators and public examples such as Thom Hartmann and Bernie Sanders keep many of us on the track of intellectual engagement with a broken and corrupt system, rather than sinking into a tempting but irremediable and self defeating state of rage.

Craigs
Craigs's picture
Wisconsin Recall

Wisconsin Recall Elections

Everyone knows that National Union (SEIU, AFL-CIO etc, etc - NOT local Wisconsin offices) organizations spent considerably more than any of the "oligarch" sources in Wisconsin recall elections.  The National Union groups were the primary driver for the action.  Why do you only call out the "oligarchs" (the Right) as being undemocratic?  And since when are Unions "democratic"?  Do they ask members to vote how they fund each issue?  Hardly.  Just because a voting result isn't to your liking doesn't make it illegitimate.

louisehartmann
louisehartmann's picture
Thanks Rodger - we're looking

Thanks Rodger - we're looking that up!

bladerunner1982
bladerunner1982's picture
Thom do u really believe the

Thom do u really believe the american people have a chance?  There are no trade laws in effect to save our economy.  Also  the democrats seem to be too inefective against the republican party to mount a defense.  My guess is that since most politicians are in the top income brackets, why would they mount a serious defense against the bush tax cuts?  I mean serious, they are all in bed together.  Our economy is headed for a crash.  I respect you so much, but I think even you can sense that what I said is the sad truth.

That being said, i appreciate your daily wisdom

Gryphon
Dear Thom:  Can you please

Dear Thom:

Can you please explain to me how something in which i have no choice in paying because it automatically comes out of my paychecks is considered an entitlement? As a tax paying citizen i really dont mind that they take these things out of my paycheck, I do however mind that when it comes time to pay it back out that it is then considered an entitlement. If i found out that my insurance company was not going to pay out on it's claims i believe it is within my rights to sue them yet the government can require us to pay into FICA and when it becomes inconvieniant to pay out on the other end call it an entitlement or am I mistaken? maybe i just dont properly understand the correct definition of the word entitlement?

LeMoyne
LeMoyne's picture
Thom I cannot thank you

Thom I cannot thank you enough for placing a plug for MoveToAmend.org at nearly every break today just as you plugged RebuildTheDream.org yesterday.  Your exhortation to get active is more effective when it includes these specific ways to get active.  To all those who went to MoveToAmend.org when the site went down from all the traffic -- please try again 

An inside-outside game is called for here - we need to act along all available avenues - and again I thank you for covering these different avenues.  Some people will get active in moving Democratic party politics towards the people, while other people will pursue direct action against a system that is clearly corrupted.  Planned occupations of Wall Street and Freedom Square may not produce an 'American Autumn' but they will model non-violent protest against permanent war and all the other ills of corporatism.  After the imposition of austeria (austerity hysteria) inside a fake crisis, more and more people are calling for direct action, including normally mainstream politicians.  

Issue after issue, crisis after crisis and the policy solutions preferred by a solid majority of people (public option/single-payer, end the wars (Iraq/Afghanistan/Drug), tax the rich and corporations, do not cut entitlements) are hardly mentioned in the MSM and never adopted by our supposedly democratic government.  Shifting the tax burden off of regular folks' incomes and back towards corporate profits gets essentially zero play in the MSM.   Thanks for pounding these points regularly,  if not several times a day.

I repeat that we should Heed Lincoln's Warning and Restore American Democracy.  We need to get the big money out of politics and the only ways left to accomplish that feat are -- to regulate or impeach the Supreme Court, OR -- to MoveToAmend.  A Constitutional amendment to restore  democracy is needed 'to secure the blessings of liberty' - which includes democracy.  We Move To Amend the Constitution not for just ourselves, but for everyone's children and their children's children in the future.  

Please keep calling the new corporate austeria committee with three heads (GOP-DLC-TP) the Gang of 12.  You can make apologies to any progressives who will get dragged along kicking and screaming through the second act of this slow austerian waltz.  Is that a temporary special 12 member bicameral Super Committee or did they 'have to' make it a permanent committee in order to give it full powers?  Inquiring minds want to know ....

chazzg71
Thom, There has been a lot of

Thom,

There has been a lot of talk about creating an Infrastruture Bank. Would it be possible to have the Federal Reserve create this Bank - bypassing the Congress?

Or as a second choice - use monies from the SBA which have already been allocated thereby eliminating the need to pass a new bill?

Chazzg

mara star
mara star's picture
hello, I would like to tell

hello, I would like to tell you how life in the past 10yrs has been for my family,I lost my job in 2006 and my huband lost his in 2008, his factory was shut down, he went back to college got a cert in welding has been working as a welder for 1yr, and was told in this last week  there will be no work for him in 2 weeks, we have 3 children, we have no health care, we get 200. dollars, in food stamps and I am fighting to keep them, and we live pay check to pay check and what that means is we could be homeless at the drop of a dime, so with that said who in corporate america cares, who in washington cares, what lawyers are fighting our fight? There is only the super rich, and us the poor. They seem to keep breaking us DOWN !

karenjj2
karenjj2's picture
I'm worried about the

I'm worried about the Wisconsin recall election of the 2 Democrats next week -- is there a GOTV underway?

The diebold machines will decide whether they retain their seats -- remember Alvin Greene!

How can I help the 2 Democrats? What are their names!

I just visited wisdems.com and there is nothing about the recall election. Is it next week??

karenjj2

mara star
mara star's picture
mara star wrote: hello, I

mara star wrote:

hello, I would like to tell you how life in the past 10yrs has been for my family,I lost my job in 2006 and have worked odd jobs from that point and my huband lost his in 2008, his factory was shut down, he went back to college got a cert in welding has been working as a welder for 1yr, and was told in this last week  there will be no work for him in 2 weeks, we have 3 children, we have no health care, we get 200. dollars a month, in food stamps and I am fighting to keep them, and we live pay check to pay check and what that means is we could be homeless at the drop of a hat, so with that said who in corporate america cares, who in washington cares, what lawyers are fighting our fight? There is only the super rich, and us the poor. They seem to keep breaking us DOWN !

Saaheb
Saaheb's picture
I have a question for Thom. I

I have a question for Thom.

I am no economist,but lets say US to print the bills worth and pay the debt what are consequnces we are looking at.

I've heard about inflation increasing because of that etc..If you could enlightn on that.I would appreciate.

Thanks

El Relampago
For Thom and Sen.

For Thom and Sen. Sanders: 

Questions:  1.  What happened to the nuclear option for judical appointments?

2.  Why have Medcare negotiate for drugs but have a new one sentence law that Medicare canot pay more for drugs than any other governmental agency?   How much would that save the US and why can't simple laws b passed?

Thank-you

mypie
mypie's picture
Thom, with the riots that are

Thom, with the riots that are going on in the UK it has occurred to me that if the media wasn't so tainted with corporate biased the people might feel willing to have peaceful protests.  But, like in the US, when the Tea Party has a protest consisting of only 40 people and the Rebuild The Dream has a protest of 450-500 people only a week later, and the Tea Party is the only ones to get any media coverage.  Maybe violence is the only way the people in the UK feel they can bring light to their desperate plight. 

Sashenka
Sashenka's picture
I tried 3 times to post this

I tried 3 times to post this and each time I checked I could not find it, so if it later appears 3 times please forgive a first time poster;s struggle . . .

I have a question for Thom & Sen. . I understand Congress is “ in session " to prevent any recess appointments. Are they still doing that?

How can they do that when everyone is out of town? My question is can senator Saunders call for a vote on something? If they want to play the game then let's play hard ball.

Can something be brought to a vote in the Senate? Since the house is in session the Senate must also be open.  can someone bring something to a vote requiring them to get back in town and make them work for their stupid peanuts.  Well, ok, that came out funny.  Anyway,surely SOMETHING can be done.  Something has to be done?  I was counting on those recess appointments. 

Sashenka
Sashenka's picture
counting on those recess

counting on those recess appointmentrs to get some things done

dudecrush
dudecrush's picture
If corporations are people,

If corporations are people, then should they not be held to the same moral standards and potential punishment for crimes as regular US citizens?

\'Great White\'
Subject: USA Supreme

Subject: USA Supreme Court

Since, The USA Supreme Court was never supposed to make laws and veto any laws that exist, and then what is the role that The USA Supreme Court is supposed to be???

The only educated (mostly thanks to you) guess is to advise the executive (for lack of the best word; President, Vice President, courts, Governors, Mayors and etc) and legislative (congresses <Federal and within the states> and etc) branches. Maybe by telling them what is UnConstitutional and Constitutional by their understandings of what The USA Constitution says?

YMaksik
I think Judicial Review

I think Judicial Review Vital.

Dear Mr. Thom Hartmann,

While I agree that it would be beneficial to have a better method to hold the US Supreme Court more accountable to the citizens of the United State, I'm afraid that I have to disagree with you today, which is a rare occurrence, on the US Supreme Court's power of judicial review (the ability to overturn unconstitutional legislation). I'll Take an example you used on the air today, of a law being passed that would allow people of a particulare ethnicity to be picked up and imprisoned for a week without any reaon.  Let's say this law was passed and, as you said you would be in favor of, the Supreme Court got this case and simply stated that it refused to enforce this law, and let's even extend it by saying that the court could instruct all courts in the US not to enfoce this law. This would not stop police officers from picking people up at random and holding them for a week because the police could still say they were enforcing a law on the books. 

The law would still have a intimidating/chilling effect on the targeted population and the threat of non-enforcement by the courts, especially in this case of short-term detention, would provide no remedy. It doesn't make acting on the law illegal nor does it make the law itself illegal. At least striking down the law would take it out of hands of Police (and the executive branch, in general) to act on..

On a related topic, even with the power that the Supreme Court holds today, it seems that if the executive and legislative branches agree on something there is little that the court can do to stop unconstitutional behavior (for example policies of harsh interrogation/torture and rendition).  Even if it rules the behavior/laws unconstitutional, it only has the enforcement power the executive brach grants it.

Thank you!
--York

owen-fw
owen-fw's picture
Doesn't it seem fair that the

Doesn't it seem fair that the cuts to be decided by the gang of 12 should only be applied in the congressional districts where the representative went along with the Boehner plan?

oneamerican
RE: Citizen United. 

RE: Citizen United.  Corporations are People because of free speach.  Who's next? Computers? Robots?  Dogs seem to have an opinion about some people, how come they don't get a chance to voice their opinions.  Yes the can't speak but neither can corporations except through mindless mouthpieces like Lawyers and Fux News......Just a thought.

sdougreid
sdougreid's picture
Did you see the 60 Minutes

Did you see the 60 Minutes story on offshore tax havens?  I couldn't cry a tear for the "overtaxed" corporations GE and Transocean!

afterthepeak
afterthepeak's picture
Dear Thom,Often you discuss

Dear Thom,Often you discuss measures to encourage economic recovery and on this topic an increasing number of articulate authors believe it is no longer possible (I would cite Richard Heinberg, Peter Victor and Chris Martenson to name a few).If we aim for economic growth when it is no longer possible we will only be faced with frustration and accomplish the waste of resources that could be put to better use.Knowing that no politician can talk about not growing the economy and expect to be elected the issue only becomes more pressing for real media (not mainstream) to address.Could it be that instead of growing the economy we should aim towards making it more resilient and localized? If so, how might a politician ever touch the taboo of economic de-growth by design and not disaster?Keep up the good work