Political Circus with Economy

3 posts / 0 new

Praire2 says it all. Take a look at what he has to say.

http://www.prairie2.com/

rickg's picture
rickg

Comments

Speech Obama could have given about one month ago ( and that FDR probably would have):

I have been in talks with Republicans who want to link concerns about long term fiscal issues with the matter of raising the debt ceiling.

It has become apparent that not only are they adamant in regard to linking their political agenda to the necessary step of raising of the debt ceiling, but they have basically no interest in genuine discussion or reasonable compromise.

Therefore, I have ended discussions with the Republican leadership and will, if necessary, use the power vested by the fourteenth amendment to the Constitution of the United States - which ensures that the faith and credit of the United States shall be guaranteed - to raise the debt limit and maintain the fiscal prerogatives of the federal government without interruption.

It should be pointed out that the debt ceiling needs to be raised to pay back debts incurred long before I took office. During the tenure of my predecessor, our national debt increased by 4 trillion dollars - over a thousand million dollars every day for eight years.

During that time, the Republican leadership supported the deficit policies that led to the dramatic increase in the national debt - including highly questionable tax breaks for the ultra-rich which diminished revenues and exacerbated deficits. They also were happy to vote to raise the debt ceiling on seven different occasions.

Be assured that if Congress fails to act, I will. The full faith and credit of the United States is not a political football.

My hope is that congress will act, after which we can renew earnest discussions to set policies that will guarantee America’s long term fiscal stability.

Good night.

spatsizi84

FDR saved Capitalism and the fortunes of the wealthy elite (2%) . He did throw us working stiffs a few crumbs, but we'd all be better off now had the capitalist system collapsed way back then.

ymhotep's picture
ymhotep

Currently Chatting

Should public radio program in the public interest?

NPR is supposed to be our national public radio, but they're barely covering climate issues that are in the public's interest.

Only one month ago, a national New York Times/CBS News poll found that half of all Americans think that global warming is already having a serious impact. Sixty percent of those surveyed even said that protecting our environment should be a priority “even at the risk of curbing economic growth.”