Tea Party and the Second Stage of Fascism.

150 posts / 0 new

Comments

Quote Antifascist:

If she didn't know what she was voting on....well...that's normal for some in Congress. So she is a hero for being a passive target, and condemening millions of old, young, and sick to poverty is also a heroic act. Congress is full of heros and saints--that 's why people are dying by the millions.

That's a common logical fallacy employed in manufacturing consent. X is a hero, therefore whatever X does is heroic and admirable.

.ren's picture
.ren

One other option for her vote, she knows she will not be running again, and this alllows her colleagues to vote against it and protect their base. The votes against the Iraq war were often cast by members that were not running for reelection. You can vote your conscience when you don't have to be reelected, because the US society is sick, very sick. In this case she allowed her colleagues to vote their conscience, because she took the bullet.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

http://precinctproject.us/2011/04/2010-was-the-year-of-the-precinct-comm...

I’d like conservatives to make 2011 be “The Year of the Precinct Committeeman” because, if that happens, conservatives will then be in a position to elect conservatives to the leadership posts inside their Party and be in the best position to get out the vote for the best conservative candidates in the all-important, traditionally-very-low-turnout primary elections.

In other words, conservatives would engineer a reclaiming of our government.

Many claim this is a “center-right” country. If that claim is true, no reason exists preventing us from electing majorities of conservatives to the state and federal legislatures.

No reason other than we conservatives are not using our political system.

No reason other than we conservatives are not using the best political tool we have to elect good, decent people to be our public servants.

No reason other than the fact that over half of the precinct committeeman slots in either party are, on average, vacant in every local party committee across America.

Bottom line: we would greatly increase our chances of replacing the corrupt incumbents, and electing good, decent people to be our elected public servants, if we conservatives would “invade” our respective local Party monthly committee meetings and go about the task of filling up the over 50 per cent of the precinct committeemen seats that are, on average, vacant. Want proof? Read on.

Step 1: Become a “Voting Member” of the Party — Find the Rules and Follow Them

Well, 2010 was already “The Year of the Precinct Committeemen” for conservatives Arizona. First, last August, many conservatives got themselves elected to the office of precinct committeemen (”PC”) by getting qualified to appear on the primary election ballot. In Arizona, we elect precinct committeemen in the party primaries. Most precinct committeemen candidates, ran unopposed, because over two-thirds of the PC slots were unfilled. And about one-third of the precincts across Arizona had not even one precinct committeemen. When the precinct comitteemen elections are uncontested, the candidates name are left off the ballot — further contributing to the fact that most registered voters in Arizona don’t seem to know what a “precinct committeeman” is.

Step 2: Organize and Vote for the Conservative Leader Candidates Locally

Then, in November and December, the elected precinct committeemen held, in thirty legislative districts across Arizona, leadership elections, where they elected their statutory officers and nominated state committeemen. State committeemen represent the PCs at the state Party meeting where the officers are elected. Each legislative district is allowed one state committeemen for every three elected precinct committeemen. Many new conservative PCs were nominated to be state committeemen. I wrote about some of the results here.

Step 3: Elect Your County Leaders and State Delegates

Then, after the legislative district meetings, the county committees had their organizational meetings and the PCs elected their officers and, unless objections were raised as to the qualifications of a state committeeman (there were no such objections at the Maricopa County meeting, for example, which I attended), the nominees for the office of state committeeman were then deemed “elected” by the county chairman by acclimation. For example, at the Maricopa County meeting, the conservative incumbent chairman was reelected with almost 70 per cent of the vote by the PCs.

As about 70 per cent of the elected PCs reside in Maricopa County, the almost 70 per cent margin for our conservative chairman gave me a “warm and fuzzy” feeling regarding our chances of electing Bruce Ash, the conservative candidate for state chairman, at the upcoming Jan. 22 state organizational meeting, where he would face two other candidates.

Step 4: Organize and Attend Your State Meeting to Elect Conservative Leaders

But then, last Monday, Bruce Ash dropped out of the race due to medical reasons. That left the new conservative state committeemen and PCs scrambling for a “constitutional conservative” candidate like Bruce Ash. Who would have to mount a write-in campaign. Well, right after I learned the bad news about Bruce, I asked a “constitutional conservative” I knew, Tom Morrissey, to run. He said he would if no other good conservative candidate would step forward. We each made more phone calls, and by about the middle of the day on Tuesday, with no other candidate having stepped forward, Tom announced his candidacy.

So, the conservatives PCs used the telephones, e-mail, and blogs to get the word out about Tom’s candidacy. Tom went to every “candidate forum” he could find and spoke.

And a beautiful thing happened. Because we conservatives had the numbers, and had been organizing locally over the past year, and had networked with one another, and stuck together, Tom Morrissey, a constitutional conservative, is now the Arizona Republican Party Chairman.

…After a three and a half day write-in campaign…A three and a half day write-in campaign!

You can read about it here:

SeeingRedAZ.com: AZ delegation: Can you hear us now?

SonoranAlliance.com: Tom Morrissey wins Arizona Republican Party Chairman

AZCapitolTimes.com: Morrissey, Tea Party activist, to lead state GOP

I hope you’ll make 2011 “The Year of the Precinct Committeeman” in your state. To do that, follow these three steps:

First step: Call your county Party chairman or one of the other officers and ask where the local Party committee meets. Be persistent — you may have difficulty tracking them down: some don’t want any “new, conservative blood” in the Party; they like the status quo just fine. Most county committees have web sites. Some list phone numbers and e-mail addresses of the officers. If you can’t track these people down, call your state Party officers. Take action. Don’t let anyone shut you out.

Step 2: Once you know when and where your committee meets, go, along with every other conservative you know, to the meeting and find out what hoops you have to jump through to become a “voting member” of the Party. It’s called precinct committeeman in some states, ward captain in others, etc. The terminology isn’t important. What is important is being able to vote for the leadership of the Party. The requirements are not onerous.

Step 3: Then, once you get a majority of conservatives in the PC slots, you’ll be able to elect conservative Party leaders and perhaps even be in a position to endorse conservatives in those all-important, traditionally-very-low-turnout primary elections. (Your local bylaws will tell you whether you’ll have the right to do that — not all bylaws allow for that.) Regardless, you’ll be in a position to get out the vote in your precinct and elsewhere for the best conservative candidates in the primary elections — the all-important primary elections.

Xorthon's picture
Xorthon
Quote douglaslee:

One other option for her vote, she knows she will not be running again, and this alllows her colleagues to vote against it and protect their base. The votes against the Iraq war were often cast by members that were not running for reelection. You can vote your conscience when you don't have to be reelected, because the US society is sick, very sick. In this case she allowed her colleagues to vote their conscience, because she took the bullet.

Very clever, doug. Do you imagine she actually thought that out?

On another note, how did this discussion get interpreted to be a free-wheeling right wing advertisement thread? Moderators?

.ren's picture
.ren
Quote .ren:

On another note, how did this discussion get interpreted to be a free-wheeling right wing advertisement thread? Moderators?

This is about as far off topic as you can get in one single post and I have no Troll food to feed the hungry.

Dominic C
Quote Xorthon:

http://precinctproject.us/2011/04/2010-was-the-year-of-the-precinct-comm...

I’d like conservatives to make 2011 be “The Year of the Precinct Committeeman” because, if that happens, conservatives will then be in a position to elect conservatives to the leadership posts inside their Party and be in the best position to get out the vote for the best conservative candidates in the all-important, traditionally-very-low-turnout primary elections.

In other words, conservatives would engineer a reclaiming of our government.

Many claim this is a “center-right” country. If that claim is true, no reason exists preventing us from electing majorities of conservatives to the state and federal legislatures.

No reason other than we conservatives are not using our political system.

No reason other than we conservatives are not using the best political tool we have to elect good, decent people to be our public servants.

No reason other than the fact that over half of the precinct committeeman slots in either party are, on average, vacant in every local party committee across America.

Bottom line: we would greatly increase our chances of replacing the corrupt incumbents, and electing good, decent people to be our elected public servants, if we conservatives would “invade” our respective local Party monthly committee meetings and go about the task of filling up the over 50 per cent of the precinct committeemen seats that are, on average, vacant. Want proof? Read on.

Step 1: Become a “Voting Member” of the Party — Find the Rules and Follow Them

Well, 2010 was already “The Year of the Precinct Committeemen” for conservatives Arizona. First, last August, many conservatives got themselves elected to the office of precinct committeemen (”PC”) by getting qualified to appear on the primary election ballot. In Arizona, we elect precinct committeemen in the party primaries. Most precinct committeemen candidates, ran unopposed, because over two-thirds of the PC slots were unfilled. And about one-third of the precincts across Arizona had not even one precinct committeemen. When the precinct comitteemen elections are uncontested, the candidates name are left off the ballot — further contributing to the fact that most registered voters in Arizona don’t seem to know what a “precinct committeeman” is.

Step 2: Organize and Vote for the Conservative Leader Candidates Locally

Then, in November and December, the elected precinct committeemen held, in thirty legislative districts across Arizona, leadership elections, where they elected their statutory officers and nominated state committeemen. State committeemen represent the PCs at the state Party meeting where the officers are elected. Each legislative district is allowed one state committeemen for every three elected precinct committeemen. Many new conservative PCs were nominated to be state committeemen. I wrote about some of the results here.

Step 3: Elect Your County Leaders and State Delegates

Then, after the legislative district meetings, the county committees had their organizational meetings and the PCs elected their officers and, unless objections were raised as to the qualifications of a state committeeman (there were no such objections at the Maricopa County meeting, for example, which I attended), the nominees for the office of state committeeman were then deemed “elected” by the county chairman by acclimation. For example, at the Maricopa County meeting, the conservative incumbent chairman was reelected with almost 70 per cent of the vote by the PCs.

As about 70 per cent of the elected PCs reside in Maricopa County, the almost 70 per cent margin for our conservative chairman gave me a “warm and fuzzy” feeling regarding our chances of electing Bruce Ash, the conservative candidate for state chairman, at the upcoming Jan. 22 state organizational meeting, where he would face two other candidates.

Step 4: Organize and Attend Your State Meeting to Elect Conservative Leaders

But then, last Monday, Bruce Ash dropped out of the race due to medical reasons. That left the new conservative state committeemen and PCs scrambling for a “constitutional conservative” candidate like Bruce Ash. Who would have to mount a write-in campaign. Well, right after I learned the bad news about Bruce, I asked a “constitutional conservative” I knew, Tom Morrissey, to run. He said he would if no other good conservative candidate would step forward. We each made more phone calls, and by about the middle of the day on Tuesday, with no other candidate having stepped forward, Tom announced his candidacy.

So, the conservatives PCs used the telephones, e-mail, and blogs to get the word out about Tom’s candidacy. Tom went to every “candidate forum” he could find and spoke.

And a beautiful thing happened. Because we conservatives had the numbers, and had been organizing locally over the past year, and had networked with one another, and stuck together, Tom Morrissey, a constitutional conservative, is now the Arizona Republican Party Chairman.

…After a three and a half day write-in campaign…A three and a half day write-in campaign!

You can read about it here:

SeeingRedAZ.com: AZ delegation: Can you hear us now?

SonoranAlliance.com: Tom Morrissey wins Arizona Republican Party Chairman

AZCapitolTimes.com: Morrissey, Tea Party activist, to lead state GOP

I hope you’ll make 2011 “The Year of the Precinct Committeeman” in your state. To do that, follow these three steps:

First step: Call your county Party chairman or one of the other officers and ask where the local Party committee meets. Be persistent — you may have difficulty tracking them down: some don’t want any “new, conservative blood” in the Party; they like the status quo just fine. Most county committees have web sites. Some list phone numbers and e-mail addresses of the officers. If you can’t track these people down, call your state Party officers. Take action. Don’t let anyone shut you out.

Step 2: Once you know when and where your committee meets, go, along with every other conservative you know, to the meeting and find out what hoops you have to jump through to become a “voting member” of the Party. It’s called precinct committeeman in some states, ward captain in others, etc. The terminology isn’t important. What is important is being able to vote for the leadership of the Party. The requirements are not onerous.

Step 3: Then, once you get a majority of conservatives in the PC slots, you’ll be able to elect conservative Party leaders and perhaps even be in a position to endorse conservatives in those all-important, traditionally-very-low-turnout primary elections. (Your local bylaws will tell you whether you’ll have the right to do that — not all bylaws allow for that.) Regardless, you’ll be in a position to get out the vote in your precinct and elsewhere for the best conservative candidates in the primary elections — the all-important primary elections.

Quote .ren:

This is about as far off topic as you can get in one single post and I have no Troll food to feed the hungry.

Dominic C

Thanks for making that clear Dominic. You obviously knew what I meant and I knew what you meant, but just in case...

.ren's picture
.ren
Quote .ren:

Thanks for making that clear Dominic. You obviously knew what I meant and I knew what you meant, but just in case...

Ya I went back and looked at my post and thought OMFG I better fix this shit!

I almost confused myself after taking a read lol.

Hurrying is never good.

Dominic C

Ren wrote: On another note, how did this discussion get interpreted to be a free-wheeling right wing advertisement thread? Moderators?

poly replies: Aren't the recruitment methods to capture the Dem Party outlined by the conservative?

It's exactly how the wack jobs took control of the Rep. Party. and how the Blue Dogs (wolves in sheep's clothing) took control of the Dem. Party. The cheerleading drive shows that they haven't slacked up.

It begins at the precinct level. If those considering themselves progressive don't want to do what the crazies and neo-cons have done, (capture a party) then things will keep turning for the worse until its irreversible.. Time is probably short.

It has to begin at the precinct level. They need the power to nominate candidates.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"..

polycarp2
Quote polycarp:

Ren wrote: On another note, how did this discussion get interpreted to be a free-wheeling right wing advertisement thread? Moderators?

poly replies: Aren't the recruitment methods to capture the Dem Party outlined by the conservative?

It's exactly how the wack jobs took control of the Rep. Party. and how the Blue Dogs (wolves in sheep's clothing) took control of the Dem. Party. The cheerleading drive shows that they haven't slacked up.

It begins at the precinct level. If those considering themselves progressive don't want to do what the crazies and neo-cons have done, (capture a party) then things will keep turning for the worse until its irreversible.. Time is probably short.

It has to begin at the precinct level. They need the power to nominate candidates.

What does that have to do with my question?

Anyway, they didn't capture the Republican party, they took it hostage. You can't take a party hostage unless you willing to take the nation down. Nobody needs to actually do that when it's happening on its own.

I still merely want to know what that Republican advertisement is doing on this thread. It's out of context with no attempt to justify it per this discussion about some possible structural stage of fascism.

.ren's picture
.ren

Deleting the message would delete every post that followed. It's a software thing. Tea Partiers and neo-cons are nominating Republican candidates. I don't see those on the left making nominations within the Dem Party, Choice in the Democratic Party primaries, ..like national elections.., is often imited to voting for the lesser of two evils.

Unless that is changed, there is no political solution at the ballot box..The decent into full-blown fascism will remain on course. I'm not very hopeful at this point..

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"...

polycarp2
Quote polycarp:

Deleting the message would delete every post that followed. It's a software thing. Tea Partiers and neo-cons are nominating Republican candidates. I don't see those on the left making nominations within the Dem Party, Choice in the Democratic Party primaries, ..like national elections.., is often imited to voting for the lesser of two evils.

Unless that is changed, there is no political solution at the ballot box.. The decent into full-blown fascism will remain on course. I'm not very hopeful at this point..

The posts that follow it are merely pointing to it's pointless existence. Nothing would be lost by deleting them.

My read on things is we are long past a political solution at the ballot box, but to fully explain it would take me a couple of books. The people "on the left" as I think of it are interested in a range of solutions that generally won't wash with the standard propagandized notion of what it means to be a successful participant in the infinite growth economic atmosphere that is now the primary driver of modern day politics. Most people have set up their lives and therefore their identities as human beings to fit into that economy. The DLC and others in the traditional Democratic Party we have today are still into being part of the status quo; the "middle class" they are so desperate to maintain is that status quo, that's how middle class is measured. That is so simply and obviously because to be otherwise involves a radical new outlook on who most people believe themselves to be. Only a small minority are willing to re-envision themselves into a new mold like, for instance, the David Korten localized community model where economics is not the driving force, community relations and concerns for a sustainable relationship with the planet put economics in conscious living relationship to other things, not as the primary reason to exist.

Whereas, the Tea Partiers are not even conscious of the monumental problems we face, all that's been blipped out of their mind by the mass media that programs them. Instead they are merely an extremist version of the status quo, that is, homo economicus in the extreme with a little Christian fundamentalism tossed in for salad dressing. Thus, unlike those of us on the left who are looking at the reality of the world headed towards a perfect storm disaster that's been created by this out-of-control, infinite growth economic model with the notion that something very radical has to take place, and soon, the Tea Partiers can in fact fit into the Republican Party, continue to communicate in the predominate propaganda model language, and potentially grow and make the Party even stupider and more extreme than it's become since Reagan.

So that's the very abbreviated version of why I wouldn't look to a corresponding radical version of the Tea Partiers taking up a significant role in the Democratic Party. But, hey, that's just my opinion. And who am I?

.ren's picture
.ren

.ren, I would like to ask your opinion on some stuff,

my life within the past two months has had some severe ups and downs, but it would take quite a lot to explain it. These factors have combined with a sudden loss of my political identity, amongst other things. I don't know what I am: not conservative, liberal, republican, democrat, socialist, libertarian, green, yellow, purple, or blue. I am trying to reorganize my life priorities because I have hit an existential crisis. I have abandoned identity and priority, I am just trying to decide what I believe anymore. I almost feel sick about it... my heart is beating very fast and I have a strong adrenaline rush. Suggestions?

micahjr34

Get in touch with our very real natural world. I do a lot of walking in the nature around my home. A whole new form of therapy has arisen from that perspective, it's called "ecopsychology." You can do some searches and you'll come up with sources. It's what I've always considered existentialism in a pure form. I taught an early and now significant element of it when I was involved in working with some troubled gang kids and we put them through outward bound type training, which also involved survival training in Northern Minnesota in the late 70's. The ability to be in nature and develop the confidence that one can survive is a very potentially life transforming experience for some people.

In correlation with that, some people have found Ekhard Tolle's philosophy: The Power of Now to be helpful. He went through an extreme existential crisis of his own, and while in it developed his philosophy as his way through it.

Sometimes I'll pick up Pema Chodron's The Wisdom of No Escape; Start Where You Are When Things Fall Apart when I'm feeling particularly down about things.

.ren's picture
.ren

Sorry to bug you with that, .ren.

I have had multiple deaths in my very close family and it was depressing me bad. I took a nap and I feel better. Also, I will take up some of your advice. Man, when grief hits you, it really messes you up...

micahjr34

Both Parties are run by the New World Order and their arms, the Trilateral Commission, the CFR, & the Bilderberg Group, etc.

It is just ashame Americans are too unwilling to vote for 3rd parties.

Lon-Paul's picture
Lon-Paul

Lon Paul,

You have a point. When I vote in the next election, I will be voting "nonpartisan." I will vote for the candidates and the issues strictly, not for the party line.

micahjr34
Quote Lon-Paul:

Both Parties are run by the New World Order and their arms, the Trilateral Commission, the CFR, & the Bilderberg Group, etc.

It is just ashame Americans are too unwilling to vote for 3rd parties.

I don't know if "run" is the correct word. Anyway, I think it's an unnecessary point. Influenced, yes. But I'd argue that the system in place is quite adequate as a form of inverted corporate totalitarianism without the claim that some New World Order is in place running things. As one example of "influence", Zbigniew Brzezinski co-founded the Trilateral Commission with David Rockefeller, and after serving as its director from 1973 to 1976 he became Jimmy Carter's National Security Adviser. Among other Carter geopolitical maneuvers, Brzezinski is credited with formulating the Carter Doctrine which remains our Imperialist Middle East geopolitical doctrinal strategy to this day. Brzezinski was also an early adviser for Obama's run for the presidency, just to give some sense of the kinds of influence I personally was pointing out in a cautionary manner during his bid for the Presidency.

People are unfortunately guided by mass media, and the mass media has a number of filters in place to assure that the corporations that want markets for their products or services selectively guide the programming. Anyone with a lick of sense can see how the advertising process can guide programming now that it has become commonplace. Profits for the multinationals that own and control these media are related to advertising and the consumers they can bring to advertisers. To pretend that the process is somehow guided by viewer/reader/listener choice leaves me folded up floor in laughter, but that's a common right wing response to why Rush Limbaugh and the like are more popular than liberal or populist commentators, which of course in their addled homo economicus brains is supposed to translate into some kind of proof of democratic choice.

The world all too many people imagine is presented to them in this heavily distorted media form. The chances of the majority of the population getting outside that to begin to listen to something like a third party position are slim to none. So yes, it's too bad, but there is little chance without changing to a different sort of elective system, like instant runoff, where Americans would even begin to have the freedom to take a chance on something they get to know little about, like a third party candidate.

.ren's picture
.ren
Quote micahjr34:

.ren, I would like to ask your opinion on some stuff,

my life within the past two months has had some severe ups and downs, but it would take quite a lot to explain it. These factors have combined with a sudden loss of my political identity, amongst other things. I don't know what I am: not conservative, liberal, republican, democrat, socialist, libertarian, green, yellow, purple, or blue. I am trying to reorganize my life priorities because I have hit an existential crisis. I have abandoned identity and priority, I am just trying to decide what I believe anymore. I almost feel sick about it... my heart is beating very fast and I have a strong adrenaline rush. Suggestions?.

Ren replied: Get in touch with our very real natural world

poly replies: Ditto. If you want to learn what life truely is, just watch a mother dog with her puppies, a deer grazing on grass or a rabbit building its burrow..

We aren't really whole lot different than that. except for the superflous stuff we add on top of it. We put the kid in day care so we can run off and buy their food and work for years so we can pay a 30 mortgage.rather than building a simple adequate dwelling with a couple of weeks labor. The only creature inclined towards ldiocy :

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - Thoreau

Probably spending the better part of one's life working for an ever larger house so one can finally die in a solitary rented room in a hospital, in a very small uncomfortable bed is rather stupid. Take a vacation from that sort of thing with a trip to the woods.It can breed clarity. Time wasted in acquistion ...the foundation stone of American society, economically, politically, structurally...leaves no room for living.

Human beings are the only species devoting years of their lives to studying the proper attire...with the consensus changing annually.A study of the absurd.

In observing the natural world, you'll find that you really are self-sufficient and able to survive in it when you gain knowledge about it. ..just like any other mammal. When its a stranger to you, you can't see that.. Life is pleasantly simple when you don't complicate it.

You might consider reading Thoreau. Classic American Literature.than can open a crack in the door. between what is real...the natural world, and what isn't real...the plastic one..You're a biologicial being, not a plastic one.

Retired Monk - Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Will do, Polycarp.

micahjr34

The best thing to do is vote 3rd parties on the local and state levels. This way at least you have some parties that will stand up to the 2 Globalist parties on the Federal level.

If not on the ballot begin the ballot drive now. Some parties that have gained traction in the past few years. The Libertarian Party, the Green Party, Constitituion Party, Reform Party etc.

At this point just pick a favorite and get them ballot access before there's a massive power grab on the Federal level.

Resistance is victory.

Lon-Paul's picture
Lon-Paul

Ironically...and I fiqured this out prior to making the move to Norway...what with the rise of the right wing world wide and the corporate neoliberal policies of the US/Global corporatocracy always a heartbeat away...I'm doing much the same in Norway as I did in the US...and that is in becoming as self sufficient as possible.

norske's picture
norske

There's no escaping it...

You have to fight just as much in Europe as we do in America.

They want their slave grid in place and will implode economies to do it.

They are trying to chip the youth so as to make video gaming easier, but it'll plug into their grid system.

Lon-Paul's picture
Lon-Paul

"You have to fight just as much in Europe as we do in America." Lon

Not quite...not yet. The collective conciousness is much different. There are a relatively few sociopathic right wingers here as compared to the US...and when revealed shunning is quite effective.

It's amazing how much disproportionate power a few sociopaths can establish over so many.

norske's picture
norske

The day I learned of the Tea Party I knew that the elements of fascism were at work. It's logical direction had to be to give itself a patriotic name and infiltrate our government. Well. . . they're here!

hodenkat's picture
hodenkat

.ren, Polycarp2,

Thank you for your advice. Normally I do go for hikes, but I haven't done so in a while. I go one tomorrow. Because of the multiple and recent deaths in my close family, it has hit me all of a sudden. To make this relevant, I have seriously begun to question my politics, amongst other things. I have been brought to the fact that someday I will be on my own death bed, and I want to say to myself that I tried to be honest about things and that I tried to fight for the truth, that I have to be honest with my self.

I mean, take all the people in Germany who knew about what was going on in the death camps, and what they thought on their own death bed. Can imagine being on your deathbed, knowing that you participated at least indirectly in the holocaust by knowing even a little and doing nothing? The deaths in my family have made me realize that when I die, I want to be able to say to myself that when I knew about something, I did something about it.

I know that this not the thread topic, but I just would like to say to everyone, don't wait till you have people in your family die, to realize that someday you will be on your death bed, and that you might be confronted with the knowledge of what you did or did not do... politically speaking or otherwise.

micahjr34

Sorry to hear about your troubles, micah. I have confidence you'll do OK. I've been through family and friend's deaths and it's an eye opener every time. I think it's supposed to be that way for any normally intelligent, sensitive person.

Lon-Paul. I haven't voted for a Democrat in many years. I'm not sure I ever voted for a Republican, can't remember doing so. I threw a baseball bat through Nixon's lying face on the last television I owned, which was shortly after returning from 'Nam. I was probably a little PTSD at the time. Since then I've come to understand the system better, and not place so much blame on individuals. My way of "rebelling" sounds a lot like Norske's except I've located in a peripheral community here in the U.S. instead of Norway.

In general my philosophy for rebellion is stay informed, listen to people. Talk to people when they are ready to listen, don't bother if they aren't. Be calm and rational. Most people are able to understand a lot more than they can say, that includes me. If you can be factual and know with some depth what you are talking about, and you show respect, most people will listen. They may walk away unchanged, but you never know when good information will click in their minds. It might be later. The world is a murky and complicated place and a lot of people realize that, they just try to protect themselves by pretending to know.

.ren's picture
.ren

Marx's analysis based on Hegelian dialectical reasoning combined with a dynamic theory of history was right all along and even explains today's misleading headlines that re-direct attention away from the Chicago Boys School of Economic Failure that has landed on every nation which allowed this plague from America to impoverish them.

Marx, Labor's Dwindling Share of the Economy and the Crisis of Advanced Capitalism (August 31, 2011)
Of Two Minds by Charles Hugh Smith

All attempts to reform the Status Quo of advanced finance-based Capitalism will fail, as its historically inevitable crisis is finally at hand.

It is self-evident that conventional economics has failed, completely, utterly and totally.The two competing cargo cults of tax cuts/trickle-down and borrow-and-spend stimulus coupled with monetary manipulation have failed to restore advanced Capitalism's vigor, not just in America, but everywhere.

Conventional econometrics is clueless about the root causes of advanced finance-based Capitalism's ills.To really understand what's going on beneath the surface, we must return to "discredited" non-quant models of economics: for example, Marx's critique of monopoly/cartel, finance-dominated advanced Capitalism. ("Capitalism" is capitalized here to distinguish it from "primitive capitalism.")

All those fancy equation-based econometrics that supposedly model human behavior have failed because they are fundamentally and purposefully superficial: they are incapable of understanding deeper dynamics that don't fit the ruling political-economy conventions.

Marx predicted a crisis of advanced Capitalism based on the rising imbalance of capital and labor in finance-dominated Capitalism.The basic Marxist context is history, not morality, and so the Marxist critique is light on blaming the rich for Capitalism's core ills and heavy on the inevitability of larger historic forces.

In other words, what's wrong with advanced Capitalism cannot be fixed by taxing the super-wealthy at the same rate we self-employed pay (40% basic Federal rate), though that would certainly be a fair and just step in the right direction. Advanced Capitalism's ills run much deeper than superficial "class warfare" models in which the "solution" is to redistribute wealth from the top down the pyramid.

This redistributive "socialist" flavor of advanced Capitalism has bought time--the crisis of the 1930s was staved off for 70 years--but now redistribution as a saving strategy has reached its limits.

The other political-economic strategy that has been used to stave off the crisis is consumer credit:as labor's share of the economy shrank, the middle class workforce was given massive quantities of credit, based on their earnings and on the equity of the family home.

The credit model of boosting consumption has also run its course,though the Keynesian cargo cult is still busily painting radio dials on rocks and hectoring the Economic Gods to unleash their magic "animal spirits."

The third strategy to stave off advanced Capitalism's crisis was to greatly expand the workforce to compensate for labor's dwindling share of the economy.Simply put, Mom, Aunty and Sis entered the workforce en masse in the 1970s, and their earning power boosted household income enough to maintain consumption.

That gambit has run out of steam as the labor force is now shrinking for structural reasons. Though the system is eager to put Grandpa to work as a Wal-Mart greeter and Grandma to work as a retail clerk, the total number of jobs is declining, and so older workers are simply displacing younger workers. The gambit of expanding the workforce to keep finance-based Capitalism going has entered the final end-game. Moving the pawns of tax rates and fiscal stimulus around may be distracting, but neither will fix advanced finance-based Capitalism's basic ills.

The fourth and final strategy was to exploit speculation's ability to create phantom wealth.By unleashing the dogs of speculation via a vast expansion of credit, leverage and proxies for actual capital, i.e. derivatives, advanced finance-based Capitalism enabled the expansion of serial speculative bubbles, each of whcih created the illusion of systemically rising wealth, and each of which led to a rise in consumption as the "winners" in the speculative game spent some of their gains.

This strategy has also run its course, as the public at last grasps that bubbles must burst and the aftermath damages everyone, not just those who gambled and lost.

Two other essential conditions have also peaked: cheap energy and globalization, which opened vast new markets for both cheap labor and new consumption. As inflation explodes in China and its speculative credit-based bubbles burst, and as oil exporters increasingly consume their resources domestically, those drivers are now reversing.

Advanced Capitalism is broken for reasons conventional economics cannot dare recognize, because it would spell the end of its intellectual dominance and the end of the entire post-war political-economic paradigm that feeds it.

Let's look at some charts to see what conventional economists must deny to keep their jobs. See original link to see astounding graphs.

Take a look at this chart. What reality does it reflect? A failure to cut taxes enough? A failure to print enough money or extend enough credit? No. What it reflects is labor's dwindling share of the economy.

The structural reality is that employment is declining:

Meanwhile, after-tax corporate profits have steadily climbed to nearly 10% of the entire national income:

Note the recent rise of finance-based profits:

This chart leaves no doubt that the engines of the past 30 years "growth" and "prosperity" have been credit and credit-fueled speculation:

If we look at disposable income, we find that direct government transfers have masked the systemic erosion of labor's earnings and employment:

By at least some measures, the top 1% are paying a greater share of total taxes than they were 20 years ago, which suggests that "tax the rich will solve everything" stopgaps have limited purchase on the deeper structural ills of advanced finance-based Capitalism.

Marx identified two critical drivers of advanced Capitalism's final crisis:

1. Global Capital has the means and incentive to keep labor in surplus and capital scarce, which means that capital has pricing power and labor has none. The inevitable result of this is that wages, as measured in purchasing power, fall while the returns earned on capital rise.

This establishes a self-reinforcing, inevitably destructive dynamic:once labor's share of the national income falls below a critical threshold, labor can no longer consume enough or borrow enough to keep the economy afloat with its cash and credit-based consumption.

We are at that point, but massive Federal borrowing and transfers are masking that reality for the time being.

2. The dual forces of competition and technology inevitably drive down the labor component of all manufactured goods and technology-based services. Mechanization, robotics and software have lowered the labor component of everything from running shoes to computer chips from $20 per item to $2 per item, and that process cannot be reversed. While the wage paid to the workforce designing and manufacturing the products and providing the services may actually rise, the slice of revenues given over to all labor continues shrinking.

This is what I have constantly referred to (using Jeremy Rifkin's excellent phrase) as "the end of work."

Put another way: the return on capital invested in techology greatly exceeds the return on labor. Industries and enterprises which fail to leverage capital invested in technology that lowers the labor component of their good/service eventually undergo rapid and inevitable creative destruction.

We are about to witness this creative destruction in the labor-heavy industries of government, education and healthcare.

Marx's genius was to recognize the historical inevitability of these internal forces within advanced Capitalism.He also recognized the inevitability of finance-capital's dominance of industrial capital--something we have witnessed in full flower over the past 30 years.

Finance capital now dominates not just industrial capital but the machinery of governance, rendering real reform impossible. Instead, the Status Quo delivers up simulacrum "reform" which change nothing but the packaging of the Central State/Cartel Capitalism's exploitation and predation.

Add all this up and you have to conclude the final crisis of finance-based advanced Capitalism is finally at hand. All the "fixes" that extended its run over the past 70 years have run their course. Life will go on, of course, after the Status Quo devolves, and in my view, ridding the globe of financial predation and parasitism will be a positive step forward.

The real solution is to understand advanced finance-based global Capitalism will unravel as a result of the internal dynamics described above, and be replaced with an economic and political Localism that I describe in my new book An Unconventional Guide to Investing in Troubled Times.I don't claim these ideas are unique to me; many others have described the same dynamics and historical trends.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Ironically I've never actually read any of Marx's extensive works as a whole. Every time I've sat down to do so, I've discovered I'm already familiar with the principles he introduces and I'm usually pressed for time. But I'd still like to, just as a historical exercise.

Charles Smith referenced Jeremy Rifkin's The End of Work. I got that book as part of a pledge to one of Pacifica radio KPFA's fundraisers in 1995. His theory fit my own critique of Clinton's NAFTA and GATT agreements, so I enjoyed reading his other speculations about how all this might transpire. And I would have to acknowledge that Marx's structural technique of analyzing the outcome of advanced Capitalism (the one with the capital 'C') played a role in my thinking, even though as I say, I've never read his works en toto. Basically you cannot have studied structural anthropology without getting exposed to it. Not everyone exposed likes it. But I find it to be insightful. The notion of paradigms we've discussed at lengths elsewhere also owes allegiance to Marx. I feel one must parenthetically note here, for the occasional knee jerk reader, that this issue has nothing to do with a Marx-ism that most correlate with the communism associated with the Soviet Union, which is more a derivative of a kind of positivist ideology rather than a genuine dialectical structural analysis of systems and history. Marx himself is said to have disclaimed any credit for at least that particular version's creation, but I wasn't there to hear him say it.

Rifkin's work was heavily criticized by the status quo economists and sociologists at the time, and their criticism follows along the lines outlined in Charles Smith's essay. Here's one I think that fits that line of criticism, and I'll just preface it by saying the guy is not out of the Chicago School:

Autonomist political philosopher George Caffentzis concluded that Rifink's argument is flawed because it is based on a technological determinism that does not take into account the dynamics of employment and technological change in the capitalist era.[2]

Now what the heck is an autonomist political philosopher? I followed the link to: Autonomism. Interestingly it relates to Marx-ism.

Unlike other forms of Marxism, autonomist Marxism emphasises the ability of the working class to force changes to the organization of the capitalist system independent of the state, trade unions or political parties. Autonomists are less concerned with party political organization than are other Marxists, focusing instead on self-organized action outside of traditional organizational structures. Autonomist Marxism is thus a "bottom-up" theory: it draws attention to activities that autonomists see as everyday working-class resistance to capitalism, for example absenteeism, slow working, and socialization in the workplace.

Like other Marxists, autonomists see class struggle as being of central importance. However, autonomists have a broader definition of the working class than do other Marxists: as well as wage-earning workers (both white collar and blue collar), autonomists also include in this category the unwaged (students, the unemployed, homemakers, etc.), who are traditionally deprived of any form of union representation.

Early theorists (such as Mario Tronti, Antonio Negri, Sergio Bologna, and Paolo Virno) developed notions of "immaterial" and "social labour" that extended the Marxist concept of labour to all society. They suggested that modern society's wealth was produced by unaccountable collective work, and that only a little of this was redistributed to the workers in the form of wages. Other Italian autonomists—particularly feminists, such as Mariarosa Dalla Costa and Silvia Federici—emphasised the importance of feminism and the value of unpaid female labour to capitalist society.

Obviously it's not a variation on the Virtue of Selfishness theme one might anticipate from the term. But it appears that the autonomists aren't too interested in the total catastrophic decline Marx predicted. They are still kind of in the middle ground where some notion of dialectical negotiation can somehow keep the system going. The idea that fascism presented a governing interlocutor between Capitalist and labor forces might have fit their ideas. I'm not interested enough to find out at this point. Autonomism I think might describe the rebellious actions of the Sixties, mostly directed against the international adventure affectionately called the Vietnam War. I think it is this sort of autonomism that Hedges calls our last ditch effort to deal with our failing political system, which of course could also be tied into this article's thesis on the inevitable decline of advanced Capitalism predicted by Marx. Maybe it's all just a puppet show.

.ren's picture
.ren

I concur that history is full of examples of how economic/political/social situations happen over and over again of nations being born, growing, acquiring, declining, and then dying, in which new nations are then born. However, the Libertarian response begining in the earliest parts of the last century would care more about "how" changes occur, not "what" changes occur. I am not a Libertarian because I acknowledge that throughout history, both ancient and modern, workers are treated like trash in the form of fraudulently low wages and insufficient safety precautions on the job. "If you don't want to work here because of the low pay and the poor safety, then quit! There lots of desperate people out there who would be more than happy to be a wage slave if you are not!"

However, what I find ironic is that in the process of protesting "Big Government" and fighting against so-called "marxism," people are literally handing over power to BIG BUSINESS(!!) the power to treat people as wage slaves. The Tea Party is so concerned about ending regulations in business that they forget that regulations are what are necessary to keep workers from coming home with a fraudulent pay check and with body parts ripped off because the business knows that everytime someone is hurt or killed, there is a desperate person waiting in line for the same thing to happen to them! We as a nation are quickly going from a "workers rights" nation to a "wage slave" nation, and I hope that as people see the horrible consequences of that, the pendulum of history will go back towards "workers rights" again!

micahjr34

In the spirit of being fair to history though, especially modern history, I do concede that as nations change, grow, and die, that it is possible for concepts such as "Marxism" and "Socialism" to be used in ways that are downright orwellian. Some things that come to my mind from what I have heard here and elsewhere are the tragic Jim Jones "People's Church" suicide incident and the horrifying incidents involving the Khmer Rouge led by Pol Pot. I guess that even the concept of "to everyone according to their need, to everyone to their ability" can be perverted and used malevolently.

micahjr34
uhhh...I have to say, of all of the paranoid items listed, this one is the most humorous. What are "femicals" and why would men be driven gay by them? Did the NWO hit San Francisco first?

Femicals are chemicals that make women hyper-effeminate and men girly.

There are many plastics in use on purpose because they release estrogen like hormones which turn women hyper-effeminate and some men gay. The NWO has gotten better at it since the days of the NAZIs, when members in the NAZI party would try to pacify Hitler by putting estrogen in his salad dressing. It failed cuz if the body detects a hormone it goes into reactionary mode and starts balancing the rest of the hormones to counter act it. This is why modern testosterone shots fail to get it up for most men. Now a days the NWO gets the plastics to come close to mimicing estrogens so this way the feminizing can go forward and the body won't go into reaction mode as if it were genuine estrogen being injected.

Ever notice little girls getting their periods at 9 and 10 years old ??

Ever notice how near all the beauty meccas in NY & California there's a high homo-sexual population ?

When was the last time you ever saw a straight male hair dresser ?

Think about it.

Lon-Paul's picture
Lon-Paul

Just look at TV over the last 20 years ?

Remember how there used to be a lot more show with gun fights and car chases ?

Now it's all Must She TV....

Lon-Paul's picture
Lon-Paul

Even with what I have posted here, I do not consider "fascist" Conservatives to be an enemy. I also do not consider "marxist" Liberals to be an enemy. My enemies are ideas, paradigms, and intellectual constructs. I am just as willing to let a "marxist" sit at my table just as much as a "fascist." When people are my enemy, I feel like hurting them. This does nothing to fight against their ideas or to fight in favor of my ideas. Even though I dislike "fascist conservativism," as above I have acknowledged that "socialism" can also be abusive towards people. My enemies are ideas, not people, or at least that is what I aim for...

Peace, To Everyone!

micahjr34

Then there is the fluoride the NWO is adding to the water to dumb America down...

Case(s) & Point(s):

They walk among us.

Hi All,
Got an email sent to me today, one of those funny comments made by people.
Thought you'd all like it. The last one is really funny then again NO it's not!!!
It says it real, can someone confirm this please???

NEW YORK - resident Kathy Evans brought humiliation to her friends and family
when she set a new standard for stupidity with her appearance
on the popular TV show, 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.'

Evans, a 32-year-old wife and mother of two, got stuck on the first question
and proceeded to make what fans of the show are dubbing 'the absolute worst use
of lifelines ever.' After being introduced to the show's host
Meredith Vieira, Evans was posed with a typically easy initial $100 question.

The question was: 'Which of the following is the largest?'

A) A Peanut
B) An Elephant
C) The Moon
D) A Car
Immediately Mrs. Evans was struck with an all consuming panic as she did not
readily know the answer. 'Hmm, oh boy, that's a toughie,' said Evans,
as Vieira did her level best to hide her disbelief.
'I mean, I'm sure I've heard of some of these things before,
but I have no idea how large they would be.'

Evans made the decision to use the first of her three lifelines, the 50/50..
Answers A and D were removed, leaving her to decide which was
bigger, an elephant or the moon. However, faced with an incredibly
easy question, Evans still remained unsure.

'Oh! It removed the two I was leaning towards!' exclaimed Evans...
'Darn. I think I better phone a friend.'
Mrs. Evans asked to be connected with her friend
Betsy, who is an office assistant.

'Hi Betsy! How are you? This is Kathy! I'm on TV!' said Evans,
wasting the first seven seconds of her call.
'Ok, I got an important question. Which of the following is the largest?
B, an elephant, or C, the moon. 15 seconds hun.'
Betsy quickly replied that the answer was C, the moon.
Evans proceeded to argue with her friend for the remaining ten seconds.
'Betsy, are you sure?' said Evans. 'How sure are you? Duh, that can't be it.'

To everyone's astonishment, the moronic Evans declined to take her friend's
advice. 'I just don't know if I can trust Betsy. She's not all that bright.
So I think I'd like to ask the audience,' said Evans.

Asked to vote on the correct answer, the audience returned 98% in favor of
answer C, 'The Moon.' Having used up all her lifelines,

Evans then made the dumbest choice of her life.
'Wow, seems like everybody is against what I'm thinking,' said the
too-stupid-to-live Evans. 'But you know, sometimes you just got to go with
your gut. So, let's see... I'm going to have to go with B, an elephant. Final answer.'

Evans sat before the dumbfounded audience, the only one waiting with bated breath -
and was told that she was wrong, and that the answer was in fact, C, 'The Moon.'
Caution...they walk among us!
--------------------------------------------
Some guy bought a new fridge for his house.
To get rid of his old fridge, he put it in his front yard and hung a
sign on it saying: 'Free to good home. You want it, you take it.'
For three days the fridge sat there without anyone looking twice.
He eventually decided that people were too mistru****l of this deal.
So he changed the sign to read: 'Fridge for sale $50.'

The next day someone stole it!

They walk amongst us!
-------------------------------------
I stopped at Mc Donalds and ordered some fries.
The girl behind the counter said would you like some fries with that?
-------------------------------------
One day I was walking down the beach with
some friends when someone shouted....
'Look at that dead bird!'
Someone looked up at the sky and said...'where?'

They walk among us!

----------------------------------------------------------

While looking at a house, my brother asked the
estate agent which direction was north because
he didn't want the sun waking him up every morning.
She asked, 'Does the sun rise in the north?'
My brother explained that the sun rises in the east
and has for sometime. She shook her head and said,
'Oh, I don't keep up with all that stuff......'

They Walk Among Us!

My colleague and I were eating our lunch in our cafeteria,
when we overheard an admin girl talking about the
sunburn she got on her weekend drive to the beach.
She drove down in a convertible, but said
she 'didn't think she'd get sunburned
because the car was moving'..

They Walk Among Us!
------------------------------------

My sister has a lifesaving tool in her car
which is designed to cut through a seat belt
if she gets trapped. She keeps it in the car trunk.

They Walk Among Us!

-------------------------------------------------
I was going out with a friend when we saw a woman with a nose ring attached to an earring by a chain.
My friend said, 'Ouch! The chain must rip
out every time she turns her head!"
I had to explain that a person's nose and ear
remain the same distance apart no
matter which way the head is turned...

They Walk Among Us !
-------------------------------
I couldn't find my luggage at the airport baggage area and went to the lost luggage office and reported the loss.
The woman there smiled and told me not to worry
because she was a trained professional and
said I was in good hands. 'Now,' she asked me,
'Has your plane arrived yet?'.....
(I work with professionals like this.)

They Walk Among Us!
------------------------------------------------
While working at a pizza parlor I observed a man
ordering a small pizza to go. He appeared to be alone and the cook asked him if he would like it cut
into 4 pieces or 6. He thought about it for some time
then said 'Just cut it into 4 pieces; I don't think I'm hungry
enough to eat 6 pieces.

They Walk Among Us!
And last, but not least:
Dumb as a box of Rocks
A VERY GOOD EXAMPLE OF THE KIND OF REPRESENTATION WE HAVE IN CONGRESS, TRUE STORY:

A noted psychiatrist was a guest speaker at an academic function where Nancy Pelosi happened to appear. Ms Pelosi took the opportunity to schmooze the good doctor a bit and asked him a question with which he was most at ease.

'Would you mind telling me, Doctor,' she asked, 'how you detect a mental deficiency in somebody who appears completely normal?'

'Nothing is easier,' he replied. 'You ask a simple question which anyone should answer with no trouble. If the person hesitates, that puts you on the track..'

'What sort of question?' asked Pelosi.

Well, you might ask, 'Captain Cook made three trips around the world and died during one of them. Which one?''

Pelosi thought a moment, and then said with a nervous laugh, 'You wouldn't happen to have another example would you? I must confess I don't know much about history.'

Lon-Paul's picture
Lon-Paul

Is there any evidence to back the Pelosi bit? Even were it true, however, the question is the kind of puzzler often used to get us to rush to an answer instead of really thinking about what is being said. I think we can all get caught by stuff like this in certain situations, so at best it humanizes rather than insults Pelosi. But that is not the purpose of the Rightwing meme.

Why it gets included in an otherwise amusing list of human foibles and Darwin material eludes me. If the point is to force us to recognize that rationality does not rule the world or everyday life, well and good. The problem is less that the walk among us than that they get control of the levers of power. And in that hit parade, the Looney Tunes on the Right have no balance at all from the Left.

These dingbats are not failing to catch a subtlety. This is not about realizing a few moments later that of course Cook died on his Third and Last trip. Slap your forehead and laugh at the fact that it happens to all of us. No, when you get to Michelle De Loon and Mad Cowboy Disease Rick, you get stuff said that is much stupider and deeply intentional. These are seriously deluded people with sociopathic intentions. If they believe their own crazy talk it does not make them less dangerous than if they are cynical liars using advertising techniques and researched messaging to manage our consent.

Then there is the GOPimp Congress. So many idiots and nut cases to choose from. Cantor is either the least patriotic guy in the room or the dumbest student of economics ever. Or both.

DRC's picture
DRC

An alarmed former United States military official, Col. Lawrence Wilkerson, is trying to tell us something.

Wilkerson: We talked about Cheney’s people like the ‘Nazis’

Posted on 08.31.11 By Stephen C. Webster

In an interview with Russia Today’s Alyona Minkovski on Tuesday night, Col. Lawrence Wilkerson continued his barrage against former Vice President Dick Cheney, who’s been a prominent face in the media lately thanks to his newly published book, "In My Time."

Wilkerson, formerly chief of staff to Sec. of State Colin Powell during President George W. Bush’s first term, has been outspoken in recent days in his criticism of Cheney, going so far as to tell Democracy Now that he would be prepared to testify, if only someone would "Pinochet" the former vice president.

Speaking to Alyona, Wilkerson revealed that internal discussions within Powell’s office often regarded Cheney and his men the "Nazis" or "Gestappo" within the Bush administration.

"It often went like this: Those Nazis in Vice President Cheney’s office; the Gestapo in Vice President Cheney’s office. That’s kinda the way, by 2003 and 2004, we’d come to look at Scooter Libby and David Addington, including the vice president himself, in that office."

He also criticized President Barack Obama for failing to pursue charges against Cheney and other Bush-era officials, suggesting that Cheney has repeatedly and openly admitted to "war crimes," indicating that he fears a potential prosecution.

This video is from Russia Today, broadcast Aug. 29, 2011.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Gadhafi doesn't know how to torture people?

CIA Reportedly Worked Closely With Gaddafi Intelligence Services

By Ben Hubbard -- The Associated Press

TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) - The CIA worked closely with Moammar Gadhafi's intelligence services in the rendition of terror suspects to Libya for interrogation, according to documents seen Saturday by the AP, cooperation that could spark tensions between Washington and Libya's new rulers.

The CIA was among a number of foreign intelligence services that worked with Libya's agencies, according to documents found at a Libyan security agency building in Tripoli.

The discovery came as the Libyan rebels said they would surround pro-Gadhafi cities until the Sept. 10 deadline for their surrender.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Even out of office the Bush/Cheney Mafia is in power.

Bush Official And Bechtel VP Who Normalized Relations With Qaddafi Plotted With Dictator To Undermine RebelsBy Zaid Jilani on Aug 31, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Today, Al Jazeera reports on an explosive new story that finds that the very same Bush official who spearheaded normalizing relations with Libyan dictator Moammar Qaddafi was secretly working with the dictator as late as this month to design a public relations campaign to undermine both the rebel forces and NATO.

Al Jazeera’s Jamal Elshayyal unearthed files in Libya’s intelligence headquarters that suggest that David Welch — the former assistant secretary of state under President George W. Bush who brokered the deal that normalized relations between Libya and the United States and who later went on to work for the manufacturing and development giant Bechtel — met with Libyan officials in early August to coordinate on undermining the Libyan rebels and NATO forces by, for example, trying to establish ties between the uprising and al Qaeda

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Private Enterprise! Now that's power! Glad see the banks, data intelligence firms, and the secret police get together.

Update: Palantir apologizes for proposal to attack WikiLeaks By Eric W. Dolan
Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 -- 1:33 pm

Three data intelligence firms concocted a plan to attack WikiLeaks on behalf of Bank of America, according to a published report.

The three firms, Palantir Technologies, HBGary Federal and Berico Technologies, planned to "disrupt" Salon.com columnist Glenn Greenwald's support of WikiLeaks, create a disinformation campaign to discredit the secrets outlet, sow discord among WikiLeaks volunteers, and use cyber attacks to target the website's infrastructure.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

micha, fwiw, sending you positive vibes from here. Anti,ren, poly and others, as always thanks for the enlightening posts. Not been a regular poster here for a couple of years or so but good to catch up with some sane and compassionate people ;-)

KennyMac's picture
KennyMac

It's good to see you too, Kenny. :) Hope all is well in your life.

.ren's picture
.ren

Hi Ren. Hope things good with you too my brother ;-)

KennyMac's picture
KennyMac
Quote Antifascist:

Fascist America: Are We There Yet?
Friday, August 07, 2009

-- by Sara

Interestingly, in every case Paxton cites, the political base came from the rural, less-educated parts of the country...

Haven't studies shown that the average Tea Partier is more (formally) educated than the average non-Tea Partier? If so, what does that say about the formal education system in the US?

Garrett78's picture
Garrett78

Academics actually feel threatened. They are being replaced even at state universities. Thom covered the recent koch bros. endowment stipulating the placement of some of their own on the faculty.

Noam however still teaches

/after_9_11_was_war_the_only_option/ is Chomsky, too.Rachel Maddow w/Engel did a 3 part series on the decade of destruction, It was good

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote Garrett78:
Quote Antifascist:

Fascist America: Are We There Yet?
Friday, August 07, 2009

-- by Sara

Interestingly, in every case Paxton cites, the political base came from the rural, less-educated parts of the country...

Haven't studies shown that the average Tea Partier is more (formally) educated than the average non-Tea Partier? If so, what does that say about the formal education system in the US?

Good question. I personally look more at whole systems. We must keep in mind that the U.S. has very little "rural, less-educated" regions left, so making a comparison with Paxton's studies and the situation here in the U.S. might need some adjusting.

I think today in the U.S. you have to look at other factors. Probably a big one would be the in-place propaganda system. That system may well play off the education system, which itself has shifted away from teaching critical thinking to answering questions on nationally designed tests. However, that relatively recent shift would not explain the older Tea Partiers who have had the chance to make up the demographic factors of wealthier, more educated. So you'd have to look at the propaganda system, their concerns, and who they are. Here are some features:

Tea party supporters are wealthier and more well-educated than the general public, tend to be Republican, white, male, and married, and their strong opposition to the Obama administration is more rooted in political ideology than anxiety about their personal economic situation, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

(source)

And these following are four characteristics that may say more than an education factor about those in the Tea Party Movement:

American voters sympathetic to the Tea Party movement reflect four primary cultural and political beliefs more than other voters do: authoritarianism, libertarianism, fear of change, and negative attitudes toward immigrants and immigration, according to new research to be presented at the 106th Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association.

(source)

What I see there is a cultural and political filter that sifts through education and brings out certain characteristics that may not be effected by formal education. The feature: 'authoritarianism' strikes me as a potent one. Antifascist has brought considerable referenced information in the work he's put on Thom's boards since about 2004 that correlates authoritarianism with fascism. The four features together probably correlate well with the watching/listening audience for Fox News and the right wing hate radio broadcasting. It might be worth checking out. I don't have the interest to go that far at the moment.

.ren's picture
.ren

http://www.truth-out.org/goodbye-all-reflections-gop-operative-who-left-...

is an article from an insider. It is a cult, doomsday cult, or he compares to the extremes in Europe in the last century. Sounds like fascism to me.

Far from being a rarity, virtually every bill, every nominee for Senate confirmation and every routine procedural motion is now subject to a Republican filibuster. Under the circumstances, it is no wonder that Washington is gridlocked: legislating has now become war minus the shooting, something one could have observed 80 years ago in the Reichstag of the Weimar Republic. As Hannah Arendt observed, a disciplined minority of totalitarians can use the instruments of democratic government to undermine democracy itself.

John P. Judis sums up the modern GOP this way:

"Over the last four decades, the Republican Party has transformed from a loyal opposition into an insurrectionary party that flouts the law when it is in the majority and threatens disorder when it is the minority. It is the party of Watergate and Iran-Contra, but also of the government shutdown in 1995 and the impeachment trial of 1999. If there is an earlier American precedent for today's Republican Party, it is the antebellum Southern Democrats of John Calhoun who threatened to nullify, or disregard, federal legislation they objected to and who later led the fight to secede from the union over slavery."

A couple of years ago, a Republican committee staff director told me candidly (and proudly) what the method was to all this obstruction and disruption. Should Republicans succeed in obstructing the Senate from doing its job, it would further lower Congress's generic favorability rating among the American people. By sabotaging the reputation of an institution of government, the party that is programmatically against government would come out the relative winner.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Thus far, I have concentrated on Republican tactics, rather than Republican beliefs, but the tactics themselves are important indicators of an absolutist, authoritarian mindset that is increasingly hostile to the democratic values of reason, compromise and conciliation. Rather, this mindset seeks polarizing division (Karl Rove has been very explicit that this is his principal campaign strategy), conflict and the crushing of opposition.

As for what they really believe, the Republican Party of 2011 believes in three principal tenets I have laid out below. The rest of their platform one may safely dismiss as window dressing:

1. The GOP cares solely and exclusively about its rich contributors. The party has built a whole catechism on the protection and further enrichment of America's plutocracy. Their caterwauling about deficit and debt is so much eyewash to con the public. Whatever else President Obama has accomplished (and many of his purported accomplishments are highly suspect), his $4-trillion deficit reduction package did perform the useful service of smoking out Republican hypocrisy. The GOP refused, because it could not abide so much as a one-tenth of one percent increase on the tax rates of the Walton family or the Koch brothers, much less a repeal of the carried interest rule that permits billionaire hedge fund managers to pay income tax at a lower effective rate than cops or nurses. Republicans finally settled on a deal that had far less deficit reduction - and even less spending reduction! - than Obama's offer, because of their iron resolution to protect at all costs our society's overclass.

2. They worship at the altar of Mars. While the me-too Democrats have set a horrible example of keeping up with the Joneses with respect to waging wars, they can never match GOP stalwarts such as John McCain or Lindsey Graham in their sheer, libidinous enthusiasm for invading other countries. McCain wanted to mix it up with Russia - a nuclear-armed state - during the latter's conflict with Georgia in 2008 (remember? - "we are all Georgians now," a slogan that did not, fortunately, catch on), while Graham has been persistently agitating for attacks on Iran and intervention in Syria. And these are not fringe elements of the party; they are the leading "defense experts," who always get tapped for the Sunday talk shows. About a month before Republicans began holding a gun to the head of the credit markets to get trillions of dollars of cuts, these same Republicans passed a defense appropriations bill that increased spending by $17 billion over the prior year's defense appropriation. To borrow Chris Hedges' formulation, war is the force that gives meaning to their lives.

3. Give me that old time religion. Pandering to fundamentalism is a full-time vocation in the GOP. Beginning in the 1970s, religious cranks ceased simply to be a minor public nuisance in this country and grew into the major element of the Republican rank and file. Pat Robertson's strong showing in the 1988 Iowa Caucus signaled the gradual merger of politics and religion in the party. The results are all around us: if the American people poll more like Iranians or Nigerians than Europeans or Canadians on questions of evolution versus creationism, scriptural inerrancy, the existence of angels and demons, and so forth, that result is due to the rise of the religious right, its insertion into the public sphere by the Republican Party and the consequent normalizing of formerly reactionary or quaint beliefs. Also around us is a prevailing anti-intellectualism and hostility to science; it is this group that defines "low-information voter" - or, perhaps, "misinformation voter."

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Politicized religion is also the sheet anchor of the culture wars. But how did the whole toxic stew of GOP beliefs - economic royalism, militarism and culture wars cum fundamentalism - come completely to displace an erstwhile civilized Eisenhower Republicanism?

It is my view that the rise of politicized religious fundamentalism (which is a subset of the decline of rational problem solving in America) may have been the key ingredient of the takeover of the Republican Party. For politicized religion provides a substrate of beliefs that rationalizes - at least in the minds of followers - all three of the GOP's main tenets.

Televangelists have long espoused the health-and-wealth/name-it-and-claim it gospel. If you are wealthy, it is a sign of God's favor. If not, too bad! But don't forget to tithe in any case. This rationale may explain why some economically downscale whites defend the prerogatives of billionaires.

The whole article is a good read.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

In the discipline of cultural pathology, our case study can become a full-time cable channel. How did the American Dream become this Nightmare? What is it about us that keeps us from a modesty of means and dreams instead of living as a "Chosen People?"

I began looking at the meme of the American Century in the 70's. It is the distillate of Manifest Destiny, the Founder's Legacy reduced to the essential liquor of Providence. In this complex intoxicant, one finds both the moral idealism of Universal Humanity and the narcissism of how that UH looks so much like us.

For the religious critics of American culture, the current decay surely gives them ample material, just as it feeds the writers for Stewart and Colbert. If you want to have a NT perspective of counter-culture alienation, just blame modernity and secularism and hold fast to the "truths." Send the money to Rev. Slimemaker at ........ If you want a serious perspective to decide what gods are false, you might want to suspect those selling God as the answer right off the bat.

The Gods of America are Mars and Mammon. Jesus is dying on the cross again. Empire is ruling, and war is the way to peace. Get ready for that Great Gettin' Up Morning.

DRC's picture
DRC

Currently Chatting

It’s Time for Bill O’Reilly to Get Real about White Privilege

It’s time for white America to get real about white privilege. Last night, Bill O’Reilly came from back vacation early to host a special edition of “The Factor”, one that he said would “tell the truth” about what’s going on in Ferguson, Missouri.