Tea Party and the Second Stage of Fascism.

150 posts / 0 new

Comments

Quote DRC:

In the discipline of cultural pathology, our case study can become a full-time cable channel. How did the American Dream become this Nightmare? What is it about us that keeps us from a modesty of means and dreams instead of living as a "Chosen People?"

I began looking at the meme of the American Century in the 70's. It is the distillate of Manifest Destiny, the Founder's Legacy reduced to the essential liquor of Providence. In this complex intoxicant, one finds both the moral idealism of Universal Humanity and the narcissism of how that UH looks so much like us.

For the religious critics of American culture, the current decay surely gives them ample material, just as it feeds the writers for Stewart and Colbert. If you want to have a NT perspective of counter-culture alienation, just blame modernity and secularism and hold fast to the "truths." Send the money to Rev. Slimemaker at ........ If you want a serious perspective to decide what gods are false, you might want to suspect those selling God as the answer right off the bat.

The Gods of America are Mars and Mammon. Jesus is dying on the cross again. Empire is ruling, and war is the way to peace. Get ready for that Great Gettin' Up Morning.

One of your darker takes, DRC.

I guess there are all sorts of ways we can criticize the current state of demise. What makes sense is that we all seem to be seeing a process and it's not going well for all of us on a mass scale.

.ren's picture
.ren
Quote douglaslee:

http://www.truth-out.org/goodbye-all-reflections-gop-operative-who-left-...

is an article from an insider. It is a cult, doomsday cult, or he compares to the extremes in Europe in the last century. Sounds like fascism to me.

By "it" I presume you are referring to the extremes that have taken the Republican Party hostage? In other words, the topic of this thread, those being associated with or at least approved of by the Crackpot Party (otherwise: the Tea Party), as the now retired "operative" I believe identified them:

Quote Mike Lofgren:

But the crackpot outliers of two decades ago have become the vital center today: Steve King, Michele Bachman (now a leading presidential candidate as well), Paul Broun, Patrick McHenry, Virginia Foxx, Louie Gohmert, Allen West. The Congressional directory now reads like a casebook of lunacy. It was this cast of characters and the pernicious ideas they represent that impelled me to end a nearly 30-year career as a professional staff member on Capitol Hill.

I read that essay on another thread and thought it belonged here because it paralleled the ideas presented in the study cited above:

Study Reveals Cultural Characteristics of the Tea Party Movement

Here's what I consider important about that study and why I felt correlating it with Lofgren's essay makes some sense, and especially so because some of the knee jerk comments about the study from the right make such typical paranoid charges as "it was paid for by the government": The study's purpose plainly stated:

In exploring the TPM (Tea Party Movement), we set out to determine if general public support for the movement represents a new political and cultural phenomenon or whether it is simply realignment with the Republican Party. Specifically, what are the political and cultural dispositions of Tea Party supporters?

If those dispositions are new, as suggested, then it would seem that the whole project we call the United States can be looked at as very likely on that path those concerned about a turn towards fascism have expressed here. And for those of us who are not comfortable with authoritarianism, that's of some very great concern to us. It's another way of saying we've lost those factors in our political system that have kept the spinning top righting itself and upright, though occasionally wobbly.

When a former insider in the Republican Party walks away and spells out why in an essay that parallels a study of this sort, we might do well to listen.

Here is what the study's authors concluded from their efforts in the final paragraph:

Recognizing that the 2008-2010 Tea Party Movement is one such backlash is key to understanding what is new about it and what is not. The coalition of views that makes up the TPM is largely the same that makes up the Republican Party. What is new about the TPM is its syncretic cultural work melding the 21st-century discontent to the symbolic memory of 18th century America. The words of one TPM supporter say it all: "We want to save America. We want to see this country go back to the original success formula that made it what we are today."

And then you get to DRC's ongoing pathology critique where he sees a misplacing of emphasis on the "symbolic memory" of American Exceptionalism and all that has arisen from that somehow meshed into Empire, especially the militancy that leads to war activities. And you can get to Antifascist's ongoing critique of logical positivism which also includes this critique of the positivist reading of the constitution (as expressed in the answers to questions in the study and in their conclusion) as if it were a fundamentalist's Bible reading.

All of these readings do not bode well when put in a historical perspective with nations have gone the route of authoritarianism. And keep in mind that a presidential system (ours) is the one version considered most vulnerable to that route:

Tendency towards authoritarianism

Winning the presidency is a winner-take-all, zero-sum prize. A prime minister who does not enjoy a majority in the legislature will have to either form a coalition or, if he is able to lead a minority government, govern in a manner acceptable to at least some of the opposition parties. Even if the prime minister leads a majority government, he must still govern within (perhaps unwritten) constraints as determined by the members of his party—a premier in this situation is often at greater risk of losing his party leadership than his party is at risk of losing the next election. On the other hand, once elected a president can not only marginalize the influence of other parties, but can exclude rival factions in his own party as well, or even leave the party whose ticket he was elected under. The president can thus rule without any allies for the duration of one or possibly multiple terms, a worrisome situation for many interest groups. Juan Linz argues that:

The danger that zero-sum presidential elections pose is compounded by the rigidity of the president's fixed term in office. Winners and losers are sharply defined for the entire period of the presidential mandate... losers must wait four or five years without any access to executive power and patronage. The zero-sum game in presidential regimes raises the stakes of presidential elections and inevitably exacerbates their attendant tension and polarization.

Constitutions that only require plurality support are said to be especially undesirable, as significant power can be vested in a person who does not enjoy support from a majority of the population.

.ren's picture
.ren

All against a background of corrupt money. How long money can buy truth and twist it into messaging to manage consent is my question. Were it just the ideologies of exceptionalism, I think we could deal with it. When it has the weight of gold and lead, when people choose to eat or starve or to live rather than die, what gets embraced is not what "makes sense" if it puts you at risk.

Money does not talk, it swears.

DRC's picture
DRC

People are not bombarded with imagery in mass media that portrays a simple life set in nature. People in general do not live such lives anymore.

Money pays for all that. Money creates the system that wants to maintain itself, despite the ever rising barriers of contradiction telling us it's not working so well anymore for most of us, as the wealth of the middle class is siphoned upwards once again and people fall through gigantic holes in the capitalistic created sieve below.

And the people following the mythmakers Lofgren is calling crackpots think the whole broken Humpty Dumpty egg can be put back together again.

.ren's picture
.ren
By "it" I presume you are referring to the extremes that have taken the Republican Party hostage? In other words, the topic of this thread, those being associated with or at least approved of by the Crackpot Party (otherwise: the Tea Party), as the now retired "operative" I believe identified

That is exactly what I was referring to. That and the Judis referenced neo-fuedal [actually that's my label, but Judis was referenced in the operative's article] sector of GOP.

I saw one of the researchers on an msnbc show [Ratigan?], and the group is the old john birchers born again..as it were. Mix koch [father was a founder of birchers] with falwell, or robertson, and they get born again.

Throw in a little ALEC and you get the disenfranchised voters that are seeing behind the curtain and could actually stop it. This is a blatant power grab, and fox had one radio nut-wing radio jock that doesn't think poor should be able to vote. He has since added 'so easily' to his position, so it is now it should not be made easier for the poor to vote. I guess a homeless shelter is not legitimate enough an address for voter registration.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote douglaslee:

That is exactly what I was referring to. That and the Judis referenced neo-fuedal [actually that's my label, but Judis was referenced in the operative's article] sector of GOP.

I saw one of the researchers on an msnbc show [Ratigan?], and the group is the old john birchers born again..as it were. Mix koch [father was a founder of birchers] with falwell, or robertson, and they get born again.

Throw in a little ALEC and you get the disenfranchised voters that are seeing behind the curtain and could actually stop it. This is a blatant power grab, and fox had one radio nut-wing radio jock that doesn't think poor should be able to vote. He has since added 'so easily' to his position, so it is now it should not be made easier for the poor to vote. I guess a homeless shelter is not legitimate enough an address for voter registration.

These Bircher types are not very astute people, in my experience. And I've known a fair number. Their coolaid seems to damage neurons. The power has already been grabbed. They'll just be patsies. However, that doesn't mean they can't do a lot of damage along the way.

.ren's picture
.ren

Chomsky knows a bit about fascism, and the similarities to the current events

Chomsky Warns of Risk of Fascism in America By Matthew Rothschild, April 12, 2010

Noam Chomsky, the leading leftwing intellectual, warned last week that fascism may be coming to the United States.

“I’m just old enough to have heard a number of Hitler’s speeches on the radio,” he said, “and I have a memory of the texture and the tone of the cheering mobs, and I have the dread sense of the dark clouds of fascism gathering” here at home.

Chomsky was speaking to more than 1,000 people at the Orpheum Theatre in Madison, Wisconsin, where he received the University of Wisconsin’s A.E. Havens Center’s award for lifetime contribution to critical scholarship.

“The level of anger and fear is like nothing I can compare in my lifetime,” he said.

He cited a statistic from a recent poll showing that half the unaffiliated voters say the average tea party member is closer to them than anyone else.

“Ridiculing the tea party shenanigans is a serious error,” Chomsky said.

Their attitudes “are understandable,” he said. “For over 30 years, real incomes have stagnated or declined. This is in large part the consequence of the decision in the 1970s to financialize the economy.”

There is class resentment, he noted. “The bankers, who are primarily responsible for the crisis, are now reveling in record bonuses while official unemployment is around 10 percent and unemployment in the manufacturing sector is at Depression-era levels,” he said.

And Obama is linked to the bankers, Chomsky explained.

“The financial industry preferred Obama to McCain,” he said. “They expected to be rewarded and they were. Then Obama began to criticize greedy bankers and proposed measures to regulate them. And the punishment for this was very swift: They were going to shift their money to the Republicans. So Obama said bankers are “fine guys” and assured the business world: ‘I, like most of the American people, don't begrudge people success or wealth. That is part of the free-market system.’

more on the link

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

The evolution continues...

Texas tea party leader promotes Fascist Party as ‘pro-Constitution, pro-America’

By David Edwards,Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A tea party leader in Texas is defending his promotion of the American Fascist Party as something he thought was “pro-Constitution, pro-America.”

James Ives, who was listed as the president of the Greater Fort Bend County Tea Party in 2011, confirmed to The Texas Tribune on Monday that he had made a promotional video for the American Fascist Party and advocated tea party principles on a Fascist Party message board

In the video, a man who looks like Ives sits in front of a Fascist Party logo wearing a uniform with yellow shoulder patches. Another photo shows a uniformed man sitting in front of a fascist cross. The blog that inspired Norwegian mass shooter Anders Behring Breivik describes fascist solar crosses as “symbolic representations buried deep in the regions of the brain where the primal responses to stimuli are rage, awe, and fear....”

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

These people are around, and many of them are in positions of power. It's scary. I think that the tides are working against them. We'll see. (Not much of a post, I admit. I'm not sure what there is to say). Won't it be wonderful when Texas becomes a blue state?

Art's picture
Art

I saw that article on Raw Story today and thought the guy won't get any support from patriot groups especially those in Texas because they are strongly anti-fascist.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

No, all Teabagger Patriots are fascists. They won't like it being pointed out. Like roaches scurrying after the light is turned on, Teabaggers will scurry from the fascist label, but cling to the hyper militantism and jingoistic rhetoric.
Who are we supposed to invade next, Syria or Iran? Let me think, does Syria have oil?

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

How can any flea bagger be anti-fascist and vote against what's best for them time after time?

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter

Fascism in the U.S. won't be called fascism.

As Sinclair Lewis noted, "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross".

An Assassinator-In-Chief, wrapped in the flag and cheered on by millions, is probably an indication of that sort of thing unfolding.

The German term for their Assassinator-In-Chief was der fuehrer. We call ours, Mr. President.

Assassinations of American citizens are un-Constitutional.

When heads of state are above the law....there is no law outside of what they say it is.

Sieg Heil.

Retired Monk -- "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

I watched this 2003 Canadian mini-series on Hitler's rise to power entitled, "Hitler: Rise of Evil." This film is pretty good although there are some historical inaccuracies, but they are minor and do not impact the essential events leading to Hitler's rise to power. Here is a list of historical events that the miniseries condensed or otherwise covered sparingly.

What I found most interesting was how Hitler and the Nazis moved into the Reichstag in 1932 and whenever they did not get what they wanted shutdown the entire government by refusing to vote on any government business then walking out of the chamber thereby triggering new state elections as the Reichstag rules required. The Nazis forced four elections in one year by using this parliamentary tactic. In other words, they shutdown the German government and then campaigned on the theme that the government was dysfunctional. Sound familiar?

This is the same tactic that the Republicans and the Tea party Fascist party are using in today's Congress. The fiscal cliff, filibuster, and sequestration are having a similar effect on crippling the United States government when the Republicans and radical Rightwing don't get their way. In Robert Draper's book, "Do Not Ask What Good We Do: Inside the U.S. House of Representatives," Draper wrote about a January 20, 2009 meeting of GOP leaders at a Washington restaurant, The Caucus Room, where they plotted to sabotage the American Economy to prevent Obama from winning a second term.

Watch the movie of Hitler's tactic starting here at 49 minutes with Hindenburg complaining of the Nazi problem.

Also, I should note that executive producer on this mini-series, Ed Gernon, was one of the first media persons before Dan Rather fired from their jobs for expressing opinions critical of the new Bush II administration.

Ed Gernon, the executive producer, compared the climate of fear that led to the rise of Nazism to the war on terrorism.

"It basically boils down to an entire nation gripped by fear, who ultimately chose to give up their civil rights and plunged the whole world into war. I can’t think of a better time to examine this history than now." —Ed Gernon

Production company Alliance Atlantis, where he had worked for more than a decade, fired him for this comparison. CBS said that his "personal opinions are not shared by CBS and misrepresent the network's motivation for broadcasting this film."

Associates claimed that CBS was prompted to act by a New York Post article that claimed the comment was a sign of Hollywood’s anti-Americanism and stated that Gernon had said President George W. Bush should be looked at “through the prism of Germany’s psychopath.”

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist
Quote Antifascist:

Also, I should note that executive producer on this mini-series, Ed Gernon, was one of the first media persons before Dan Rather fired from their jobs for expressing opinions critical of the new Bush II administration.

Ed Gernon, the executive producer, compared the climate of fear that led to the rise of Nazism to the war on terrorism.

"It basically boils down to an entire nation gripped by fear, who ultimately chose to give up their civil rights and plunged the whole world into war. I can’t think of a better time to examine this history than now." —Ed Gernon

Production company Alliance Atlantis, where he had worked for more than a decade, fired him for this comparison. CBS said that his "personal opinions are not shared by CBS and misrepresent the network's motivation for broadcasting this film."

Associates claimed that CBS was prompted to act by a New York Post article that claimed the comment was a sign of Hollywood’s anti-Americanism and stated that Gernon had said President George W. Bush should be looked at “through the prism of Germany’s psychopath.”

As a someone who divorced myself from consuming Hollywood-generated entertainment/propaganda on television on a daily basis back in the early seventies and have refused to pay for it ever since, I find the above part of your post instructive. Now-a-days when I do take a brief look at most of the pop entertainment from Hollywood I see it filled with verifications of the standards of a violence-prone, authoritarian society willing to use its vast military power to control the planet.

Of course the description of that process is not the described, as Alfred Korzybski might note if he was still around to do so.

The general description has to do with promoting good and democratic ideals throughout the planet (which will presumably somehow make us all safer... eventually). The actual fact of what is taking place in the far reaches of our vast empire is something else. Meanwhile the blowback is modified by feel good cop shows with pro military trending intelligence technology posing as the normal state of life in America. With generals giving their opinions about the next invasion of some threat to our freedoms. With follow-the-leader news broadcast verbatum as the public relations spokespersons for authorities in government provide it... It ought not surprise anyone to read that a corporate-owned media institution with direct ties to the MIC would want to dissociate itself with anything that might discredit anything the Empire is up to related to beating the drums of war.

Westinghouse Electric (1886)

Anyone not subject to attitude shaping anti liberal propaganda that pervades American culture can notice that Hollywood's major trend setting, media-controlling corporations have long been trending in this rightward direction. When Congress willingly participated in a nationwide witch hunt for what it called communists during the McCarthy era, whatever potential for a broader and inclusive political spectrum was seriously put at risk, and the United States has been moving rightward in its media -- after what might be seen by some as a very brief interlude during the Sixties -- ever since. This statement in particular reflects that cowardly McCarthy era period in our highest levels of government:

Quote Antifascist:

Rupert Murdoch's New York Post acts much like Townhall.com, an internet news blog associated with Townhall Magazine, which is yet another megaphone for the more extreme right wing opinions, like written opinions it publishes from Fox Cable opinionizers and such who react to what most who still have some semblance of liberal attitudes left in our minds see as a right leaning, pro corporate, militaristic Obama Administration by calling anything Obama does or says a form of socialistic tyranny (I easily found this example this morning: Will Tyranny Ever Come to America?).

The purpose of these more extreme media versions of right wing thought is not to balance out a liberal media with a critical conservative observation, but to provide a vaudeville act for propaganda contextualizing.

The notion that our media is liberal is a laughing matter to the rest of the world who can see using that term as an obvious propaganda ploy required to create an atmosphere of reaction needed for the simple-minded knee jerk responses from a less than observant, less than critical, increasingly de-educated and dumbed down general population.

No, the purpose is not to offer balancing rational objective political opinions, the purpose is to provide a public excuse for the corporate managers of the media to respond in ways that will remove any hint of serious progressive analysis of rightward trends from public discourse while maintaining the illusion that there may still be some communists hiding under their corporate media beds that could frighten us out of our somnambulistic stupor.

.ren's picture
.ren

"The moronic George W. Bush said, in Orwellian double-speak, they hate us for our freedom and democracy. They don’t hate us because we bomb them, invade them, kill them, destroy their way of life, culture, and infrastructure. They hate us because we are so good. How stupid does a person have to be to believe this BS?"

Homeland Security, a gestapo institution, has “crisis actors” to help it deceive the public in its false flag operations.

The Obama regime has drones with which to silence American citizens without due process of law.

Homeland Security has more than a billion rounds of ammunition, tanks, a para-military force. Detention camps have been built.

Are Americans so completely stupid that they believe this is all for “terrorists” whose sparse numbers require the FBI to manufacture “terrorists” in so-called “sting operations” in order to justify the FBI’s $3 billion special fund from Congress to combat domestic terrorism?"

“In God we trust,” reads the coinage. It should read: “In Satan we follow.”

Paul Craig Roberts is a former Assistant Secretary of the US Treasury(Reagan Admin.) and Associate Editor of the Wall Street Journal.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/05/08/washingtons-presumption/

I highly recommend the movie Antifascist posted, "Hitler, the Rise of Evil". An evening well-spent in a drama format. It's in two parts. Part one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d42GhnKowwc

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

I think it is pretty clear that Obama and the Democratic party are going to lose every single battle. They are not really progressive. They continually give in with every challenge from the Fascist Tea Party faction of the Republican party. They by-pass every opportunity to defend their ground or even to advance. Obama habitually appoints Right-Wing Republicans to his own administration. The Left in general just don't have the courage, or conviction to face these fascists. Meanwhile, the Republican Party who thought they could control these fascist Quislings have lost control of their political mercenaries funded by Koch and other Billionaires. The Tea Party fascists have out maneuvered Obama and the old guard Republicans at every opportunity.(video at 49 minutes)

Article:

Who is Going to Win? Tea Party Energy vs. Progressive Lassitude in Congress by RALPH NADER

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Anti, good thread, the question now, " where is the courage needed, will come from"? Obama is upset about the last bad deal with the last shut down and now he say 'no deal'. His courage come from lesson learn, where can the 99% courage come from? They know if they protest, the provocateurs/ saboteurs/spy's will be all over them. That's not the problem, the problem is "applying a solution". If we know economic independence is the solution, this should be the focus instead of protests. Ralph Nader talk about "Demand a Raise.com", i say "Demand a Partnership". Or we start a "Workers-Own" cooperative. Power respect power, that's the best protest and lesson for courage.

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Probably, Anti, since most Americans have no conception of how fascism arises, they can't see it.

Imitating Germany's rise to a fascist state isn't a good thing. No one seems willing to put on the brakes.

The good news..... they ultimately destroy themselves. The bad news..they bring down the entire nation and its population with them.

I heartily recommend the movie. The similarities are mind boggling if people care to see them.

A correction: Paxton, the foremost authority on fascism, says the U.S. is in the third stage of a full blown fascist state, not the second.

polycarp2
Quote polycarp2:

Probably, Anti, since most Americans have no conception of how fascism arises, they can't see it.

Imitating Germany's rise to a fascist state isn't a good thing. No one seems willing to put on the brakes.

The good news..... they ultimately destroy themselves. The bad news..they bring down the entire nation and its population with them.

I heartily recommend the movie. The similarities are mind boggling if people care to see them.

A correction: Paxton, the foremost authority on fascism, says the U.S. is in the third stage of a full blown fascist state, not the second.

The first part says "unavailable." What did you do, crash the site??

drbjmn

Nah. "Hitler: the Rise of Evil" used to be available on Netflix. It isn't availabe there anymore, either.

I also didn't crash the Netflix site. Some things just tend to disappear.

The U.S. Pres. is now authorized to use the U.S. Army on American soil. We should probably stop imitating Germany. Its path didn't end well.

polycarp2
Quote polycarp2:

Nah. "Hitler: the Rise of Evil" used to be available on Netflix. It isn't availabe there anymore, either.

I also didn't crash the Netflix site. Some things just tend to disappear.

The U.S. Pres. is now authorized to use the U.S. Army on American soil. We should probably stop imitating Germany. Its path didn't end well.

Nah, like most brilliant ideas throughout history, they just weren't implemented correctly. And I just had a bunch of jews tell me my artistic capability wasn't up to snuff. So what the hell am I'm supposed to do now?!

As long as I don't create an "extrordinary circumstance", I'll be ok, right?

drbjmn

http://www.tubeplus.me/search/movies/hitler_the_rise_of_evil/0/

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote douglaslee:

Is there anything you can't find?!

Do you think people get my sarcasm, or should I tone it down?

How was Malta? I think that's where you said you were going. I hope it was for pleasure...

drbjmn
“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face!
It's just a god damed piece of paper!”
- George Bush

26 Tenets of the New World Order:

Or just 26 Tenets of the New Weird Odor.

It proves clear to have peace and stability we must remove the GOP. What a wonderful world it would be. Without all of their wars and greed. No conceted fools making the rules. No more need to hide or fear the wrath of their church. Cooperation without corporations wrecking the roads and then refusing to pay their share to fix them. No gun gods dictating to worshippers to buy more and feel secure. Put one in every kindergarden. No more wars based on lies to profit and add a check to the to do list, Misshun Complished, No bid contracts for haliburdon. This is your brain on GOP...

“We are on the verge of a global transformation.
All we need is the right major crisis and the nations will accept the New World Order.” - David Rockefeller

1) Men are inclined to evil rather than good.

Nixon’s Treason

Bush: Timeline of Treason

Bushladen and the Terrorists Carlyles Groups

Money Laundering Charges Eyed Against Limbaugh

The Day Ashcroft Censored Freedom Of Information

“If the people knew what we had done,
they would chase us down the street and lynch us.”
~ George H.W. Bush to journalist Sarah McClendon

Lynching
States passed new constitutions or legislation which effectively disfranchised most blacks and many poor whites, established segregation of public facilities by race, and separated blacks from common public life and facilities. Nearly 3,500 African Americans and 1,300 whites were lynched in the United States between 1882 and 1968, mostly from 1882 to 1920

2) Preach Liberalism.

"We are grateful to the Washington Post, the NY Times, Time Magazine, and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings, and respected their promises of discretion for almost 40 years. It would have been impossible for us to develop OUR PLAN for the world if we had been subjected to the lights of publicity during those years. But, the world is now more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a World Government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual ELITE and World Bankers is surely preferable to the national auto - determination practiced in past centuries."
- David Rockefeller,
Founder of the Trilateral Commission, June 1991

"It is the SACRED principals enshrined in the UN Charter to which we will henceforth pledge our Allegiance."
- President George Herbert Walker Bush
- UN building, Feb. 1, 1992

"The age of Nations must end... The Government of nations has decided to order their separate sovereignties into ONE GOVERNMENT to which they surrender their arms." - United Nation's World Constitution

3) Use ideals of freedom to bring about class wars.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."
Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering, Nazi Air Force (Luftwaffe) commander, the Nuremberg Trials

"Terrorist operatives infiltrate our communities, plotting, planning and waiting to kill again....To those who scare peace loving people with phantoms of lost liberty, my message is this: your tactics only aid terrorists."
United States Attorney General John Ashcroft

Why Do You Think They Call it DOPE?

Nixon Threads
☛Nixon lied to schedule Ganja #1
☛While Nixon Campaigned, FBI Watched John Lennon
☛Nixon’s Drug War - Re-Inventing Jim Crow, Targeting The Counter Culture
☛Nixon’s Treason
☛Shafer Commission Report on Marijuana and Drugs
☛When leaders act contrary to conscience
☛Nixon Lie Keeps on Killing…
☛Anslinger-Bush-Hearst-Nixon-Hitler-Nalepka Déjà vu
☛Nixon’s 40 Year War On Drugs… Drugs Won!
☛AMA Calls For Ending Nixon’s Lie?

"Do you realize the responsibility I carry?
I'm the only person standing between Richard Nixon
and the White House." ~ John F. Kennedy

4) Any and all means necessary should be used to reach their goals as they are justified.
"You know, it's a funny thing, every one of the bastards that are out for legalizing marijuana is Jewish. What the Christ is the matter with the Jews, Bob?

"You're enough of a pro," Nixon tells Shafer, "to know that for you to come out with something that would run counter to what the Congress feels and what the country feels, and what we're planning to do, would make your commission just look bad as hell."
- Richard Milhouse Nixon

"Marijuana does not lead to physical dependency, although some evidence indicates that the heavy, long-term users may develop a psychological dependence on the drug"
The Shafer Commission of 1970

Tricky Dick's guide to drinking and toking In newly released transcripts, Richard Nixon and Art Linkletter struggle to fathom the differences between demon rum and dope.

Outside View: Nixon Tapes Pot Shocker
One can imagine Nixon's surprise when rumors began circulating in early '71 that the "L-word" was on the table. He responded curtly at his next press conference: "Even if the Commission does recommend that it be legalized, I will not follow that recommendation.

5) Believe their rights lie in force.
“Today America would be outraged if UN troops entered Los Angeles to restore order. Tomorrow they will be grateful! This is especially true if they were told that there was an outside threat from beyond, whether real or promulgated, that threatened our very existence. It is then that all people of the world will plead to deliver them from this evil. The one thing every man fears is the unknown. When presented with this scenario, individual rights will be willingly relinquished for the guarantee of their well being granted to them by the World Government.”
- Henry Kissinger 1991 Bilderberg Conference.

6) The power of their resources must remain invisible until the very moment that they have gained the strength so that no group or force can undermine it.
I want to be invisible. I do guerrilla warfare.
I paint my face and travel at night.
You don't know it's over until you're in a body bag."
--Ralph Reed, Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, 11/9/91

"I want you to just let a wave of intolerance wash over you. I want you to let a wave of hatred wash over you. Yes, hate is good...Our goal is a Christian nation. We have a Biblical duty, we are called by God, to conquer this country. We don't want equal time. We don't want pluralism."
--Randall Terry, Founder of Operation Rescue,
The News-Sentinel, Fort Wayne, Indiana, 8-16-93

"We're going to bring back God and the Bible and drive the gods of secular humanism right out of the public schools of America."
--Presidential candidate Pat Buchanan
addressing the anti-gay rally in Des Moines, 2-11-96

"The mission of the Christian Coalition is simple," says Pat Robertson. It is "to mobilize Christians -- one precinct at a time, one community at a time -- until once again we are the head and not the tail, and at the top rather than the bottom of our political system." Robertson predicts that "the Christian Coalition will be the most powerful political force in America by the end of this decade." And, "We have enough votes to run this country...and when the people say, 'We've had enough,' we're going to take over!"
--Pat Robertson

7) Advocates a mob psychology to obtain control of the masses

Victims of Teabog rhetoric?
Neocon Teabogs Really Are "Bloodlusting Terrorists"
Are the Teabogs Traitors, Serving a Southern Neoconfederacy?

8 ) Promotes the use of alcohol, drugs, moral corruption, and all forms of vice to systematically corrupt the youth of the nation.

"Parallel to the training of the body a struggle against the poisoning of the soul must begin. Our whole public life today is like a hothouse for sexual ideas and simulations. Just look at the bill of fare served up in our movies, vaudeville and theaters, and you will hardly be able to deny that this is not the right kind of food, particularly for the youth...Theater, art, literature, cinema, press, posters, and window displays must be cleansed of all manifestations of our rotting world and placed in the service of a moral, political, and cultural idea."
Adolf Hitler, "Mein Kampf", Vol. 1, Chapter 10

"In every country and in every age,
the priest has been hostile to liberty,
He is always in alliance with the despot,
abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own."
~Thomas Jefferson, 1814

9) Seize citizens’ private property by any means necessary.

The vast majority of prohibitionists
profit on the drug war,..
… and that is their only motive.

NeoConflicts of Interest

MJ Research Cut as Support Grows

Policing for Profit*

Forfeiture $quads

Money Grubbing Dung Worriers
DEAth Merchants

GOP Mogul Behind Drug Rehab ‘Torture’ Centers

10) The use of slogans such as equity, liberty, and fraternity are used on the masses as psychological warfare.

24) Infiltrate into all classes and levels of society and government for the purpose of teaching the youth in the schools theories and principles known to be false.

DAREyl SWAT Gates, LAPDog Perversions.

Calvina Fay Prohibition Inc.

The Assassins of Youth: DARE ˙†´ FRCn PDFA

Lipstick on a Pig

"A violently active, intrepid, brutal youth
that is what I am after...
I will have no intellectual training.
Knowledge is ruin for my young men."
Adolf Hitler,
quoted by John Gunther "The Nation"

Tell the NRA: ENOUGH!
NRA Slavery: Another Fine Product Still Made in the USA

* Kochroach & Aleech

Religious drug treatment in Texas

11) War should be directed so that the nations on both sides are placed further in debt and peace conferences are designed so that neither combatant retain territory rights.

The Human and Fiscal Cost of the Ganjawar

Lobbyists Are Getting Rich Off of WoD
Lobbyists War Over Billions in Antidrug Aid

"We have spent over a trillion dollars trying to eradicate the world's most beneficial plant off the face of the earth. Imagine what a better world this would be if that money had been spent on treatment, education and studying the medical benefits of marijuana."
-- Steve Hager - High Times Editor (1988 - 2003)

Protein: Mad Cows v Hempseed

Omega 3: Fish v Hempseed Oil
Chemical Cotton vs Organic Hemp
Organic Cannabis/Tobacco vs Chemical Cigarettes
Industrial Use of Trees vs Hemp
SULFUR IN COALS

Ganja treatment of Multiple Sclerosis/Spasms

"The anti-marijuana campaign is a cancerous tissue of lies, undermining law enforcement, aggravating the drug problem, depriving the sick of needed help, and suckering well-intentioned conservatives and countless frightened parents.

Narcotics police are an enormous, corrupt international bureaucracy ... and now fund a coterie of researchers who provide them with 'scientific support' ... fanatics who distort the legitimate research of others."
~ William F. Buckley, Jr. Requiescat In Pace
Commentary in The National Review, April 29, 1983, p. 495

12) Members must use their wealth to have candidates chosen to public office who would be obedient to their demands, and would be used as pawns in the game by the men behind the scenes. The advisors will have been bred, reared, and trained from childhood to rule the affairs of the world.

Bush Family History with Nazism

Busht Cheneynagans D.E.A.th & Oil!

“Since I entered politics, I have chiefly had men's views confided to me privately. Some of the biggest men in the United States —in the fields of commerce and manufacturing—are afraid of somebody. They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they had better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it.” - Woodrow Wilson
The real truth of the matter is, as you and I know that “A financial element in the large centers has owned the government since the days of Andrew Jackson.”
- Franklin Roosevelt,
- FDR to Col. E. Mandell House 11/21/1933
(History points to the last truly honorable and incorruptible American President as "Old Hickory")

Bushit or Sadamn? Flip a Coin

The Enron, Bush, Baker, Rockefeller connection

I.G.Farben,Dupont,Ford,Hearst,Frankenfoods,Prohibition

13) Control the press, and hence most of the information the public receives.

The inbedwith dis-infotainment: Gaza to Iraq

The Corporate Muzzle

Trolls of Fascism

"Another weapon I discovered early
was the power of the printed word to sway souls to me.
The newspaper was soon my gun, my flag -
a thing with a soul that could mirror my own."
~ Benito Mussolini

14) Agents and provocateurs will come forward after creating traumatic situations, and appear to be the saviors of the masses, when they are actually interested in just the opposite, the reduction of the population.

Bush Crimes Against Humanity

Stealing America: Vote By Vote
US Supreme Court crushes campaign finance restrictions

Bush Cabal Hides Patriot II Police State in HR2417

Louisiana Dungeons are anti-American, anti-Humanity.

15) Create industrial depression and financial panic, unemployment, hunger, shortage of food, use these events to control the masses and mobs, and use them to wipe out those who stand in the way.

Monsanto crap
Food Insecurity: Monsanto
Monsanto’s Love Child Cliarance
Monsanto 200,000 Indian Farmer Suicides

Roundup Ready religion: The Vatican and GMOs

Monsanto Sucks.com
Monsanto Watch

Millions Against Monsanto

16) Infiltrate Freemasonry which is to be used to conceal and further objectives.

Huh?

17) Expound the value of systematic deception, use high sounding slogans and phrases, advocate lavish sounding promises to the masses even though they can’t be kept.

"The masses have little time to think.
And how incredible is the willingness of modern man to believe."

Warning To States on Funding Faith-Based Charities
"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US,
and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers.
Their Satanic music, jazz and swing,
result from marijuana usage.
This marijuana causes white women
to seek sexual relations with Negroes,
entertainers and any others."
Harry Anslinger,
U.S. Commissioner of Narcotics,
testifying to Congress on why marijuana should be made illegal, 1937.
(Marijuana Tax Act, signed Aug. 2, 1937; effective Oct. 1, 1937.)

18) The art of street fighting is necessary to bring the population into subjection.

NFL's Buzzkill
The Hypocrisy of the NFL
Following a string of violent incidents - including a pair of stabbings - between rowdy football fans during the team's previous games, Giants Stadium officials made the bold move to halt sales of the intoxicant. The rationale for the ban? Jets spokesman Ron Colangelo could not have been more blunt: "It's for the safety of our fans."

Fans Too Relaxed for Fights

Cannabis Helps Keep Fans Calm
Police also claimed that the availability of cannabis in the Netherlands probably helped to defuse any violence. Scores of ticketless England fans gathered in coffee shops in Eindhoven, where cannabis is sold and smoked, to watch the game, greeting the defeat with mild disappointment and unusually, gentle applause. "It (cannabis) may have helped relax them," Mr Beelan added. "Even the hooligans enjoyed the party - and they told our officers. There were lots of things for fans to do and everybody had a good time."

Basketball Riots in L.A., Soccer Thugs in Europe

Euro 2000 Soccer Violence Could Vanish in a Puff

Aggression and Violence in Sport

19) Use agents as provocateurs and advisers behind the scenes, and after wars use secret diplomacy talks to gain control.

Cover-Ups, Prevarications, Subversions & Sabotage

Catch 22²

20) Establish huge monopolies towards world government control.

NeoConflicts of Interest

MJ Research Cut as Support Grows

Bush Barthwell & Drugs

U.S.Fort Schwag Mississippi

US Government Patents Medical Pot

21) Use high taxes and unfair competition to bring about economic ruin by controlling raw materials, organized agitation among the workers, and subsidizing competitors.

Why Do Democrats Defend Nixon's Drug War?

again... Where are all of the Taxbaggers and Norquest?

Shame on the Tax Paid Drug Worrier Profiteers
☛Nonsensical Harbingers of Idiocracy
☛Misinformation S.A.M.
☛If the Roots are Poison, So be the Fruit.
☛Mooching Off Medicaid
☛More DEA and UN Overreaching Arguments Against Legalization
☛Won’t say why?
☛The U.N.’s complicity in international human rights abuses
☛The Many Different Faces Of Cannabis In America
☛Lobbyists Are Getting Rich Off of WoD

22) Build up armaments with police and soldiers who can protect and further the New World Order's interests.

Corporations That Supplied Iraq's Weapons Program

Kosovo The Current Bombings: Behind the Rhetoric

Vietnam All Over Again - The Colombia Drug War

Toxic Drift: Monsanto and the Drug War in Colombia

PoisonInc.jpg

23) Members and leaders of the one world government will be appointed by the director of the New World Order.

"For more than a century, ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure - one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it."
- David Rockefeller, Memoirs , 2002

25) Create and use national and international laws to destroy civilization.

Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs

Why the Federal Government Will Not Reschedule Marijuana
Trillion spent is a Trillion earned

Using the drug war to keep blacks from voting
U.N. told to find alternatives to war on drugs

The Obama Admin's Anti-Marijuana Manifesto
☛Multiple DEA Raids Target Marijuana in Hawaii
☛Obama: Drug Legalization is "An Entirely Legitimate Topic for Debate"
☛Hil and Gil on the Drug War
☛Obombo's Sublingual Attack on Ganja
☛One Drug Arrest Every 19 Seconds Oh Gilligan!
☛President Obama takes a dump on California
☛Obama Doesn’t Need Congress

Koch-Owned Georgia-Pacific Environmental Crimes

STOP the Fossil Fools Pipedream, Again! Got Hemp?

Cheney’s Legacy of Fracking America to Death
☛It Can’t Happen Heeere

☛Halliburton Watch: fracturing Americans 1949 - ?

26) Use estrogens & femicals to drive males gay and the female population insane thereby insuring the destruction of the family, hence more governmental dependency. The whole debt crisis is the way the NWO is going to get their fascism in America with the idiot Tea-Partiers going right along with it.

GOP’s “A War on Women"

Wall Street's Spontaneous Abortionists
☛Pro Life? Not even anti abortionists...
☛GOPerversion, another Prohibition! On Women...
☛Scotts Miracle-Gro Will Pay $12.5 Million for Violations

CIGARETTE USE AND IMPOTENCE

If you smoking cigarettes, you’re playing Russian roulette with your sexual function.
Dr. John Mulhall, Director, Center for Sexual Health, Loyola University Medical Center

There’s absolutely no question about it. It causes it very commonly.
Dr. Culley Carson, Urology Department Chairman, University of North Carolina

If you smoking cigarettes, you’re about twice as likely to have erectile dysfunction.
Dr. John McKinlay, New England Research Institute

Smoking cigarettes is clearly hazardous to your erection.
Dr. Lawrence Levine, Rush Medical Center, Director of Male Sexual Function Program

I feel confident that smoking cigarettes does and can cause impotence.
Dr. Randolph Smoak, Chair, Board of Trustees, American Medical Association
[All quotes from the “60 Minutes” program on smoking and impotence (CBS: November 8, 1998)]

The 'Virtues' of Ganja

Marijuana and Sex
Marijuana has been used in one form or another across many different cultures as an
aphrodisiac for thousands of years. Marijuana has been used in India for at least 3,000 years to increase libido and conquer impotence.

Marijuana and Sex: A Classic Combination
Ancient tantrists and modern researchers agree:
pot and sex are two great things that go together

Ganja and Sex

Marijuana: the ultimate sex drug by Chris Bennett

Mittney ties to El Salvadorian right wing death squads

Iran Contra Anniversary
The Lost Opportunities of Iran-Contra 25 Years Later

SCAPEGOATING - Blaming social problems on a cultural, racial, or behaviorial group. PREJUDICE - Selling the public on the idea that all members of the targeted group are 'bad' people. LIES - 'Facts', which cannot be verified, and pseudo scientific studies are used as propaganda against the targeted group. History is rewritten. NO PUBLIC DEBATE - "These people have no right to have their viewpoiunt aired." and " Anyone who disagrees or questions us must be one of them!" DEHUMANIZATION - Characterizing all members of a targeted group as subhuman and typically capable of monstrous deeds and/or crimes. PROTECT OUR CHILDREN - "They corrupt, seduce and or destroy our children." CIVIL LIBERTIES SACRIFICED - "We must give up some of our freedoms, liberties, and rights in order to combat this menace to society." LEGAL DESCRIMINATION - Laws criminalize members of targeted group and they may be denied jobs, the right to own property and/or be restricted as to where they may live or go. INFORMERS - Citizens are urged to 'turn in' friends, neighbors, co-workers and family members. SECRET POLICE - Non-uniformed police squads set up to wage war on targeted groups utilizing deception, infiltration, espionage and entrapment. CONFISCATION OF PROPERTY - Property and assets are seized from people who are members of targeted group. Property may be divided between the informer and the state. REMOVAL FROM SOCIETY - Prisons, rehabilitation camps, 'hospitals', executions and genocide...
"Kill Them All" "Zero Tolerance"

DdC's picture
DdC

Poly #122, thanks for film info. Doug #124, thank you very much for film link. Ddc #126, when you're not blind by hemp, you give out a lot of good info, thanks.

tayl44's picture
tayl44
Quote drbjmn:
Quote douglaslee:

How was Malta? I think that's where you said you were going. I hope it was for pleasure...

It might take a little longer for posters to know your standing. Take some bonafide positions backed by reasoned consideration and data, then offer the idiotic impossible 'No one could seriously believe that' position, or instead offer a satirical position.

btw, reality based community here knows people after a few months, however /6-times-onion-had-people-completely-fooled fox uses satirical sites and their fans can't tell the difference. They think Obama is a gay muslim communist, too. They think dihydrogenoxide should be outlawed and considered a class 4 felon if anyone is selling it. If you inhale it you die. If it accumulates in the brain your inner gyroscope is destroyed and you have trouble walking. It causes soil erosion, and as a fuel additive it keeps cars from working at all. It shortens the lifespan of machinery and can kill children if they ingest too much of it. Parents have killed children feeding it to their kids under strict christian doctrine.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote douglaslee:
Quote drbjmn:
Quote douglaslee:

It might take a little longer for posters to know your standing. Take some bonafide positions backed by reasoned consideration and data, then offer the idiotic impossible 'No one could seriously believe that' position, or instead offer a satirical position.

btw, reality based community here knows people after a few months, however /6-times-onion-had-people-completely-fooled fox uses satirical sites and their fans can't tell the difference. They think Obama is a gay muslim communist, too. They think dihydrogenoxide should be outlawed and considered a class 4 felon if anyone is selling it. If you inhale it you die. If it accumulates in the brain your inner gyroscope is destroyed and you have trouble walking. It causes soil erosion, and as a fuel additive it keeps cars from working at all. It shortens the lifespan of machinery and can kill children if they ingest too much of it. Parents have killed children feeding it to their kids under strict christian doctrine.

:)

drbjmn

I had a conversation with a tea party member the other day and I remarked that he and his seemed to be against everything. "So?" was the reply and he asked "What's your point?" I said he and his were antediluvian. "Damn straight!!" was his reply, "we're anti everything".

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

If fascism is the merger of business and State, how does limiting the State, which the Tea Party is perceived to be advocating, an extension of fascism.

Note: A lot of the Tea Party was either co-opted or was already unprincipled to begin with.

LysanderSpooner's picture
LysanderSpooner
Quote LysanderSpooner:If fascism is the merger of business and State, how does limiting the State, which the Tea Party is perceived to be advocating, an extension of fascism.

How is it not an extension of fascism? It seems, the Tea People want to limit government to the point where it only serves the wealthy, and represses the poor. The poor being everyone who isn't wealthy, including most of the Teatards.

organican's picture
organican

Correct. Taking away the power of the state does not also limit the rich and powerful. Take away good guys with badges and who runs Small Town, USA? Or Wall Street?

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76
Quote LysanderSpooner:

If fascism is the merger of business and State, how does limiting the State, which the Tea Party is perceived to be advocating, an extension of fascism.

Note: A lot of the Tea Party was either co-opted or was already unprincipled to begin with.

Or ignorant idiots and imbeciles, ninnies and nitwits, twerps and twits, dolts and duffers. "Keep the govt's hands off my medicare".

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Doug #135, i'm laughing to keep from crying. The GOP battle is universal, "By the Grace of God there go i".

tayl44's picture
tayl44
Quote LysanderSpooner:

Probably if the Tea Party would harm the interests of the Koch Bros., the Koch's wouldn't be financing it. Government serves their interests very, very well. It can serve them even better.

As stated before, when any society encourages concentrations of wealth, wealth utimately captures government either through corruption or direct force. When in history has that not been so? The only time that has never occurred was in egalitarian societies.

Your "limited government", if it didn't serve rising wealth concentrations, would be overthrown either through corruption or violence. Maintaining structures that are contrary to the outcome you want is self-defeating, isn't it?

The only difference between a wealthy high level Commissar in the old Soviet Union and a wealthy high level CEO is the title. Both direct the state to serve their own interests.

polycarp2

Both commissars and CEOs sanction assassinations to remove obstacles. Milton Friedman's Chile experiment was a tremendous success in his eyes. Mass slaughters and disappearances were just business. America's genocidal actions are for business. The current American practice of slave labor is no different than the gulags. We have the highest number of slave laborers in the world, but prisoners is a much nicer label. Some of the prisons have gas chambers as did the concentration camps that had slave labor.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote drbjmn:
Quote douglaslee:
Quote drbjmn:
Quote douglaslee:

:)

There is also a HUGE sea life addiction to it that is going completely unnoticed. When whales beach themselves it's because be they are pleading for an intervention. And then people just push right back out to sea.We are all codependant..Where's Dr Drew then?!

drbjmn

The battle in the GOP is not for control

The battle 'tis opined is for it's very soul

Underestimated for sure are the twerps and the twits

"Never forget us" cried the ninnies and nitwits

The sides are being chosen like a game of dodge ball

"I want the duffers for sure" said Captain Rand Paul

"We need a dolt for depth" whispered assistant Dent

"Pick the imbecile" radioed head coach Conrad [or Kent]

The last idiot looked sad and wimpered "What about me?"

"Come on kid, we need you" said trainer Mike Lee.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Here is an excellent article on the Fascist Tea Party, Ted Cruz, and Christian Fascism. The link has the entire article, but I extracted some of the best paragraphs in the quote below.

The Ghost of Authoritarianism in the Age of the Shutdown By Henry A. Giroux
Oct 18, 2013

....For Adorno, the conditions for fascism would more than likely crystallize into new forms. For instance, they might be found in the economic organization of a society that renders “the majority of people dependent upon conditions beyond their control and thus maintains them in a state of political immaturity. If they want to live, then no other avenue remains but to adapt, submit themselves to the given conditions.” In part, this speaks to the role of corporate-controlled cultural apparatuses that normalize anti-democratic ideologies and practices as well as to the paramount role of education in creating a subject for whom politics was superfluous. For Adorno, fascism in its new guise particularly would launch a systemic assault on the remaining conditions for democracy through the elimination of public memory, public institutions in which people could be educated to think critically and the evisceration of public spaces where people could learn the art of social citizenship, thoughtfulness and critical engagement. He also believed that the residual elements of the police state would become emergent in any new expression of fascism in which the corporate and military establishments would be poised to take power. Adorno, like Hannah Arendt, understood that the seeds of authoritarianism lie in the “disappearance of politics: a form of government that destroys politics, methodically eliminating speaking and acting human beings and attacking the very humanity of first a selected group and then all groups. In this way, totalitarianism makes people superfluous as human beings.”

The American political, cultural, and economic landscape is inhabited by the renewed return of authoritarianism evident in the ideologies of religious and secular certainty that legitimate the reign of economic Darwinism, the unchecked power of capital, the culture of fear and the expanding national security state. The ghosts of fascism also are evident in what Charles Derber and Yale Magress call elements of “the Weimer Syndrome,” which include a severe and seemingly unresolvable economic crisis, liberals and moderate parties too weak to address the intensifying political and economic crises, the rise of far-right populist groups such as the Tea Party and white militia, and the emergence of the Christian Right, with its racist, anti-intellectual and fundamentalist ideology. The underpinnings of fascism are also evident in the reign of foreign and domestic terrorism that bears down on the so called enemies of the state (whistleblowers and nonviolent youthful protesters) and on those abroad who challenge America’s imperial mission; it is also visible in a growing pervasive surveillance system buttressed by the belief that everyone is a potential enemy of the state and should be rightfully subject to diverse and massive assaults on rights to privacy and assembly.

...The new extremists and prophets of authoritarianism are diverse, and their roots are in what Chris Hedges calls the radical Christian right, Michael Lind calls the reincarnation of the old Jeffersonian-Jacksonian right and what Robert Parry and Andrew O’Hehir call racist zealots. All of these elements are present in American politics, but they are part of a new social formation in which they share, even in their heterogeneity, a set of organizing principles, values, policies, modes of governance and ideologies that have created a cultural formation, institutional structures, values and policies that support a range of anti-democratic practices ranging from the militarization of public life and acts of domestic terrorism to the destruction of the social state and all those public spheres capable of producing critical and engaged citizens.

Needless to say, all of these groups play an important role in the rise of the new extremism and culture of cruelty that now characterizes American politics and has produced the partial government shutdown and threatens economic disaster with the debt-ceiling standoff. What is new is that these various fundamentalist registers and ideological movements have produced a coalition, a totality that speaks to a new historical conjuncture, one that has ominous authoritarian overtones for the present and future. There is no talk among the new extremists of imposing only an extreme Christian religious orthodoxy on the American people or simply restoring a racial state; or for that matter is there a singular call for primarily controlling the economy. The new counter-revolutionaries and apostles of the Second Gilded age are more interested in imposing a mode of authoritarianism that contains all of these elements in the interest of governing the whole of social life. This suggests a historical conjuncture in which a number of anti-democratic forces come together to “fuse and form a kind of configuration” - a coming together of diverse political and ideological formations into a new totality. The partial government shutdown is a precondition and test run for a full coup d’état by the social formations driving this totality. And while they may lose the heated battle over the government shutdown and the debt ceiling, they have succeeded in executing their project and giving it some legitimacy in the dominant media....

In commenting on the shutdown, Armey raises the issue of “How does a guy like Ted Cruz, who’s relatively new in town, who nobody knows, who hasn’t even unpacked his bags, drive this whole process?” What Armey ignores in this revealing and stark assessment is that the very cultural, economic and political conditions that he has helped to put in place along with a range of other right-wing ideologues helped to create the perfect storm for Cruz to appear and set in motion the authoritarian tendencies that have been percolating in the social order since the late 1970s....

The connection between private troubles and public considerations has been broken. The many problems the American people now face - from unemployment and poverty to homelessness - regardless of the degree to which they are caused by larger social, economic and political forces are now individualized, placed on the shoulders of the victims who are now solely responsible for the terror, hardship and violence they experience. The shutdown is not another example of an egregiously inept and morally corrupt group of politicians, it is a flashpoint registering the degree to which the United States has become an authoritarian state, one now governed by a system in which economics drives politics, irrationality trumps reason, the public good is canceled out by an unchecked narcissism and ethical considerations are subordinated to the drive for profits at any cost.

For those who have refused to participate in the willful amnesia that marks the contemporary slide into authoritarianism, the totalitarian practices of the past few decades have been quite clear. Domestic spying; secret prisons; kill lists; military aggression; the rise of corporatism; the death-dealing culture of hyper-masculinity, drones and the spectacle of violence; and a monochromatic media have not only registered a shift from state power to corporate power but also a move from the welfare state to the warfare state....

The new extremists in the Republican Party are simply raising the bar for the authoritarian registers and illegal legalities that have emerged under Bush and Obama in the past decade - including the bailing out of banks guilty of the worst forms of corporate malfeasance, the refusal to prosecute government officials who committed torture, the undermining of civil liberties with the passage of the Patriot Act, the National Defense Authorization Act, the establishment of a presidential kill list and the authorization of widespread surveillance to be used against the American people without full transparency.

The current crisis has little to do with what some have called a standoff between the two major political parties. It is has been decades in the making and is part of a much broader coup d’état to benefit the financial elite, race baiters, war mongers and conservative ideologues such as the right-wing billionaires, David and Charles Koch, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Americans for Prosperity, the Club for Growth, the Heritage Foundation policy hacks and other extremist individuals and organizations that believe that democracy poses a threat to a government that should be firmly in the hands of Wall Street and other elements of the military-industrial-surveillance-prison complex....

There is more at work here than the recklessness of Senators Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio and other Tea Party Republicans, bankrolled by a handful of billionaires; there is also the echo of authoritarianism that now saturates the American cultural and political landscape, endlessly normalizing itself in the media and other cultural apparatuses that showcase and normalize its corrupt politics, racist and class-based ideologies and culture of cruelty, all enabled under the sanctity of the market and in the name of state security. The shutdown and debt ceiling crisis signal the depth and degree to which the United States has become subject to a new form of authoritarianism.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

If Americans paid attention to the world stage, they'd comprehend that U.S. polices pretty much equate to the policies advocated by the quickly rising New Dawn Party of Greece. It's fascist...and doesn't hide it.

It rose from coffee house meetings of wackos to meeting within the Greek Parliament as elected members of the Greek Government. It's domestic/international policies are the same as ours.

The fascists of Greerce march behind the Greek flag...ours behind the Stars and Stripes.\

The Patriot Act and Defense Authorization Act are near carbon-copies of Hitler's Enabling Act.

polycarp2

Anti #140, i couldn't agree more. The psycho 1% need more authoritarian control because it's dealing with the biggest wisest oppress people in history. The 99% represent the potential of the biggest organization in human history to threating their rule, not to mention the availablity of WMD, "the 1% is restless". After 9/11, nothing should surprise people, "expect the worse, hope the best". Hopefully more wiser people than Snowden and with his courage will step up, that's the one positve option that progressives need to focus on. "Wisdom & Courage". Poly #141, Americans know only what corrupt media show them, it's up to progressive media to get them to "know more". To ignore them is to our peril. How? Speak their language, "dumb-up".

tayl44's picture
tayl44

This thread predicted that the fascist Tea Party composed of the neo-confederates (the old KKK), white supremacists (the new KKK), know-nothing tautology-talking libertarians, and the American evangelical theocratic Taliban would try to takeover their conservative Republican allies. See post 115 of this thread for the exact historical analogy in the 1930s when the Nazi party was invited into the Reichstag by the Weimar government to counter the growing power of the political Left. Hindenburg grossly underestimated Hitler who out maneuvered Chancellor Franz von Papen and took total control of the Reichstag by sabotaging all legislation and setting up a security state.

Well, it is going to cost the old school Republicans and their billionaire
Sugar Daddies a chunk of money to get these crazies out of the limelight. However, the Republican strategy is still to put in a “Strongman” like Chris Christie (Chris Hedges listed Christie’s political backers here) into the Presidency to carry forward a Neoliberal political agenda.

Republican Insiders Fret That Right-Wing Crazies Will Upset GOP's Election Chances :A voter base composed of neo-confederates, know-nothing libertarians, and evangelical theocrats won't stay silent.

[snippet of article…]

January 20, 2014 | With the Republican Party being torn apart by its internal civil war, an ideological battle that pits establishment Republicans against the no-compromise Tea Party/Christian Right, party backers are doing their best to suppress the craziness as the 2014 midterms approach. But are they succeeding?

The Chamber of Commerce and an assembly of anonymous plutocratic donors are pumping money into local congressional primaries to prevent Tea Party-endorsed candidates from scoring nominations. The plutocratic wing of the party is terrified of losing control of the House, and of missing its opportunity to win the Senate on the back of evangelical candidates who make factually incorrect remarks about rape or declare masturbation to be a sin.

“There is a broad concern about having blown a significant number of races because the wrong candidates were selected, “said Steven J. Law, president of Karl Rove’s American Crossroads. “We don’t view ourselves as being in the incumbent protection business, but we want to pick the most conservative candidate who can win.”

The establishment wing is discovering that it’s hard to keep the crazy quiet when your party’s voter base consists of neo-confederates, white supremacists, know-nothing libertarians, and evangelical theocrats. Moreover, social conservatives are no wilting wallflowers when it comes to raising campaign money. A recent Politico piece reported that roughly 25 socially conservative groups combined to pull in more than $280 million in 2011 and 2012. Notwithstanding the fact that much of the Koch brother’s political spending goes to the ideologically insane, too…

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Paxton

Much of Robert Paxton's work has focused on models and definition of fascism.

In his 1998 paper "The Five Stages of Fascism", he suggests that fascism cannot be defined solely by its ideology, since fascism is a complex political phenomenon rather than a relatively coherent body of doctrine like communism or socialism. Instead, he focuses on fascism's political context and functional development. The article identifies five paradigmatic stages of a fascist movement, although he notes that only Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy have progressed through all five:

1. Intellectual exploration, where disillusionment with popular democracy manifests itself in discussions of lost national vigor
  2. Rooting, where a fascist movement, aided by political deadlock and polarization, becomes a player on the national stage
  3. Arrival to power, where conservatives seeking to control rising leftist opposition invite the movement to share power
  4. Exercise of power, where the movement and its charismatic leader control the state in balance with state institutions such as the police and traditional elites such as the clergy and business magnates.
  5. Radicalization or entropy, where the state either becomes increasingly radical, as did Nazi Germany, or slips into traditional authoritarian rule, as did Fascist Italy.[4]

In his 2004 book The Anatomy of Fascism, Paxton refines his five-stage model and puts forward the following definition for fascism:

Fascism may be defined as a form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation, or victim-hood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy, and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing and external expansion.[5]

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Yeah, this is what happens when you define "them" as "evil" and the cause of the decline. The general feeling of dystopic and entropic depression does get a narcotic answer in high stimulus emotionality. Religious passion and commitment to high ideals are not that far from anger and acting out against those who dismiss or oppose "the agenda." When does being "for peace" become a hatred of those who practice violence, and then a willingness to use "holy violence" against the evil ones?

I think that community decline and a desire to 'restore' the dignity and pride of one's people is a natural response. How we react to the narratives in which we find ourselves, and how we escape the walk-on, extra or even character actor roles to have our own story is beyond complex. That it is not good for large numbers of people to feel marginalized and dehumanized by the prevailing narratives available is obvious. How to change it is not.

The appeal of fascism is to the affiliative or "cult" side of human development. Belief is about belonging in every ideological fellowship. Those who believe the same things can work together without all that dissent or disagreement. Doubt and imagination belong to a different realm, one where individuality and personal identity are paramount.

Our cultural fixation on the individual and lack of social realism is not something we should be surprised to find again. Fascism presents a faux community and maturity where belief is expressed in action without a lot of dillying and dallying about the fine points of what is true or not. It sounds too much like the churches I knew where faith was defined the same way. It is easy to go there and get lost. The doors seem to be in the right places, but they do not lead where we need to go.

Mutuality and interdependence change the perception of the issues involved from "me" as an autonomous individual to "me" as a member of an interdependent community where "we" is about how I see this world rather than obsessing on "me." There is a presumption that our true interest will be realized in this "we" thinking and identity, so let's be up front about that. Love is an investment rather than only a reward. But, it comes to us without being earned too. It confounds all our metrics of self and others until we get it into our programs.

drc2

Inside the Troubling Rise of Fascist Parties Across Europe
History is repeating itself as Europe's political leadership puts the needs of the banks first and the people last.
The Huffington Post / By Robert Kuttner

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

And the rush to fix what is broken before anyone can stop them because what they are 'fixing' is broken. This is why banks first.

We are conditioned to "think" about money first as if it were economics or how to get the best bang for our bucks. We get trained to be Monopoly players, not game theorists. The game strategy is the "theory," so it must be about personal greed and accumulation of assets. It cannot be an example of dysfunction or a reason to think about what would avoid the exciting cataclysm's called "winning!" See the glories of Greed and Fiduciary. Don't look down at the ground or you get vertigo.

drc2

Hi drc2,

Yes, I was thinking about how much of everyday life is reduced to economics, and exchange. Wall Street has everyone thinking about money every moment of the day. What a poor substitute for a life. And economic collapse means windfall profits for bankers.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Antifascist,

What you just said here is awesome. I too have noticed that I am being conditioned by TV, etc. into measuring life in terms of money or the lack of it. I feel my self having to resist measuring how good something is in terms of how much or how little money it makes. In Ayn Rands "Atlas Shrugged," money is exalted as the measure of how successful you are at what you are doing. However, that ignores how Buddhist and Catholic monks "make" no money whatsoever but are successful and productive at what they do!

micahjr34

I see the irony partly as being that the rhetoric is hyperbolic e.g. when they (obviously without truly believing it) complain about "death camps" and government atrocities, but their real agenda is to privatize all space so as to force out those that don't serve the interests of private industry's leaders and engineers of the new society.

nimblecivet

Currently Chatting

Are Killers Still In Charge Of Our Healthcare?

Malcolm MacDougall is dead, but he left us a really important message before he died.