Anti-semitic is us

8 posts / 0 new

Human rights for Palestinians? You ARE anti-semitic.

By Lawrence Davidson

Can criticism of Israel, particularly a) criticism of Israel’s treatment of the Palestinian people and b) criticism of the state ideology of Zionism that justifies that treatment, be labeled anti-Semitic?

This is not a hypothetical query. An affirmative answer to this question is being advocated by influential Zionist lobbies in the United States. The question is of particular importance on the nation’s college and university campuses.

In places like the University of California at Berkeley and Santa Cruz, and also at Rutgers University in New Jersey, Zionist students are now threatening to sue these institutions for failing to prevent an “atmosphere of anti-Semitic bigotry” allegedly created by the presence of pro-Palestinian student groups and faculty.

One might ask if it isn’t a stretch to assert that protesting Israeli and Zionist behavior is the same as anti-Semitism? Common sense certainly tells us this is so.

Unfortunately, we are not dealing with situations that are ruled by common sense. What we are facing here is the issue of ideologues bred to a specific perceptual paradigm and their insistence that others conform to it.

Thom is not allowed to criticize Israel either.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Comments

Why do they keep encouraging misusage of the term "anti-semitic"?

To harm a Palestinian is to be anti-semitic.

Semite is a term for a group of peoples that includes Arabs. If someone means anti-Jewish, they should use that term. If someone means anti-Zionist (a subset of Jewish), they should use that term.

When I hear a Zionist purposely use the term "anti-semitic" - it reminds me of the Israeli Apartheid - intentional wrong doing to create pain, suffering, and death for the purpose of wrongful taking.

You cannot create a Religious State by defiling your religious texts with actions forbidden in them.

Rodger97321's picture
Rodger97321

And then there's psycho-semitic, that is, chronic and abnormal anxiety about imaginary symptoms and ailments, and/or extreme or irrational fear of Palestinians' sitting on land God meant for His Chosen People, all of which I can say because it was a Jew who said it to me first.

Zenzoe

Zenzoe, that sounds similar to the nocebo effect.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Thanks for that fascinating article, douglaslee. And how true it is; how easily manipulated we are by our own beliefs.

Zenzoe

http://www.tikkun.org/nextgen/the-current-print-issue-of-tikkun

and
http://www.forward.com/
and
J street
and
Haaretz
all offer good journalism
The late Tony Judt from www.nybooks.com was a treasure.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

You don't have to have an opinion on the Jewish religion to hate how the Palestinians are being treated.

Personally, I think the Jews are as crazy as any other theists. Their history of being opressed is not an excuse for their paranoia and violence any more than Nazi paranoia was an excuse to harm the Jews.

D_NATURED's picture
D_NATURED
Quote Zenzoe:

And then there's psycho-semitic, that is, chronic and abnormal anxiety about imaginary symptoms and ailments, and/or extreme or irrational fear of Palestinians' sitting on land God meant for His Chosen People, all of which I can say because it was a Jew who said it to me first.

The land that you are "occupying" once belonged to some indian tribe. Have you ever considered returning it?

Israel occupies an area about the size of a postage stamp. And still that is way,way too much for the Palestinians. If we disarmed the Palestinians, there would be no war. If we disarmed Israel, there would be no Israel. I hardly call that "irrational."

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Currently Chatting

Time for America to dump "homeland"...

It’s time to do away with the word “homeland." As the situation with ISIS continues to escalate, and as worries about terrorist attacks on American soil continue to spread, we’re hearing the term “homeland” mentioned more and more.