Treason? What am I missing?

7 posts / 0 new

I keep hearing People call in to the show, when they suggest, the Republican's attempts to Trash the economy is Treason, Thom says it isn't.

Here is the Definition of TREASON.

1. the offense of acting to overthrow one's government or to harm or kill its sovereign.

2. a violation of allegiance to one's sovereign or to one's state.3. the betrayal of a trust or confidence; breach of faith;treachery. By taking action to defund our Government by signing and following through with Grover Norquists pledge to NEVER raise Taxes, Aren't they "acting to overthrow our Government?

wpanella's picture
wpanella

Comments

I think here is where Thom realizes that taking up this idea would be a waste of energy.
It's like the whole "Impeach Obama" thing. Oh, I'm sure there are a number of unhappy whackos who are all excited about a baseless scheme to oust Obama even if there's no grounds to launch such an attack. So yes, there are nasty games being played by the Republicans, and sabotage of our government does seem to fit the bill, but persuing the issue would never get the traction from Democrats that it needs to be an effective means of removing the obstructionists in congress.

hodenkat's picture
hodenkat

Its because he is using the Constitutional definition:

Article III. Section 3. Treason

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.

Unless you could somehow prove that trashing the economy was "adhering to [U.S.'s] enemies" a call for treason charges would be impossible.

ah2

In the legal sense, there probably is not a case that could be brought or prosecuted successfully. In the moral sense, the "disloyal opposition" has squandered any reason to be respected as either "patriots" or "citizens of a democracy." We have often been told that our defeat would not come from foreign attack but from within. The seeds of our own destruction are in the toxic mythology of Manifest Destiny and American Exceptionalism, and unless we come to terms with our own delusions, the story of decline and fall will follow a pattern familiar to students of history.

The point of describing their actions as "treasonous" is to arouse opposition to their party first, pimp for wealth behavior. I think the Dems should mobilize public anger at the delay and disrupt tactics of "get Obama" politics at a time when we need sensible public policy. But they would have a better case had they stood for something in the first place.

DRC's picture
DRC

Thom is also quick to deny any parallels to Naziism as hyperbole. In my opinion, though, the Nazis did more than just kill millions of Jews (and others). So, if the Nazis used propaganda in a certain way that is also being done by Americans, the comparison is valid. If the Nazis were anti-private labor unions, and American conservatives are too, then the comparison is valid.

I don't think we have to wait for conservatives to start loading box cars full of liberals, Muslims and gays before we invoke the comparison.

D_NATURED's picture
D_NATURED

I can picture president Perry with Bachmann as VP getting onboard with that.

hodenkat's picture
hodenkat
Quote hodenkat:

I can picture president Perry with Bachmann as VP getting onboard with that.

No kidding. Their campaign posters would have them in an engineer outfit, pulling the train up to the gates of the re-education camp.

D_NATURED's picture
D_NATURED

Currently Chatting

GOP Blocks Equal Pay...again.

Just in time for election season, Senate Republicans blocked legislation aimed at closing the gender pay gap. For the third time since 2012, Republicans refused to allow debate on the Paycheck Fairness Act, and reminded women that the GOP doesn't believe in equal pay for equal work.