Why bother

65 posts / 0 new
Last post

Comments

Wanderlust21
I would submit that it could

I would submit that it could be swift alone. Money, political capital, and brute force do not a revolution make.

It's a brave new world out there.

Dominic C
Wanderlust21 wrote:I would

Wanderlust21 wrote:
I would submit that it could be swift alone. Money, political capital, and brute force do not a revolution make. It's a brave new world out there.

Very true,  It can be swift without the mess.

Or maybe done in increments like the right wing corporatists have done for over 30 years.  For that to occur however would mean that we would have to have a long term approach with a goal that cannot be attained immediately but eventually can through proper planning.

In either case, we need to organize one way or another.

Wanderlust21
Dominic C wrote: Wanderlust21

Dominic C wrote:

Wanderlust21 wrote:
I would submit that it could be swift alone. Money, political capital, and brute force do not a revolution make. It's a brave new world out there.

Or maybe done in increments like the right wing corporatists have done for over 30 years.  For that to occur however would mean that we would have to have a long term approach with a goal that cannot be attained immediately but eventually can through proper planning.

I don't think we have thirty years. The acceleration of oh so many facets of our "grand" experiment have pushed the cycles of change into smaller increments of time. Thirty years at this rate spells our doom.

I believe it takes a few major events, both physical and mass-emotional, combined with a spark towards the technologically inclined, to push the sheeple out of their comfort zone and into a new era of rational thinking. A series of perceived irrational acts could sway the collective consciousness. Playing the "if you say a lie enough times it becomes the truth" card, you could turn that concept in your favor. It's all in the message after the act.

Dominic C
Wanderlust21 wrote: Dominic C

Wanderlust21 wrote:

Dominic C wrote:

Wanderlust21 wrote:

I don't think we have thirty years. The acceleration of oh so many facets of our "grand" experiment have pushed the cycles of change into smaller increments of time. Thirty years at this rate spells our doom. I believe it takes a few major events, both physical and mass-emotional, combined with a spark towards the technologically inclined, to push the sheeple out of their comfort zone and into a new era of rational thinking. A series of perceived irrational acts could sway the collective consciousness. Playing the "if you say a lie enough times it becomes the truth" card, you could turn that concept in your favor. It's all in the message after the act.

I agree that we don't have thirty years.  We may not even have five and it may already be too late no matter how pessimisstic it seems.

I just think that some of these "events" are going to be messy and things are going to get worse and probably much worse before the sheeple realize their balls are in a right wing corporate vise grip.  Of course some of those sheeple, the lunatic fringe twentysomething percent will welcome any and all fascistic policies that are brought upon them...

Wanderlust21
Well, I didn't anticipate

Well, I didn't anticipate this OWS movement when I started this thread. But, my analysis of what needs to happen will be bolstered. This movement will fizzle over the winter months, reinvigorate in the Spring, and die after the election. Nothing "major" will change.

This is the equivalent of a house riddled with termites where the owners would rather attempt to fix the house and build stronger moorings and braces rather than take the logical choice of burning it down and rebuilding. Hell, there're probably people in Washington that think this. They're just acutely aware of it and are nibbling around the edges.

Wanderlust21
If this Occupy movement wants

If this Occupy movement wants an impact, in this day and age, it needs an impact moment. I hate to say it but, this movement will become tedium unless it shifts the scales.

This 24 hour news cycle will grow tired eventually and the stereotypes will become truths.

freedom from gov
freedom from gov's picture
Nothing will change with a

Nothing will change with a Progressive movement until the right acknowledges that they have no sense of morality. No sense of fairness. No sense of common will. And you and I both know that that isn't going to happen. So, be prepared to see another clip/youtube vid of something that happened in the past and wonder why things were so screwed up back then. Holding hostages through an election, etc. It....won't...e

first mistake is to think life is fair or can be made fair it isnt and never will be and i have no problem with that its just life is unfair so deal with it and why you think the left has more morals then the right is just plain ignorant there is good and bad people who are consevtive and liberal and just a question for you do you think some how we can as humans become one earth nation? btw we are not ants or bees we will not just do things because we are spose to do things we only do it for a benfit of some sort and you cant change nor do i want to change that in human nature its how we advanice techolcoly

sorry for the real bad spelling its from a learn diabilty that i have no control over

scriber1
scriber1's picture
I hope that you are wrong

I hope that you are wrong about the fizzle after the elections part.  I think that humanity is on the precipice.  There is a restlessness globally and a feeling that something is not as it should be. At least that's the way I'm interpreting it.  What I mean is, people can feel the oppression of world wide corporate domination and that their political leaders are willing accomplices.  I hope that this "spring" movement or 99% movement will gain momentum,  The whole issue of workers and wages needs to be dealt with and are we on this planet to work for corporations or to live decently, and in dignity as human beings.  This particular issue will never get resolved unless workers world wide push for a liveable middle class wage for everyone.  Corporations are global, that is their power, workers or at least their wages should be global.  To clarify, current rightwingers, fascists, whatever label you want to geve them, advocate that wages in America should be lowered to the standard of China so that American workers can compete, I am saying the opposite.  Wages in China, India, etc. should be raised so that corporations are forced to pay a liveable wage no matter where they go. 

That's just one of the outcomes I hope to see.  The fact that OWS exists is encouraging.  Hopefully it will continue well after the elections and beyond. 

freedom from gov
freedom from gov's picture
I dont know any consevtive

I dont know any consevtive calling for the US workers to make the same money a chinies worker dose what we need to do is tax the shit out of companys that take jobs and move them to china and if  the company hides by going off shore then tax the products as they come in with a tarif or vat, some how we need to stop these mega countrys with very low standard of living lower ours I can care less what happens to these countrys workers one way or another i only care about what happen here in the US I know we have a global econmy but that dosent mean  we have to have a global togetherness eaither

Phaedrus76
Phaedrus76's picture
So, you always call for less

So, you always call for less govt, but now you want the govt to tax the freedom to move good jobs offshore?

MEJ
MEJ's picture
I for one will never stop

I for one will never stop pushing that fucking rock. Never. Democracy is a contact sport. You have to expect to take some lumps along the way. Just because you get a little banged up once in a while is no reason to get out of the game. It doesn't matter how hopeless the fight looks. The point is you fight." - Aenod post #33

It's hard not to dispair on occassion when looking out at what appears to be our planet's sixth mass extinction.

Wanderlust21
Great. So we keep pushing the

Great.

So we keep pushing the rock against a futile, non-compromising, brain dead, brainwashed group of idealist troglodytes that will forever accept what the idiot box tells them.

I get it now....

Wanderlust21
Great. So we keep pushing the

Great.

So we keep pushing the rock against a futile, non-compromising, brain dead, brainwashed group of idealist troglodytes that will forever accept what the idiot box tells them.

I get it now....

Wanderlust21
Forget the rock. Destroy the

Forget the rock. Destroy the hill. Time to hit the reset button.

I respect the OWS movement. I just think the cause needs more teeth. Hell, the American people should expose more teeth.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?"