"The American Dream"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
dorfman
dorfman's picture

Thom discussed his friend from Vermont who sharpens saws for $20,000 a year and expects to be rich some day; and said that many poor people expect to get rich and thus want taxes on the rich to be low.

This is a misguided approach.  If you are poor and want to be rich, first, you want taxes on the poor and middle class to be low (so you can accumulate money rather than have the government take it)--after you are rich you can afford the taxes.  Also if you are poor you want good medical care to be available at reasonable cost and you want good educational opportunities for those who don't have money (e.g., government-funded scholarships and grants).  And these require government to spend money and therefore to have revenue.  So it is in the interest of those who are poor and want to be rich to have the governmment provide services and funds rather than to try to squeeze government spending.

Comments

CarolAnnB
CarolAnnB's picture
Thom - I listen to your show

Thom - I listen to your show driving home from work on Channel 127. By the time I catch it, it's usually too late for me to call in but as I listened to your program today on how so many folks are dealing with challenges of simple communication with those on the right, I ran across a post from Slate.com that may explain the distorted thought processes and the teachings, therein. Here is the post: "What I love about Scrooge"  http://www.slate.com/id/2110817/ This is by far, one of the most disturbing reads. Peace & Light -- CA

Garrett78
Garrett78's picture
Robert Jensen on the

Robert Jensen on the "American Dream": http://austin.indymedia.org/article/2011/02/17/robert-jensen-anguish-american-dream

douglaslee
douglaslee's picture
Quote: “What's money? A man

polycarp2
As Dylan shows,wisdom isn't

As Dylan shows,wisdom isn't limited to Phd's...many of whom have none..

I've found my  time to be the most valuable thing in the world. I don't easily spend it on something I don't enjoy doing.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

Garrett78
Garrett78's picture
polycarp2 wrote:I don't

polycarp2 wrote:
I don't easily spend it on something I don't enjoy doing.

Many do, so as to survive. Some do, so as to have far more than they need.

Ixtelan
Ixtelan's picture
Ouch.

Ouch.

Ixtelan
Ixtelan's picture
This is a mangled version of

This is a mangled version of Aristotle's maximum that the poor envy the rich and the rich fear the poor, which is why a middle class is important. The middle class is not so far removed from poverty that it lacks sympathy for the poor, but the middle class expects to become rich and therefore does not want heavy taxes on the affluent.

The larger the middle class, Aristotle mused, the more stable is the polity.

Aristotle had no Ph.D.

John Steinsvold
John Steinsvold's picture
An Alternative to Capitalism

An Alternative to Capitalism (if the people knew about it, they would demand it)

Several decades ago, Margaret Thatcher claimed: "There is no alternative". She was referring to capitalism. Today, this negative attitude still persists.

I would like to offer an alternative to capitalism for the American people to consider. Please click on the following link. It will take you to an essay titled: "Home of the Brave?" which was published by the Athenaeum Library of Philosophy:

http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/steinsvold.htm

John Steinsvold

smilingcat
smilingcat's picture
to answer CarolAnnB, You may

to answer CarolAnnB,

You may want to read a book titled the "THE BIG SORT. WHY THE CLUSTERING OF LIKE-MINDED AMERICA IS TEARING US APART. " by Bill Bishop, Houghton Mifflin, May 7, 2008

In it he explains the phenomenon we see today whereby you and the conservatives speak a different language. His argument is based on very detailed and well researched demographic data.

To dorfman,

It is good to dream but it seems that the poor have drank too much koolaid, and have become delusional. I've tried to understand how they came to the conclusion of "I'm going to be a millionaire". Reality check makes them unresponsive to my comments, and logical thinking. I've more or less have given up in trying to talk/explain/teach them the financial realities.

The mentality of get rich without hard work was pervasive during the roaring 20s and leading up to the crash. Then too, the over exuberance of the mass was undeniable. Perhaps, this behavior is a safety mechanism from being emotionally crushed by the inequity of the times and same behavior is being expressed with similar inequity experienced by todays proletariats.

CarolAnnB
CarolAnnB's picture
Thanks for the insight, cat -

Thanks for the insight, cat - I will check into it over the weekend. Sounds intriguing - CA

Garrett78
Garrett78's picture
George Carlin had a little

George Carlin had a little something to say on this topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsL6mKxtOlQ