White House `Suggestion Threshhold'?

1 post / 0 new

Good afternoon, all...

Listening to Thom ~ August 30, 2011, I typed down notes that the Obama White House has announced that it is accepting `suggestions' from the American public; any suggestion which is offered by 5,000 separate messages/senders will be deemed to warrant further study, and will be `kicked upstairs' to a policy Wonk for analysis and internal discussion. Thom voiced the concern that `nutters' could innundate the White House with votes for bad ideas - but otherwised seemed cautiously optomistic that this offer was for-real.

If this is correct, I didn't get the particular idea-submission link for the White House, and would appreciate suggestions from the show, and from other listeners / viewers. I'd also suggest that the T.H.P. Formus would be a great meeting-spot for concerned citizens to identify & rank-order their personal "Top-Five" or "Top-Ten" ideas for improving and strengthening the nation. And by comparing our ideas to those of others, that we could identify and distill several that would easily reach the 5K submission threshhold.

Off the top of my head, the Top-Five would likely be:

Creation of narrow `job-encouraging' tax breaks which only go to companies & businesses which create genuine jobs (lasting more than 6 months?) for natural persons who are citizens of the United States, which provide goods & services with majority Domestic Content. And wthose jobs must be performed here in the United States - so circulated money remains almost exclusively here in the U.S. (defense contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan need NOT apply);

Expand breaks and incentives to small, non-corporation-form businesses which provide health care insurance to their workers (we currently run a tiny LLC-form business, which gets zero assistance from the current Health Care Reform Act);

Putting an end to corporate personhood - quoting A. Lincoln: "I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow...";

Strengthening Social Security by eliminating the income cap for contributions;

Focus on rebuilding public support for Social Security by hammering on the fact that pensions invested in the stock market are at the mercy of fears, rumors, speculation and manipulation - and have plummeted by 20% to 50% in two sequential crises...while payments by Social Security have remained constant and reliable.

neclark's picture
neclark

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.