Journalism out of control?

8 posts / 0 new

There's a growing number of reports that Patrick Howley, a journalist from the conservative magazine, the American Spectator became involved in the events that occurred at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. Exactly how is unclear.

The basic story is this. According to variousaccounts, the Washington DC version of the "Occupy Wall Street" protest tried to enter the museum on Sunday, where they were met by security guards, told to leave, refused, hit with pepper spray, etc...There was one arrest reported and no injuries. This all took place mid afternoon and the facility closed early for the day as a result.

Yesterday, on the American Spectator website, Mr. Howley, an assistant editor at the publication, wrote of the incident in unusual terms. “In the absence of ideological uniformity, these protesters have no political power. Their only chance, as I saw it, was to push the envelope and go bold. But, if today’s demonstration was any indicator, they don’t have what it takes to even do that.

Also from the original story:

But as far as anyone knew I was part of this cause -- a cause that I had infiltrated the day before in order to mock and undermine in the pages of The American Spectator -- and I wasn't giving up before I had my story. Under a cloud of pepper spray I forced myself into the doors and sprinted blindly across the floor of the Air and Space Museum, drawing the attention of hundreds of stunned khaki-clad tourists (some of whom began snapping off disposable-camera portraits of me). I strained to glance behind me at the dozens of protesters I was sure were backing me up, and then I got hit again, this time with a cold realization: I was the only one who had made it through the doors. As two guards pointed at me and started running, I dodged a circle of gawking old housewives and bolted upstairs.

It didn't take long for the story to spread... Then the story changed. The online version of Howley's article was changed from the original version to this version. Despite requests of both the American Spectator and Mr. Howley, no explanation has been given why the story was changed. This reminds me of the ACORN videos that were put out a few... Read more...

Bill in Dayton

Comments

It looks like the Wall Street Corporate Masters are sending their stooges out to start trouble to take the spotlight off of them and their crimes which so far have gone umpunished. The howley boy needs his ass kicked and good for trying to incite trouble. Treat the(R's) trouble makers like the trash they are and it will make the next ones think twice about disrupting a so far peacefull moverment.

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter

American Spectator Editor Admits to Being Agent Provocateur at DC Museum

UPDATE: Since Howley and the American Spectator were caught and exposed - they have begun a nifty editorial dance to try and rewrite the story - doing away with all of the confessions of unethical journalism and criminal liability. But here is a screengrab I took of the original story last night (anticipating such an attempt): http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy178/cgrapski/StandoffinDC2011-10-0901-42-38.png

.ren's picture
.ren

The American Spectator had a few good years, but it caught the tabloid virus during the Clinton Administration and doesn't appear it's ever fully recovered. Most of it's old guard conservative writers moved elsewhere. Here's an assessment from ten years ago. Probably still stands:

The Life and Death of The American Spectator

The conservative magazine survived and prospered for twenty-five years before Bill Clinton came into its sights. Now the former President is rich and smiling, and the Spectator is dead

.ren's picture
.ren

The felon Okeefe got permission from a judge to leave the state of NJ and was identified in the NY 99% crowd by TPM.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

The felon Okeefe got permission from a judge to leave the state of NJ and was identified in the NY 99% crowd by TPM./james_okeefe_spokesman_says_probation_officer_approved_

He was carrying a briefcase, trying to look banker style, pick a fight, then edit out the provocation, show brietbart your beating, and then fox will spread it.

http://gawker.com/5848408/heres-video-of-james-okeefe-scheming-at-occupy-wall-street

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Why the question mark? It has been out of control since the flipping of Florida election. Well that was their first successful coup de etat.

It's not about news don't you know. It's about rating, money from their sponsor. If you don't have a story create one. More sensational, the better. And if it serves their corporate sponsor, even better.

Fred Friendly, Walter Cronkite, Edward R. Murrow, I am sure are cringing and rolling over in their grave. And Joseph Gobbels is smiling and giving his unconditional support to American "Journalism".

smilingcat

Thom talks about the violent advocate being the plant, and I confirm his experience from the 60's. Do things openly and non-violently. Use ridicule instead of hate because it is much more effective and makes the other side far more pissed off.

As for the "news," today's pimps for corporate simply follow the rules of the news business. When it was lumped in with the entertainment, tv news became part of the advertising instead of our Fourth Estate. Newspapers were debt leveraged into monopoly, so local reporters don't have much to report when the bosses want a conservative business story. We get lots of editorial cartoons making sport of the techie kids manner of protest. But it is curious how the letters take a different perspective with a few exceptions.

United by the general feeling that things are going to hell in a handbasket and that the banksters are at fault, the movement's genius is not to be branded with more partisan issues. Opposing global free trade may be a very populist cause with deep significance, but it is confusing to the casual observer. The general feeling connects where issues and intellect do not. I hope the feeling leads to the latter, but I am in no hurry to brand the movement.

DRC's picture
DRC

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.