OWS is global and has been violently put down in Australia - of all places!!!

6 posts / 0 new

Hi - I am local to Melbourne, Australia and have been following the Occupy movement closely since it's beginnings. I have close friends in the US - and my best friend is Native American and has been very very involved in this movement from it's beginnings in her state. On the 15th October, as in much of the world - we here in Melbourne joined this growing international movement - an awareness that this is a time of change and that much peaceful talk and discussion is necessary to help this change happen.

Yesterday those who were occupying the Melbourne City Square were extremely forcibly and violently removed by over 400 police in full riot gear, police on horseback, and capsicum spray was used. Over 95 arrested. According to our 'Lord Mayor', it was time to "return the city square to the people of Melbourne". Strange - I thought it was being 'occupied' by the people of Melbourne, and as far as I am aware, no-one was being stopped from entering the space or forbidden from leaving it, until police erected barriers around it to prevent those inside form leaving, and to not allow the many coming from outside in support to get in. WHAT is going on???? I have virtually NEVER in my whole life (nearly half a century) seen such an incredible display of authoritarian violence agianst peaceful citizens in this city!!!

Many of us have always thought that we here in Australia are relatively isolated from many of the problems now dominating the US and Europe. It seems that yesterday this illusion was shattered.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/occupation-routed-by-enforcers-and-hor...

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/doyle-accused-of-heavyhandedness-in-ha...

Kallena Kucers's picture
Kallena Kucers

Comments

Seriously? What are you protesting? It is like Flea Bagger Nirvava down there. You can live your whole life on "unemployment" money paid for by other people.

Give a man a fish, and he will riot for more fish.

Calperson's picture
Calperson

"Flea Bagger Nirvana"???

I admit - that is a new concept to me. Guess I'm not so used to personal name-calling.

Maybe if you were a touch more informed about the issues of inequality in Australia, as well as the concept of "globalisation" you would not be so surprised that even people in Australia are capable of understanding the motivations behind the OWS movement and are supportive of it.

Kallena Kucers's picture
Kallena Kucers

Calperson, I think you are missing the point. Being able to receive public assistance as an individual and protesting the greed of banks and multinationals, has nothing to do with the fact that Banks have received public assistance in the form of bailouts, by multiple nations, and thumbed their noses at the people/countires who gave them the public funds so that they would not crash the world economy. What did they do in return, they continued and continue the practices that lead to the current deep recession/depression in the first place. In fact, they have redoubled their efforts. It is truly a global society we live in and they, banks, threaten to suck all the wealth out. collapse the world economy and walk away with no remorse or desire to fix what they have done.

scriber1's picture
scriber1

I'll never understand the pro-corporate welfare, anti-social welfare point of view.

Garrett78's picture
Garrett78

Thank you, Kallena, for bringing us your perspective from down under. The political and economic plutocrats of the world are fairly coordinated through a variety of institutions while the rabble of our world are sorely lacking political cohesion.

When your only tool is a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail. So it may be for the powered elite who have reasonable concern that the masses may become angry violent mobs. It wasn't a pleasant ending for Gadafi

MEJ's picture
MEJ

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.