Rude Behavior In Chatroom

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
brett.iso
brett.iso's picture

I joined this community only a few months back, and I have met many good people in the chatroom in that time. However I have found a few individuals too abrasive and I no longer wish to tolerate their behavior. Growing tired of certain accusations and personal attacks on my character carried out by.these individuals; it is with great sorrow that I will be leaving the community.  

Best of luck in the future, it was fun while it lasted. 

brett.iso

Comments

leighmf
leighmf's picture
Brett- try blogging before

Brett- try blogging before you give up on some good discussions with those in the community who are truly community members! The unmannerly are restricted to one or two word insults and chatrooms are their ideal hangout. Even though they may wander into a blog community, they can't write a whole paragraph about anything informational and are quickly seen for what they are.

It is better to think before you write, and chat rooms have a tendency to develop spontaneous aggressions. Were these to happen in ordinary conversation, there would be no written record to remind one how irritated they are by someone they can't even look in the eye.

In fact, people say things in chat rooms they would ordinarily NEVER say, with an icon, or a shadow picture, or something which may not be them at all to hide behind.

Laborisgood
Laborisgood's picture
Brett: Leigh's advice is

Brett:

Leigh's advice is right on the mark.  Go ahead and leave the chat community, but please join in on a blog discussion.  There are many respectful and intelligent people here.  Don't get me wrong, there may be a stern response to any given comment one might make, but the response is usually filled with a fair amount of supporting material that still leads to further thoughtful discussion.  Chat rooms are tailor made for shallow, sniping comments.  Looking forward to your input.

harry ashburn
harry ashburn's picture
BRETT.  the chat room is the

BRETT.  the chat room is the stock exchange floor, the blog is vacation. everybody needs a vacation.   see you back at the chat room!  there's always the "ignore" button.  'harry

harry ashburn
harry ashburn's picture
also, remember sue threw out

also, remember sue threw out the last psycho, bend over and take it, or whatever his name was.

brett.iso
brett.iso's picture
Thanks guys, I have had time

Thanks guys, I have had time to reflect on things and have cooled off signifigantly. I am still however a little disturbed at the person in question's behavior. In sum their behavior and misplaced anger is counter productive. Team members do not always see eye to eye, however they shouldn't engage in villifying a fellow team memeber without just cause. Take for instance a football game as an example. Let's say the quarterback throws an interception for our purposes. Although admittedly a costly mistake on behalf of the quarterback, accusing the quarterback of being an agent of the opposing team is not nescessarily justified.

That is the sort of the situation I felt that I had encounterd the other day. Only problem is that unlike the quarterback, I did not feel I had made such a mistake, or any mistake for that matter. None the less I still had to endure this persons onslaught. My original statement leading to these arguments was taken out of context and words were added that were not of my own. To top it off some pretty nasty acusations were made and my loyalties were needlessly called into question. 

I will be taking a break from here until I cool completely. Until next time I wish you all much happiness.

brett.iso

Laborisgood
Laborisgood's picture
It ain't a perfect world

It ain't a perfect world Brett.  I'm sure that won't be the last asshole you come across in your life, but let's hope it's the last one you come across in the next few days at least. The more honest you are and the more firm are your convictions will always bring on a little conflict with somebody.  Sometimes you'll be changed by the conflict, sometimes they'll be changed, but either way life goes on.  A little conflict is actually pretty healthy and reminds you that you are alive.  Happy trails.

Fred Wilder
Fred Wilder's picture
It only took me one day to

It only took me one day to come to the same conclusion, but the intolerance, the ignorant assumptions, and abusive polemics are not only absurd, they inhibit reasonable discussion.  I'll not be entering the chat again.  If I've got something to contribute I'll do it on the message board or on the phone. 

Fred Wilder
Fred Wilder's picture
Harry, Why should I bother to

Harry,

Why should I bother to enter chat if I know I'm going to end up ignoring 10% of the discussion simply to avoid antagonizing myself.  Its not that important to me to put up with the nonsense that occurred today.  I gave it a shot, hung out for a couple of hours, participated in reasonable discussions for the first hour and a half, and that stopped abruptly and turned into polemics, misrepresentations, personal insults and generally ignorant behavior by a few folks.  That is not something I care to participate in again, debate is one thing, verbal abuse and generally insulting language is something else entirely.  I'll continue to chat elsewhere. like on Nicole Sandler's site.  I'll continue to listen to show, and contribute on message boards and by phone if I think I've got something of value to say.  The chatroom here just isn't my cup of tea. 

LuvProgress
I saw the same type of

I saw the same type of behavior the first time I logged on the chat. Insults and grade school behaviors I felt were counter productive to intelligent discussion. However, I do believe that some people in progressive/liberal communities are far right conservatives who infiltrate to cause this disruption. I recall watching a program where conservatives were attending a conference and were being told to do exactly this. You know, insult, belittle, and bully in order to turn people away and prevent a group from growing and becoming more informed. Hence turning completely away from a group that is as passionate about progressive beliefs as you are, diminishes the cause for all of us.
Therefore, ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee!

harry ashburn
harry ashburn's picture
hey brett,  i was looking for

hey brett,  i was looking for you yesterday in chat room. remember how you were talking about the boredom of being trapped at home?  i have a great idea!  try out-of-body travel!    there's a technique you can apply.  if you tell me you are coming to see me, i will place a message you can see.!

captbebops
captbebops's picture
Heh, I tried logging into the

Heh, I tried logging into the chat room and the panel came up but nothing else and I couldn't exit from it (had to kill it as a process).   Does it not work on Linux?  Java is running fine on this machine (I do Java development).  Anyway I was trying to drop in and let the show folks know the streams aren't working this morning.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
Well it seems that AddonChat

Well it seems that AddonChat wants the actual Java plugin not the IcedTea OpenJDK one.  That's why it is freezing just in case anyone else is flummoxed by the chat plugin freezing up on Linux.  By disabling IceTea Firefox reproted that either IcedTea or the Java plugin was required but the Java plugin needs to be manually installed.  I need to do more sleuthing because this is a 64-bit machine and Oracle is currently saying that for applets you need the 32-bit version.  I have 64-bit Java installed. Grrr....

Anyway the MP3 stream is back up now.

MarygailLLCXi
MarygailLLCXi's picture
just ignore them

just ignore them