The MOVE TO AMEND Amendment!!

5 posts / 0 new

With all due respect to Rep. McGovern, and Rep. Deutch, and Sen. Udall, the constitutional amendments that they have proposed are all fatally flawed.

The McGovern Amendment is good on ending "Corporate Personhood," but fails, in any way, to deal with the equally vexing problem of money being treated as a form of protected political speech.

The Deutch Amendment is good, but it leaves a gaping loophole when it says that rights protected under the Constitution do not extend to FOR PROFIT corporations. As most Thom Hartmann listeners know, Citizens United, the phony corporate front corporation involved in the Citizens United v. FEC case was set up as a NON-profit corporation.

And, the Udall Amendment, the weakest of the three, only says that Congress may regulate corporate money in politic. It never even attempts to address the root of the problem - "Corporate Personhood."

For those of you who are tired of congressional and senatorial half-measures, and who have been waiting for an amendment that was serious about ending "Corporate Personhood" once and for all, wait no more.

Move to Amend is a group that has been at the forefront of a truly democratic, grassroots, effort to Amend the Constitution so that it clearly, and unquivocally says that "rights recognized under the Constitution belong to human beings, only" and that "Money is not speech. "

Here is Move to Amend's proposed by language:

The "MOVE TO AMEND" Amendment

Section 1 [Corporations are not people and can be regulated]

The rights protected by the Constitution of the United States are the rights of natural persons only.

Artificial entities, such as corporations, limited liability companies, and other entities, established by the laws of any State, the United States, or any foreign state shall have no rights under this Constitution and are subject to regulation by the People, through Federal, State, or local law.

The privileges of artificial entities shall be determined by the People, through Federal, State, or local law, and shall not be construed to be inherent or inalienable.

Section 2 [Money is not speech and can be regulated]

Federal, State and local government shall regulate, limit, or prohibit contributions and expenditures, including a candidate’s own contributions and expenditures, for the purpose of influencing in any way the election of any candidate for public office or any ballot measure.

Federal, State and local government shall require that any permissible contributions and expenditures be publicly disclosed.

The judiciary shall not construe the spending of money to influence elections to be speech under the First Amendment.

Section 3

Nothing contained in this amendment shall be construed to abridge the freedom of the press.

The Move to Amend amendment will clearly establish that, corporations are not people, and money is not speech, and it allows for no loopholes! THIS is the amendment that will put people back in charge of our government, and corporations back in their proper place - subservient to We, The People.

If you like what you read, you can support the Move to Amend amendment, by doing three things: 1) go to http://movetoamend.org/amendment to help us name the amendment; 2) go to http://movetoamend.org/node/2325 to sign our Move to Amend petition; and 3) participate in Move to Amend's national day of action - OCCUPY THE COURTS - on Friday, January 20, 2012.

OTC will be a one day "occupation" in front of federal court buildings across the country, including the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington, D.C. There are currently 23 cities participating in OTC with more cities coming on line every day. To find the OTC action nearest to you, go to www.movetoamend.org/occupythecourts.

We look forward to seeing you on January 20, 2012!

Onward!
Steve Justino
Co-Chair, Colorado Move to Amend
Move to Amend, National Action Coordinator, OCCUPY THE COURTS - 1.20.2012!

Steve.I.Am's picture
Steve.I.Am

Comments

I have been drilling into the internet to see how deeply this blog post - and the MTA amendment language - is penetrating into cyberspace. Here is my favorite quote so far. Its from a comment to a FB page from a person at Occupy Albuquerque:

I listened to Thom talking about this and the folks at Move To Amend have their poop together on this one!!

That made me laugh! And its TRUE! We do!

Thank you for all your "shares," and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Peace, Steve

Steve.I.Am's picture
Steve.I.Am

I thought of putting this in the Atheist discussion, but a little reminder of move to amend and occupy the courts seemed like a better choice. Anyway, the Spiritual Progressives have their own version of an amendment: The Environmental and Social Responsibility Amendment to the US Constitution

MEJ's picture
MEJ

Namaste, MEJ, and to all of my new FB friends at Network of Spiritual Progressives.

The parts your proposed amendment which lay out, not just the right of the People to tightly control, and regulate, corporations, but also, some of the specific details of those regulations, are EXACTLY the kinds of policy discussions that we can, and should be, having if we can level the pollitical playing field, by amending the Constitution to end "corporate personhood" and to say that "money is not speech." And, when we do have those policy discussions - I am on your side!!

With all due respect, though, I don't think that an Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which is intended to be a broad statement of principles, is the proper place to include your specific legislative, and regulatory, goals. The first thing we need to end "corporate personhood" and to "get the money out of politics." Making those structural changes to the Constitution will level the political playing field so that great ideas like yours, can be heard. Then, we can join forces with like-minded people, and get those ideas passed into law.

I know that the existential threat posed by rapidly excellerating environmental damage is emergent. But we can't "put the cart before the horse."

Peace, Steve

Steve.I.Am's picture
Steve.I.Am

506 views! 169 Shares! I'm humbled.

I have posted a slightly modified version of this titled "Why the MOVE TO AMEND Amendment is Better" at Daily Kos http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/26/1040145/-Why-the-MOVE-TO-AMEND-Amendment-is-BETTER!?via=tag and included a Poll Question, asking if readers support the MOVE TO AMEND Amendment. If you like our language - in my opinion THIS is what an amendment that is serious about ending corporate personhood, and getting the money out of politics looks like - please take a moment to go to Daily Kos and to vote in the poll!

Thanks in advance. Peace.

Steve

Steve.I.Am's picture
Steve.I.Am

Currently Chatting

Why the Web of Life is Dying...

Could you survive with just half of your organs? Think about it. What if you had just half your brain, one kidney, half of your heart, one lung, half a liver and only half of your skin? It would be pretty hard to survive right? Sure, you could survive losing just one kidney or half of your liver, but at some point, losing pieces from all of your organs would be too much and you would die.