Green 960 in going off the air on Jan 3

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
John Weaver
John Weaver's picture

Clear Channel is taking down Green 960 and replacing it with another right wing set of programing.  This is just what the Bay Area needs - it's 3rd station broadcasting Glen Beck etc.  The channel is moving to a secondary station that is broadcast on the HD2 107.3, which is only available to people with HD radio's or on the web.  This is such a big loss for the progressive community and in a very important election year

Comments

captbebops
captbebops's picture
It will be interesting to see

It will be interesting to see if it will stir up as much commotion as KGO changing format.  There was an "Occupy KGO" last Thursday.  I wonder if this is happening throughout the country?  Are the corporatist radio owners making their move so that only a very restrained and one sided political voice can heard?

John Weaver
John Weaver's picture
Here is the latest news as

Here is the latest news as reported by Brad Friedman on Brad's Blog By Brad Friedman on 12/21/2011 2:23pm  Clear Channel Allows Progressives to Stay on Air in San Francisco, but Adds Glenn Beck to Line-UpGreen960, redubbed KNEW 960, to become 'home of misfit, or at least mismatched, toys', says one insider...

You might call it splitting the baby. Sort of.

Progressive radio will be allowed to remain on our public AM airwaves in San Francisco, though with major schedule shake-ups, the removal of its popular progressive branding and several bizarre additions to the line-up, including far Rightwing extremists such as former Fox "News" phenom Glenn Beck in the place of what had been one of Green960's most popular morning shows.

The latest move in the strange back-and-forth saga follows on radio giantClear Channel's announcement just over two weeks ago, that Green960 --- the only AM Progressive Talk Radio station on the dial in San Francisco, one of the nation's most progressive cities --- would be banished from the popular public airwaves and sent to the radio-ghetto of the little-known and even lesser-received HD2 band. Its progressive programming --- featuring the likes of popular lefty-ish talkers such as Stephanie MillerThom HartmannRandi Rhodes,Norman Goldman and Mike Malloy --- would be replaced (with the exception of Rhodes, who is syndicated by Clear Channel's Premiere Radio) by yet another so-called "conservative" talk station, featuring extremists such as Beck and other Fox "News" regulars.

The move by the media conglomerate, now owned by leading GOP Presidential candidate Mitt Romney's Bain Capital, LLC, was to occur on January 3. The move would have left Rhodes as the only progressive voice on the entire AM dial in San Francisco, as of the first business day of the new Presidential Election year.

But a funny thing happened on the way to 2012 on Bay Area talk radio...

'Uncanceled'

As The BRAD BLOG reported in our follow-up last week, plans to move programming from Clear Channel's "Fox News Radio" KNEW 910 in San Francisco over to the 960 spot, where Green960 currently is, and to shuffle off the progressive 960 talkers into Radio Nowhere Land came to a quiet, if sudden pause last week.

CC, we were able to confirm, had decided to rethink its plans in the wake of the sudden sea change of programming at KGO, a long-time staple talk station in the San Fran market, featuring a well-loved mix of conservative, libertarians and moderate talkers. That change was announced just days after CC's original announcement.

Overnight, Cumulus-owned KGO released virtually all of its talk show hosts --- several of whom had been on the station for decades --- to flip the station to a more inexpensive all-news format. The move resulted in a lot of angry KGO listeners (to add to the already-angry Green960 listeners) and put a whole bunch of Bay Area talk radio ratings and talk show hosts up for grabs in the major broadcast market.

The result led to reporting at industry outlet All Access that "several sources" had informed them that "several of the shows scheduled to be dropped" from 960 had suddenly been "uncanceled."

Through our own reporting and information from insiders very familiar with Clear Channel's plans, we were able to confirm that their previously previous intentions had come to a full stop as the move was being reconsidered.

Yesterday, CC finally announced its newest plan in a press release published by All Access.

According to the statement, virtually all of Green960's current line-up will now be allowed to stay on the air in San Francisco, though the brand-name will still be changed and both Beck and Right-leaning financial talker Dave Ramsey will be added to the schedule in place of the current morning drive-time shows on Green960.

Beck is also syndicated by Clear Channel's syndication arm Premiere, and Ramsey is, according to one insider (though we've not been able to confirm it with Clear Channel) is now paying to be on the air in that time slot.

The new "KNEW 960" will use the tag line "Opinions. Finance. Advice."

Beck is scheduled to replace Stephanie Miller's very popular morning program from 6a-9a PT, with her live show scheduled to be delayed for evening broadcast instead, from 7p-10p PT. Thom Hartmann, who currently airs live from 9a-Noon in San Francisco, will also be delayed, running late-night from 10p-1a, though he is not mentioned in the release at All Access. His live slot will be replaced with Ramsey.

Similarly not mentioned in their release is the fate of Mike Malloy, whose show is currently broadcast live from 6p-9p on Green960. We're told that he will now be shuffled into the early morning hours of 1a-3a, with one hour of his three-hour broadcast lost to San Francisco entirely in the bargain. [FULL DISCLOSURE: I have been Malloy's regular fill-in guest host for several years, and am currently scheduled to once again be on board for him this Friday night before Christmas, and the following Thursday and Friday as well.]

The Malloy move is a strange one for Clear Channel as well. In 2010, Green960's then Program Director had told us that Malloy was his "best performer" on the station, presumably referencing the shows standing against other stations during the 6p to 9p hours.

Most of the other progressive talkers on the current line-up, including Randi Rhodes from Noon-3p and Norman Goldman from 3p-6p, will be allowed to stay where they are now, in their live time slot.

'Free Market, My Ass'

Though we sought comment on the new new news from the bulk of the current 960 progressive talkers, they all declined to respond on record, though Miller discussed the new changes on her show this morning.

The popular host and comedienne, whose radio side-kicks John Fugelsang and Hal Sparks have been touring the country with a sold-out "Sexy Liberal" comedy show for several months, leading to the release of a comedy album which debuted last week as the #1 comedy album in the nation, gently decried the Green960 changes and her replacement by Beck.

"They tried to take me off the air before in San Francisco," Miller told listeners. "There was such a demand that we were back on in...about a week or two." She went on to describe the moves in San Francisco, generously, while broadcasting from Los Angeles' Clear Channel affiliate station, as both "a mixed-bag" and "a little puzzling."

She encouraged listeners to express their thoughts to Clear Channel "respectfully", explaining that at least her show was not removed entirely, and adding again that listener feedback has had an effect on the giant media corporation in both San Francisco and other markets in the past.

Miller cited Clear Channel's plans to remove progressive talk from the public airwaves recently in liberal Madison, WI, a move they also changed their minds about. The station, The Mic 92.1FM, she says, is now the #1 talk station in the Madison market.

Stephanie Miller's full comments on the Green960 shake-up today on her show [appx 6 mins, hat-tip "Shane-O" Farnan]...

Miller also quoted a BRAD BLOG commenter who responded to our initial news about Green960's cancellation by writing "'Free market', my ass."

The comment alludes to the long-time, well-supported charge from progressives --- asdetailed in our initial report on the Green960 shake-up --- that they have been largely squeezed out of the corporate-controlled radio market, not based on a lack of interest in progressive programming, but by a lack of interest from the corporate entities who now control almost all of our public airwaves in the wake of the 1996 Telecommunications Act. There is, as we have long noted, no real free-market competition allowed anymore in talk radio, as major corporations such as Clear Channel often own both the "competing" Rightwing and Progressive radio stations in the same markets.

'Mismatched Toys'

Previously, after CC had initially announced its now-aborted plans to strike virtuallyall of its progressive programming from the AM dial in San Francisco, Rhodes, the only progressive who was to have stayed in place on 960, found a bright side to the shake-up that would have otherwise silenced almost all non-Rightwing voices from the AM public airwaves.

"It does look like the beginning of the end of 'conservative format purity' has started," she told The BRAD BLOG via email. "That's a change in the industry that I've been fighting for for a long time and I'm happy to be part of it."

The newly announced line-up at 960 also seems to signal the end of "progressive format purity", at least in San Francisco for the time being, if Clear Channel sticks with their newest plans.

The seemingly bizarre additions will result in Beck, who has often said that hates progressives, seeing his "hate radio" programmed side-by-side with many of those same progressives, a strategy questioned by an insider who will be directly affected by the changes.

"Apparently," the insider observed via email, with an allusion to the Christmas season, "the new 960 KNEW is the home of misfit, or at least mismatched, toys."

Whether those mismatched toys, or rather, their listeners, will be able to play nicely together on the same radio frequency is a question that remains to be seen.

Over on 910, the previous home of KNEW, which is now to be re-branded as "NewsTalk 910 KKSF", Clear Channel has snatched up two of the layed-off KGO refugees, non-partisan "Radio Lawyer" Len Tillem and Gene Burns, a libertarian seen as leaning somewhat to the left. They will fill out a schedule which includes at least one former Fox "News" Radio host.

"Recent changes in the talk radio market gave us the opportunity to adjust our plans for 960 KNEW," said CC's San Francisco Director of Operations, Don Parker, according to All Access. "We are excited to broaden 960 KNEW’s position to appeal to a wider variety of Bay Area listeners."

In his initial statement two weeks ago, announcing that Green960 was scheduled to be moved off the AM dial to the HD2 band and replaced with the hard-right leaning KNEW, Parker had touted the move as an "opportunity to expand our footprint in this crucial arena as we head into an election year [with] a population increasingly engaged in local, state, and national events and activism."

It looks like what All Access had described as San Francisco talk radio's "earthquake" may keep rumbling for quite a while in the Bay Area...

captbebops
captbebops's picture
Thom not live will cause a

Thom not live will cause a lot of trouble too.  I see an Occupy KNEW coming up.  Note again form the article that Mitt Romney's company now owns Clear Channel.  Let's make some trouble!

xcxv2
xcxv2's picture
R.I.P. to a perfect all-star

R.I.P. to a perfect all-star live lineup

ImprobableTodd
ImprobableTodd's picture
I've listened to Thom since

I've listened to Thom since his pre-Air America days at Portland's KPOJ, and I can't believe he's being nudged out of a live slot that I've relied on ever since I moved down here. I hope that Stephanie and Thom get their slots back after a couple months of 0.013 ratings for their "replacements."

Hey, I've got it! Why not have Beck and Thom doing alternating segments? True, it would be frequently infuriating and death to advertisers, but it would be interesting to hear both of their takes on breaking news. Segment 1:  Thom analyzes developments and pieces them together with facts. Segment 2:  Beck takes the tiniest kernal of one of the least significant facts and blows it all out of proportion, adds a dash of indignant paranoia, and draws an irrational conclusion nowhere near the original topic. Segment 3:  Thom's guest adds more knowledge and insight. Segment 4:  Beck's careening stream of consciousness has him farther and farther from the true meaning and significance of the event, but it somehow allows him to get to his pre-conceived conclusion.

What one learns here is the difference between fact and spin, with the exact direction of the spin providing insight in the the Rove/Luntz wordsmithing sent down the pipe that day. Together it's almost performance art, until you realize that Beck half-believes everything he says. His ego is far bigger than truth.

And Beck's Mormon pontificating (he he) when compared to Thom's religious honesty quantifies just how far a "Christian" can get from "live and let live." 

Actually, what we'd all like to see is Beck and Thom face to face. Of course Beck would never let it happen, but maybe that will be the future of right-wing radio. As 80% of America finally realizes just how evil the GOP is, and how vile their mouthpieces have been, the only way Beck could keep his ratings would be by receiving a frequent comeupance from witty liberals. A runaway ego going off the rails regularly, painting himself into a corner hourly, and searching for pitty frequently; even I'd listen to that....

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
  A perfect example of why we

A perfect example of why we need to regulate corporate giants.

tayl44
tayl44's picture
The corrupt 1% is taking no

The corrupt 1% is taking no prisoners,there backs are at the "empire graveyard".Progressive media need to bring together the 99% and progressive rich to create a "new media".As this bankrupt system fall over the cliff,you can expect the corrupt 1% to become "even crazier"! Progressive media,now is the time to do your "own thing"! Go to countries for help that told this corrupt system to go to hell."Seize The Time"! Let the "corrupt 1% go to hell by themselfs"!

Sprinklerfitter
Sprinklerfitter's picture
tayl44 wrote: The corrupt 1%

tayl44 wrote:

The corrupt 1% is taking no prisoners,there backs are at the "empire graveyard".Progressive media need to bring together the 99% and progressive rich to create a "new media".As this bankrupt system fall over the cliff,you can expect the corrupt 1% to become "even crazier"! Progressive media,now is the time to do your "own thing"! Go to countries for help that told this corrupt system to go to hell."Seize The Time"! Let the "corrupt 1% go to hell by themselfs"!

Go after the sponsers. No money from them no radio programming.

One of the few ways you can get the attention of the 1% is to get in their wallets. If the money starts drying up they will be forced to change their ways.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
Then apparently conservatives

Then apparently conservatives are stupider about spending if conservative radio makes more advertising money than progressive talk.  But then we go back to square one which says that conservatives need a continuous loop to listen to and progressive don't.  Maybe the best progressive talk is what hosts like Karel does and that is to talk about more than just politics.  Otherwise you're kinda preaching to the choir and the choir doesn't need to do the same tune over and over.

The problem is the group who listens particularly to neither but when finding something to listen to can only find the fascist point of view. There's the danger.

Of course this morning we get "recycled Thom" instead of a guest host.  Guess nothing is happening in the world so last weeks news will do.

tayl44
tayl44's picture
Spin,you`re right,but getting

Spin,you`re right,but getting the people motivated? Capt,you might have the answer,the right use emotional issues,the left use intellectual issues.The left need to mix both and tie them to beyond politics. Example,abortion,how many stories can be told about that issue that`s progressive? The same for gun control,or immigration? People love a good story and learn at the same time.

bokiluis
bokiluis's picture
This is quite disturbing. I

This is quite disturbing. I am an avid listener to Green 960. So much so, it is not unusual for me to listen to the live broadcast during the day, and the re-broadcast later in the evening. It is crucial in an election year. I am a big supporter of The Bill Press Show, The Stephanie Miller Show, Thom Hartmann and Randi Rhodes. I won't miss Mike Malloy or what's his name currently in the 3:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. Time slot, Norman Goldman with their anti-Obama rants. Malloy is one miserable b*stard, almost impossible to listen to. And Goldman comes across as a loud mouth, no nothing whiner. Farewell to both of themBut please keep the rest ofthe line-up.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
I love the way Malloy skewers

I love the way Malloy skewers conservatives with his impressions of them.  Bill Maher ought to have him on because he fits well into Bill's political satire.  However during winter Malloy on Green 960 due to a weak signal gets hijacked by Canadian hockey games.  The real "you know what" will hit the fan when progressive listeners tune in next Tuesday even though some hosts have mentioned the change though Green 960 hasn't been trumpeting it.

norgotoad
norgotoad's picture
Kenneth Burke, in his 1939

Kenneth Burke, in his 1939 article entitled "The Rhetoric of Hitler's Battle," wrote:

"What are we to learn from Hitler’s book? For one thing, I believe that he has
shown, to a very disturbing degree, the power of endless repetition."

This article was written in 1939 (i.e., before Hitler became "Hitler!").  When Hitler was adored by the likes of Lindy and J.P. Morgan and the rest of the Eastern 1% of their day.  Burke presented a rhetorical critique/assay of Mein Kampf that outlined the mechanics of Facist Unification Rhetoric (FUR) that is being used today by the current 1%.  Another big element is the essential need for ONE VOICE so the population cannot even concieve of other points of view.  Add a bit of Orwellian newspeak and we have the conservative "movement" (which it is the antithesis of any movement).  Burke's essay depicts the blueprint for fascist propaganda that is now the practical totality of what the media is spewing.  Oddly enough many "progressives" are OK with this.  They say "hey I'll get progressive information online via streaming, or on HD FM radio..."  In other words, putting a pretty face on the ugliness of ghetto-izing ideas.  It's the ol' "as long as I am OK, all is well..."  So the Rosenbergs were taken in middle of the night, as long as I am OK all is well... and hey look at that new real estate that is on the market!  So Jim Crow is barring some blacks from voting, but as long as I am OK, all is well...  Ancient history... yeah right.

Clear Channel is a corporate fascist organisation in every sense.  They are firmly in the 1% gang.  They know Americans are fundamentally stupid, autistic, and ignorant.  That assumption has worked for the past 30 plus years as a winning assumption as evidenced by 2 terms for W, and the current election of the tea bagger congress.  It's not class warfare, it's the 1% gang versus the 99% gang only the 1% gang is winning and kicking butt; the 99% gang is drooling and "slowly getting it..."  Oh yeah, the 99% are getting it... upside the head and down the other side. By the time the 99% catch on to what the 1% has done, I wonder if there will be enough America left to turn around.  The 1% is betting that by the time the 99% get a clue, it will be solidly game over: TL squared (too little toooo late).  I hope they are wrong.

norgotoad
norgotoad's picture
Hear! Hear!!  KNEW--now

Hear! Hear!!  KNEW--now that's a misnomer isn't it?

tayl44
tayl44's picture
You can bet your last dollar

You can bet your last dollar the 1% is wrong,the empire "graveyard"  is proof.What can the 99% do to keep from going to hell with them? Start a 99% Public bank/credit union,until we stop giving them(1%) our money,they`ll keep controlling the 99% I like Molloy and Goldman, they speak more then truth to power. Control the message,control the people,that`s the 1% number one game plan.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
I just salute them with my

I just salute them with my middle finger.  Everyone else should do the same and be as non-compliant and obstinate as possible.  What are they going to do?  Starve us to death?  Given that many Americans are overweight that might not work out so well.

tayl44
tayl44's picture
White we giving them the

White we giving them the finger,we need to be forming a group to finance a progressive media empire.We need to get attention to 99% about the importance of who control the message,control the people.The top progressive media hosts should go on a public relation movement to get MSNBC & Freespeech TV to have a radio counter part and they can get the 99% help and patroitic millionaires help. What about rich progressives outside country? We do this,then they might,excuse me,they`re already staving us to death,they might release NATO on us. 

MissMarple
MissMarple's picture
They own the Press, and they

They own the Press, and they can put whatever they choose on it. But we can tell them what we think of it. I think that any station that puts a racist, anti-Semite on a station in ANY market, is racist and anti-Semitic.

Ron Paul said he had NO IDEA what was printed in the News Letters that were mailed out under his name, from which he and his family made millions of dollars. He had no idea that they were racist and anti-Semitic; he was not the editor, only the CEO.

Clearchannel has no such excuse, if that is an excuse. It deliberately, and with great effort made these changes, knowingly, intelligently, and I'm sure with legal counsel. There is no doubt that Clearchannel knew and knows of the nature of the comments that are made by Glenn Beck; that is why they hired him. Broadcasting others, who may also include people on the Right, who are not racist or anti-Semites, does not give them cover. You cannot be a Corporation that is a little bit racist. You cannot be a Corporation that is a little bit anti-Semitic. You cannot be a woman who is a little bid pregnant. There are laws against Corporations with that problem, and a law of Nature against such a woman's problem.

I know nothing about the person who will take over in the next slot, but I know a great deal about Beck. I know he lost all of his sponsors on TV except gold. I plan to listen from time to time to write down the name of the sponsors, and let them know what I think of companies that sponsor race hate and anti-Semitism. Going to Israel to talk to a hundred people, won't wash the blood from his hands. Keeping on moderate and progressive people won't wash the blood from Clearchannel's Letters of Incorporation.

Dr. Econ
Dr. Econ's picture
Just in time to present news

Just in time to present news on the Iowa Caucus.

Isn't that a coincidence?

captbebops
captbebops's picture
Funny thing was that while

Funny thing was that while listening to Malloy on Green960 last night they played a promo by Thom saying the show is 9 AM to Noon.

dana_b
dana_b's picture
I am so upset about this! the

I am so upset about this! the Bay Area is without a progressive station?! Well, there is no need for a radio in my car anymore as far as I'm concerned.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
Yup, I turned over to KQED FM

Yup, I turned over to KQED FM when driving and they were discussing the SF Giants move to San Jose and if there is one thing that is absolutely boring to me it is sports talk.  Just dug out the FM transmitter so will use it tomorrow.  I bet that CC will find they made a big mistake and their KNEW revenues won't be as good as the KKGN revenues and may even have to revert back to the progressive format in a few months. Either that of this really is a Republican putsch in operation.

think_r
Woke up at exactly 6:08 this

Woke up at exactly 6:08 this morning to Glenn Beck & his guest ranting about wanting to bring down the EPA (how ironic) -- have had the station formerly known as Green 960 as "Favorites on Startup" on iheartradio pretty much since I got iheartradio going on my phone (although I like to listen to Thom on his app because I'd rather get his news than the SF news, not being a Bay Area resident).

I heard the first glimmer of it last night during the Stephanie Miller repeat 9-12 PM: a station tag of KNEW was snuck into the commercial spots.  I think they were mixing it up -- I was still hearing the Green 960 teasers for Randi, etc.  Also, the Green 960 site was online as of last night, but now the KNEW "news, finance, talk" (going from memory -- I think I got it right) site is up on green960.com.

Norman Goldman has been defending the move, saying Green 960 is moving to an FM HD 2 station. He sounds like he is just toeing the party line every time he does it -- he's so outspoken otherwise that it's a bit out-of-character every time he tries to mollify his Bay Area callers -- frankly, it just sounds fake.

Are HD stations available on iheartradio?

Here is a cut-paste of the email address for comments on programming.  I already sent my comment:

ccrsfo2qke@clearchannel.com

think_r
Now Green 960 (i

Now Green 960 (i mean...KNEW...) has Mo (?) Ansari's "Market Wrap" pay-to-play show going in Mike Malloy's 6 PM slot.  Does the term "neither fish nor fowl" mean ANYTHING to the programmers there?

As if the Bloomberg Market Minute wasn't enough (is that KTLK 1150 LA or 960?).  Either way, I don't own any stocks, so why the f... do I want to hear about them?  And if I was playing the market, you had better bet I wouldn't wait around for some stupid 2 minute news capsule on a talk station...

Is there a Mike Malloy show programmed live (6-9 PM PT) on iheartradio?  760 Denver was playing sports, KPOJ had something else (Norman Goldman rerun, I think).  There doesn't seem to be a Mike Malloy app for iPhone, either.  Tried 880 Asheville, too.  Help!!!

stopgap
stopgap's picture
Ironically, one group of

Ironically, one group of progressives that might quietly be applauding the changes at 960 are those at KPFA, FM. of Pacifica Radio. Since the advent of Air America and other progressive shows on commercial radio, Pacifica Radio has watched as their listenership has shrunk and donations have dwindled.

With the changes at 960, it is likely that hundreds of thousands of progressive listeners will flock to KPFA, FM for the morning lineup which includes such legendary progressive reporters as Amy Goodman and several other very talented broadcasters whose shows are often highly detailed and often very insightful. I think Thom's show is also broadcast on Pacifica Radio.

During fund-drives hosts at KPFA have gently warned listeners at the peril of switching to commercial radio.Even with excellent progressive shows.

I personally would suggest to fans of Green 960, that they check out the morning line-up at KPFA, especially Amy Goodman.

If the ratings at KPFA skyrocket, Clear Channel might regret their change of  programming sooner than they anticipated.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
I'm an Android user (and

I'm an Android user (and developer) but I'd be surprised if the iPhone didn't have a Shoutcast type of app where you could listen to Thom realtime via his MP3 stream and Malloy  realtime via the White Rose Society stream.  It was a pretty bland day for me to as I just turned the car radio off.  Last time I tried KPFA it was bluegrass music not talk.

The Republican putsch is well underway.

Jsjjane
OCCUPY ADVERTISERS, SAN

OCCUPY ADVERTISERS, SAN FRANCISCO!

nimblecivet
nimblecivet's picture
Unfortunately I have not been

Unfortunately I have not been as active in the Green 960 community as I should have been. What I can say about my own recollection of things however is that it is somehow Randi's fans who were the most organized. It was they who were most effective at keeping a more radically progressive and left-wing lineup. I'm not sure if John Scott's leaving may also have been a point at which this became inevitable. Thom came to Green 960 well after the fight to keep Randi on during the day and Mike Malloy on at night was fought (no disrespect to Jerry Springer or Montel, or Al Franken for that matter). Since Randi is on during the day, I'm not sure that there is the organized fan base to pull off an effective protest.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
I think Randi is still on

I think Randi is still on because of the syndication firm who probably has the station tied down to her contract and she could disappear after it runs out.  However like I said earlier this may all blow up in Clear Channel's face and they may find the original Green960 lineup more profitable.  But once again there aren't that many liberals who feel they need liberal talk radio on all day to confirm their ideas, conservatives apparently do.

think_r
Today neither "Green" 960 nor

Today neither "Green" 960 nor KNEW 960 (or any 960) is on iheartradio San Francisco.

Listening to AM 950 Minneapolis through their app.  No more "Crap Channel..."

think_r
Incidentally, did anyone hear

Incidentally, did anyone hear the Norman Goldman conversation about the Green/KNEW changeover?

He did a big discussion with a caller (pretty much a full segment!) about the ratings book and 960's need to switch it up during the day to widen the listener base & improve the "cume" -- and how 960 has just not pulled the kind of ratings (relative to the market size) that KPOJ or 760 Denver have pulled.

Also, he name-checked Thom very specifically as to his outlook on NPR.  According to Norman, Thom's point of view is that NPR cannibalizes the progressive audience to the point that for-profit progressive programming can't develop as a cohesive force.  The obvious subtext is that of NPR's rep as a milquetoast, declawed entity.

So I went and checked out the standings -- I had no idea so many people listen to Morning Edition and All Things Considered, even after the ADM (?) controversy of the early 90's which pretty much (this is secondhand info) took away any desire from those at NPR to ask the tough questions.

cosmiquemuffin
cosmiquemuffin's picture
Go after the sponsors.  If

Go after the sponsors.  If they want more profit, hit 'em where it hurts. Respectfully, but let 'em know how it affects them.

340 Townsend St 
San Francisco, CA 94107 
415-977-0960 - Telephone (CALL THEM!!!! I just got through with no waiting!)
415-538-1000 - Fax 

Email for programming: ccrsfo2qke@clearchannel.com

Email for sales: ramonagutierrez@clearchannel.com

Web form for advertising - I put in a fake company and let my feelings be known. http://www.960knew.com/cc-common/YourAdHere/

Again: be respectful.  You are probably not going to reach the scumbags at the top with these contact methods.  Most likely these are folks that were doing work for Green960 and are now being forced to knuckle under the new format.  DO flood their inboxes, though.  It gives them hard evidence that the changes are awful and their loyal listeners are dropping like flies.

Things to mention:

1) Have bought products before that were advertised during Green960 (Bonus: mention your demographic and how much you spent)

2) Will contact each sponsor on http://www.960knew.com/pages/sponsors.html and tell them you will boycott their products until the format changes back

cosmiquemuffin
cosmiquemuffin's picture
Go after the sponsors.  If

Go after the sponsors.  If they want more profit, hit 'em where it hurts. Respectfully, but let 'em know how it affects them.

340 Townsend St 
San Francisco, CA 94107 
415-977-0960 - Telephone (CALL THEM!!!! I just got through with no waiting!)
415-538-1000 - Fax 

Email for programming: ccrsfo2qke@clearchannel.com

Email for sales: ramonagutierrez@clearchannel.com

captbebops
captbebops's picture
KPOJ has a much stronger

KPOJ has a much stronger signal than Green960.  When I was driving up to spend a weekend with friends at Cannon Beach a few years ago after Air America went on KPOJ they were promoting their signal power increase that was to happen the following Monday.  Green960 has only a 5 KW signal which is pretty dismal in the Bay Area and may also have some directional issues (done to not conflict with other stations).  I believe KPOJ was able to increase to 20 KW which makes for a helluva difference though they may have to drop the signal power at nights to keep the airwaves from becoming too cluttered.  Comparatively KGO is a 50 KW though has a directional antenna which can mean that even in some parts of the Bay Area may not be as strong.  KGO runs 50 KW all the time and why even as a kid I could listen to them at nights in Washington state.

Station strength can make a helluva difference in the ratings and revenue and Clear Channel put the progressive talk on low power orphan station.  And radio isn't the cash cow it used to be (neither is TV).  Then there is the issue that the conservatives need to be constantly programmed by the neocon cheerleaders or they'll wander off course.

think_r
If you're looking to keep up

If you're looking to keep up with the live progressive radio:

(All times PT)

3-6: Bill Press on KTLK 1150 (iheartradio)

6-9: Steph on KTLK

9-12: Thom on his app or KTLK

12-3: Randi on KTLK

3-6: Norman on Denver 760 (iheartradio)

6-9: Malloy on AM 950 Minneapolis (individual station app)

This was Green 960's schedule (plus Steph repeat 9-12 and Randi repeat 12-3).

If anyone has a station app suggestion for this schedule (like 950) that will keep us off the Crap Channel iheartradio, please post.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
Randi did an interesting rap

Randi did an interesting rap in her third hour today about Clear Channel, how it was started and what has happened to it.  Sounds like it is in deep trouble financially.  That's probably why all the haste to change things.

think_r
I caught that one, too.  I

I caught that one, too.  I think a lot of that is a sign of the American corporate times -- the layoff was of about 2,500 people, and if you average out Limbaugh's (reported) earnings, it works out to be a pretty good ballpark figure for cumulative earnings for these 2,500 employees.

--

What if the "cancer stage of capitalism" hadn't been reached in media and in the American sociopolitical sphere -- "cancer stage" being the moment at which "big" entities have to suck up so much in absolute terms to stay on a "growth" footing that, by virtue of throwing their outsize weight around, they suck the oxygen out of the room, squelching innovation within the marketplace?  Re: Telecommunications Act of 1996, which set the stage perfectly for oligarchy within radio.

What if the German "50% of the board on a large corporation comes from labor" rule was in place, forcing Crap Channel to at least reckon with labor?

What if union labor was respected and encouraged within companies and in society as a whole, as it used to be 50 years ago?  Would Cheap Channel have kept everyone working if the (ummmmmm...) "talent" was on the picket line as well?

Everyone is "in trouble" -- recessions call for a "cash is king" philosophy, so all business entities scale back and try to be the "last one standing" -- you'd have to have a heck of a bankroll to "go out on a limb" right now.  But Corporate Channel is owned by Bain Capital.  They're going to do NOTHING that wouldn't make sense on a quarterly report.  If the industry was in an absolute crisis mode (like, say, record stores in 2003 -- staring down the "end of an era"), not even Rush Limbaugh would make Oprah-sized checks -- the money just wouldn't exist.

Don't get me wrong -- I am very familiar with the entertainment and media industries, and all these folks (traditional media marketers) look like rats trying to climb to the top of a sinking ship to me.  But those licenses for those flamethrower stations are still a hell of an asset, and a mass-market exploitable listenership is still active, unlike, say, the audience for mass-market music CD's.  At gas stations & stoplights, you still hear those DJ's and talkers.  Folks like to be connected (somewhat locally) and to stay current -- perfect for radio.  "Demand" has not left the building.

Quote:
In his 2010 book The Buyout of America: How Private Equity Is Destroying Jobs and Killing the American Economy, Josh Kosman described Bain Capital as "notorious for its failure to plow profits back into its businesses," being the first large private-equity firm to derive a large fraction of its revenues from corporate dividends and other distributions. The revenue potential of this strategy, which may "starve" a company of capital, was increased by a 1970s court ruling that allowed companies to consider the entire fair-market value of the company, instead of only their "hard assets", in determining how much money was available to pay dividends. In at least some instances, companies acquired by Bain borrowed money in order to increase their dividend payments, ultimately leading to the collapse of what had been financially stable businesses.

farbie
farbie's picture
I'm with stopgap -  KPFA must

I'm with stopgap -  KPFA must be having a big increase in its listenership, especially in the AM.  I miss having Stephanie Miller on the lousy Green 960 signal, but KPFA is a good alternative for those tired of the same old non-news conservative crap. Amy Goodman and Democracy Now! is a good show!

I have read elsewhere on this blog about moving to KTLK.  Where is it on the AM dial, and can we get it in the mid-Peninsula?  One of the biggest problems that I have had listening to 960 AM is its transmitter is partially blocked by YBI in the middle of the Bay Bridge - as a result, the signal from South Burlingame to Belmont is weak, even in the middle of the day.  It's useless to try and listen to 960 after 5 p.m. in the winter, at least in the mid-Peninsula area.  I was told years ago by a Clear Channel employee that they were "soon upgrading" the transmitter and its location.  That was in 2005!  Of course, the transmitter upgrade never happened. I'm sure that most listeners couldn't be bothered listening to a weak signal.

I don't know about the future of this country - at times I am optimistic, but currently I am very pessimistic about its future.   Our corporate bandits have stolen everything from us, especially the jobs, and have stolen our future as a result.   They truly want to impose fascism, as it currently exists in China, and export it to America. 

captbebops
captbebops's picture
Farbie, the only way to stop

Farbie, the only way to stop that future from happening is to stand up to it.   Pessimistic view would indeed be being slaves to a bunch of one dimensional corporate rulers.  Hopefully the publc would realize they have nothing to lose and would rise up violently against that.  After all, what would they have to lose? 

The other scenario is the karma of the corporations coming home and they all go down in bankruptcy.  It's been mentioned here that Clear Channel is in bad financial trouble.  I doubt it will be rescued.  Their karma along with the major media outlets is to go down. 

Right now the network execs are nervous because day by day people are choosing to watch less broadcast TV and instead find a good movie online.  Their cash cow has died and about time!  And when people don't have any money to spend then what happens to companies like Walmart?  They go down too.  See the corporate types aren't so bright after all.

Occupy the future!

think_r
Quote:I have read elsewhere

Quote:
I have read elsewhere on this blog about moving to KTLK.
I mentioned it as my home station (SoCal) -- sorry...I posted my "How To Hear Green 960's Old Schedule," but that's only useful if you're doing the smartphone thing or listening online.

If Crap Channel goes out of business, can we buy a piece of the spectrum in a major market at fire sale prices?

I'm curious -- has anyone heard a peep on the subject of HD radio in Green 960's place?

captbebops
captbebops's picture
Any HD mention is missing

Any HD mention is missing from the KNEW 960 page:

http://www.960knew.com/main.html

You will of course see Thom listed from 10 PM to 1 AM.

What would be great would be for the corporate media conglomerates to collapse and local owners to take over again with lots of local programming.  But these days listening (and viewing) options are so diverse that AM radio is quickly falling by the wayside.