Thanking Veterans for their Service

2 posts / 0 new

Hello all.

As a reply to a right-winger on the Mike Malloy blog, I posted a video clip of a Veteran of the Iraq debacle expressing his wish for people wanting to thank him for his service. I thought I'd post the link here as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqv7831RnnE

Please feel free to discuss and share the link for further discussion elsewhere. I think it is important to hear this kind of expression from Veterans, and not just the generic corporate-speak that is allowed to be published.

Fruit-For-Peace's picture
Fruit-For-Peace

Comments

Treatment and encouragement vs. recruitment tool.

Another example of either incompetence or dishonesty.

Given all the time and resources which have been consumed to put together the current PTSD treatment campaign it’s hard to believe that it is accidental that it pays more attention to future recruiting than to the those it pretends to be wanting to reach.

Only civilians could think using a term like “Warrior” could have a psychological benefit to the wounded.

This terminology is known to appeal to adolescents and while it is useful as a recruiting tool, those who have experienced war have already matured past that point and, if anything, seeing the term may exacerbate feelings of having been lured/tricked into signing up – or get them upset over the prospect that the same scheme is roping in their younger brothers, cousins, etc. while they should be devoting their remaining strength to recovering from the damage done to them by their was experience.

Typical of feel-good-but-do-nothing P.R. campaigns, it completely ignores the perspective of the people the campaign claims to be helping. It is reminiscent of the embedded message in the national toll-free number for suicide prevention (1-800-273-8253). Looks harmless enough, but you can see how if a soldier’s superior thinks it is bunk, they can say: “Oh, here’s a number you can call for help – that’s 1-800 APE -TALK.”

And in the PTSD Helpline: 1-877-877-3647 (1-877- U.S. Penis).

With all the resources available to the U.S. Government, how is it possible that they can’t come up with a non-insulting number that is easy to remember (it will be needed by people when they are severely stressed).

My suggestion from a couple of years back has gone nowhere (1-800-462-8837 = 1-800-I matter) could route to any existing number setup, like APE-TALK. And 9-1-1-7873 = 9-1-1-PTSD with each jurisdiction routing as made sense in their area with a national default provided.

This kind of change, where a sincere effort is made to view the situation from the prospective patient’s field of vision is what can reach those in need, assuming that is the actual goal.

As the Veteran points out, "Thank you for your service" only brings up memory of the service. "Welcome Home" contains genuine warmth and focuses on going forward not looking back.

Rodger97321's picture
Rodger97321

Currently Chatting

Who Should an Economy Serve?

The top one percent own half of all the world's assets. In stark contrast, the bottom fifty percent of the world owns less than one percent. According to the 2014 Global Wealth Report from Credit Suisse, global inequality has surged since the 2008 financial collapse. The report explains that while global wealth has more than doubled since the year 2000, the vast majority of overall growth has gone to those who were already wealthy.