How to escape poverty

36 posts / 0 new

There are no answers that are 100% effective. But their are things that people can do to increase their chances. But the challenges of inner city life make some of these things very difficult. The first example is not so difficult. Just don't do it.

1) Stop having babies before you are married. You don't have to lay with any man who shows an interest. There is no reason to have eight kids with five different last names. All this will do is perpetuate the misery. Please stop.

2) Take school seriously. Study hard and graduate from high school. This will take a lot of effort in the inner city, but is can be done.

3) Learn to speak proper english.

4) Respect your women. Do not refer to them as "bitches and ho's."

5) Obey the law. Never put yourself in a position to be arrested.

6) Stay off the drugs. Doing drugs will get you arrested, kicked out of school, shot, or pregnant.

It all starts with number one. Until we get control here, it will be an uphill fight. Maybe we should stop paying people to have babies.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Comments

I really think you outdid yourself, rigel1.

The poverty rate is a mainly a function of the economy. Although blacks are more likely to be in poverty, most people in poverty are non-black. Most people go in and out of poverty and welfare along with the rise and fall with the economy. Lately, of course, it has been worse.

Being highly educated is certainly a way out of poverty for many. Beyoind this, however, your post is sort of racist. Why should blacks have to stay off drugs, not speak the language they like, get married, never get arrested, to simply get out of poverty? Rush Limbaugh takes oxycotyn and gets off scott free. Bill Gates dropped out of college. English speakers get to mangle the English language anyway they choose. And extra marital sex? What else do non-black college kids do these days?

So basically your asking blacks to be so well behaved that they don't scare white people. Yes, that strategy works for some, bujt it is a bit sickening that our society forces blacks into that position just to escape poverty.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Um wow, I re-read Rigels post and I didn't see anything pertaining to "race", nor did I see anything that was targeted at "blacks" as you so charmingly put it.

I would say that he supplied a list of 6 universal truths that work for all people regardless of race, and that your reading into, and apparent obsession with "blacks" says more about you than it does about rigel1.

Calperson's picture
Calperson

Cal.....you kinda dense......HuH?

Doc knows what was meant and so do I, number 4 is a great example.

If it wasn't targeted at a certain group of folks he should have made it clear from the start. His intent is pretty clear to me who his comments were directed at.

Inner city, bitches and ho's is pretty obvious to me who he is talking about. Third sentence in #1 is obvious as well unless you're pretty dumb.

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter
Quote Dr. Econ:

The poverty rate is a mainly a function of the economy. Although blacks are more likely to be in poverty, most people in poverty are non-black. Most people go in and out of poverty and welfare along with the rise and fall with the economy. Lately, of course, it has been worse.

Being highly educated is certainly a way out of poverty for many. Beyoind this, however, your post is sort of racist. Why should blacks have to stay off drugs, not speak the language they like, get married, never get arrested, to simply get out of poverty? Rush Limbaugh takes oxycotyn and gets off scott free. Bill Gates dropped out of college. English speakers get to mangle the English language anyway they choose. And extra marital sex? What else do non-black college kids do these days?

So basically your asking blacks to be so well behaved that they don't scare white people. Yes, that strategy works for some, bujt it is a bit sickening that our society forces blacks into that position just to escape poverty.

You are over thinking this doc. I did not intend this to be directed only at blacks. Blacks do refer to their women as "bitches ond ho's" more often than whites, so I understand how you came the this conclusion.

You mentioned Limbaugh. You believe that he got away with something. Maybe he did. But life is not now, nor never will be fair. I hate the word "fair." It's for a make believe world. People should not destroy there own lives because someone else got away with it.

I mentioned those six items because I firmly believe that if done, people will have a better chance of escaping povery. So you actually believe that people are better off and have a better chance if they continue to live this way. Sorry Doc. I just can't imagine that.

rigel1's picture
rigel1
Quote rigel1:
Quote Dr. Econ:

You are over thinking this doc. I did not intend this to be directed only at blacks. Blacks do refer to their women as "bitches ond ho's" more often than whites, so I understand how you came the this conclusion.

You mentioned Limbaugh. You believe that he got away with something. Maybe he did. But life is not now, nor ever will be fair. I hate the word "fair." It's for a make believe world. People should not destroy there own lives because someone else got away with it.

I mentioned those six items because I firmly believe that if done, people will have a better chance of escaping povery. So you actually believe that people are better off and have a better chance if they continue to live this way. Sorry Doc. I just can't imagine that.

I am not going to prove that I am not racist. There is nobody in this forum less racist than me. NOBODY.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

So, life is not fair, stay off drugs, unless you are a rich white guy, and speak well of women, and don't have premarital sex, you will escape poverty.
If you want to end poverty in America, end free trade, jail illegal employers, and require govt purchasing to meet domestic content standards.
I know many upper income, moderately wealthy people who spent much of their youth screwing around and smoking pot. Heck, Newt Gingrich and Rush Limpy are good examples.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Really, you have the answer to avoiding poverty? Or is your list just a (very thinly) veiled racist and stereotypical right wing rant? I'd say...the latter. My only response is fucking unbelievable rigel1

mdhess's picture
mdhess

Rigel.......I'd say you know how to do the crawfish shuffle like most other wingnuts do. A crawfish is a lot like your typical repugnut. When they feel threatened their pinchers come up, when they are confronted they retreat backwards. Having fished with a number of them over the years I've learned their habits pretty good. Remove their claws and they are defenseless and generally they head for the nearest cover to hide in, under or behind and wait for the predator to leave before they can safely come out of their hiding.

Sprinklerfitter

#1 What about having 8 kids all at once with the same last name- it sure made Kate Goosling rich. Plus, she didn't get them with a "lay" as you say. Plus, she's not married to the father.

leighmf's picture
leighmf

If Americans want to escape poverty, they should move to Denmark.

United States: Sixty percent of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. The bottom 80% of American households holds 7% of liquid financial assets. Over 40 million Americans are on food stamps. Stories of a collapsing middle class are rampant among America’s most cherished publications: Atlantic Monthly, Time, Arizona Republic, LA Times, NY Times, and a Pew Charitable Trust report in the Washington Post. These articles bemoan the crumbling state of America’s middle class.

Denmark: The Danish Cooperative Movement, which is a means of economical organization under leadership of consumer and/or producer-controlled corporations wherein each individual member owns a part of the corporation. According to the Wall Street Journal, and the Heritage Foundation, Denmark ranks 11th among the world’s most free economies. According to U.S. Department of State data, “… its standard of living is among the highest in the world, with a GDP per capital of $58,500, making Denmark the 18th richest country in the world.” The overall tax burden in Denmark is 46%. The Economist claims Denmark is one of the most competitive economies in the world. The mixed economy, including a large welfare state, ranks as having the world’s highest level of income equality, and its living standards are above the European average. Maybe this is a viable alternative to retrograde Banana Republic status.

Robert Hunziker earned an MA in economic history at DePaul University. He lives in Los Angeles.

Full article here: http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/02/03/third-world-capitalism/

It should be noted: "The Reagan agenda continues to haunt the poor and the middle with little relief for a federal government starved for revenue as federal tax receipts as a percentage GDP are the lowest since the 1950s, referred to as ‘Starving the Beast’ by Supply Side republicans."

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2
Quote mdhess:

Really, you have the answer to avoiding poverty? Or is your list just a (very thinly) veiled racist and stereotypical right wing rant? I'd say...the latter. My only response is fucking unbelievable rigel1

Unbelieveable? Really? Okay what part of what I said is wrong? I named six actions that could help the poor escape poverty. The fact that you believe that they would be better if they continue to engage in this self destructive behaviour is unbelievable. It seems that you would like to keep the poor right where they are.

Speaking the truth is not racism. As I said before, there is nobody in this forum less racist than me NOBODY. Unless you have some real evidence you can take that lame assed charge and ram it up your arse.

If you're looking for racisim you may want to look in the mirror.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Apparently they have the list in Denmark. Good to know soci economic conditions are irrelevant and one need only to follow a list. Also rigel you should probably add- Let the racist cops in your ghetto know that you are following the list when they profile you

Semi permeable memebrain's picture
Semi permeable ...
Quote Semi permeable memebrain:

Apparently they have the list in Denmark. Good to know soci economic conditions are irrelevant and one need only to follow a list. Also rigel you should probably add- Let the racist cops in your ghetto know that you are following the list when they profile you

I have seen no evidence that the cops are rascist. It would be very difficult to get away with. The mayor is black, the police chief is black, a large pecentage of the police force is black .And pretty much everything they do is on video. I would say engaging in rascist behaviour would be a bad career move.

You are not being honest. I NEVER said that socio-economic factors were irrelevant. I simply mentioned some things that might give people a better chance.

Ya'll keep on ignoring the topic. What of my six recommendations would not be worth trying?

rigel1's picture
rigel1

And you believe it was not racist dog whistle crap? Unbelievable, except the oblivious blindness of racism is not self-evident to your effing goggles. The lies inherent in this post alone should be part of a racism 101 introduction to White BS. How well do you know real black people who live in inner city poverty? Do you appreciate that those who sell drugs have mostly White, middle class buyers? Do you think affirmative action is unfair to White men? Who have enjoyed the most robust affirmative action advantages for hundreds of years.

I suppose you buy into the welfare Queen myths too. In my experience, rich frat boys do all the above and more, but they get away with it and are hired by their daddy's friends. They have no excuse in poverty and racism, but they also don't have a bunch of self-righteous aholes giving them advice on succeeding.

Did you know that the CIA brought crack to the ghetto? Do you appreciate why black men are over-represented in jails or are they all just failed dopers? White blindness is very hard to cure. You are an idiot and a racist fool. Dittohead jerk.

DRC's picture
DRC

Sure, there were black overseers on the Plantation too. The job of the cops is to keep the natives under control. Fear of slave revolt is old hat. People who know the streets become cops or criminals, and the former often want to prove their worth by beating up on the niggers. I know black teachers who are super hard on black teenagers who they see as a bad example compared to their own striving. Uncle Tom syndrome is about being OK with the White Massa.

I suggest you pay attention to Cornel West and Michael Dyson for some basic education about being black in America. Or just listen to some of what Al Sharpton has to say. Did you ever watch Chappelle and get what he was presenting? I know you don't know any better, but that is not enough.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote DRC:

White blindness is very hard to cure. You are an idiot and a racist fool. Dittohead jerk.

Probably not your best moment DRC. That's okay. We all have bad days.

But I am still confused. Do you think that folks in poverty should continue engaging in the behavior that I mention or would changing their ways increase their odds of success? People are dancing around the issue and won't commit. What do you think?

rigel1's picture
rigel1
Quote rigel1:
Quote DRC:

White blindness is very hard to cure. You are an idiot and a racist fool. Dittohead jerk.

None of my black friends, my daughters black friends who have slept in my house and eaten at my table think that I am racist. But since DRC (who has never even met me) has declared that I am, then it must be true. All hail DRC!

Probably not your best moment DRC. That's okay. We all have bad days.

But I am still confused. Do you think that folks in poverty should continue engaging in the behavior that I mention or would changing their ways increase their odds of success? People are dancing around the issue and won't commit. What do you think?

rigel1's picture
rigel1

I do a lot of research in education and adult outcomes to education in relation to a whole host of other social factors including race, class, social capital, teen pregnancy, etc., etc,

I can say unequivocally that most of what rigel1 has said here is complete bullshit. The one concession that I will make is that it is much harder for teen moms to pull themselves out of poverty. HOWEVER, the implication of the statement is that girls in poverty get pregnant and middle class and upper class girls don't - COMPLETE BULLSHIT. The difference is rates of ABORTION and the ability to support the child after it is born.

Second, teen pregnancy aside, the rest is COMPLETE BULLSHIT. Among all factors - education, etc. - the HIGHEST CORRELATED FACTOR in your SES status as an adult is the SES of your parents. In other words, even if you stay in school and graduate college and get straight A's all the way through, a person's adult SES will more likely duplicate their parents SES DESPITE their educational outcomes.

The fact of the matter is, the ECONOMIC SYSTEM has a very high tendancy to duplicate SES class from generation to generation no matter what you do. Now... this is not 100%. Do people pull themselves out of poverty? Sure. Whatever. The issue here is the fact that the US is NOT a meritocracy. Rigel's post implies that if you simply do 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 that you WILL be in the middle class. Nothing could be more ridiculous. Completely unsupported by the countless studies done on this phenomenon.

Try again rigel. Maybe you should read more.

ah2

He left out a couple:

7. Learn to tap dance

8. Learn to scat

chilidog

I think that rigel1's list is good parental advice but has very little to do with escaping poverty. There are too many factors involved with poverty to have some sort of plan to avoid it. There are even lottery winners who have found themselves in poverty and they have unknowingly "complied" to rigel1's list.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

So if poor people just follow your six simple steps, they won’t be poor! Really?

Rigel, I hate to break it to you, but, YOU ARE RACIST! At least your post is. Additionally, your article is very condescending. African Americans in general, as well as other people of color, are victims of racism, which is a contributor to a lower standard of living. If not, why is it that one of the largest employment agencies, Kelly employment services, was exposed for screening out minorities from jobs a couple of years ago. This was done in collusion with some potential employers who were clients of kelly’s Services. Why is it that the pay of African Americans, doing the same jobs as whites a fraction of what white people make, 72%? There are other historical factors but what I’ve listed is enough.

scriber1's picture
scriber1

DRC, well said and thank you!

scriber1's picture
scriber1
Quote chilidog:

He left out a couple:

7. Learn to tap dance

8. Learn to scat

9...Don't forget the crawfish shuffle........

Sprinklerfitter
Quote scriber1:

So if poor people just follow your six simple steps, they won’t be poor! Really?

Rigel, I hate to break it to you, but, YOU ARE RACIST!

Sorry scriber but you have earned the title of racist. I am offended when people call other people bitches and ho's I can't help it. I find it appalling and it does more harm than good.

As said before:

None of my black friends, my daughters black friends who have slept in my house and eaten at my table think that I am racist. But since Scriber (who has never even met me) has declared that I am, then it must be true. All hail Scriber!

If I heard anyone refer to them as "bitches or ho'"s they would have one pissed off Marine to deal with. Not sure how the hell that is racist.

As I said. there is no body in this forum less racist than me. NOBODY.

Why do you want poor people to be left in poverty. Why don't you want them to do everything they can to get out? It is because

YOU ARE A RACIST!!!!

And you like them right where they are.

I am looking for solutions. You are looking for blame. Get over yourself.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Hi Rigel, you do know you didn't quote me fully don't you. I left room for doubt by concluding "at least your post is". (racist)

I notice you have stated a couple of times that you have black friends and your children have black friends. That proves nothing. Some slaves loved their slave master. Racism is not just blatantly calling someone the N-word or hurling racial epithets. It is an attitude, like the condescending tone of your article that suggests that by following six easy steps, you, dear poor person, can pull yourself up by the bootstraps and never be poor.

Race, class and generational poverty are historical complexities that play a significant part into why a person is poor. Your continued statement that you are only offering solutions does not mean what you offer is correct or even worthwhile. As you can see, many on this thread disagree with your 6 point analysis and have at the least accused your expressed viewpoint of being racist. You have been referred to Michael Eric Dyson and Al Sharpton for a fresh look at solutions. Clearly since you keep saying people need to offer solutions counter to what you have suggested, you have rejected these solutions. The conclusion can be made that you want no other opinion but your own.

Also, not every or even most, poor black males refer to women as "bitches" and "hos". Really? Generalizations like these lead one to conclude your post is, and perhaps you yourself are, racist.

scriber1's picture
scriber1

rigel, everything you said could be said to cracker white meth heads with greater sociological evidence than your advice to black people. Poverty is more than something personal responsibility solves, and it is not confined to any race. Racism does add to the difficulty poor people have doing what it takes to escape poverty; but the responsibility of the citizens of America is to end the conditions of poverty so nobody has to add that burden and those hurdles to the equal opportunity cons are supposed to love.

Contrary to your self-image of being fair, honest and decent, you have shown another side in this and some other posts. I will treat you with respect when it is appropriate, and I will call you out when you act as you have above.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote DRC:

rigel, everything you said could be said to cracker white meth heads with greater sociological evidence than your advice to black people. Poverty is more than something personal responsibility solves, and it is not confined to any race. Racism does add to the difficulty poor people have doing what it takes to escape poverty; but the responsibility of the citizens of America is to end the conditions of poverty so nobody has to add that burden and those hurdles to the equal opportunity cons are supposed to love.

I completely agree with what you have said. I never meant this post to be about race. Sure, "bitches and ho's" is used by some whites, but is mainly a black expression. If this led people to believe that I was only speaking of blacks then the mistake was mine.

I base my opinions on my life experiences. For example:

I work for a fine company. We employ many people of all races and backrounds. One thing that they have in common is they are ALL educated and they all speak proper english. This is not my opinion. This is the way the world works. If you are educated and speak proper english you will have 100x more opportunity than if you are not. Sure, we need to help the poor, but if they did a little to help themselves they would have a much, much better chance of success. Every single item that I mentioned is spot on. All six rules, if followed will give anybody a better chance of escaping poverty. You can give your opinion but you cannot say that what I see is not real.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

It is just beside the point in many ways. I think you would be wise to avoid appearing racist when you mean otherwise, but your post was redolent of cracker rhetoric and that is how it was read. The Salvation Army preached againist booze and called for thrift. Who could argue, but it was also not very compassionate or realistic about the lives and work of those for whom the boilermaker was the drug of choice. Hedges tells us why magic is the more powerful answer for the hopeless worker trying to make it on crumbs. Expecting a marginal increase in the minimum wage to be the hope that inspires is foolish. They respond better to the idea that they are part of God's Holy Army of the Millennium. My point is that moralistic advice may be "good" but irrelevant to the pain and human reality. The real answers to poverty are not to make the heroic struggle the great moral example. They are to relieve those burdened with those obstacles so they can aspire and see real gains from their efforts.

Dealing drugs ought not be the best way out of poverty for ghetto kids, but it often is. I would also say that going into investment banking instead of teaching is not the best way to wealth for the advantaged. Yes, it does get the wealth but not for value added. And, it is a large part of why there is poverty in the first place.

I support a generous social foundation of security and opportunity. I think investments made in education, healthcare, affordable housing and good community infrastructure pay off for me in the quality of the country I get to live in. If the Right had any idea or intention to end poverty, they would not oppose all that is required. Instead, I find rich people deeply angry and resentful about having the poor gather the crumbs from their feast. That is sick. Being our brother's keeper comes with being human. Our humanity can be measured in our ability to identify with "the least of these." All the world is not worth the price of our humanity. I think this stuff is basic wisdom, but it is rejected by the Right and the rhetoric of mine and me.

If you have worked with poverty and the people who deal with it I think you will gain a different vision of what is needed. You will also discover a remarkable degree of self-discipline and frugality among them that the suburban family would never be able to practice or survive.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote scriber1:

Hi Rigel, you do know you didn't quote me fully don't you. I left room for doubt by concluding "at least your post is". (racist)

I notice you have stated a couple of times that you have black friends and your children have black friends. That proves nothing.

Also, not every or even most, poor black males refer to women as "bitches" and "hos". Really? Generalizations like these lead one to conclude your post is, and perhaps you yourself are, racist.

Perhaps I'm a rascist? Perhaps you are. Perhaps you are nothing more than a typical liberal, name calling, character assasin. Those lame-assed strategies are not going to fly anymore. Noting is easier and takes less guts then name calling. But you appear to be up to the task.

You got one thing right. Having black friends proves nothing. That's good cause I have nothing to prove. Can you prove that you are not racist? Based on your posts, I'm fairly sure that you are. Prove that you are not.

I did not generalize.You whiffed badly on this one. I merely said that it is wrong for people to refer to other people as bitches and ho's. Never said every poor person does this. In the interest of honesty, you may want to withdrawl this comment.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

In the short amount of time I've been around here rigel you've done a damn fine job of proving everything you post is pure wingnut propaganda. Congratulations on a job well done!

Sprinklerfitter

rigel, man up to your racist dog whistles. You may wish to repent of them, but you cannot make them into something they are not. It is ok to learn and change. It is not ok to act as if you never said it or that it does not mean what you said. Unless you are practicing to run for office as a GOPimp. This seems to be the common quality of their candidacies. Gotta love the videotape.

DRC's picture
DRC

Okay. I have said not a single racist thing. Not a one. As a matter of fact I did not bring up race at all. YOU DID. I am not obsessed with race as you are. You all know this too be true. You use the same worn out insults You claim you are the ones who get to decide what racism is. You and you only.

HOW ARROGANT!!!

You know what racism is? It's people like you who claim that minorities do not have the ablility to control their destiny.They need you and that's exaxctly the way you like it. You would prefer to have them in their place so you can use them as political tools. That is racism at it's worst.

I named six things that people can do to help themselves and you all go berserk. You fail to render a single coherent arguement as to why what I suggest would not be helpful. Not a single one. Instead you take the typical cowardly liberal stance, point fingers and scream racism.

I don't think that you despise my ideas because you are afraid they will fail, you despise them because you are afraid they will work.

As forrest gumps said. "That's all I'm gonna say about that."

rigel1's picture
rigel1

I'll bet ya $100 we ain't heard the last of your nonsense.......Wanna bet?

GOPimp.....nice sound to it.....HuH?

I'll throw in troller and you're now GOPimp Troller.1

Sprinklerfitter

rigel is not always absurd. He may be sincere and shows promise at times. I want to see more before I throw in the towel.

DRC's picture
DRC

Rigel, you have called me racist, outright. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. That’s beside the point. Okay, you say your intent was not racist but to give poor people a bit of advice. I’ll take you at your word. However, the statements you made are dog whistles that racists use when they don’t want to overtly decry that their whiteness means they are superior. These are the types of statements usually made by “polite” racist, who know it’s wrong to be overtly racist, but still believe in white superiority. For example, when the statement is made that someone is unemployed because they don’t speak proper English, they are usually referring to African Americans or Latinos.

Stop having babies? The stereotype here is that young black girls are promiscuous and have no other ambition than to have babies.

Obey the law and never put yourself in a position to be arrested. That is a fine thing to say on the surface. However, just walking alone at night as an African American male is “cause for suspicion” to a racist cop. So a black man is never to go for a walk in his neighborhood? There are thousands of cases of young black males being arrested for a crime when they were not in the area the crime was committed, did not match the description of the reported offender, etc. Why do you think there is an increasing number of people who were wrongly convicted being released with the help of the Innocence Projects and other organizations?

Ask yourself this, would you apply these six steps of advice to poor whites in the Appalachian Mountains or poor whites in trailer parks? Are there pervasive stereotypes of poor whites in the Appalachians referring to their women as bitches and hos? Or not taking school seriously and studying? Not speaking proper English? Maybe you didn’t intend it, but you did pick out all of the stereotypes directed towards people of color. You made no analyses. You did not take into account past and ongoing complexities of race and class.

Btw, for all you know, every person responding to what you have said could be a person of color. You don't have to be a person of color to recognize racism or fight against racism.

scriber1's picture
scriber1

Currently Chatting

Are Killers Still In Charge Of Our Healthcare?

Malcolm MacDougall is dead, but he left us a really important message before he died.