Hundreds of thousands of people protested austerity across Spain on Sunday

4 posts / 0 new

From Greece to the U.K. to now Spain. Hundreds of thousands of workers took to the streets in 57 cities across Spain over the weekend to protest the Conservative government’s new austerity package and labor reforms. As many as a half-million people demonstrated in Madrid alone according to reports.

Alongside new spending cuts – the Conservative government is slashing severance pay for workers and making it easier for companies to opt out of union contracts. Before the European debt crisis – Spain’s unemployment rate stood at just below 8% - but today it’s above 22% - which is the highest in the developed world. And as we’ve seen elsewhere across Europe – and in the United States – slashing government spending and taking money out of working people’s pockets only makes the situation worse.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

A Turkish graduate student told me she was amazed by how reluctant Americans were to go into the streets and riot about the crimes of the banksters and the MIC. We need to pay attention to those who have been there before and know how to tell the fascists to go to hell. Our domesticity is not a sign of our moral superiority. I am not for mindless violence, but I think some calculated expressions of anger might get the appropriate attention of those who think we can just be screwed and told to roll over for the next in the gang rape. Even if the ones being raped cannot fight back, we don't have to stand around and watch passively.

DRC's picture
DRC

I hope they had a nice time. It's good to get fresh air now and then. I also like to take a nice drive every Sunday.

^^bitter sarcasm^^

nimblecivet

Not sure what you think is funny about your post. Or sarcastic either. People who have recent and personal memories of fascism do not sit by and let it happen. I think we could learn from them.

DRC's picture
DRC

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.