Just how insane is Rick Santorum

23 posts / 0 new

He thinks the Devil is attacking the US, with the first front being "academia".

http://vixenstrangelymakesuncommonsense.blogspot.com/2012/02/wow-rick-sa...

He thinks mainline Protestentism is not following god.

He was serious.

He equates homosexulity to bestiality.

He thinks conraception is 'not right', and would allow the states to outlaw it.

Is this guy really going to be the Republican Nominee?

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

Comments

It's great ain't it? It illustrates the success of right-wing media.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

Fortunately, Santorum is way too far out there for the average conservative on a lot of these religious issues. I think the misogyny is also going to backfire on MacDonald in Virginia, and the contraception dance does not go down well with Catholics.

What is worth appreciating and understanding about Santorum is that he is sincere and unvarnished in what he says. For those in the cult, it is feast food. He says it without even dog whistling, he just barks it in pure form. It is the merger of rabid Opus Dei and Dominionism, and in those stories Satan is out to get us and uses moderates to do his evil. Note the typical cult radical need to have Satan loom over the "real enemies" who are used by him. It was how the "com-symps" became more dangerous than Communists. You can find similar tendencies on the Left where anyone who does not get radical enough is worse than those who are completely opposed. Instead of a broad coalition of people able to see that there are evil forces at work, but also willing to join together across diversity to form pluralistic community, Santorum appeals to the purists who are the only ones who "get it."

What I recognize is that Satan tends to work through those who are most convinced they are in opposition and most certain about their own morality and 'salvation.' It is easy to fall into the temptation to cut through the bs and do away with the uncertain and the process to achieve the sacred goal. The temptations Satan offers Jesus are to do very good things, but the wrong way.

It is also tempting to many to have Obama portrayed as misguided and being used rather than as a purely evil force. We can see the Cheney as a pure psychopath willing to cut through opposition to do what he knows is "right" without qualms of conscience. Again, it is the temptation to do big good things more than the tawdry criminality of greed or a lust to kill. PNAC is couched in the idea that history demands American power and that the people are not up to the challenge unless they are "led." I think Santorum is also possessed and with his hands on power would do whatever he felt God desired no matter what. The difference is that he appeals to actual religious nuts and not to the dogmas of the powerful in terms of 'realism.'

Santorum is in line with the C Street Family and the Power Jesus, but he brings radical sexual 'purity' and fear of the womb along with it. Where the Beatitudes or the Sermon on the Mount figure in this 'biblical' theology is hard to figure. What they do believe is that America is God's Vessel in history to play out Divine Intention and that they are called to rescue America from the faithless. I would not laugh without also taking care, but I will laugh because it helps reveal the ridiculous.

Thanks to Dan Savage, we can all appreciate the true nature of a Santorum Surge.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote Laborisgood:

It's great ain't it? It illustrates the success of right-wing media.

Yes it does. He is with out a doubt an idiots....idiot

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter

Assuming Santorum is the nominee, I'm going to be really ticked if his sick ideas are not front-and-center in Obama's campaign.

Art's picture
Art

Malloy read this article on his show last night in regards to Santorum. There's some good stuff and sources on how these right wing creatures exist.

http://www.truth-out.org/right-wing-id-unzipped/1329147417

You can download Altmeyer's paper "The Authoritarians" by clicking on the link in the article.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

I am too young to remember JFK vs Barry Goldwater, but I heard that back then the fear was that a Catholic President would turn over control of the US to the Papacy. Now, the righties demand it.

And, this is the utterly retarded people I fled, people who believe a cum stain is the equivalent of a child, that a blastocyst is the same as a human child. They'll argue that a petri dish with fertilized eggs is sacred human life, that cannot be used for stem cell research, even to the point that the cells get incinerated!

The modern GOP, building a bridge to the 11th century.

Santorum is leading Rmoney by 8 points nationally, and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad by 11.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Someone who called Thom's show today called him Rick "Sanitarium"

She was spot-on! lol

Keeku's picture
Keeku

Dyslexia interfered when his identity was emerging.

He grew up thinking he was Sick Rantonem.

He's got the spelling correct now, but as one of Whitney's songs goes..."can't run from myself - there's no where to hide..."

I still believe that if he hadn't been a High Public Official at the time, those hijinx with the 1/2 lb. dead fetus and their children would have brought Social Services into high gear and folks would have taken a serious look at whether it was safe to leave children in the custody of such a pair.

Rodger97321's picture
Rodger97321

DRC notes:"What I recognize is that Satan tends to work through those who are most convinced they are in opposition and most certain about their own morality and 'salvation.' It is easy to fall into the temptation to cut through the bs and do away with the uncertain and the process to achieve the sacred goal. The temptations Satan offers Jesus are to do very good things, but the wrong way."

Food replies:

That statement is incredibly rich. It makes one wonder if you ever read what you write here.

It reminds me of the themes represented in a very old film which starred Spencer Tracy and a book by Daniel Quinn. In the first, Tracy can be seen thundering away at a religious buffoon whose ideology is so rigid and inflexible the its decrepit norms find itself always spiraling toward personal denial.

Its ideology is always the same regardless of its origin (left or right); it is an ideology which ultimately degenerates into nihilism and narcissism. For example, the blogger who is mesmerized by his or her computer screen tirelessly fixated on some political forum; or any bought and paid for politician whose entire existence is measure via polling; the authoritarian personality who is ubiquitous in cyber space and beyond, whose life mission is to keep the world safe from impure thoughts not driven by the prism of his or her self- righteous ideology.

In fact, Daniel Quinn indentifies this type of character who lives in a cage but never recognizes his or her captivity in a system that more or less compels them to destroy the world. They cannot see outside of their self constructed box, and to actually do so invokes the worst kind of fear for them. T rue rebellion, righteous rebellion is seen as bad form; or as a vice, only to be employed as a means to insure that the easy and disposable life he or she is addicted to continues. Much like an animal in a zoo, he or she is anxious about the very idea of the cage door opening for good. In fact, he or she will bite the very hand of their liberator. Plenty of food, and much diversion are nevertheless accepted.

Any morality or sense of duty that he or she might develop is a commitment to the survival of self or his immediate family or comes from traditional religion. Failing planetary systems is nothing more than a formula of eternal salvation.

These types are always acting out by substituting moral or righteous indignation with violence, passive aggression, incessant complaining, or insufferable whining. There is always too many actual progressives, environmentalists, activists living and working where he is used to whining about every other thing that does not fit neatly into his rigid and inflexible world view.

All of this is nicely demonstrated in Tracy’s speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECITwTYSIsg&feature=related

FoodForAll's picture
FoodForAll

Yes, I do understand what I write here, and while I often agree with your larger analysis, I also often find you too ready to knife those closest to you who do not quite agree while you could agree to disagree about fine points to agree about the big things. Because I know how the cult radicals on the Right operate, I try to avoid being their mirror image. I agree with your handle, for example.

DRC's picture
DRC

Should we all pray now that Rick Santorum gets the nomination?

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ

If we want to have it out with the religious warriors, this would be the way to do it. They will not compromise or crawl back into their holes; and they will not decrease their intensity under Santorum. The primaries have made the war what we will get, but with Romney it would be in the soft and flip flop version of political cynicism. Santorum will gird his loins and put on the full armor of God, or what he thinks God has issued as armor and weaponry.

Still, I would like to see the defeat of the warriors without having to go full tilt boogie down the crusader path. Maybe the primaries will be enough to convince Americans that we have to try religious freedom and civility instead of feeding these fanatics with the idea that they have a chance to convince enough of the people to make it worthwhile to run the Santorum. Virginia is already going over the edge, well going down the rat hole because they went over the edge a while back.

The question I ponder is whether those who want to be nice will be able to face down the bullies? The Auden analysis of "the worst are filled with passionate intensity while the best lack all conviction" applies too aptly to give me comfort or confidence. The confusion about what people are hearing about "Obama's theology" indicates that a lot of people are asleep at the switch and wanting to have a sanity that has long ago been superceded by dogma. I know that I have spent a lot of time with stuff that most people leave the room to avoid, and I agree with their taste while I know that this is too important to avoid.

One has to have a perverse interest in the perverse to stick around and try to understand what makes Rick run. That he is surging, thanks Dan Savage for the imagery, is farce enough for me. But, we have to have some conviction about sanity before it can become funny without also being a cause for concern. I worry a lot less about Santorum than I do about those he makes appear as reasonable by contrast. It is not how insane Santorum is, it is how insane those who love him are.

DRC's picture
DRC

Hmm, which is more dangerous? Evil or stupid? I am beginning to believe that Ricky Poo is far more dangerous than his little sweater vest lets on. Be careful what you wish for.

planetxan's picture
planetxan

I think we all need to remember that no one does anything wrong given there model of the world,so what we have to do is change our model of the world people like Rik Santorum believe,s his model to be right and beliefs create behaviors.

Do you know what one mirror said to the other mirror?

It,s all done with people.

Spiritual arrogance has caused humanity,s greatest sorrow ,you have caused suffering on an unimaginable scale over your ideas about god than anything else in the human experience.People are even willing to give up there own lives just to be right they give up there safety ,health,happiness,security and harmony ,righteousness is killing humanity.

The solution therefore is to transcend our mixed up belief,s because as human beings no one has a complete understanding of beliefs no person and no religion the time has come to enlarge our belief,s in a way that works .

And then finally humans can start speeding up again the process of evolution due to new thinking and innovation.

The stubborn tendency of human beings to cling to their past has been slowing our evolutionary process for millennia and Republicans and politics and organized religion in general are so caught up in the past.

There is a book called the New revelations and there on page 14 are the 5 STEPS TO PEACE this information could and will eventually shift everything on the planet if we take them, the book,s author is Neale Donald Walsch.

namaste

humanitys team's picture
humanitys team
Quote DRC:I worry a lot less about Santorum than I do about those he makes appear as reasonable by contrast.

Some would argue that's by design. It's one big game. http://www.correntewire.com/the_overton_window_illustrated

Garrett78's picture
Garrett78
Quote Garrett78:
Quote DRC:I worry a lot less about Santorum than I do about those he makes appear as reasonable by contrast.

Some would argue that's by design. It's one big game. http://www.correntewire.com/the_overton_window_illustrated

That's a great piece. I mean, I have understood the concept for a while, but it is interesting to have it thought out and explained in such detail.

planetxan's picture
planetxan

To move the spectrum to the Right, you have to have extremists taken seriously. What is the extreme on the Left? They would cite Dennis Kucinich to balance Santorum, for example, and that is so one-wing it drives me nuts. There is no Left in the visible spectrum, but we also need to question the spectrum. I think the image of Independents alienated from the DC Bubble as a larger circle or the egg white v. the yolk where there is a lot of Left and very little Right beyond the circle.

DRC's picture
DRC

I'm not sure the whole window shifting thing is, in fact, "by design" (i.e., I'm not sure some group of powerful persons promotes, from behind the scenes, the likes of Bachmann and Santorum for the purpose of moving a nation in a particular direction). Or if it's simply the inevitable by-product of a system that is the inevitable by-product of human nature. I lean toward it being the latter, as I'm not big on grand conspiracy theories.

DRC reminded me of this:

Quote Bernard Chazelle:There is palpable excitement out there on the left. A pity there is no there there. America has lefties but no left.

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~chazelle/politics/creed-print.pdf. An article that was influential in setting me on a new path, even if I no longer agree 100% with the conclusions reached.

Garrett78's picture
Garrett78

Stupider they are more suited is the person for the office of US presidency. The puppet masters would have easier time pulling the strings. Give the man a dog bone and he does your bidding without questioning your command.

What a deal. What a great investment!! Spend $100Million to help get the MAN elected then the MAN does your bidding. Your net return maybe in the Billions. What a concept. Santorum is just such a man. And it is perfectly legal!!

Ohh but Santorum would not be good for me. First of all I really have no interest in religion. Have no place in my life, totally inconsequential in my life. I also have a partner. She and I get along just divine :D :D. Ricky would not approve. And oh I do have a college degree... Two infact. oops. A college educated woman is not what Ricky the American Taliban tolerates. Me thinketh.

Mitt Romney is not an easy puppet. Newt has too much ego and does have enough intellect that he makes a terrrible puppet. Ron Paul is too head strong as well and unsuited to be a puppet. Ricky on the other hand is the poorest of the bunch and aspires for the riches. Promiss him few million and I'm sure he will be more than pliable. He wants to be part of the puppet masters so give him an illusion that he can join the club. Oh so many ways to prod Ricky. He is OUR MAN!!

smilingcat

Here's the thing about Ron Paul. There are all these libertarian and libertarian-like think tanks put out there. (I believe this is part of the shift strategy.) There is a certain small clique of people and families who have been funding these places. Ron Paul is the one candidate who most closely subscribes to the world view, especially the economic view, these institutes push. Yet the backers of these think tanks put their money behind every Republican candidate except Ron Paul. What does that tell you? Do they look at him and think, "Good grief! This guy actually believes this shit?!" No, they don't want true believers. They want true weasels. Just like the church in the middle ages. Someone who actually believed the rubbish it was pushing was not very useful. But an egomaniacal pyschopath? Let's make him the Pope! Libertarianism is the new religion. The Market is its god. Mises, Hayek, Rand, the apostles. The presidency, the papacy. The senators are the bishops. And the mob is still the piss-poor mob. (And the crusades are back in business. And I do mean business.) So Rick is running for pope.

planetxan's picture
planetxan

I realize this thread is about how insane Sanitarium is but my God, I tried to watch the republican debates last night and I simply couldn't not stand it. With the exception of RP, Romney, Santorum and Gingrinch were in competition to see who would initiate war with Iran first, never any mention of the possible consequences of that, such as a rapidly expanding global conflict with Russia and China. On one hand they say we need jobs in America, but don't mention earmarking taxes for infrastructure, instead they portray Obama as the most dangerous president EVER on national security. They bemoaned the president's attempts at downscaling our military, a giant vacuum for tax dollars. I wish the media moderators would make them disclose their campaign funding sources, or make them wear coveralls with their sponsors names on them like NASCAR. I think one of those larger sponsors would surely be AIPAC because they were falling all over themselves to pledge allegience to Israel but the moderator never asked them about how much of our tax dollars goes to support the Israel war machine, how many nukes they have, how and where do they get their oil. There were no tough question about Israel, just blind support for Israel. I wish somebody would have at least asked if any of them thought Israel should pay reparations to the victims' families of the USS Liberty. I'm not anti-Israel, but I am not for blind support without any accountability as is the case today.

The three clowns and their party are responsible for the crappy Obama care because they filibustered any chance of single-payer. And also the republicans were not called out on the fact that health care expenses and the rise of the numbers of uninsured rose every year under Bush and even Clinton and GH W Bush during the republican dominated Congress. They did nothing to help that problem and only complain about the crappy end result. I lived in BC for many years and we had single-payer and I tell you folks, the issue of how a person was going to afford their health care never came up, at least not in my circles. That's just how civilized countries do it. When you're in a country where everything is a commodity then health care is seen as another means to extreme wealth.

None of them were called out on the connection between Bush, the illegal boy king and how his appointing two ULTRA CONSERVATIVE supreme court judges resulted in Citizens United which has effectively taken the people out of the democratic process. Instead John King allowed them to posture as to who was the MOST conservative or them all, Mirror Mirror on the Wall who is the most conservative jackass of them all?

There was a lot of talk about rounding up illegal immigrants, but not much was said about rounding up those employers who hire them at next to nothing wages, putting all American laborers at a disadvantage. Then the abortion issue again. My God, these people are always claiming to be the party of God, they love Jesus more than liberals do, according to them. Yet Jesus' doctrine was unconditional love and forgiveness and that we should be non-judgemental with each other. I don't know why liberals let them frame the debate as anti-abortion vs pro-abortion. In other words, baby savers vs baby killers. Nobody is for abortion which is why young people need education and need to know their options. Sanitarium and Romney think the best way is abstenence. Sure, that works well. I think we have almost 7 billion people on this planet straining our natural resources. The point is that the so called Jesus loving republicans pin their entire abortion debate on punishment, on making laws that send doctors and even women to jail. What happened to forgiveness, to unconditional love for your fellow human? Hypocrites!

The price of oil and gas is skyrocketing yet the oil companies still get huge tax deductions and the republicans shot down Obama's attempt to eliminate the oil depletion allowance, but CNN decided not to bother them with such details. The creeps want us to open up the shallows and Parks for drilling, and push ahead with Keystone XL, despite the fact that the oil will be sold on the world market. Probably to China which will add value to the other raw resources we send there and then sell the value-added crap back to us. Of course the oil can only get to China by being shipped across the vast Pacific Ocean and the ships burn tons of oil. The factories in China are buzzing and then the crap is shipped back across the Pacific burning tons more oil in the process. No questions about that insanity from CNN. God I hate our media.

I can't believe such stupid people are actually running for the highest office in the most powerful country in the world. It's surreal and depressing.

Choco's picture
Choco

Believe it, but don't accept it. My hope is that the crazy train race to the Alice in Wonderland world shocks people into turning in their Republican identities to avoid guilt by association. Those who want to take back that party have a big job, and I think they would do better by cutting off the kooks and creating a new party of Republican Rehab. Can the Tea Party morph out of its present state? I doubt it. But some of the people who went there can be part of a sane future. I know many ex-Republicans who are now impotent Independents and need to find something more descriptive than alienation.

If there is enough disgust to end the Corporate Right's ability to win elections through ads, the Democratic Party will have to face its own pathology. There will be no appeal to a "lesser evil" if the other side presents a non-Corporate conservativism committed to democracy. Progressives may even find that closer to where they are than being "left" as the spectrum is redefined. At least, the DLC Corpodems will find themselve voted off the island along with the GOPimps in the widely shared disgust with the duopoly. We can have genuine socialists debating rational social and economic policies with genuine democratic capitalists; and they may discover much more in common than not as democracy is the common bond.

This is only part of a much larger cultural change where the empire has to go along with the myth of exceptionalism and 'destiny.' Being American can be rehabed into a secular identity about our historical part in the global world instead of wrapped up in good v. evil and our moral violence or even our moral certainty about our way of life.

The "good news" is that things are much worse than we admit. Our ache about losing our myths and narcissism and the shock of having to go naked into the world as human beings is good for us, and the myths have been bad crack. We don't have to defend our past and our mistakes. We also don't have to act as if there is nothing of value in our story or experience to share. We just have to let it speak for itself instead of treating it as a badge or ticket to ride.

There are no innocent or totally good folks or cultures on the other side either. We meet on the common ground of humanity and a finite earth we all depend upon. There is a lot of "freedom" to be found in the truth if we are willing to give up our illusions and false pride. Discovering that the "other side" has something we need to learn and integrate into our sense of humanity is not defeat. It only means that polemics make us blind and deaf instead of open to what is real and worthy. Getting out of polemics is a joyful release. Once we decide that being sick is not the way we want to live, giving up its familiar symptoms becomes a good thing rather than a scary move into foreign territory.

Anyway, what we see is surreal and would be depressing were it based in reality instead of insanity. Getting real relieves a lot of depression and takes the power out of evil. It is still dangerous, but it is not "the Force."

DRC's picture
DRC

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.