The Keystone XL pipeline is back again?

5 posts / 0 new

The House Energy and Commerce Committee revived the pipeline yesterday passing legislation that will force the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to reject the President’s decision and approve the pipeline. That legislation will now likely be attached to an infrastructure spending bill expected to be voted on next week.

In other words – with our nation’s infrastructure crumbling – and with Americans in desperate need of construction jobs – Republicans plan to hold hostage legislation to rebuild the country demanding that Texas oil barons get what they want first – the Keystone XL pipeline. Meanwhile a lawsuit is working its way to the Securities and Exchange Commission alleging that the company that wants to build the pipeline lied and overinflated how many jobs would be created in building the pipeline.

Thom Hartmann Administrator's picture
Thom Hartmann A...

Comments

I live in CO, and I sell scientific instruments to refiners. The only refiner in the Denver area refines Canadian shale crude, but it's so thick and nasty they have to mix it 50:50 with Colorado Sweet crude to refine it. The lab guys tell me that it comes to them full of water as well, since they use steam to get the stuff to flow through the pipeline.

This refinery also has had issues with spilling benzene into Sand Creek (see the Denver Post), which supplies drinking water to Denver. Part of the reason is the caustic nature of the Canadian crude, its very hard on the pipeline. Interesting stuff, isn't it? By "nasty" I think they meant full of sulfur. Mix it with steam, Thom, and you know what you get... sulfuric acid.

jdrew005

Where is the silver stake we need to drive through its vampire heart?

DRC's picture
DRC

One thing has puzzled me since the Keystone XL pipeline fight hit the news big last summer : How did the planning, approval, and construction of the current Keystone pipeline system come off without most of us knowing about it ? Who approved the original Keystone, and when ? How was it done so stealthly ? If it wasn't for Bill McKibben appearing on Thom Hartmann and Democracy Now last year, a lot of us would not have heard of the Keystone XL. Is the lame-stream media an accomplice ?

miksilvr

From Thom: "Republicans plan to hold hostage legislation to rebuild the country demanding that Texas oil barons get what they want first – the Keystone XL pipeline."

The dems could do themselves and us a lot of good by legislating against these types of hostage bills. Each issue is seperate from the other so they should not be able to leverage infrastructure spending and tie it to approval of the Keystone/China pipeline. I think it is these types of things that lead people to believe that politics is a charade intended to make us think there is a choice and that there is not a central global elitist control over both parties. The jury is still out.

Choco's picture
Choco

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.