Seeking Alternative Education Options: Is There a "Hunter School" for High School - ADD

1 post / 0 new

My daughter has severe ADD with working memory issues that impact her writing and organization skills. Up until 8th grade, she has successfully managed our fabulous local public school system, however now that she is in High School the expectations of students have shifted dramatically. We are very fortunate to live in an area where education is a key priority and residents are willing to pay for it via their taxes (hooray!), but despite the excellent resource assistance (IEP and daily 1-on-1 resource time!), my daughter just cannot keep up. The homework assignment most students can finish in 20-30 minutes takes her 1 1/2 hours.

She is extremely intelligent, gifted in some areas, but her condition impedes her ability to express her knowledge of the materials learned in the way that is acceptable to today's education system and her grades hover endlessly at D's because of missing/late assignments. She is depressed, anxious, and it is impacting her self-esteem.

She has no behavioural issues, in fact, her teachers say she "is a delight to have in class", participating with intelligent adds and an upbeat spirit that improves the class atmosphere. One of her other gifts is the ability to charm teachers into giving her extra attention, time, and extensions.

I looked into Hunter School, but it only goes up until 8th grade. Home schooling is not an option because, well frankly, I am a single mom with a good job. Further, I would not have the patience and I would most likely wilt under her well-honed stalling tactics. (she is a teenager after all - LOL)

Is anyone aware of a High School like Hunter School that might be a better, more affirming, slower paced atmosphere? We live in the US, but are Australian citizens, and her father has permanent residency in Canada - so just about any country is open for consideration and she would love the opportunity to live overseas again, should there be a good fit.

Thank you to the Community and I hope some kind soul out there have an idea!

Best, HeyRed21

heyred21's picture
heyred21

Currently Chatting

Can Democrats Set Out a New Path?

Democrats must embrace a pro-government platform, not run away from it.

Those were the sentiments of Senator Chuck Schumer today, in a speech given at the National Press Club. Talking about the reasons for Democrats’ losses on Election Day, Schumer said that those losses were proof that the American people and middle-class want a government that will work more effectively for them.