Afghan civilian attack: multiple assailants (say eyewitnesses)

5 posts / 0 new

The first day this story broke, I read a story on Yahoo (via Reuters) which included neighbor's accounts of the killing spree. They claimed that there were multiple, drunk and laughing soldiers. When I noticed that other news articles did not include these accounts, and that they were all towing the party line (i.e. a lone gunmen snapped and went on a rampage), I quickly saved the Reuters article before it disapeared.

It did disapear from Yahoo within an hour and was replaced with accounts of a "Rogue" gunman. However, the article can still be found via other sources: "Western forces kill 16 civilians in Afghanistan: Kabul government"

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/03/11/afghanistan-civilians-idINDEE82A02J20120311

I understand why the government and armed forces would wish to perpetuate the "rouge" version of the story. It is much less devistating to the reputation of our armed forces abroad. However, if our soldiers are so broken that drunken killing sprees of women and children constitute "a night on the town," we should reevaluate both our deployment standards and our "mission" in Afghanistan.

cargnat's picture
cargnat

Comments

Let us hope that if straws can break the backs of camels, this truckload of hay will end this lousy war. Even if this is what I can expect from the hell that is war, it is all the more reason to expect that continuing the war will continue the outrages and the revenge.

DRC's picture
DRC

Thanks, AutoBug. I've printed it out and filed it for future reference when someone tells me I'm misremembering it.

On Tuesday, someone tried to redirect focus by launching some drones and killing 15 "suspected militants" along the Afghanistan/Pakistan border, but so far it seems additive not distractive.

Where ever do they get the notion that we don't value their lives the same as our own? Did we forget to give them a (made in Asia) folded flag?

Probably just a matter of time before the Four (of the 16) murdered who were not female or children get relabeled as "suspected" of this or that. Using their spouses and children as human shields no less!

I think they're commonly referred to as "fighting-age males" (i.e. over 15 - or at least look over 15). Good prejudicial language they came up with to "win the peace, hearts & minds".

Wondering how pretzelicious the explanation of how this is the fault of the Supreme Court or Congress will be...

Rodger97321's picture
Rodger97321

Some objective team with cultural sensitivity, certainly besides journalists or government/MIC operatives in the US, needs to investigate this. I really want to know what happened.

.ren's picture
.ren

Orwellian is a term that gets used a fair amount, and it definitely applies in this case. So 1984.

Garrett78's picture
Garrett78

Currently Chatting

The GOP war on workers has killed again...

It’s time to stop the conservative's war on working people in America.

Since the birth of our nation, conservatives have always been wary of average working-class Americans having too much political or economic power. John Adams, the second President of the United States and a Federalist (precursor to today’s Republicans), was very wary of the working class, which he referred to as “the rabble.”