The amnesty international report on Iran. It's worse than you could imagine.

8 posts / 0 new

It's long but definitely not boring. Skim through it. Very tragic. God help those poor people.

http://www.iranpresswatch.org/post/8753

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Comments

Check out these two gems

Another blogger,

Hossein Ronaghi Maleki (see section 3.2 above), was arrested on 13

December 2009 and is now serving a 15-year prison sentence. The sentence includes 10

years imposed for “membership of an [illegal] internet group called Iran Proxy” and lesser

terms for “spreading propaganda against the system”, “insulting the [Supreme] Leader” and

for “insulting the President”. He did not receive a fair trial and was denied access to his

defence lawyer. He told the judge that he was tortured in pre-trial detention but the judge is

said to have answered he “deserved it”. He is in poor health.

In September 2011,

Somayeh Tohidlou, a well-known blogger and opposition activist was

flogged 50 times for “insulting” the country’s President. Afterwards, in a message on her

blog to those who carried out the punishment, she recounted how she was chained hand and

foot before being flogged and said, “Be happy, because if you wanted to humiliate me, my

entire body is burning with humiliation”.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

When the repressers get to play off warmongering threats, dissent becomes treason and human rights go poof. Nobody likes the Iranian hardliners, but when we make the moderates look "soft" on Israel and the Greater Satan, we screw them to the wall.

I blame Cheney for turning back peace overtures. I blame those who have undercut Obama's attempts to move them toward peace with Israel and who he has to speak tough to keep from going rogue. The GOPimp Clown Parade and John BitchBoy McCain and his 'Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Iran" lack of military savvy are the moderate's nightmare. McCain does not understand ground wars and what they entail. The PNACers thought they could cruise through Iraq and get what they wanted from Iran by force. How tragic a mistake they made!

DRC's picture
DRC

I see your Amnesty International report on human rights abuses in Iran and raise you an Amnesty International report on Guantanamo Bay

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/AMR51/103/2011/en/43fe877f-92c6-44b8-ad3e-4840db5d0852/amr511032011en.pdf

Beating the drums for war is not a solution for the victims of human rights abuses in Iran. And the U.S has entirely lost its moral authority to lecture to other countries on this issue. Now, if you want to address human rights abuses Worldwide, including those perpetrated by the U.S., then that's a discussion worth having.

mdhess's picture
mdhess

Is it coincidence that Amnesty International issued its report on Iran at just this time?

Amnesty International report condemns Iran’s human rights abuses

March 2nd, 2012

http://www.iranpresswatch.org/post/8753

http://iranpresswatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/mde130022012en.pdf

Now this:

Today's (March 10) headline from Al Jazeera:

Death toll climbs in Israel raids on Gaza

http://www.aljazeera.com/

Medics say at least 14 Palestinians are killed and a dozen more injured after Israel hits Gaza Strip.

Would this latest Israeli attack be abuse?

Are there human rights abuses in Bahrain, Yemen, Saudi Arabia???

Is it that clients or “allies” of the US can do no wrong? Or maybe AI issued similar reports on these countries - and Israel - and I just missed them?

Could Amnesty International be concerned about its funding? What a tragedy that would be. AI states: We are independent of any government, political ideology, economic interest or religion and are funded mainly by our membership and public donations. I hope that hasn't changed, although it would reassure me - and maybe others as well - to know exactly who these public donors are. And what is the significance of "mainly" in their statement?

Alberto Ceras

How about organ harvesting in China? "You don't need that liver, do you?"

nimblecivet's picture
nimblecivet

The biggest thing that we can do to help the Irainian regime is to change the subject to the sins of another country. There are plenty of countries with serious human rights violations, but we cannot lump them all into a giant group. "An axis of evil" if you will. If we want offer any hope to those poor, suffering people of Iran we must avoid the temptation of changing the subject to Gitmo, Israel or Bush/Cheney. To do this only helps the Mullah's. Nobody has forced Iran to abuse and torture its own people. We should stop using "the everybody does it" excuse for Iran.

God help them.

rigel1's picture
rigel1

Were we to reduce the bluster and threats, we could stop giving those hardliners justification for their actions and reasons to have people suspect we were about to invade or bomb them. Put yourselves in their shoes and think about how it works here when our hardliners can make a big deal about how evil and ready to get us they are. I can appreciate how it is embarassing to have Cheney's deeds behind their fears. I wish they were just paranoid without the evidence of our insanity and refusals of all moderation.

It does not help their moderates to have us marching for them either. By now, the only thing that can help is to get the threat level of America and Israel amped down. It is not about "everybody does it," it is about what makes their fears credible and what could make them appear less so to their people. Acting out the Great Satan has been a tragic mistake in every sense.

DRC's picture
DRC

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.