Christian religion and Treaty with Tripoli

3 posts / 0 new

Apparently, most Republicans and Tea Party members are not familiar with the Treaty with Tripoli signed in November 1796. Here is Article 11 of that treaty unanimously approved by Congress and signed by President John Adams.

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

groundhog58's picture
groundhog58

Comments

Wow! That's very interesting. I've never heard of this. Thanks Groundhog.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

The NCLB tests seem to have overlooked this bit of U.S. History, but in their defense - it's not in my history book either...

But I think it's in the one used when my parents were in school.

Rodger97321's picture
Rodger97321

Currently Chatting

First Columbia took on their drug lords, now they're taking on their billionaires...why can't we?

America’s billionaires are driving this nation’s poverty epidemic. But it doesn’t have to be that way.

As we speak, working-class Americans are getting screwed over by policies that favor the wealthy elite, and leave everyone else in the dust. As a result, more and more Americans are living in poverty.