The Demise of the Tea Party

6 posts / 0 new

The lingering death of the tea party is a painful thing to watch. Each time C-SPAN features a new tea party rally it seems its just a little more pathetic than the last one. I was watching C-SPAN one day when they went to a live tea party rally for Michelle Bachman back when she was still a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination. She was standing on a little platform in front of a huge, colorfully painted bus giving her stump speech. When the camera panned around to show the crowd, that "crowd" consisted of about a half-dozen elderly couples sitting around on lawn chairs. I was actually embarrased for her.

It has now been fairly well documented that this "new" movement that was dubbed the "tea party" actually consisted mostly of the same old crowd of cultural conservatives and evangelicals who have been active on the right for some time. This movement was really just a top down campaign drummed up by powerful forces in an attempt to defeat healthcare reform. Now that the "Tea Party Congress" has proven itself to be inept and irresponsible and has driven the approval rating of Congress to an all-time low the power players that brought it into being can't run away from it fast enough. Tea party politicians are now left to their own devices to justify their radical agenda. As a result the only thing really left of the original raucous uprising, apart from the sporadic symposium held to try and rehabilitate the brand, is the dubious "tea-party caucus" label that's pinned to so many members who's only option now is to bask in past electoral glory and pretend to have had success.

So, am I right? Can someone show evidence to disprove my analysis?

mdhess's picture
mdhess

Comments

The original Tea Party, and the real Tea Party in America today, were smugglers and criminals.

Today, we grow and provide cannabis, in defiance of the cartoon science and laws our ridiculous society holds so dear.

Real Tea, Real Party.

The posers who tried to steal our name to defend their tiny, grotesque tax-free pholosophies are a national shame.

The Stalk Market Report; March 17, 2012

anonymous green

I think you err on the side of being overly optimistic. There is the everpresent 25% of all Americans (around 75 million people), who all seem to agree on the most ridiculous conclusions. Even at Bush's worst, there was still the 25% who gave him a high approval rating. People say it's because they are getting faux news, that if MSNBC were their diet, they would "come around." Remember the southern state who held a primary recently, where 50% believe Obama is a Muslim. There is still a good percentage who believe he wasn't born in the U.S.. What I am saying is that America is wacko. Devoid of any deep and meaningful spirituality, materialism, sex, and drugs are a cheap substitute. Intelligence and consciousness seem to be severely lacking in a waning empire. Just drive across the country, and see for yourself.

So what I am saying is that there is a very large group of very insane people in America, tea party or no tea party.

I heard recently that on average in American society 1 in 100 people is sociopathic. Among the Wall St. crowd they estimated 1 in 17. At least we know where some of them congregate!

dhavid

From above: I heard recently that on average in American society 1 in 100 people is sociopathic. Among the Wall St. crowd they estimated 1 in 17. At least we know where some of them congregate!

poly replies: I guess they're drawn to the source of the madness...just as drug addicts are drawn to their drug dealers.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease".

polycarp2

Drawn to easy money, always more, more, more. More is never enough. Remember Gollum from The Hobbit? That is what happens to these people. Saw an HBO documentary on George Harrison recently. He said it was a good thing they made a lot of money from the Beatles so early in life - it revealed immediately that money is am empty pursuit - that money has little to nothing to do with happiness, joy. Hence, his spiritual journey. He was a cool dude.

I prefer the flip side of things. When asked how much to give to others, Mother Theresa of Calcutta replied "Give until it hurts." This makes sense to me. As Ramakrishna used to say "We are only here (on this earth) for two days," might as well live it right!

dhavid

"Tea Party'' was a re-branding of Christian conservatives ,obama/democrat haters,sore losers,and mis -guided Fox viewers.The "tea party ''was never on a ballot ,was it?Those 25% of intolerant and uncompassionate Americans were anti-obama and pro -buisness.That why the media decided they were a "party" and had "influence".They were the ugly pep squad of the 1%.Useful Idiots.

The 99% movement being anti-corporate gets no positive airtime.

scottpot

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.