Fair Game: What we didn't find in Iraq or Afghanistan

1 post / 0 new

Its been nine years and the past is definitely blurry, unless you served. Not every one served in the theater.

I know I’m way behind. I finally saw the movie Fair Game, depicting the Valerie Plame and Joe Wilson story. Holy crap this is a great movie although it depicts a sad reality. Kudos to Sean Penn and Naomi Watts who were both outstanding in their craft. I love how the story is shown from the perpective of the family of Ms Plame and Mr Wilson, something I doubt most people considered at the time. At the time, they were parents of four year old twins and coping with the loss of career, public defamation and desire to shed light on the lies that were leading an angry grieving nation into a war on a country that had nothing to do with 911.

After seeing this film, I am wishing that the real Joe Wilson would enter politics. He strikes me as a good leader, someone with a conscience. Also, I wonder if the gender roles had been reversed if the Bush administration would have been so flip as turn on their own agent.

In chess, sometimes it is a good move to lose a pawn to gain the advantage, ultimately Ms Wilson was used as a pawn in the game of going to war that can be played in the white house. She was robbed of her career, bottomed out, as the 'fall girl' for the Bush administration. There does seem to be a tragic injustice in the end with the family moving to New Mexico to escape DC , while no justice is served to the executive branch out of control. Scooter Libby, an agent of Cheney, barely served time for his lies and no one else was held to answer for blowing her cover in the press.

Of all the reasons we went to these two wars, it cannot be denied that we waged war on Iraq based on layers of lies and deception. Iraq did not have anything to do with 911, yet we were easily led into believing it was so. At the heart of the reasoning for going to war was the so called weapons program in operation in Iraq. By the time it was obvious to most informed and reasoning folks, we were embroiled in a second war mostly because it seemed closer to the target.

It is not easy to draw a greater conclusion or gain a moral to the story, but here it is: the GOP in control of our military and intelligence complex will put it to work on expensive and immoral operations in order to create a political advantage and/or support their big business cronies. That’s what happened with Iraq.

Looking at the future, I cannot figure out what the mission in Afghanistan is but to get out. I think we went there to get Osama but now it's truly a mission accomplished.

liberaltalkingpoints's picture
liberaltalkingpoints

Currently Chatting

Who Should an Economy Serve?

The top one percent own half of all the world's assets. In stark contrast, the bottom fifty percent of the world owns less than one percent. According to the 2014 Global Wealth Report from Credit Suisse, global inequality has surged since the 2008 financial collapse. The report explains that while global wealth has more than doubled since the year 2000, the vast majority of overall growth has gone to those who were already wealthy.