Healthcare

4 posts / 0 new

Obamacare, Private health care, and the hopeful topic of Universal put aside. We need to look at it from a moral angle. Everyday I wake up in a country in which I am tied to and at odds with. When did we fall so far behind the rest of the world? Obviously we have it better then say Africa. But, if we contiue down the road we are on we will be in the same bed or should I say blanket on the floor. Do I think that with the mentality of this country that would be possible? Most definatly. Its going to take bodies in the streets. The fact that right now a hosptial can charge you $200 for a toothbrush, a doctor charge what he wants and insurance companies are raping people of their lives and their money is something that my tiny little brain cannot come to terms with. I hate to bring religon into the topic but.. we say we are unoffically a "Christian" nation yet the practices people carry out day to day reflects otherwise. What would jesus do? Im pretty sure he would heal the sick.

jfloyd08's picture
jfloyd08

Comments

A hallmark of a good con is to get the mark(s) to buy into what your selling, campaign for it and thank you afterward.

They saw how well it worked with Auto Insurance - it's only natural that they would want to expand the concept to other areas.

It works because the game is engineered to focus everywhere except on the fact that private Insurancers are a subset of Bankster.

Rodger97321's picture
Rodger97321

"a hosptial can charge you $200 for a toothbrush". Is it one of those fancy new Sonicare electric toothbrushes, it needs to be for that price.

RichardScott

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20120511,0,1687632.column

Read this column about hospital billing. Here's some tidbits.

"OK, there are a couple of things here. First, the clinic and the medical center performed the exact same procedure — half a dozenX-rays— and the price for one was about four times higher than the other.

I understand that County-USC has substantial overhead costs, but a price difference this huge speaks to how out of whack our medical system has become. An X-ray is an X-ray.

Then there's the Spartan nature of the bills. Except for the balances due, Wilde's two bills are virtually identical. In both cases, there are four boxes of information for the patient: date, description, quantity and amount.

And on both of Wilde's bills, the date and quantity boxes are left blank. Under description, it says only "new charges," and then there's the total amount that has to be paid.

"I'm not averse to paying my bills," Wilde said. "But I've never received a bill that just says 'new charges.' It seems absurd to pay a bill that you don't know what you're being charged for."

Billing for the Hudson clinic and County-USC is handled by the county Department of Health Services' Consolidated Billing Office.

Larry Gatton, who oversees the office, said Wilde's bills weren't unusual. Almost all medical bills mailed out by the county are short on details.

Medi-Cal, which covers most low-income patients at county healthcare facilities, doesn't require itemized bills, Gatton said. And private insurers seldom ask for more information when bills come their way, he said.

Really?

"They just pay the all-inclusive amount," Gatton answered. "Insurers seldom ask for additional information."

If that's true, and Gatton swears it is, this just highlights the screwiness of our healthcare system. No wonder medical costs are going through the roof.

If a patient or insurer wants an itemized bill, Gatton noted, one can be provided.

But why make people jump through extra hoops? Surely the county wants residents to be well-informed healthcare consumers, with a full understanding of what they're being charged for. Why aren't itemized bills standard for everyone?

"The system at the moment can't provide an itemized bill for every service rendered," Gatton replied. "It doesn't have that capability.""

lovecraft

Currently Chatting

Green World Rising

In two previous videos narrated by Leonard DiCaprio and available over at GreenWorldRising.org, we’ve seen the dangers that global warming and climate change present for our planet and the human race.