It's official. Thom is off the KTLK Los Angeles lineup.

62 posts / 0 new

I received a message today from the programming director at KTLK, and he confirmed my worst fears. Because Thom is changing his broadcast hours, and that time slot conflicts with Randi Rhodes airtime, he will no longer be carried on KTLK. Not even in a delayed broadcast. I feel like Thom is abandoning us. I know it's not intentional on his part, but that's how I feel just the same. I wish Thom well in his efforts to increase his listenership, but this is a very sad situation for Los Angeles. And I'll really miss "Brunch With Bernie".

bluangel's picture
bluangel

Comments

We get delayed broadcasts of some hosts. Why can't they just switch the popular ones? I would take them on instead of letting them tell you that they can't do anything about it.

DRC's picture
DRC

Don't despair! Fire up your iHeart radio app or your computer and seek out KPOJ, 620 am in Portland, Ore. Catch Thom live that way or by his own iPod/iPhone/iPad app. I'm a paratransit driver and here in SF they've pushed Thom all the way to the 10 pm to 1 am time slot at what used to be Green 960. I use iHeart Radio turned to KPOJ most mornings and catched what I missed in the evenings.

ImprobableTodd's picture
ImprobableTodd

Major freak out here. Please direct me to the time slot you want on KTLK. Would LOVE you tape delayed at 3pm pacific. HELP!!!!!!!!

Karen S's picture
Karen S

Really want Thom delayed at 3pm on KTLK. Come on fans, lets lobby on facebook. Call 818-559-2252 (Clear Channel) to let them know.

Karen S's picture
Karen S

I'm with you, Karen and Blueangel. This is tragic. Well, maybe he will be on KTLK again soon. We need to complain. I just heard an ad for Thom's show a while ago, on KTLK, ironically. Perhaps they will have a change of heart. I didn't hear any ads for any new show n KTLK.

Natural Lefty's picture
Natural Lefty

So your suggestion is not to question why Thom is moving the time of the show, it's that we abandon FREE radios we can listen to anywhere and all buy smart phones and pay $80-100 a month for phone/data plans so we can stream the show and listen through headphones?

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Better yet... why aren't we pushing Thom to reconsider? Granted that's probably too late now. Thom has created a monumental mess and after a WEEK no one has been able to explain why.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote Pierpont:

So your suggestion is not to question why Thom is moving the time of the show, it's that we abandon FREE radios we can listen to anywhere and all buy smart phones and pay $80-100 a month for phone/data plans so we can stream the show and listen through headphones?

That was John Scott the Program Director for Green960 reply when we complained to them of dropping Thom for Ed in the mornings a few years back. He actually said the broadcast radio was a thing of the past and Internet streaming the future. Also the plan was to put Thom live on one of KKSF's HD channels which would mean a) you would have to get an HD radio and b) hope that you can receive it. I have an Android phone and listen to Thom live on my morning walk that way which was preferable even when Green960 was around and carried him live as their single was too weak and required me constanting turing my walkman to align with their single. No problem with the smartphone but then I primarily own it because I do Android software development.

captbebops's picture
captbebops
Quote captbebops:He actually said the broadcast radio was a thing of the past and Internet streaming the future.

The idea that narrowcasting via the web will replace broadcasting is amusing. As we already know from ATT's clamping down on their unlimited data plans... there's soon to be bottlenecks in available G3 and G4 frequencies. Right now I can walk around the house or yard with a portable AM radio. I can get Thom in the car. I don't have to pay a cent. The downside for AM is Thom's moving to a slot where in winter, many AM stations power down... or in my case go off the air. Thom's moving the show is a huge mistake. He's now going to conflict with Randi Rhodes who I also like. He's also going to conflict with some NPR programming I like.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Hey, I'm with you pierpont. I also listen to Thom on KTLK with my walkman during the day, as I'm working at home, and also in the car. Since I do own a smart phone I can listen to him in IHeart, but for only as long as the battery lasts, as it really eats it up. But, that being said, I know there are many people out there who can't afford the internet phone plan that you need for iHeart, and that might include me one of these days. Yes, this move has created a mess, and Thom and KTLK haven't handled it very well. I had to call KTLK numerous times to finally get ahold of the programming director who gave me the information about him leaving the lineup. It has really bugged me to keep hearing his cheerful promo about his time change knowing he will no longer be on the L.A. lineup. A lot of eople don't know yet, and when they tune in next week, they're going to be pissed. I was so upset when I spoke to the programming director I forgot to ask him who was going to fill the 9am-12noon slot from now on. It' will have to be someone who really knows their stuff to be between Stephanie Miller and Randi Rhodes.

bluangel's picture
bluangel

Does anyone know who is going to be on or why the time change is happening?

Are they going to pull a "Green/KNEW 960" -- The station formerly known as Green 960 has Glenn Beck on in Steph's time slot before Thom. I think the idea is that it pumps up the "cume" (cumulative audience) to diversify a little bit (I just think it erodes the audience loyalty, but what do I know?).

With that as a strategy, who knows? Laura Ingraham and Ed Schultz broadcast live in that slot, but the way things have been going, I have a feeling that they're going to broadcast tape-delayed Alan Colmes or Leslie Marshall. Or maybe they need to bump Thom to flank Rush a little more so Crap Channel can get their money's worth out of that awful contract they paid for by firing, what was it, 3,000 people?

I am curious: 1) Who will be in the slot on KTLK (and are we sure that Randi will still be on), 2) What motivated the change, and 3) Did it come from the network side or Thom's side?

(2009) So already this year the company has shed nearly 3,000 employees, or 12 percent of its workforce. Also, last week, Clear Channel's parent company announced it was suspending its matching contributions to employee 401(k) retirement programs.

The astronomical worth of Limbaugh's eight-year pact: $400 million. The amount of money Clear Channel execs have been trying to scrimp and save this year as they lay off thousands from the struggling company: $400 million. Ironic, don't you think?

Because here's the real oddity about Clear Channel's pact with Limbaugh: Last summer there was nobody else in a position to steal Limbaugh away. Clear Channel was basically bidding against itself and decided, in the end, to give Limbaugh a 40 percent raise, which included writing a $100 million signing bonus check to celebrate his contract extension. That right: A nine-figure signing bonus.

Keep in mind that Clear Channel has a long history of playing politics with its talk radio. Around the time of the Iraq war in 2003, when Clear Channel was paying to produce and promote pro-war rallies hosted by Glenn Beck (which the company insisted were merely "pro-troops" rallies), several on-air personalities claimed they had been yanked off the air for voicing anti-war opinions; that they were warned point-blank by their Clear Channel bosses to tone down the anti-war rhetoric or face professional consequences. Clear Channel's CEO has also personally defended Limbaugh's ill-advised rants in the past.

In February 2004, Clear Channel pulled superstar talker Howard Stern off its stations after he veered to the hard anti-Bush left. Yet, now, Clear Channel rewards superstar talker Limbaugh as he veers to the hard anti-Obama right.

think_r

Not good! KTLK lineup getting worse and worse. Thom is #1 progressive radio show in the US...they could have found a spot for him.

Sounds like I might get some earphones and listen more while working....I've also found the newsletter handy, the one that comes out mid afternoon. I can review clips and articles later that are of interest.

wiggs's picture
wiggs

Well we now know as I speculated in another thread that the move was so more stations would carry Thom live. Doesn't seem to help things though for the west coast stations, but we'll see.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

Okay I'm freaking out, I've been listening to Thom for over 3 years and I don't want to miss his show, but I'm in a bind here; I have a smartphone but I have a data cap and where I work doesn't get great cell reception anyway and I can't listen on iHeartRadio using my computer at work because it slows down our entire network (we have an ancient ethernet network). Anyone know if Thom is available anywhere else? HD Radio perhaps? I don't care what I have to buy (not a new phone with a new plan, I'm quite pleased with my current service), I just want to continue to listen to Thom's wonderful program.

If I can still listen to his program through some other means it'd be great because with the time slot moved, I can now listen to Morning Becomes Eclectic on KPCC then Thom Hartmann afterwards.

jasonthomasdesign's picture
jasonthomasdesign

think_r, it was always a move by Thom's organization to broaden his listener base, and to give a larger audience an opportunity to listen to Thom live, as in many outlets he has been carried time-delayed. I don't understand the reasoning of KTLK not to at least carry him in a delayed slot, as there are some hosts that are really struggling. I would be okay with Thom, or at least part of his show, at the 3pm Pacific time slot. I don't know, and KTLK isn't forthcoming about who will be taking over the 9am-12 noon time period, but I hope it's someone with some gravitas. It will be a hard bill to fill between Stephanie Miller and Randi Rhodes. David Sirota would be a good match I think, he airs at the same time as Thom. And, Randi isn't going anywhere....that's one of the reasons why Thom will not be on air in L.A. as KTLK has a contract with Randi at that time. All in all, I don't understand the reasoning of KTLK not to at least try to keep the number one Progressive talk radio host on the air in some form, but that's the way it is.

bluangel's picture
bluangel

just found this:

Thursday, March 8, 2012 | March 8, 2012

Clear Channel Los Angeles to Air “Diverse L.A.” on Progressive Talk KTLK; Black Media Alliance Not Satisfied. As part of Clear Channel Los Angeles’ program to increase diversity at the cluster, a three-week block of programs titled, “Diverse L.A.” will air on progressive talk outlet KTLK during the 9:00 am to 12:00 noon daypart beginning March 12. The program will be hosted by cluster producer and political commentator Morris O’Kelly. Clear Channel is currently seeking community members interested in appearing on the program and is taking suggestions and applications via e-mail at DiverseLA@clearchannel.com. In a statement, Clear Channel Los Angeles market manager Greg Ashlock says, “These 45 hours of prime programming will feature local hosts and guests discussing a wide variety of issues associated with the spectrum of experience of all Angelenos.” The programming is part of the response to the negative feedback sister station KFI received after PM drive hosts John & Ken were suspended for comments about Whitney Houston. Morris O’Kelly states, “This is about Los Angeles hearing voices and viewpoints less often heard while also addressing communities historically underserved. ‘Diverse L.A.’ will highlight new personalities and newsmakers for the KTLK audience but, more importantly, provide a platform for inclusive, substantive dialogue in the public square.” The Los Angeles organization Black Media Alliance responds to the initiative disappointed that Clear Channel has “relegated our concerns to a struggling station that has neither the cachet nor reach of their more profitable outlet.” In a statement, the BMA quotes longtime member and media personality Kevin Ross saying, “The efforts of Clear Channel are important, but it’s not enough…There needs to be diversity on all of their stations, on- and off-air and we are prepared to provide Clear Channel with an extensive list of African-American radio professionals who fit into their current program formatting needs.”

so the hatemongers at right-wing kfi get suspended for one of many racist comments and they diversify ktlk? i've talked to the program manager at ktlk when they preempted thom with a kings game. frankly, he sounded like an arrogant libertarian. we discussed john and ken and he said they were not conservatives but realists. and he intimated that progressive talk doesn't pay for itself. (though he said it's not branded "progressive" anymore. he was a contrarian dick in my opinion.)

i'm quite angry about the time change too. and who knows what will happen after these three weeks of "diversity?"

Cassandra Complex's picture
Cassandra Complex

Jason, MP3 streams should hardly make a dent on a local area network. Your server and router must be REALLY ancient then, circa 1990s? I actually was only listening to Thom's second hour on the smartphone and only about 45 minutes of it during my walk when he was on Green960 in the mornings. My monthly data usage was less than 500 MB. The other two hours were ethernet here in the house. I have an FM transmitter hooked up to this computer which broadcasts streams throughtout the house. It's one of those C Crane ones and I opened it up and turned up the pot inside a little to boost the coverage area. In the car I use a cheap Colby FM transmitter which would broadcast the stream from the phone to the car radio. Works very well and it interesting that these days I don't get the data drops I used too.

captbebops's picture
captbebops
Quote wiggs:Thom is #1 progressive radio show in the US...they could have found a spot for him.

Isn't the real question here why Thom thinks he can move the show... for reasons uknown, and the radio world will rearrange itself to suit him? I don't know what my local station plans to do. Thom is now going to be in Randi's slot... and that station only airs 9 hours of 15 of Randi's show... and in winter that's down to 5 hours before the station goes off the air.

So who are they going to get for the noon eastern slot? Schultz? They already had him at 6p and bumped him for some Wall Street Journal show called The Daily Wrap.

Thom's created a mess.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

I buy the annual subscription to the podcast, download it via iTunes and listen when I want. It's the best money I spend all year. I know that isn't available to all, and you sacrifice the opportunity to call in and discuss when it's live. But I live in the hard core right wing DFW area, and progressive radio of any kind is just not available. I find it hard to believe that Thom did this out of any personal selfish motivation.

xeyeldinTX's picture
xeyeldinTX
Wall Street Journal show called The Daily Wrap.

...The Daily Crap. News Corp/Faux News umbrella -- that's when I switch iHeartRadio to Denver 760 and listen to LOS ANGELES BASED Norman Goldman, who for some strange reason isn't broadcast locally. But am I the only one sick of the "Bloomberg Market Minute" bullsh*t that these people call "news breaks?" If I was a one-tenth-of-one percenter sitting by the pool making a living off of dividends and paying the "capitalist gains" tax, maybe I would care. And Moe Ansari, you sound like a nice guy (honestly, you do), but I just don't think weekday "drive time" radio befits you. An hour a day to pitch your investment advising sessions (is that on KNEW or KTLK? Who cares -- I switch stations after Randi). And why do we get a Dow Jones update every hour? If you actually NEEDED that news (one percenters), wouldn't you already have it?

I mix up the stations now, so I don't know what breaks are on what station anymore. My favorite is AM 950 Minneapolis because I DON'T have to use the Clear Channel iHeartRadio app to get it -- I check in there later for Mike Malloy live (full show 6-9 PT).

If that story on the BMA is factual, Crap Channel must have thought it was a win/win: they would never sacrifice their "flamethrower" 640 Rush Limbaugh-addled flagship to local minority programming. Are you kidding? This is the station that used to broadcast Dr. Laura! They may still, for all I know. I am assuming that they cut her off after she did her horrendous bit of "minority programming" that one day (and Oprah-understudy Gayle King, who was on KTLK at the time, did NOT treat that event as newsworthy or as a timely moment for a national conversation, covering a "new book release" when Dr. Laura was a hot topic, if I remember...). I felt like the lone voice in the wilderness in the 90's telling whoever would bring her up in a conversation ("oh, you like talk radio? Have you heard that Dr. Laura?...") that she was full of sh*t. But these are the same folks who thought that G.W. Bush was a "values" candidate. Why don't they ask Iraqis who lost family members to "Shock and Awe" about "pro-life" agendas?

think_r

I empathize for those who feel spurned in LA, but their reaction to Thom being taken away from them speaks volumes to me. Thom is a treasure that everyone should have access to. I see Thom casting his net much further in the future and hauling in not only the spurned in LA, but such an abundance that it can't be pulled into his boat. Let's all envision a world where Thom exceeds Rush Limbaugh in every possible way and not just in the obvious ways he already does.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

Yes, we do feel spurned in SoCal, not only in LA, but all over the region. KTLK has a strong signal, and it's the only radio station we could hear throughout the region (Los Angeles, Orange, and western Riverside and San Bernardino counties, known as the "inland empire") that had his show.

Natural Lefty's picture
Natural Lefty
Quote Natural Lefty:

Yes, we do feel spurned in SoCal, not only in LA, but all over the region. KTLK has a strong signal, and it's the only radio station we could hear throughout the region (Los Angeles, Orange, and western Riverside and San Bernardino counties, known as the "inland empire") that had his show.

I feel your pain (in my best Bill Clinton accent). I do see bigger things for Thom. This is a just minor pothole on the road to greater things. Easy for me to say as I gain a live airing of Thom and you guys lose him from the free airwaves. Hang in there.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

I don't understand this at all. Why remove yourself from a huge market like LA. Makes no sense. Hopefully, all will be revealed. Or not.

Librulgrrl's picture
Librulgrrl

Or you can use the noncommercial feed at www.livestream.com/thomhartmann, or with the TuneIn app one of the noncommercial stations: WMNF HD3, MAIN FM, or WFTE.

alp227's picture
alp227

Let's use this as an opportunity to lobby other stations to carry Thom. For example, I'd like KGO 810 in my area (San Francisco) to carry Thom at noon. KGO recently converted to a nearly all news weekday lineup relegating talk to weekends after decades of being a news/talk station. The current KGO lineup: Morning News (4am-9am); Ronn Owens talk show (9am-12pm); nothing but generic news coverage (12pm-12am); the conservative Red Eye Radio (12am-4am). At least KGO has a good roster of progressives on the weekends (Pat Thurston, Karel, and Christine Craft). Recently, Thom's longtime SF affiliate KNEW 960 (formerly 960 the Quake and Green 960) moved Thom to the 10pm-1am slot in favor of the financial advice host Dave Ramsey as part of a new "opinions, finance, advice" format.

So San Francisco listeners: I'd recommend contacting KGO's program director by mail at 55 Hawthorne Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, or use this online email form (direct message to "programming"). My pitch (as i posted on facebook) is: "Thom Hartmann, author of several books about humanities and politics, provides a refreshing, civil discourse on public affairs. He advocates for the environment and against the corporate takeover of government (including rolling back the Citizens United v. FEC case) and debates conservatives (whether pre arranged guests or callers)."

Meanwhile, KTLK Los Angeles will play this local public affairs program "Diverse LA" on Thom's former slot. At least that's not Rush Limbaugh, and that program does seem to provide a much needed public interest forum. Meanwhile, KTLK's right wing sister station KFI has this guy named Bill Carroll (conservative) 12pm-3pm. KABC has Sean Hannity at this time slot. If KFI had Hartmann, he'd be between the conservative Rush Limbaugh and John & Ken shows on KFI. As Thom once said on a show, the program directors make the programming decisions. If we get active, we can prove that we can take back radio in the public interest even if Obama erased the Fairness Doctrine from the books.

alp227's picture
alp227

The program replacing Thom on KTLK1150 in a few weeks will be financial/retirement-focused. Just this morning the Director of Affiliate Relations of the Ray Lucia Show told me (with some distain) that "those people of the Thom Hartmann ilk will have to look elsewhere for their political programming." Another representative of the Ray Lucia [Retirement] Show told me that their program will either begin airing April 2nd or 16th.

I'll miss informative, compassionate, intelligent dialog from Thom as well as Brunch with Bernie.

MsMarm's picture
MsMarm

I am also extremely disappointed that Thom Hartmann is not in KTLK -Los Angeles in the morning. I listened while I did other things, or while I went for a walk. It is the main reason I listened to KTLK. It is my favorite show.

I know that I can listen online, but I can't always sit there at the computer, and am up and about and like to listen with my Walkman or while I rest. Cox Cable in the area where I live does not have Thom Hartmann as far as I can see.

I wrote KTLK and told them what I think. I would also much rather listen to Thom Hartmann that Randi Rhodes. I thought I had the wrong radio station this morning.

Geraldine Rieman

I almost exclusively listen to KPOJ through iHeart Radio these days. I wish there were an ACTUAL device to listen to it in my car. (I don't have WiFi in my car.)

zelduh96

I think we all need to all call in the LA station and demand Thom's show be put on the line up. If they want people to listen to their station, they need to give us want we want.

Susie-Q

First, for those of us who really care…how can we all band together in this area and make radio happen for the rest of us. I do not have all of the fancy smancy equipment and I never will. The Radio is MY airwaves and my instrument of choice.

I have chosen to hear Thom Hartmann in this area. I do believe that Thom’s rant about Clear Channels’ advertising scheme may have had something to do with this; however, that does not matter now. Could we or would we want to band together to get something accomplished in a venue in which we can all partake?

Ladyhawke1's picture
Ladyhawke1

I agree. It will have to be sustained and we will have to notify the sponsors and the STATION that we are no happy and it will take a lot of us to do it.

Ladyhawke1's picture
Ladyhawke1

I have contacted the station. Now for the sponsors. If Rush can be taken down....so can a station.

To: 'Programming@KTLKAM1150.com'
Subject: Thom Hartmann Show

Dear K-Talk:

You have lost a listener to the KTLK station and as a customer and I will be expressing my views to your advertisers.

I have never asked much of my radio as long as I had a “choice” of whom I could hear, and who over time have proven to me that they have the facts and history on their side. I need information each and every day in my life in order to live my life as a good and vital person in this country. I cannot do it with people who cannot or will not give me the information that I honestly deserve and with the established facts that one needs to exist in this world.

I think it inevitable, that at some time in the near future Mr. Hartmann will once again be given a place on the public airwaves in this area. I do hope, that you will not wait too long to be the first, to invite and welcome him back to the Los Angeles area.

Sincerely,

Barbara Hensley

Camarillo, CA

Ladyhawke1's picture
Ladyhawke1

I could not have said it better myself.....NEWS CRAP! by the Wall Street Journal!!! Just how dumb do these folks think we are? At three PM I just turn the whole damn thing off. There is always KPFK and Pacifica.....even with all the in fighting it is light years better than the afternoons with KTLK 1150 AM.

Ladyhawke1's picture
Ladyhawke1

The airwaves are still free. They cannot kill an idea....where did I hear that before? Oh...yes! "V" for Vendetta!

Why should I have to pay for something that is already mine? And why stand on my head in a certain positon with a special anntena to hear something. It sounds like the Jews hidding in an atic trying to listening to a Churchill speech.

Ladyhawke1's picture
Ladyhawke1

Folks,

Stop thinking like affable progressives and think about what's going on here. Conservatives have about 600 radio stations in the U.S. while the progressives have about 100. That's 'cuz they play hardball.

Everyone here who’s figured out that KTLK is liberal pablum is spot-on. I'm saying the same thing here in longer form.

Clear Channel has (at least) two talk stations in Los Angeles. KTLK and KFI. KFI is the station that caries Rush, coincidentally (yeah, right) from 9AM to noon. KFI has absolutely ZERO programming that is not conservative talk, while KTLK carries Kings hockey, L.A. Galaxy soccer and women's NCAA games. On weekends, it's mostly paid advertising programs.

By contrast, KFI is all live, non-commercial programming on the weekends.

3-6PM is David Cruz, who to me, sounds like a nice guy but isn't really hard-hitting. He's on because communities complained there was no alternative to John and Ken, who insulted the Los Angeles Latino community (resulting in a couple of days of suspension and lame apologies) so Clear Channel put on David Cruz to fill that gap. He replaced Wall St. Journal Daily Wrap. Gee, who owns the WSJ, let me think...

From 6-8PM is Clarke Howard. He's a great consumer reporter but, well, you can guess.

Mike Malloy is an over the top liberal from 8-10PM, and then it's 4 hours of Phil Hendrie, who when he talks polititics, and he does quite a bit, is all slanted to make liberals look like fools.

So the bottom line is, Clear Channel will never program against their cash cow, KFI. It seems to me that to counter this, we MUST continue to listen to KTLK because shutting it off will indicate there's no listentership.

If you email the Program Director at KTLK, you'll get a polite response from the PD at KFI, Robin Bertolucci. That's because the PD for KTLK is the PD for KFI!!!

I'm guessing she's thrilled that Thom is gone is light of her Rush problems. I'd suspect a smelly rat if it weren't for the fact that Thom mentioned his time switch a couple weeks before Rush professed his love of porn (ie: his request that Sandra Fluke post video of her having sex).

So it's clear to me that everthing Ms. Bertolucci (assuming Robin is a female's name) does is to boost KFI while controlling the liberal voice in L.A., thereby appeasing the FCC who may accuse them of monopolizing talk radio in a major market if they don't have any liberal talk. This way, they can prevent complaints about the lack of liberal radio and at the same time, water-down the message so there is no real competition to KFI and the conservative message.

If what Thom and Randi and Stephanie say is true, then anywhere there is head to head competition with no restrictions, liberal talk crushes the conservative stations.

Lastly, you may notice that KTLK has no national advertisers. As I understand it, that's because Clear Channel has employed a strategy that keeps them off liberal radio. They funnel those ads over to the conservative stations so they can claim that big advertisers don't want to advertise on liberal radio. My guess is that they will use this argument to eventually have our favorite stations go dark.

So go ahead and complain to BOTH KTLK and KFI as the law says they have to put all mail and email (no blogs like this) into their public file. However, THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE AN IMPRESSION is to complain to the FCC. And let Robin know you did. That's the only thing that will make her(?) sweat - besides Rush losing dozens of advertisers.

Here's the contact info:

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

Then choose: Broadcast (TV and Radio), Cable, and Satellite Issues

Then: Unauthorized, unfair, biased, illegal broadcasts (does NOT include Obscene, Profane or Indecent material)

And if you want to discuss these issues where someone with power can see them, try this:

http://www.fcc.gov/discuss

As Thom would say: Tag. Your it.

MrBiker's picture
MrBiker

Hello, EVERYONE in LA (Los Angeles) is going crazy that Thom is no longer on 1150 KTLK. I know this is not his fault, but he needs to realize how many listeners he has is the LA area, probably a respectable fraction of his listener base.

We want Thom back!

JZ's picture
JZ

I think Thom would be a good fit on KPFK 90.7FM (A Pacifica station) in the 12 noon to 3pm slot. Of course I have no idea if it's feasable for KPFK, but that's what I'd like to see.

mihanson's picture
mihanson
Quote MrBiker:

Folks,

Stop thinking like affable progressives and think about what's going on here. Conservatives have about 600 radio stations in the U.S. while the progressives have about 100. That's 'cuz they play hardball.

Everyone here who’s figured out that KTLK is liberal pablum is spot-on. I'm saying the same thing here in longer form.

Clear Channel has (at least) two talk stations in Los Angeles. KTLK and KFI. KFI is the station that caries Rush, coincidentally (yeah, right) from 9AM to noon. KFI has absolutely ZERO programming that is not conservative talk, while KTLK carries Kings hockey, L.A. Galaxy soccer and women's NCAA games. On weekends, it's mostly paid advertising programs.

By contrast, KFI is all live, non-commercial programming on the weekends.

3-6PM is David Cruz, who to me, sounds like a nice guy but isn't really hard-hitting. He's on because communities complained there was no alternative to John and Ken, who insulted the Los Angeles Latino community (resulting in a couple of days of suspension and lame apologies) so Clear Channel put on David Cruz to fill that gap. He replaced Wall St. Journal Daily Wrap. Gee, who owns the WSJ, let me think...

From 6-8PM is Clarke Howard. He's a great consumer reporter but, well, you can guess.

Mike Malloy is an over the top liberal from 8-10PM, and then it's 4 hours of Phil Hendrie, who when he talks polititics, and he does quite a bit, is all slanted to make liberals look like fools.

So the bottom line is, Clear Channel will never program against their cash cow, KFI. It seems to me that to counter this, we MUST continue to listen to KTLK because shutting it off will indicate there's no listentership.

If you email the Program Director at KTLK, you'll get a polite response from the PD at KFI, Robin Bertolucci. That's because the PD for KTLK is the PD for KFI!!!

I'm guessing she's thrilled that Thom is gone is light of her Rush problems. I'd suspect a smelly rat if it weren't for the fact that Thom mentioned his time switch a couple weeks before Rush professed his love of porn (ie: his request that Sandra Fluke post video of her having sex).

So it's clear to me that everthing Ms. Bertolucci (assuming Robin is a female's name) does is to boost KFI while controlling the liberal voice in L.A., thereby appeasing the FCC who may accuse them of monopolizing talk radio in a major market if they don't have any liberal talk. This way, they can prevent complaints about the lack of liberal radio and at the same time, water-down the message so there is no real competition to KFI and the conservative message.

If what Thom and Randi and Stephanie say is true, then anywhere there is head to head competition with no restrictions, liberal talk crushes the conservative stations.

Lastly, you may notice that KTLK has no national advertisers. As I understand it, that's because Clear Channel has employed a strategy that keeps them off liberal radio. They funnel those ads over to the conservative stations so they can claim that big advertisers don't want to advertise on liberal radio. My guess is that they will use this argument to eventually have our favorite stations go dark.

So go ahead and complain to BOTH KTLK and KFI as the law says they have to put all mail and email (no blogs like this) into their public file. However, THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE AN IMPRESSION is to complain to the FCC. And let Robin know you did. That's the only thing that will make her(?) sweat - besides Rush losing dozens of advertisers.

Here's the contact info:

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

Then choose: Broadcast (TV and Radio), Cable, and Satellite Issues

Then: Unauthorized, unfair, biased, illegal broadcasts (does NOT include Obscene, Profane or Indecent material)

And if you want to discuss these issues where someone with power can see them, try this:

http://www.fcc.gov/discuss

As Thom would say: Tag. Your it.

I have filled out the FCC form with my complaint.

To FCC"

Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 5:24 AM

Clear Channel has removed this progressive public service program from the Los Angeles area. This leaves me and the rest of the community without resources. The market is crammed with other unseemly daytime programs that I cannot and will not be forced to listen. I believe that I was put here to better serve my country and its people. I cannot do that with faulty information. The Thom Hartmann Show provided me with information so that I could make a positive difference in this world. Our area needs this program back on the public airwaves in Los Angeles. Please investigate why progressives are being shortchanged in this market. WE too are taxpayers.

Ladyhawke1's picture
Ladyhawke1

Actually, it's "Tag, you're it!"

Otherwise, I like your comments.

...and I can't get over the fact that I heard Clark Howard actually praise the decision from republicans to want to change Medicare to a voucher program. Right...and this loon gives people financial advice.

waynebeau's picture
waynebeau

I read online somewhere that the KFI/KTLK was being forced into more diversive programming. Now in Thom's time slot they have George Wallace, the comedian, and Oscar a latino. For some reason, they are required to have this type programming for 3 weeks. Maybe after that time they will put on Ed Shulz. This time slot is important to me because that is when I walk on the beach.

My current solution is to download the podcasts to my ipod. This solution costs, $6.97 per month, and is not live. The only good thing about this solution is there are no commercials.

chuckle8's picture
chuckle8

Senator Wyden, a democrat from Oregon, is also pushing the voucher program. Has anyone had the discussion with them to point out that the voucher system is a discount for rich people. Also, no senior will be able to buy health insurance with the voucher provided.

chuckle8's picture
chuckle8

I think there is more to this story than we know. I'm not buying the story from the programming director at KTLK until I hear it from Thom Hartmann himself. I'm asumming there has not been an official statement from Thom or did I miss it?

Jc Rants's picture
Jc Rants

It is a terrible time for LA and OC to lose you on the radio, especially now as we approach the Nov. election.

Some thoughts:
The 200-year-old battle still rages, Corporatism vs. Humanism. The Corporatists have used many strategies to confuse the issue, including:
1- Comparing the National Debt to GDP instead of Government Revenues - the Debt is about 15 times more than the government takes in each year.
2- Worker incomes have morphed into household incomes and are compared to inflation instead of Cost of Living - which has been doubling about every 15 years for Working Class Families since 1980.
3- Using Globalism, wars, credit cards and cheap imports to take our minds off our loss of good paying jobs.
4- Replacing the EPA, etc. with tons of regulations designed to drive the small players out of the marketplace.
Their BIG goal is to make both the country and each individual so financially desperate that they will need to sell everything, including their souls, to the BIG Corporations. I believe that the Terminator and The Matrix movies were so popular because they are a metaphore for rhe Corporate takeover of our planet.

db999's picture
db999

I sent KTLA

Dear K-Talk:

You have lost many listeners. Most of my friends listen to KTLA primarily to hear the Thom Hartmann show. We tuned in, either on the radio or by streaming broadcast, around 8am and just listened through the day. Now those who can, tune into KPOJ in Oregon.

It is generally the unemployed and poor that rely on TV and Talk-Radio to become informed. TV is useless as it is dedicated to sound bytes, print media is for people who have the money, inclination and time to read; that leaves only Talk-Radio for most of us. Almost all Talk-Radio shows are 90%+ opinion/misinformation and less than 2% reliable fact. Thom Hartmann was the only Liberal talk show that was 50%+ reliable fact. (If you subtract the 50% of the air-time given to advertising that means that 75%+ of the time he was giving expert information and a valuable perspective about America’s political and labor situation rooted in our history. There are a large number of people who are very hungry for that in this age of Bread and Circus. They feel as if it is giving them roots.

I would guess that you made it possible for over 10 million people to hear his voice. I know that as my friends discovered him they became enthralled. Southern California needs to be able to access voices like his, particularly as we approach the 2012 election. If the 99% of misinformation that currently fills the airwaves causes us to make the same mistakes that a number of States recently have and vote in a government that wants to strip us of our democratic rights, Including the right to vote. American Democracy will change from “One Person, One Vote” to “One Dollar, One Vote” and only the Billionaires will win, not even you.

It is for this reason that I ask you consider immediately finding a spot for Thom Hartmann’s show. Even a delayed broadcast would be welcome. I write you not in criticism but with a sincere appreciation for having hosted his show for so long.

Thank you,

David Bender
949-777-6720

db999's picture
db999

Yeah, something called Diverse LA. It's really lame. The guy they have on for the next three weeks is described as a "commedian" and his political persuasion is "conservative." WTH? Then at 3 p.m., they have this local yocal called David Cruz. He's also lame. Then they have a money talker and you have to wait until night time to get the progressives back. This morning thing happened when Thom and Ed Schultz switched time slots. Instead of carrying Ed live at 9 a.m., they stick on this Diverse LA thing, which is a bunch of garbage. Thankfully, I can stream KPOJ Portland and 1090 Seattle live from my work computer. But when I get in my car, I don't have Thom. I would gladly sacrifice Randi Rhodes for Ed or Thom any day! The powers that be are chipping away at our progressive talk and that scares me, especially in an election year!

scribe1128's picture
scribe1128

Until I hear from Thom Hartmann himself I'm not buying the time period conflict. Why would they promote a 3:00 slot for Thom and suddenly NO THOM?

He talked about moving the show to 3 but NEVER mentioned he would be off the air at KTLK. I listen to the show every day so I assumed like everyone else he would be there at 3. It seems obvious that his contract doesn't allow him to speak about this yet which is why we have not heard his version of what happened. None the less I think it's really important to let our voices be heard, we cannot afford to lose one of the most important progressive voices on radio. Without access to Am or Fm radio his message is limited.

Here is the e-mail address for KTLK and their Facebook page : USE IT !!!!!!!!

Email address -Programming@KTLKAM1150.com

Facebook link - http://www.facebook.com/ktlkam1150

Jc Rants's picture
Jc Rants
Quote db999:

I sent KTLA

Dear K-Talk:

...It is generally the unemployed and poor that rely on TV and Talk-Radio to become informed. TV is useless as it is dedicated to sound bytes, print media is for people who have the money, inclination and time to read; that leaves only Talk-Radio for most of us. Almost all Talk-Radio shows are 90%+ opinion/misinformation and less than 2% reliable fact. Thom Hartmann was the only Liberal talk show that was 50%+ reliable fact. (If you subtract the 50% of the air-time given to advertising that means that 75%+ of the time he was giving expert information and a valuable perspective about America’s political and labor situation rooted in our history. There are a large number of people who are very hungry for that in this age of Bread and Circus. They feel as if it is giving them roots.

I spent many years as a radio buyer, and I can tell you that KTLK (or any other commercial station, frankly) doesn't gives a darn about the poor and/or the unemployed. Stations want affluent listeners to attract advertisers, who want to reach consumers who will buy their products. Are there affluent progressives? Yes, they're all over the place. The problem is, many have no idea that KTLK exists. I cannot tell you how many people I've turned onto KTLK. But word of mouth won't cut it, and in my opinion, KTLK has never shown any initiative to build listenership. This is odd, considering that Clear Channel Communications is in the COMMUNICATIONS business, and when they go out to pitch potential advertisers, they sell them on the importance of communicating and making their product known in a competitive market. How curious it is that Clear Channel doesn't follow their own advice, in the extremely competitive L.A. radio market. I'll bet that with just a few well-placed outdoor boards (they OWN half the outdoor boards in the L.A. market), or a couple weeks of local advertising on MSNBC would double KTLK's audience. Instead, they'd rather broadcast Kings hockey (hockey is the least-listened to sport on radio, and Los Angeles isn't exactly a big hockey town). I really don't think Clear Channel wants KTLK to succeed in its progressive format -- especially in this election year. They'd rather we listened to blathering right-wing nit-wits, or nothing at all.

RexLAX's picture
RexLAX

For years, Clear Channel has been in the business of buying a music radio station, changing the format, minimizing the staff and the expenses, and plugging in a pre-recorded music program that is the same one played in many of their cities. I live in the Baltimore area, but travel frequently in the northern Viginia-D.C. area, and up into the Gettysburg area of Pensylvania. In my travels I have often heard the same canned music sets on one of their channels that I heard the day or two before on another. My guess is that it is less expensive for them to run a hockey game than to pay for a talk show such as Thom Hartmann.

Last year, I heard of a case on Democracy Now where a radio station was running unmanned when there was a train wreck. The train was carrying poisonous gas cars that derailed and leaked. Someone went to the radio station in an attempt to warn the listeners about the danger, but the doors were locked ... nobody was on shift. This story was being told in the middle of a discussion of Tropical Storm Irene's impact on Vermont in 2011 ... well, I'll just sit back and let Amy Goodman and Ken Squier finish the story ... (stay with me for a couple of minutes ... this is worth the time) ...

AMY GOODMAN: Now, I assume you’ve been getting offers of your station being bought, at least every week, from the major megacorporations—

KEN SQUIER: Yes.

AMY GOODMAN: —but you choose to remain independent. Talk, when you talk about public service, how media consolidation affected the coverage of this hurricane, which by the time it hit Vermont was actually a tropical storm, though it has wreaked terrible devastation on your state.

KEN SQUIER: Well, actually, "terrible," you’ve got to define that pretty carefully, Amy, because what I see is Vermont resiliency. You know, if you live up here and you get used to those three- and five-foot drifts in the winter, when we get those blizzards, people get along, and they work together. And that’s part of what local radio, if it’s properly done, in our minds, can make the difference. It brings the people together as a community. And I’m now ducking away from your question. Do it again. I’m sorry.

AMY GOODMAN: Well, just asking about how you feel media consolidation affected the ability for people to communicate in Vermont.

KEN SQUIER: I can’t tell you, because I haven’t listened to anybody else. But I can assure you that those systems—and it’s the old Minot, Dakota, story, where you couldn’t find a radio station with a human voice in it. It was all this canned material from outside. I’m sure that that was prevalent. So—

AMY GOODMAN: And that was at the time of a terrible train derailment—

KEN SQUIER: That’s exactly right.

AMY GOODMAN: —that led to an ammonia spill that made so many sick, but they could get no warning out because the stations were being programmed from outside the state of North Dakota.

KEN SQUIER: Indeed, yeah. Well, I’m sure that that went on, but one of the reasons that this radio station is 80 years old and still—kind of, I’m sure, seen as a fuddy duddy and a little grey—exists, because we are a reference, we are a place people can go to and feel assured that, whether it’s town meeting day or these days, these exceptional days that we’re going through right now, that they have a voice. And really, it’s the same old business about how radio needs to work, which is, let the people really be a part of it. And you can do that on a commercial radio station and exist. You won’t make quite the profit of the—of those milking machines that just pour out the music and treat it like milk. It is more than that. And it becomes something that is of consequence in the community. Radio needs to be of consequence. And I’m lecturing to the choir here, aren’t I?

(for video of this great interview or rest of transcript, go to the Democracy Now web site :
"Vermont Radio Station Provides Crucial Details for Flooded Residents amidst Historic Devastation" http://www.democracynow.org/2011/8/30/vermont_radio_station_provides_crucial_details )

I hope we didn't bore you; I think you get my point, or Ken Squiers ... I do not think Clear Channel does, which is why Thom's listeners on KTLK find themselves in this situation. Here's hoping this gets fixed somehow.

I feel your pain, having switched from Dish newtork to FIOS about a month ago ... I lost Free Speech TV and LINK TV, so I can only get Thom and Amy Goodman on the 'net. The schedule change has made it even harder to fit Thom's show in.

miksilvr

calling david cruz "lame" is pretty offensive. his focus is los angeles and he is a passionate reporter on important social and political issues specific to the area. he is very progressive, intelligent, and outspoken. i am a thom hartmann fan, but i also value "local yocals" because sweeping change comes in the form of little people fighting small battles in their communities -- battles that hosts like david cruz bring to the table. i'm sure thom would agree.

meanwhile, you thom hartmann worshippers who have spent all this time and energy speculating as to why/how/when thom's show isn't on anymore need a reminder that no one ever made a difference by listening to the radio. listening to thom hartmann is useful and informative, but it is not activism. we have access to the same news and historical facts he has access to. there are hundreds if not thousands of other excellent free programs, podcasts, and blogs out there to make use of. stop complaining about this one inconvenient schedule change, look at the big picture, and go out make and something happen yourselves.

bryanthelion's picture
bryanthelion

Currently Chatting

GOP Blocks Equal Pay...again.

Just in time for election season, Senate Republicans blocked legislation aimed at closing the gender pay gap. For the third time since 2012, Republicans refused to allow debate on the Paycheck Fairness Act, and reminded women that the GOP doesn't believe in equal pay for equal work.